Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Abeyance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 19:00
I know I am working on Ronin, and have posted this waaay back, but what I have plans to do is work on a project alongside Ronin using the same engine (Or using the old Ronin engine I partially built before Sett joined) As soon as I sort out the characters for ronin in 3D modelling and possibly after the intro area has been built too, I'll get start on Abeyance myself and direct Sett into what I need in Ronin and helping him with any required media, to save time I am attempting the FFVII style of modelling, which hopefully work out fine.

Team members:
I hope to achieve this single handed (or almost single handed as animeblood donated a logo and hud)

Special thanks so far on concepts/ideas/whatever:
Heckno (From the original TGC Abeyance thread)
Discostu (From the thread on my own forum)
Animeblood

And so onto the stuff:

Your name is Jack Keats, you work at the canned food factory in the year 2010 in a world parallel to our own, you live in a society where by law you take a pill that takes away your emotions three times a day, being lead by a fascist leader he expects all of society to conform to his messages pumped in through the media and keeps all of society at bay and robot like, anyone who displays non robot like behaviour is arrested and re-brainwashed, if unsuccessful, no one knows what happens, except that person is never seen again. In Jacks story, his wife is taken away be the police for not forgetting to take her pills and she began to develop individuality, Jack however at first agreed to this being the law (As he could not feel anything for her) But because his wife did not take the drugs he soon realised he could stop taking them and wanted to know what it felt like to have these emotions, and so he stopped taking them and managed to fool people into convincing them he took them, however this meant he comes to realise that society is wrong and attempts to riot at work, and as the police arrive to take him to be brainwashed, he picks up a crow bar and tries to escape from the factory through back roads where he is inaccessible by the Police, and comes accross and antique weapon store and steals a short sword, and uses it to augment his escape from the city, only to find a resistance group ambushing him outside of the city and finds out that he is a stray.

During the process of not taking his drugs he goes through various side effects such as a reaccuring nightmare of the Grim Reaper chasing him down and killing him, and as soon as Jack is able to beat the Grim Reaper he breaks into his full independance from the society brainwash.

When in the underground society he meets a couple of people who train him up for an attack on a police base camp, the two people become party members.

Character:
John Keats
Weapon : Sword

Ingame model (FF7 style)

Concept model (Possibly will be used in videos, but I doubt it)

Tools to be used:
Dark Basic Proffesional
Cinema 4D
3D World Studio (as soon as I buy it)
Photoshop
Anvil Studio (I know its midi, however FFVII was midi, best to use midi music)

Yey! I removed the sig...
A Llama called Dalai
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 20:36
I'm not going to lie. The story is awesome, and it looks like you definately have the skill required to make this game happen. All I have left to say is good luck.

common people are walking in line.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 21:48
Thanks, I think I can pull it off along side my other project as it will be using the same/similar engine

A Llama called Dalai
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 21:50
Um, only things I have to say about that is, maybe add a few more years to that since 2010 is only 3 years away....just to make the player be like what if?...also if I recall correctly, FFVII was not midi but Mp3 like in sound because of not all the songs sound exactly midi, and the last song {sephiroth} wasnt a midi...

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 23:50
To be honest I'm crap with those tracker programs, I can only really do midi music unless there are other music maker programs that are free that don't use midi, then I'd be happy to really, FFVII did use midis other than that one song, the reason they did not sound midi is because they used a software yamaha synthesiser, as of yet I haven't found any of those for download that work on XP.

As for 2010, I'll add a few years, but still the technology level won't be too much higher and is set in a differant world, as the book 1984 was set in 1984 which the ideas from this are loosely based on.

Anyway, thanks for the comments

A Llama called Dalai
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 10:19
Sounds like a great game, it will be interesting to see the progress of it. I did recognize the story from 1984 though

I never was much of a FF player, I never liked turn based fighting that much. What is the fighting system going to be like?

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 11:02
Ok, stupidly nitpicking question of the day - if it's a society of emotionless people, who I'd imagine are only interested in the here and now, and what they're 'programmed' to pay attention to, why would there be an antique weapons store?

Surely these are people who have no interest in history, culture, collecting or aquiring non-state-sponsored useless goods?

If what you meant was, that there was an old, broken down shop down some sealed back alleyway that hadnt yet been demolished to make way for more factories/flats, then that might make sense to me
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 12:43
Quote: "If what you meant was, that there was an old, broken down shop down some sealed back alleyway that hadnt yet been demolished to make way for more factories/flats, then that might make sense to me"

Bingo, guess I should be a bit more clear, glad you knew what I meant.

@Bolt thanks, its going to be turnbased, I always like the turnbased games, its only been in the 21st century I've begun to like hack and slash

A Llama called Dalai
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 16:41 Edited at: 15th Apr 2006 16:47
Dude, i think you got too many similarities with the movie Equilibrium. Is it by any chance your source of inspiration? If so then i respect that fact but i feel you should diverge from the story to some extent or risk your game being dismissed as a rip-off after all your had work has been put into developing the game.

Some of your ideas are cool though, like the visions of the Reaper. I also strongly advise completing Ronin before embarking on Abeyance. Ideas for new games tend to crop-up while your alredy making a game and this is a major temptation that disrupts progress in either.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 16:49
My ideas were inspired by 1984, I think equiillibrium was an attempt to turn 1984 into the matrix and I didn't think much of it.

As for finishing Ronin I can do that with out it being effected by this project, which is why I chose the FFVII style, because its quicker, I started coming up with the idea when Ronin was in the planning stages and when that was going on, I thought perhaps I could get them to work together once the engine for ronin is programmed, which I plan to do, if it don't work out, I'll close it down temporaily before even making a wip post

A Llama called Dalai
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2006 12:26
lol hex gear beat me to it, as soon as i read the line, by law you need to take pills each day to suppress emotions. But still, i love the ff7 style characters, yell out if you want some help on game design. (as in how the story unfolds, where characters should be placed in the room etc.)

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2006 13:27
Kewl thanks, and well I might change the drug thing and make it into something else, when re looking at my ideas it does seem a bit too much along the lines of Equilibrium even if I didn't have that in mind at the time, possibly emotions will be removed by a daily media brainwash, however I can't really think of anything that wouldn't work other than drugs.

And Wigget if I need story help I'll give you a shout, thanks

A Llama called Dalai
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2006 16:27 Edited at: 16th Apr 2006 16:27
Just thought Id throw an idea out there as a substitute for the pills;

Oh, if you're the type of person that likes coming up with their own ideas way more than having someone else help them out (I'm kinda like that...) then just ignore this.

- RUC'

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2006 16:38

How do you think of stuff like this? That was seriously awesome.

common people are walking in line.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2006 18:25
@RUCCUS, thats a good idea, so I'll take it , I'm not usually a person who will take other peoples ideas, but I've decided to be more open minded, it definately works better than a TV brainwashing system or pills as it adds more gameplay

@Froz thanks, I am a writer and a lot of it was inspired by George Orwells 1984

A Llama called Dalai

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:19:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:19:19