Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / X-Box 360 Controller for Windows

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2006 13:21
This is mostly the result of some freetime yesterday on my brother's computer after mine blew up; but it's a DLL that allows you to use up to 4 X-Box 360 Controllers at once.

I'm sure enough of you have X-Box 360's to actually make it worth releasing this right now. Haven't tested it fully yet and the naming conventions suck, plus there's no help at present.

I'll probably clean it up a bit, add in the Audio Control, some more advanced functions, etc. Not sure what to do about the updating right now. All I'm doing is updating a single controller as you call for it, in the long run that might be quite costly speed-wise. So might switch it to a global update command. Personally I'd love to be able to set it to automatically update using the message queue, but I don't know how to do that with a DLL.

Well anyways the next step, after making the function names better will be to make a few simple and fun games to test. Like the XInputGame with the current SDK.

Well anyways, Enjoy.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2006 16:21
hmm.. no comments yet? is that a good or a bad sign?
I'd like some sort of input, like features people might find useful ... common rumble effects or such? What nameing convention to use for each function?

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2006 16:58
i'll say it is something that i think is a good idea, i would of done it if i had the time or infact an x360 controller, but i'm not sure how many people have a x360 controller

a point which needs raising is that you will need the latest dx runtime from the december release (perhaps october) to get this working as xinput is a relatively new thing in dx

amd athlon xp 2600+,1280mb,FX 5200 128mb,200gb,xp pro sp2
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2006 17:02
yeah, if anyone need the debug dll (forgot that's the one i uploaded) i'll upload it next time i'm on... or just upload the release version

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
cool, I will go and try this out.
FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
raven, I get a can not find xinput9_1_0.dll error when I try to use this. Do you know why I am getting this error?
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2006 18:43
you need the latest directx, so that is the december release, i know when you install the sdk it updates it but a part from that i'm not sure if the standard installer does, but i would think it would

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
IanG thanks, that stopped the error but now when I run the programs it just tells me can’t find controller or some thing like that? Do you know why?
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds useful I do have an controller might try it out later.

The admiral
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2006 15:13
Not sure why it wouldn't find the controller..
I used the October 2005 SDK to compile the DLL, so maybe there are some xinput differences? As I don't have access to download stuff until next week it'll be hard to tell if that's the issue.

The DLL works for my controller (which is X-Box 360, rather than X-Box 360 for Windows cause I couldn't find one in any of the local shops), but I did install the 360 for Windows software from the Microsoft website.

Oh probably something to note, is it goes Controller 0-3 not 1-4
I was thinking about changing it, but I wasn't too sure.
So if you want to check each of the controllers are connected something like:

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, I will try installing 360 for windows.
FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven can you give me a link to the 360 for windows?
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2006 11:27
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx

Sorry I haven't been on the past week, but not had a chance.
Working on something new now, and my new PSU came today so can finally get back to some serious work.

dapaintballer 331
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 04:23
i have 2 xbox 360 wireless controllers

i cut my old xbox controllers for the computer and used a different dll for some racing games

~`Gamerssoft.com'~
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 13:50
Quote: "i cut my old xbox controllers for the computer and used a different dll for some racing games"

xbcd by any chance?

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad to hear your pc is running again. I installed the 360 for windows and it works now. This is very cool; I Proffer The pc over all counsels but my brother can’t stand ASWD and a mouse so maybe he will play some of my games now I can get them to work on his Xbox 360 controller.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 22:33
Updated the plug-in. Changed the syntax to be more DBP friendly, as well as speeding up the times; so it responds much better now.
Have added audio, but not exposed due to bugs.

Added a help file, as well as the keywords and examples. Worth checking out and having a go.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, Will download now.
Thanks

What ever happend to the shader pack, are you still working on it?
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 22:38
working on a replacement shader system for dbpro, but not shaders for the time being.

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, How is it coming?
And how much will it be, or is it free?
I would not mind paying for a good shader system.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 23:49
Depending on how much downtime I can get over the next 2 weeks, hopefully it'll be done basically over the next few weeks.
There are some major issues I need to over-come with Mike/Lee's help, which I need them to actually respond to thier e-mail's more often about. (given my lack of real internet access and messenger useage)

I'm stuck on how to update without having the user do it, or having a seperate graphics pipeline (which could screw things up). There's also the fact of how to interact with the current object setup; which unfortunately isn't designed to optimise, so you get huge data being passed with far more calls than necessary. It's causing some major bottlenecks in performance forcing a reliance on the CPU more; and GPU.

Sad thing about some tasks is the more you delve in, sometimes the more you feel that you need to enhance other aspects. So I'm trying my best to stay focused on the Shader System and nothing but. Same goes for the ODE System. I have a feeling though that next week when I get VC2005 Pro delivered; I'm just going to scrap the current DBP Rendering Pipeline and 3D System .. replace with my own. From where I'm sitting provided I give support for DirectX (D3DX has it) and DBO, then I'm safe.

I'm hoping to use this DLL + my DirectSound one (release it sometime over the next week) as portfolio work for tgc so I can work on these full-time as part of the company.

FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Ths new DLL syntax is much easier to use, and the help file are very nice.

I can't wait to see the shader system when it's finally done and what is the ode system you were talking about?

I just got microsoft visual studio 2005 standard edition (got it for like $40 because Im still a Student), it is really nice, although I don't really know how to use it yet. I am currently learning C++, I just bought C++ primer and it is on its way from amazon right now.
Benji
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 06:32
@ Raven
Can you also use the DLL for Xbox controllers, not 360?
FINN MAN
Years of Service
User Offline
how are you going to connect the xbox controlor to the pc in the first place?
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 13:19
Unfortunately this only covers the current X-Box 360 Controllers.
This said, I don't know why anyone would want the hassle of converting the older controllers. They are far more difficult to use, and are a pain to create the extension/converter cord for.

Currently the X-Box 360 Controllers and Controllers for Windows are being sold for between ÂŁ22-25 in most stores. So that isn't too bad for a new controller, and you'll probably start seeing compatible 3rd party controllers soon. Worth checking out, when you can.

Hopefully the WiFi Controllers will be supported soon. That unfortunately is up to Microsoft; that's provided they're not already. Not had any WiFi equippment to check.

Glad you like the new syntax, I was trying to make it much easier to use. Think it came off quite well. Also tried to make the help more helpful, covering the subjects rather than individual commands. So I'm also glad that was liked too.

You will find that Express Edition is still free for the next year btw.

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2006 16:59
Quote: "how are you going to connect the xbox controlor to the pc in the first place? "

the xbox controller is usb, you chop off the end and match the colours ignoring the yellow wire iirc

Quote: "This said, I don't know why anyone would want the hassle of converting the older controllers. They are far more difficult to use, and are a pain to create the extension/converter cord for."

money? its cheaper to do it that way cause you dont have to spend money on a new controller

and it isnt that difficult to make, not if your good at soldering and have loads of insulating / duck tape

the only real advantage of using an old xbox controller is that you can use direct input with it - using the xbcd driver - but that being said, it might just be easier to use the m$ ones as they are the offical ones

before anyone asks, you can not use an xbox controller with the 360 drivers, it does not work, but might do with some modding

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 13:40
Perhaps cheaper if you already have an X-Box controller I suppose, but still the 360 controller is fairly cheap and works with both without modding or anything.

Fairly idiot proof. (note the fairly part)

Note: you should use the debug dll instead of the release one.
Quick answer to why is, for some reason the release one doesn't passback values correctly all the time.

Not entirely sure why, but have a feeling there is some incompatibility between DBPro and Visual C++ 2005. Sending the stuff to Mike to find out as DBPro is still being developed with 2003. It's probably something simple like the Unicode being on; but want a second opinion on it.

Just for people to note down for the time being...
DLLs in order of development:

XACT (DirectSound)
That's pretty much all I'm going to concentrate on for the next week or so.
Plan it to provide a very versitile sound system, and I'm sure the compatbility with both this and the XACT DLLs with the X-Box 360 and Vista is just an odd coincidence.

Hope people are enjoying this one though, I can see quite a few people on here are bitching about their 360's. might as well have *some* use out of something that comes with it. heh

Dangerous Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 07:13
Howdy I was attempting to play around with the 360 DLL and was just curios if it was compatible with 6.1 dbp or if I'm just a loser Dropping it in the plugins-user folder would crash any exe even if not including any commands from it. This thread is kind of old so I just wasn't sure about the versioning.
This looks awesome and I sure hope I can get it working.
TIA!
Dangerous Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 20:02
Shameless bump....
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " how are you going to connect the xbox controlor to the pc in the first place?"

My XBox 360 came with a wireless controler so no USB connection

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 04:51
I'm having the same kind of trouble as Dangerous Dan, it would seem. Crashes as soon as I try to compile. Every time. Sure hope there's a solution to this problem, whatever it is. Including downgrading my DBPro installation.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 05:30
I actually got some kind of error message eventually, and not just a crash.

This is with a non-updated DBPro version. Message reads:
"Command in DLL command-table unrecognised (CONTROLLER CONNECTED[%DD%dbControllerConnected%)"

Those are the exact characters, of course. Would seem to be a possible bracket thing? Just my layman's guess.
Dangerous Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 18:50
At least you got an error of some type... mine still just crashes out. I would love to use this as it's the only way I know of being able to use the rumble feature of the controller. I havn't seen Raven on the boards of late so I don't know if this is a version issue or if the DLL is just broke. If you come up with any workarounds please post them here so I can steal your hard work I'll keep poking around as well. Hopefully we can get this figured out.
Dangerous Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 21:16
Also, I just emailed Raven on this as well. *crosses fingers*
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 01:58
I also sent an e-mail a few days back, but no response yet. So the guy may have a vacation or similar. Who knows. Too bad, though, because I practically bought a 360 controller for this purpose. It has its uses, of course, but for the 360 I actually already have four wireless ones... Call me stupid if you want

Anyway, I guess Raven will appear some day to solve all our problems. Just hope that day isn't a hundred years from now.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 15:24
Does anyone know what's happened to Raven? Is he just off, or has he left for good? I mean, summer does tend to mean that people have vacations and such... Is that his case as well? Anyone?
Lover of games
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't seem to download it, anyone have a better link? cause when I tried to go to the website Raven posted it didn't go through. it said the site " was unable to service your request. You may wish to choose from the links below for information about Microsoft products and services." It would be greatly appriciated if i could have that DLL so i can test games better rather then use a mouse and Keyboard. Thank you.

"Originally I was going to have a BS on it but you know how that would be. I can't walk around with the letters BS on me." More or less a qoute by Syndrome from Jack, Jack, attack
Lover of games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 19:01 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 01:03
I retract my question. I didn't see the red link

EDIT:

When I tried to go to the link got 360 for windows it didn't work. Would i get flamed if i asked someone to post it so i could download it? Cause i think that MIGHT be the reason why it says that the command couldn't determine the parameter of the commands. errr. I mean:

P.S. Sorry, but i figured since not alot of people could help me in Darkbasic pro forum i could try back here. thanks.

"Originally I was going to have a BS on it but you know how that would be. I can't walk around with the letters BS on me." More or less a qoute by Syndrome from Jack, Jack, attack
FlameDan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 21:49
Can someone please help me? Where to i put the files and such?
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 08:13
Not been on holiday, just lost the internet for a while.

Requirements for DLL:
- Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or 2
- 300 MHz CPU
- DarkBASIC Professional 1.05.0 or above
- DirectX9.0c
- XBOX360 Controller for Windows Drivers (available from http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/DownloadResult.aspx?prod=pk_xbox_cont&os=xp&lang=en&driverVersion=Download%20XBox%20360%20Controller%20for%20Windows)

Microsoft have announced they will soon be supporting their Wireless controller soon for Windows, which has the same requirements. I'll see about releasing an update version of this DLL soon.

To Install:
Copy the contents of the folder to your DarkBASIC Professional folder, then copy the DBProXInput.Debug.DLL to your Compiler/User-Plugins folder

Don't use the Release version, as it had some major flaws due to the version of Visual C++ 2005 I was using. Microsoft have since assured me that these issues have now been corrected in Express.

Intel Pentium-D 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR2 433, Ati Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB PCI-E, Windows Vista RC1 / XP Professional SP2
moreVD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 22:22 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2006 00:40
hello raven

Help! i will put in order of what iv done so far
1. i downloaded the file from above
2. un-rared to my desktop into a folder
3. i cut X360.Debug.dll then pasted it into Crogram FilesThe Game CreatorsDark Basic ProfessionalCompilerplugin-User
4. started dbpro laoded the simple controler example then make exe/run and i keep getting an error saying that it can not find Crogram FilesThe Game CreatorsDark Basic Professionalcontrolercontroller examplessimple controler\../x86/simplecontroller.exe'.Make sure you have typed the name correctly

windows xp-sp2, directx 9.0c(4.09.0000.0904)
xbox 360 gamepad wired, microsofts own driver
dbpro 1.062

sorry if iv over looked something simple here. I got this dbpro over 12 months ago but stoped using it because there wasnt enought suport for gamepads i just hope i can sort this out thanks

i could not find DBProXInput.Debug.DLL in the download or did you name it as X360.Debug.dll
Kaurotu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 02:09
Hey Raven, can you help me?

Every time I try to compile the example code, my compiler crashes. I downloaded the driver from MS and followed your instructions. Have an idea on what's happening?

[url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Kaurotu]

[/url]
Agent766
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 03:17
It may be a long way away, but so some how think you can get a program to work for Nintedo Wii remotes? I may seem to be asking an absurd question, but I'm a noob and still don't know the full potential of DBC let alone DBP with DLLs. It's probably possible, but maybe not for a while.

There are 3 kinds of people: Ones who can count, and ones who can't.

Did you know five out of four people have trouble with fractions?
Kaurotu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 00:14
Quote: "It may be a long way away, but so some how think you can get a program to work for Nintedo Wii remotes? I may seem to be asking an absurd question, but I'm a noob and still don't know the full potential of DBC let alone DBP with DLLs. It's probably possible, but maybe not for a while."

Well the Wiimotes work a lot different than Xbox controllers. The first step would getting Windows to actually find and use the Wiimote. And since the Wii is from Nintendo, I don't see it happening. The only reason Xbox controllers work with Windows is obvious: they are both from Microsoft.

[url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Kaurotu]

[/url]
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 15:46 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 15:54
http://simulatedcomicproduct.com/blog.php

The cWiimote libraries have been released, would be cool if we could get these into DBPro.

EDIT: of course you would need to get it to pick up a bluetooth connection, which i imagine would be a pain in the arse...

Alexxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 21:35
Is it possible to use an Xbox controler with my pc, if the controler is wireless? or does it have to be wired?
Howy
Years of Service
User Offline
k i'm having problems with this. i have a wireless xbox 360 controller, with the drivers installed, and the reciever, but when i try to run the game, it doesn't respond to the controller. what am i doing wrong?
Catalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 03:51 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 04:31
I'm having a problem with this too. Downloaded a driver...not sure if it's the right one since there seems to be multiple versions of a 360 controller driver and the one Raven links do brings up a blank page, but I installed a driver for it and when I plug my 360 controller in it pops up saying 360 controller for windows and says it's all happy.

I'm on XP with SP1, DBPro 6.5 update and I have the Feb07 DX installed. When I try to run any of the sample code it just crashes. If I disconnect the controller and try to run the program, it still crashes. Any ideas?

EDIT: I've tried 2 different 360 controller drivers now and checked the dates on them. One is from 2005, the other is from 2007...so I'm guessing I've just used the first driver and the most recent driver, no luck on either of them.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 15:59
The plug-in is not compatible with Microsoft Xbox Controller for Windows Driver 1.1, because of a number of major changes in it.
Namely Wireless (Bluetooth) contollers and Xbox button.

I've also not updated this to support the newer versions of DarkBASIC Professional, it was designed to run on 6.0; and I've not had a chance in quite a while to test how it works with the new versions.

Will see about working on a new version, see what I can come up with.

Slooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 00:10
Is it possible for me to be allowed to put this plugin on my website?

You never fail, only make mistakes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:35:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:35:10