Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Puzzle Game Competition / [LOCKED] Cubix!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 06:59 Edited at: 29th Jul 2005 17:56
By Paul Apgar
DBPro

Based on the board game Rubik's Race you must slide your colour pieces around until the center 3x3 grid of your deck matches that shown in the top right. The pieces can slide either on their own, or you can slide the entire row - making for a far more interesting game. Race against the computer or the clock. Just a note to say this game has a truly superb foot-tapping soundtrack!

Download: http://72.36.165.83/Cubix.zip

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2005 08:36
This is a brilliant game for sure - I utterly loved the music (as you can tell from my overview above!), I thought it fitted in well with the game. I also liked the AI opponent, although I did find myself not really looking at what he was doing at all, until in one match it was too late and he beat me just as I was making the final slides required.

Personally I really loathe those sliding puzzle games (where you have to make the picture again), but this is different enough to captivate m e - the fact you don't have to slide one piece at a time was great, the challenge of making the shape in the center was great too. Overall I loved it

I award this my 4th place vote.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 03:37
Pretty nice. Gfx were pretty functional but the tune is great.

The computer opponent is a really nice touch but because your blocks move much faster than his it's possible to win every game by simply copying his moves

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 04:08
I'll let DJ Pook know his tunes are appreciated.

As others have done here is the forum post with more screen shots. It shows Geecee's fonts (replaced by the ones above) but it also shows the stone and wood tiles sets.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=57366&b=5

While it is true that you can follow the computer opponent, that tactic becomes increasingly difficult and near impossible on the higher levels (Hard/Expert). And you'll never get a good high score as there is a bonus for how fast you solve each puzzle, which can be substantial.

Speaking of which, what are some people's high scores? My friends have been doing poorly in the game, but I think it's just them!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2005 06:50
Not bad at all and actually quite good fun trying to beat computer.

You just missed out on my top 10 and came 11th in my list.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2005 06:31
It does not look it from a screenshot, but this game plays slick and polished, combined with the idea of scoring on completing 'just the centre' makes the game much easier to play, which means more people can enjoy it. I am also quite partial to the 15-tile game

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2005 13:42
I get a great early endorsement from Rich, and compliments from the head cheese Bamber himself, but this post keeps sinking to the bottom faster than the Titanic. Such is my lot in life, I suppose.

This is going in my voting pile, but who knows if I'll give it a place, there are a lot of good games out there!

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2005 06:54
I'm giving myself a 4th place vote. Good job buddy!

Binary Agents
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2005 01:42
This gets a vote from me.
A simple idea (often the best) and very easy to start playing.
Bright, well presented visuals (good animation).
Nice music.

There isn't much bad to say about it, apart from the graphics and menu font could maybe be a bit more interesting. Its a great game though.

(I also have a pet hate about leaving the FPS counter on released games - but thats just me ).
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 14:44
Interesting game, Ive always liked the sliding puzzle games but putting a competetive element makes it a little too arcade like for my taste. The graphics are nice and it plays quite well, but I'd've liked a keyboard control, think of it from the idea you can press the arrow key for the block you want to move (if the black you want is to the left you press the left arrow key), I think that would've been little easier for the people who have trouble with rapid point and click gameplay (a battery powered mouse going dead is real pain in the 'recharge socket', sorry, Red Dwarf quote).

I think adding more variety in the colours would've made the game more challenging. Nice game but in the end, I felt there were better entries.

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it!

Current Projects: Lemmings Remake & (undecided)
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 02:15
This is a cool game, it works smoothly and the random element means it stays challenging. It's good that you only have to complete a small bit in the middle rather than the whole picture, as those things get tedious when you only have one or two bits to put back.

I found it a little easier as I've been working on Dance Matt for several weeks which is a similar sort of concept.

Once I was but the learner, now, I am the Master.
See my site for amazing games and demos!
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 06:33
Quote: "This gets a vote from me."

Thanks for the vote! I'm glad Rich, Lee, and myself weren't the only ones.

Quote: "you can press the arrow key for the block you want to move (if the black you want is to the left you press the left arrow key), I think that would've been little easier "

This would be easy to implement, I suppose I could add it in the future. I think in the more difficult levels, it's important to be able to move the tiles a row at a time. Using keys to move a tile around the perimeter of the 3x3 center so it can go on the other side of the puzzle would be time-consuming with just keys.
Adding more colors is definitely an option. The original boardgame had 6 colors so I stuck to that, but no reason why I'd have to. I also had an idea to setup a "fixed" block that you couldn't move, but had to slide tiles around. It didn't make it into the final version, though. Thanks for your comments!

Quote: "I found it a little easier "

A statement like that requires a high score posting! Thanks for the compliments I hope you enjoyed the game.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 11:52
Great game, gets my vote!

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 07:13
Thanks for the vote glad you liked it! I may not place 53rd after all.

Be sure to check out the source code if you see something in the game you liked. I also included a small menu/fade system example project just in case someone needed it.

3 days left, get those votes in before it's over!

Spambergo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2005 18:06
Yes, definately a good game! It kept me going longer than msny of the other entries. Not any real flaw that pops into my mind. Your concept has been perfectly transfered to the game. Good job, you get my 4th place vote!

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2005 10:53
Pro's:
This game is FUN! It has that good element
Puzzle is definatly there, even though it is a simple edea.
Funky music beat popin' along in the background.
Nice sound, relevent effects.
Graphics are nice, especially the "Plastic" tileset!
Controls are simple, and ACCURATE, a thing that a few games seem to be lacking, but that this one nails!
Menu is great and easy to use.

Con's:
The Computer AI is a bit stupid. I can beat it everytime. I even stoped to have a breif chat with my dormie, and I still managed to win
Not really any "levels" as such, just a continuing play with slightly different puzzles each time.

Comments:
A very nice game, and fun to boot!
Everything is very well-rounded, and the game-play is complete.
I think I'll give this one some votes

Third Place

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 05:50
Thanks for the votes guys, much appreciated.

@JessTicular
Thanks for the compliments, it's always nice to see more pro's than con's!

Quote: "The Computer AI is a bit stupid. I can beat it everytime. "

There are 5 levels of difficulty, from "Easy" all the way to "Expert". It can be changed in the menu. When you beat the AI opponent 3 times on a particular level, it "ups" the difficulty. In Expert the AI takes about 23-27 seconds to solve the puzzle which I think is pretty fast but possible to beat if done right. I can do it if I make no mistakes, but have trouble doing it consistently and only win 2/3 at that level.

If you keep on winning on Expert, then you must be one mad clicking fool! Let me know what your high score was!

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2005 11:43
Ah, well there you go... I didn't see the difficulty setting ( stupid, stupid Jess ).

I guess it was a bit stupid on the easiest setting, which is expected

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:17:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:17:13