Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / The Gamecreators 3D chat 3D modelling Contest

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2006 22:18 Edited at: 12th Feb 2007 10:58
Hello everybody, this is the 3D modelling contest held regularly, within differant threads, each contest has a Work In Progress (WIP for short) thread and an entry thread. Make sure you read the posts made by myself carefully, and pay close attention to the rules.
There are two rule sets, there are the 'global rules' which are posted below, these are rules that will apply to all other contests unless stated otherwise. The second are the 'contest rules' these apply to specific contests, these will be the theme decided and what is expected and anything else the theme picking decides that is reasonable.

Why no voting thread?
I felt 3 threads would be a squeeze, voting is best left to be done in the entry thread, where you have a direct choice of who you want to vote right there before posting

Global Rules:
Your entries only
One entry per person
When voting only vote for one person
Do not vote entrants for a non present third party (so, you can't say I vote for Jim and Bob votes for Jim, if Bob wants to vote, tough unless he's a local forum member)
When voting, you can't vote for yourself
No entries in the wip thread
No Wips in the entry thread
Little or no chat in the entry thread
Be supportive, no horrible comments
All behave
Comply to TGC ruling
You must make your entry specically for the contest (Doing otherwise is counted as cheating)
Cheating will not be tolerated, those who cheat will be disqualified from the contest, and possibly further contests depending on my own judgement
WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED, ONLY POST IT IN THE ENTRY THREAD, I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MISSING ENTRIES, I WILL NOT GO BACK FOR OTHER ENTRIES

You may post questions or related comments in this thread, but do not spam and keep on topic, remember 3D Chat is a well moderated board.

For the Winners:
At this point, no real prize, as I am a student, students are cheapskates, but in the future there is the consideration of anything I produce that can be bought will be given away (That could be a game, model, scene or book, or tutorials made specifically for you)

However at the moment this is what happens, the winner must pick the next contest theme, if the winner does not pick within 5 days, I pick the next theme (or someone of my choice if I am out of ideas)
Also, the winner's forum name will be posted in this thread with their render, so a bit of glory for the winner

Current contest:
***Pirate Themed Challenge****:

Theme Rules/ Requirements:

Model something piratey like your favorite character from pirates of the Caribbean or a pirate sword. Whatever you feel like as long as you can associate your model with pirates.

Polycount Limit: N/A It can be any poly count

Work In progress thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99851&b=3
Entry Thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99852&b=3
Duration -12th Feb - 24th Feb
Voting - 25th Feb- 1st Mar

Last contest winner;

(100 Poly Challenge)
Big Add-

Contest Archives: (Temporary setup, Musashi may update later )

Past Winners
Seppuku Arts- Face of Beauty
OOGA BOOGA - Improvement Contest
Dark Coder - Low Poly Spaceship
Wigget - Computer Case
Joe Cooning - Pirate Contest
Heckno - RPG Monster
Nack - Mech
Zergei - Hero and Weapon Contest
Ooga Booga - Dragon
Big Add - Weapon
Dark Serpant- Favourite Game Character
Higgins - Big Boss
Poke-a-fish - Wii
Big Add - 100 Poly

And a big thanks to MikeS for supporting us *Pats him on the back*

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 22:00
Why is it that he won?! OoogaBooga should have won! Or somebody else! No offense to the winner, but there really were some other incredible entries.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 00:05
Its up to the voters, I would have posted this in the Mech entry board, as it isn't relevant to this specific post, and as it is the main board, it is really best to keep it clean as possible

Plus Ooga Booga has won many of these contests, he's got to loose at some points whether or not his entry is really good. If I were to let Ooga Booga win, I would be breaking my rules that were made to be fair and are fair. If you have a problem with Nack winning, there is nothing you can do unless you manage to become a totalitarian ruler of the world, or are a skilled briber/blackmailer

Yey! I removed the sig...
A Llama called Dalai
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2006 19:53
yah i liked ooga boogas

visit my site (unfinished)
www.freewebs.com/dbnewbie
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 23:26 Edited at: 10th May 2006 23:27
What rule does it break?

If he made the best mech, he made the best mech. It doesn't have anything to do with if he won before.

Uncle Sam
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 23:49
Apparently not everyone thought Oogas was the best. It was a fair compo, and everyone voted to their own perceived opinions. I promise nobody but me is trying to pay off and or scare tactic people into voting for them.

(for those of us who take everything literally, that was a joke. no amount of money could make me win)

"Take me home, to my empty 'fridgerator"
-ICP, Take me home, about looking back after obtaining your dream.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 00:35
Quote: "What rule does it break?"

None, I was merely pointing it out.

And like I said;

Quote: "I would have posted this in the Mech entry board, as it isn't relevant to this specific post, and as it is the main board, it is really best to keep it clean as possible"

So if you have anything more to say, post in the pointed out thread or by email. Posts in this thread should be relevant to this thread, anything on winners should revert to the thread where the winning entry was entered

Yey! I removed the sig...
A Llama called Dalai
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 00:14
Ok, sorry bout that. I thought you were talking about your own post. It's just my opinion...it doesn't matter. Maybe I'll vote next time.

Quote: "(for those of us who take everything literally, that was a joke. no amount of money could make me win)"

I thought you were being serious.

By the way, congrats to the winner!

Uncle Sam
dark heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 10:11 Edited at: 23rd May 2006 10:12
i have two questions, how long till the next comp? (after dragon), and also do we win anything? i ask cos i'm new to these competisions.

will there be people modeling next time? cos that's what i speceilize in.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 10:25
Can I vote?

When in Trouble with anything visit here your number one stop for help
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 11:21
@dark heart - the contests go for 2 weeks i think, and voting for a week again. You win nothing but the respect from your peers, and the right to chose the next compo.

There will be human modelling if the winner chooses it!!

greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 21:07
Firstly, please read the whole post, questions would have been answered, I cannot anticipate what the next theme will be, you would know why if you read the post...and so I'll grab quotes for you;

Quote: "Duration - 21st May - 31st May
Voting - 31st May - 4th June"

Quote: "For the Winners:
At this point, no real prize, as I am a student, students are cheapskates, but in the future there is the consideration of anything I produce that can be bought will be given away (That could be a game, model, scene or book, or tutorials made specifically for you)However at the moment this is what happens, the winner must pick the next contest theme, if the winner does not pick within 5 days, I pick the next theme (or someone of my choice if I am out of ideas)
Also, the winner's forum name will be posted in this thread with their render, so a bit of glory for the winner"

Quote: "Can I vote?"

Its a community vote, so yes, anyone can

And well here is one quote I cannot stress enough (As if I were a mod I would make this sticky into an anouncement so only I could post, as this thread should be tidy)
Quote: "You may post questions or related comments in this thread,"

But I see how that can be vague, but I only want questions that are relevant specific only to this thread, in the areas that don't change according to contests, as other questions are better off answered in the entry/wip thread of the contest.

Sorry if I sound rude or grouchy But this is the 'universal thread' for all contests, tidyness is something I'd like to keep, plus these questions could have been answered by reading the first post

夢の海に目覚めること - Into the sea of waking dreams - I am by John Clare
snoops86
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 16:53
Im thinking I might take part in this, still not too sure though. Havent done any real organic modeling yet.

Couple of questions.

1. Can the models be made with more polys than the limit and then reduced by a program / script?

2. Would the use of normal mapping be allowed?

3. Would I have to 'give' my model away to the community?
SimSmall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 15:13
Quote: "1. Can the models be made with more polys than the limit and then reduced by a program / script?"

If your model was over the limit slightly, then reduced by a script, then displayed, then no one would know... and if the limit is say 700, I don't think anyone will mind it slightly over (like 702)

Quote: "2. Would the use of normal mapping be allowed?"

I believe any graphical enhancements are allowed, but best wait for confirmation on that one...

Quote: "3. Would I have to 'give' my model away to the community?"

No, just a screenshot or two

...There, that's me doing my little bit to help - even though I've never entered these contests.
Perhaps when I'm a little more confident of my skills...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 15:50
Quote: "1. Can the models be made with more polys than the limit and then reduced by a program / script?"

You may go over slightly with the polygon counts. And you can use a polygon reducer, although its a bit cheeky doing so, but it causes no harm. But I may change my mind if it causes any unfairness (Which I doubt it would)

Quote: "2. Would the use of normal mapping be allowed?"

Yes, however if the contest you entering specifies you don't (Even if it says, 'no use of shaders/shader technology') then you can't, only one so far has forbidden things like normal/bump maps

Quote: "3. Would I have to 'give' my model away to the community?"

Like Sim said, you will only need to give in necessary screenshots, if it a contest with a poly limit, we would prefer it if you provided a screenshot showing the polygon count and/or tells us the count in the post, if your entry looks like it may be above the count you will be asked to provide information before your entry can be accepted.
One thing I will stress, is I do not usually pick entries from the WIP thread and put them in the entry thread, I will expect everyone to post their entries in the entry thread, otherwise they may be missed.

夢の海に目覚めること - Into the sea of waking dreams - I am by John Clare
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 04:40
I quote Seppuku:
Quote: "Sorry if I sound rude or grouchy But this is the 'universal thread' for all contests, tidyness is something I'd like to keep"

Quote: "posts in this thread should be relevant to this thread"

Anything not related to things that are global(relate to EVERY SINGLE contest) should go in the current contest WIP thread.

"Take me home, to my empty 'fridgerator"
-ICP, Take me home, about looking back after obtaining your dream.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 18:35
Yeah, I deleted Chewy's question and Ooga's respone. Neither of you did anything wrong, but this thread needs to stay clean to avoid any confusion for future contests.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 04:41
Oh darn, I didn't get in the past winners list... Oh well... Who cares anyway...

Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Currently doing: http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24575
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 05:22
Which one did you win mike?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2006 11:48
The past winners list isn't all of them I'm afraid just yet, I haven't quite finished that, some of the more early stuff has either been deleted or are lost somewhere, but yours isn't. once I start the 'previous contests archive' thing for real, I'll dig out as many of the winners I can.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 04:22 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 04:24
@Seppuku Arts: Nah, that's ok... I just noticed...
@BiggAdd: Just before the face of beauty...
btw, nice avatar, BiggAdd! same with Seppuku Arts!

Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Currently doing: http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24575
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 22:03
lol thanks, I've been meaning to make a better one (You can barely see it) I have been meaning to sort out the archives and never got around to it, next time I have a case of boredom, I'm sure I'll get recovering.

MiiRa
Years of Service
User Offline
made in YD soft

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 23:10
Soory to post here, but when's the next compo sepp?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 12:29
I'll get onto it next week, I've got a lot to do in the meantime.

"Cut down the gods if they stand in your way" - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Mr Anderson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 05:27
Are the results back yet for this contest?

IDIC (Infinite Diversity Infinite Combinations)
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 01:08
If I remember correctly this was the case when we had none, but I'll double check and sort it out tomorrow or when time is most convenient.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 06:01
If public voting is to continue, I suggest you nudge one of the moderators to validate each user is not using two or more accounts.

Nudge me at that stage or another fine mod and we will validate the ips to prevent any shinanagins <--- is that a word?

Happy modeling you crazy cats.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 13:44
Cheers dude, I'll give you a call or MikeS or somebody

Quote: "shinanagins <--- is that a word?"

It is, its just spelled slightly different, I see Firefox didn't give any corrections 'shenanigans'

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 22:47
I think you need to update the first post, lol

Soon to come: Corvette vs. the Enzo
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 22:50 Edited at: 16th Mar 2007 22:50
I would, but I'm having connection issues at the moment, still. I'll sort it out once I have a stable connection

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:28:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:28:05