Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Cartography shop in DBPro???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If I were to design a dungeon type maze in Cartography Shop, how do I implement it into DBPro? I tried learning though the tutorial, but I can't even get a map to load (even one saved in the ASCII format).

loadmap ("dungeon.map", mapsize)
(I've tried using the entire filename as well as bringing it into DBPro with the 'media' tab on the lower right hand side)

when I run the program it tells me that it doens't understand the command. So I am wondering if you can do it through Cartography shop and still implement all the collision testing for walls and stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 00:00
what type of file are you exporting? if its a BSP style map, then try load bsp? if its an obejct then LOAD OBJECT.. Load Map is not a command in DBP as far as I know...

My Website:
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
which would be better to save as: BSP or object? I got the "loadmap" command from the DBPro tutorial on 'Creating huge Dungeons'. I'm fairly new at DBPro so if there's any snippets you could suggest to give me a reference that would be great. I have Cartography shop down. My only real problem is how to bring it into DBPro and handle the collision test to prevent you from walking through walls.

~V.J.C. 2003
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 06:14
I personally think it's better to export as a .X file, then use

As for collision, i suggest you do a search around the forums.. Newton's, Nuclear Glory etc can all take care of this for you.

WindowsXP Home(Service pack 2), Athlon XP 2400+(2.01Ghz), 1GIG Ram, Ati Radeon 9800Pro 128MB.
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok thanks!!! I have the Nuclear Glory. Guess I have to figure out how to use it Will look around for help with that. So when I load the .x map into DBPro, it brings the textures and all with it right? So then all I will have to worry about is item placement, lighting, creatures, and collisions?

~V.J.C. 2003
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 12:01
If you use the .csm importer you can write one code to use the map file data to set all of that up for you. The .csm importer costs money so it is totally up to you, but it is what I use and is incredily easy to setup entities and what not I posted an example with sourcecode in the cshop forum with NGC collisions.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2005 14:54
When you export your level as an X model, it will also export the textures to the same folder, so you don't need to worry about it ... and BTW, you may want to use the X exporter I wrote (see the CShop forum), as it's a little more flexible that the official one.

If you don't mind writing your own file parser, then you can use either the official entity exporter or my properties exporter (see the CShop forum) to dump out all associated entity/property information for location of objects.

The difference between the two exporters is that the official one exports entities and their properties, while mine exports all properties, whether they belong to entities, brushes, or groups.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried to load the .x file into DBPro using the 'load object' command:

load object "object.x",1

position camera 0,0,0 `to place camera in center of object

then I did a simple repeat statement to view the image until the spacebar is hit

repeat

until spacekey()=1

But all I get is a blue screen. How do I view the object that I've loaded? I know I can use the command 'control camera using arrowkeys' to test walk the image without collision.But I need to figure out how to display the object I've imported. Please help.

~V.J.C. 2003

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 13:32:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 13:32:50