Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Make mesh from object with over 21844 polys ... again

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 08:54
Even though this code doesn't crash anymore:

The mesh is empty.

This may be what is causing the "Save mesh with over 21844 polys" bug in my other scheduled thread.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 11:41
Bump. Can anyone even test this to be confirmed?

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 11:45
Yeah, doesn't work here either. Absolutely nothing appears, and there are no polygons shown by statistic(1).

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 19:01
I just read a little DirectX tutorial, and I may be wrong, but I think I read that most graphic cards only support a vertex index that uses 2 bytes (16bit). So DBP probably uses for VertexIndex the 2byte format.

in 2 bytes, you can at most have 65'536 values. that means you can at most have 65'536 distinct vertices. since you need 3 vertices to create a polygon, this means you can have at most 21'845 distinct polygons. this is obviously exactly the maximum amount of polys that you said can be made to a mesh (in your thread title).

So this seems to be a normal limit to objects in normal DirectX Object with 16bit VertexIndex format!

However, if your graphic cards supports it, you can increase the bits used for the VertexIndex, to do this you would need to manually set the d3d9 render device to use another format.

BUT DBpro seems to use the D3DFMT_INDEX16 flag when creating indexbuffers, so it wont be possible to do this in DBP.

If your graphic hardware does not support it, then you may need to use the software renderer of DirectX. but DBP doesnt let you specify this I guess, nor does it let you specify to set the D3D_Index Format to use... (since most graphic cards don't support more than 16bits anyways, but this may have changed nowadays, I don't know!)

greets,
Barnski.

-- I just started with DarkSDK, by translating DBP Projects. --
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 20:06
that polycount is kind of high for one object no?

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 00:47 Edited at: 24th Feb 2006 00:49
@Barnski

Well done, youre one clever cookie

@Lost

Im guessing youre going for such a high poly model because youre still using limbs? I think its time we admit defeat, and pray objects will be getting some love. When they release the beta, ill test all my 'objects suck' related issues again. THEN we can start kicking and screaming if those issues are ignored as well.

*edit wait you cant be breaking a single mesh into limbs. What ARE you doing with a single mesh that complex? Oh well im sure you have your reasons, but Barnski made a pretty convincing case that it might just be a directx limitation

All you need is zeal
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2006 03:01 Edited at: 24th Feb 2006 09:28
Oddly enough it worked in 5.8 for the most part As best I can remember.

[edit] NM due to problems with u6.0 I installed 5.8 and the mesh was also empty. I have NGC working woth advanced terrain though so it may actually be a bug with the make object command. I'll test with memblock info later.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 14:20
Fixed for U6 beta2:

* MAKE OBJECT can now handle raw meshes passed in that exceed the 65535 vertex index limit (by not using an index buffer)

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 14:34
so what does this mean for the fvf memblock mesh formats?

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 14:44
Nothing really I would guess as it didn't keep up with indexs anyway. In any case as long as I can get my verts' info for plugins ... awesome.

re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 15:09
just wondering what the index buffer was, and if it has anything to do with the face buffers of dbc

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 12:49
Seems to be working great in U6 B2. Do you have any idea what the theoretical poly limit is just so we know? If not I'll run a test when I ge time and post it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 21:45:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 21:45:11