Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 02:07
I have a game in which i need perfect sphere-box and sphere-polygon collision...

Is there any way to accomplish this without buying nuclear glory?

All these expansion packs r going 2 bankrupt me...
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 03:30
nuclear glory the way to go.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 03:34
I would recommend NGC as well, though you can do it with this:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5

Bmad6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 03:37 Edited at: 21st Apr 2006 03:39
Is this system acurate?

EDIT: and, would it do what I want it to do?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 03:38
Yes. Very fast and accurate. Just a bit harder to use than NGC IMO. Plus NGC has alot of extras.

Bmad6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 03:40
What commands do I need to use to do this? These commands are really confusing...
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not a real big advocate of relying on plugins for functionality either. Ours does exist as a solid solution, and in our own ventures we do our best to make sure our software is as hardcore as possible.

Any NGC specific questions feel free to ask.

Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2006 04:00
Quote: "What commands do I need to use to do this? These commands are really confusing... "
Thats why I would recommend NGC. There are a few example that come with Sparky's.

Bmad6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 07:14
If i buy the current version of NG, do i have to pay again to get the next version? Or do I get it all?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 07:18
If you buy v3 through TGC or v4 (through emailing matthew or waiting for the site to get finished) you get all v4 upgrades free I believe.

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
That is correct. v3 and v4 users get all v4 updates for free.

Bmad6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 18:52
But, for example, do I get v5 and beyond?
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
We don't have plans to release a v5.

v4 will be upgraded to handle as much as we can think of for both collision and physics. It has already been upgraded to be extremely fast.

So, you will get free upgrades to every forseeable feature.

In the end you can really only go so far with collision. Once it collides and responds properly how do you upgrade that? LOL.

Bmad6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 07:06
Yes, i can definitely see your point there.

Ok, then, I guess I've just got to buy it, then... thanks to all of you for your input!
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Any problems or questions just ask. We will be restoring online ordering directly from us within the next 48 hours.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 23:28 Edited at: 24th Apr 2006 23:29
Quote: "nuclear glory the way to go."

You didn't hear what he said did you?

Get Sparky's DLL. Free, and better than NG.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 05:06 Edited at: 25th Apr 2006 05:06
Quote: "and better than NG. "

Name one way it's better.

With our latest v4.02 release Sparky's DLL does not outperform our plugin in speed. In all other methods our plugin outperforms Sparky's plugin in accuracy (sphere-to-mesh and response).

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 07:36
I have one main reason: it's free, something people on this forum like.

Another thing...I went to your site in your signiture, and looked everywhere but could'nt find a list of commands or even a download. Just a forum. No offense, but Sparky's DLL seems easier to find to me.

All in all, from what I've seen, you seem to have a nice thing going there, and I don't doubt it. In fact, well done, I couldn't have done that myself! I think it's amazing that you have created NG. But all I'm saying is, I prefer the price tag on Sparky's DLL.

Uncle Sam
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
The site is being updated.

If we do our job, the price tag should be the only benefit Sparky's plugin has over ours.

Also, using sphere/ellipsoid collision with automatic response is not something that comes standard in Sparky's plugin (much of the response code is left up to the programmer). So to that degree I could argue the issue of "ease", but I won't.

Demo version downloads of the NGC will be availble in a few days.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 20:31
Oh yeah, using two commands for each obbject, that's so difficult...

At least farting ferrets are better than stinky stoats.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 05:19 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 05:19
Quote: "Also, using sphere/ellipsoid collision with automatic response is not something that comes standard in Sparky's plugin "

Are you kidding? Sphere collision is a breeze! Let's compare code... Post up some code of what you would do for sphere collision in a 3D game with NG.

Uncle Sam
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 05:24
With NGC all you have to do is move the object and then call runcollisionpro() once per loop and it will auto-slide all of your objects depending on what type of response you set it to. Have you even used NGC? Sparky's system is quite nice for a free system. If you want ease of use and portability I would use NGC (as I do).

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 08:43 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 08:52
Quote: "using two commands for each obbject, that's so difficult.."

What if there are 15 objects that need to all inter-collide with each other? And how much code needs to be changed later if you want them to respond differently when they collide?

Quote: "With NGC all you have to do is move the object and then call runcollisionpro() once per loop and it will auto-slide all of your objects depending on what type of response you set it to."

This is true. ^

There are only two parts in the setup. A SetCollisionPRO() command to control how groups of objects respond. A CollisionTypePRO() to set which object are in which groups.

Then you can freely move your object with native DBP commands. And the RunCollisionPRO() once per loop automatically adjusts all of them for you.

Additionally, if you want group A objects to stick instead of slide when collidiing with group B objects, you make one change in the SetCollisionsPRO() call. No other modifications required.

I can post a code snipplet too if you like.

Here's a quick sphere-to-mesh collision:

In the above code it assumes that you have 4 ellips colliding with 4 different meshes. (Any ellip can be sphere shaped too)

All of the meshes and spheres/ellips can be moving at the same time with proper collision. All handling done automatically for you.

And if you want the sphere/ellips to stick instead of slide on impact you can use RESP_STICK instead of RESP_SLIDE in the SetCollisionsPRO() def.

How would you do the above or make similar changes as needed using the alternative?

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 08:55 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 08:58
I love Sparky's DLL. It can be used for anything. It's fast and free, and includes all of the basic collision functionality you'll need.

Now, NGC is a totally different animal. It has a lot of features, and is quite easy to use. It is designed to automate the process for you, rather than doing it yourself. And, it's fast.

It shouldn't be a question of which is easier or has less commmands. The question should be - Do you want to pay for expanded functionality or use a free plugin? If you can pay, do it. If you can't, you can use Sparky's to do what you need. Using Sparky's, you'll have to code some of your own collision routines that NGC has taken care of for us.

@Matthew-
When do you think 4.02 will be out? I'm looking forward to it.

Come see the WIP!
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes.

Should be out within 24 hours

Bmad6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 12:51
Ooohh... sounds like fun!

So, what new stuff does 4.02 have?
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
It's like v4.01 only it's a lot faster and has a lot of bugs fixed.

When I say a lot faster, 90% of the processing load was shaved off. We'll be adding more features to it within the next month. We're putting some time into our other products and coming back to it to add things like mesh-2-mesh collision, etc...

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 22:17 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 22:18
Not bad code. Looks pretty easy. This is some code of Sparky's I have altered (I'm quite sure it works ). If you add in this little chunk, you can make your player walk over anything, stop if there is a steep side, etc. It's basically most of the collision code you will need for your player in game.

To prepare the objects to be in group 50 to check for collision:

It may look harder to you, but your's looks difficult to me.

Uncle Sam
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 22:38
Well all your code does is handle simple sliding collision repsonse. NGC handles:

RESP_STICK - objects stick when they collide towards each other and unstick when moving away

RESP_SLIDE - simple sliding

RESP_SLIDE_NO_SLOPES - Keeps gravity from sliding you down a ramp when standing on it

RESP_SLIDE_NO_GRAV - Keeps gravity from pulling you down ramp as well as keeping it from fighting you going up ramps

RESP_SLIDE_NO_ACCEL - Keeps gravity from helping you move down a ramp to prevent speed increase while going down them

RESP_NONE - collision feedback with no altering of object position or rotation

And these also incorporates Dynamic response depending on how you set them up. Dynamic response modes include:

DYN_NO_RESP - treats collision as though the destination object is static to save calcs

DYN_RESP - treats the destination object as dynamic to perform accurate sliding on moving meshs

DYN_RESP_LOCK - Locks both the rotation and position of the object to the moving mesh on collision for elevators that move vertical and horizontal at the same time while rotating and such. You can still manually move and rotate your object while locked to the mesh if you want

DYN_RESP_LOCK_NOTURN - Locks the position but not rotation to the moving mesh. You can still manually move and rotate your object while locked to the mesh if you want

It's all up to personal preference.

All you have to do to setup your objects in NGC as stated is 2 calls (though there are extra commands you can use for more customization):

SetCollisionsPRO( src_type, dest_type, coll_method, coll_response, dyn_mesh_response )

and

CollisionTypePRO( object, coll_type )

You put these at the beginning of your code and this tells RunCollisionPRO() how you want your objects to react and it adjusts them automatically

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 22:51 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 22:54
Quote: "Get Sparky's DLL. Free, and better than NG"

I'm an NGC user... And the only thing better about Sparky's is that it's free...

NGC got alot more features... Sure you must be able to see that from the above post

Now with this said, I didn't say that Sparky's isn't good... Although I haven't really used it before other than seeing work with it that some of my friends have done. Sure it's a good alternative as a free collision plugin... But if you want more power and are willing to pay, NGC is a better choice.

-The Nerd

3D Arcade-like game:
SpaceBattle-Shootout
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 23:51 Edited at: 26th Apr 2006 23:51
Ok, that settles it then. I don't want more power and I love this current DLL, so I'll stay with the same.

Uncle Sam
dugzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Basicly it comes down to speed. If you want a better frame rate for your game and the ability to add higher detail objects,maps,textures
then NG is the way to go. I understand the money thing considering DBpro makes you pay for all the other expansion packs. Sparky has done some excellent work for the community in his collision so if money is the thing I would probably do the same and build around it.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 18:58
There is one slight disadvantage to NGC. If you want to move your player to a battle arena at, say 65536,65536,65536, you need many commands. With sparky, just stop processing!

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 22:44 Edited at: 27th Apr 2006 22:45
?

PositionObjectPRO( objnum, 65536, 65536, 65536 )
resetobjpro(objnum)

Thats not alot of commands.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 23:06
Never knew that, but its two more than sparky anyway!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:37:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:37:49