Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Text Adventure Competition!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 23:16 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 23:00
EDIT (June 17th): Contest Rules have been UPDATED
PRIZES HAVE BEEN UPDATED with ONE MORE NEW GRAND PRIZE!

For some of us, the worst part of making games is developing the media. Did you ever feel like your game would be fantastic if you didn't need to make the models, sound effects, music, and all of that other stuff? Wouldn't it be great if you could just write the story and through your words, captivate an entire audience? Or what about story development? Not many would argue that a game's conceptual design is incredibly important. But some people struggle with coming up with great ideas, and/ or expressing those ideas in a game.

That's where Text Adventures come in. In this competition, you'll be tasked to create the best text adventure your brain can muster, and you'll be pitting it against other aspiring game designers who are vying for the same great prizes. Along the way, we're hoping your project will help you learn new things about writing great stories, and push you to develop your good ideas into fantastic ones.

What could I win?
Our grand-prize winner will get one copy of Dark AI, supplied by The Game Creators, and one copy Play Basic supplied by Underware Design. Third, the grand prize winner will win (I hope you're sitting down) a suite of Digital Imaging Software, sponsored by Visionary Designs Incorporated, which will help your more media-intense projects truly shine. This will come in a bundled package of 9 individual DVDs which will cover all aspects, such as image capture, image manipulation, video editing, CD/DVD data burning and presentation software! We're also talking with two other companies about the possibility of them potentially offering prizes for our runners-up, so keep an eye on this post for more great prizes in the future!

What Is a "Text Adventure?"

A text adventure is a PC game wherein the player navigates through a world by reading segments of a story, and then selecting a path or action from a list of options supplied by the software. Some text adventures use basic variables to offer players items, weapons, etc. to utilize during play. Most text adventures fall into one of two technical categories: The option list adventure, and the parser adventure. "Option list" adventures have a menu of options wherein a player can select an action from a list of choices (such as, "1. go east, 2. go west" and the player presses one or two, or presses the corresponding number and then presses enter). "Parser" adventures allow the player to type in commands, such as "open door," "go north," "eat apple," etc., and the software can detect specific segments of code that is entered into its entry line. These are far more complicated to create and implement, and thus they will score higher.

The contest will be scored entirely on four qualities: originality, story development, writing ability, and technical design. Originality depicts your title's general uniqueness, both in story and software design. Story Development rates how well the game projects the story from start to finish... you'll earn more points if your story is fluid and easily understood. Writing Ability depicts how well the game is worded and points will be decided based on grammar, spelling, proper word usage, etc. Last but not least, Software Design rates how well your actual program runs from a technical standpoint. Did you use a list system, or a more complicated parser system? Are each of your subroutines and functions linked together properly? Make sure your final game doesn't have any bugs to score high here.

Scores will be based on a 10.0 point system. You'll earn a maximum of 10.0 points for each of the four categories, and a minimum of 0.0. Each of these is then averaged out and rounded to create your final score. In other words, if you earn 9.1 on originality, 8.5 on story development, 7.3 on writing ability, and 5.2 on software design, your total score would be 7.525... rounded to 7.5. The participant with the highest score wins the contest. In the case of a tie, the judges will convene and decide on who should win the tie. All results and scores are final.

- RULES -

* Any non web-based programming language may be used (no Java, html, perl, etc.), but installation cannot be required by your software. We strongly suggest DarkBASIC Professional, DarkBASIC Classic, and Play Basic. Along with the executable file(s), any and all source code that was written for the project must be submitted to verify you actually coded the game. No text adventure fabrication software may be used. You MAY use languages such as Java or Perl, but only if the file is sent to us and is playable via an executable file; web games may not be submitted.

* There is a STRICT 5MB limit on entry sizes. You may not submit an entry that is larger than 5MB. This is to hopefully limit the length/ size of your entries so that we can judge them faster and more fairly. The next time we hold this contest, this file size will be larger, but for now we are keeping this limit intact, no exceptions.

* All games submitted to this competition must be fully compiled. Submitted source code that is not compiled will not be judged.

* You MAY use WINZIP and ONLY WINZIP to send us your entry, but PLEASE NOTE that the game's fully un-compressed/ un-zipped file size CANNOT exceed the 5MB limit. You may not use any other compression software to send in your project, or to compress your entry so that it meets our requirement.

* There is no length requirement for this contest, although you should try to keep your game relatively short to play so that it can be judged fully and fairly. Try to introduce the judges to your best features early because they may not have time to play through the entire game if we receive a large number of entries.

* Media: only 2D static images in bmp or jpg form are allowed. They can only be used to enhance aesthetics and may not be animated, or act as an integral part of gameplay. Music and sounds can be included but must be wav, mid, midi, or mp3 format. Media will NOT effect your presentation's score whatsoever,

* Copyright Law: Any media used in this contest must be made by you. Otherwise, proof of permission to use said media must be presented (even for freeware games), including the author of the images/ music and some form of contact information, albeit a website address or e-mail address. Any entry that does not meet this standard will be void from participation.

* Input: Input must be from the keyboard only. The game may not utilize a mouse or any other input device, with the exception of main menu navigation, wherein a mouse may be used, but no input device other than the keyboard can be required for gameplay.

* All entries must be submitted and recieved by our judges no later than 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time on August 2nd, 2006. The winner will be announced on August 11th, 2006 at 12:00pm (noon) Eastern Standard Time in a new thread on the Game Design board. Runners-up will also be announced at the same time. The contest officially begins on June 2nd.

* Prizes: one (1) copy of Dark AI, supplied by TGC, one (1) Copy of Play Basic, supplied by Underware Design, and one (1) suite of Digital Imaging Software, supplied by Visionary Designs Incorporated, will be awarded to the declared Grand Prize Winner on August 11th, 2006 when the winners are publically announced. Grand Prize Winner must claim prize via e-mail and supply their full name, age, mailing address (P.O. Boxes are fine)(please include zip code and country, even if in the United Kingdom or United States), and optionally you can include a telephone number. All of this MUST be submitted to us no later than August 15th, 2006, or your prize will be forfeited to the next runner-up!

* Submission: Submit your entry by either posting it to this thread using the upload function, or by e-mailing the final project to me at Maximus_PT1@yahoo.com

What if I want to be a judge?
If you'd like to be a judge for this contest, just send me an e-mail (using the e-mail button below) and let me know. Please note that judges WILL NOT be allowed to enter the contest, so keep that in mind when writing me. Also, judges WILL NOT be compensated with free copies of prizes, money, or by any other means... judging this contest will be done so on your own time and without any sort of compensation. Do it for your love of games if nothing else

"In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe"
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 23:41
What I don't understand is the story development score--- as you state to make the game short to save the judges playing for hours on just one game. How will you judge the story dev. in a short time?

Sounds great otherwise. So we can use C# for this? Excellent

Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 00:00
Also the non-english speakers are disadvantaged because of writing abilites score.
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 00:30
Wow, I'm entering thanks.
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 00:31
I might enter this. I won't be able to start untill July, though so mine will be an "option list" adventure. Of course, I now have a month to think up a story.

Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 00:40
PS - How many hours, or minutes, Because I have some ideas, but I don't want to be disqualified for whatever reason on media or story line or whatever.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 01:37
The game doesn't have to be really short, it's just suggested that you try to keep it as short as would be sufficient so we can judge it as fairly as we'll judge the other ones. And yeppers, C# or any other C-derivative is welcome, so long as its fully compiled

I apologize to the non-english speaking TGC members. Unless I find foreign-language judges, the contest will only be available to English contestants. But if anything you could use this contest to hone your english, if it's a verbal language you're hoping to learn well that is.

Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 02:09
Also is ASCII art allowed as part of the game, for example an ascii map or similar?
Drew G
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 02:54
Oh, but there's a problem, DBP makes super large files, how do we fix that. And another, what if the media came with DBP, will we be disqualified?
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 03:31
And another thing--- if I use C++ or C# then the compiled version will require .NET 2.0 Is that ok? Most people should download it or have downloaded it already anyways.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 04:53 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 05:06
I don't see any problem with using ASCII art, so long as you understand that your media won't be counted into the final score. Also, the idea of a text adventure is that you explore the world by reading text and making decisions, not moving around a map, and your total score will reflect that if you try to use some sort of map. The media can't directly interact with the player and can only be used aesthetically.

If you package the media in with your EXE, that's fine, but you can't use any third-party compression tool like Winzip or Winrar. The judges will NOT decompress/ unzip your stuff.

That's fine Jeku, as long as you let us know that we need .net to run it when you send it in. But we shouldn't need visual studio or anything like that installed, before anyone asks We'd prefer stand-alone exe's that can run on any computer, as if you were distributing it for retail.

In the case of a text adventure, your exe shouldn't be enormous... you're not dealing with a lot of media, and as the rules state, you can't use media as an integral part of the game. Not including any media will earn you the same score as someone who went to great lengths to make their game pretty, because the media will have no effect on your score whatsoever... if you're adding it, it's only because you want it to be pretty for yourself while you play. The main focus on this contest is to develop stories and improve your working technical knowhow with the language you're using Another key point of this contest is that we're hoping to challenge people without forcing them to create tons of media, as most other contests would.

Edit: Strongbad, I didn't understand your question. How many hours or minutes should the game be, you mean? That's entirely up to you, but we'd really appreciate it if you could keep it relatively short... it shouldn't take longer than an hour to play through. But it's unfair to put a specific time limit on this contest, because everyone reads at different speeds, so just try to use your best judgement when making it a specific length.

Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 06:58
Not sure if it's been talked about already... The 5mb limit, is that for the program itself or for a zipped up file of it.. Zipping up the file may save a little bit of space and thus help allow for more to be in the game.

Tifu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 12:05
Post right above yours
Quote: "If you package the media in with your EXE, that's fine, but you can't use any third-party compression tool like Winzip or Winrar. The judges will NOT decompress/ unzip your stuff."

Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 13:32
Can we send two or more files, like an exe and an txt file with the game, while the exe is just a parser?
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 13:37
Also, do we need o submit a walkthrough in case some of the judges find some puzzles too hard?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 14:02
I don't think it'll be a problem to have multiple files, I think it'd be crazy if this wasn't the case .

As for walkthroughs, well I'm not sure I'd want the temptation!

It should take a good week to get through a text adventure, obviously the judges will most likely be adventure game veterans, but really if they complete your game while judging, then I'd say that was a bad sign more than anything, really I think it'd be best to go easy at the beginning then ramp up the puzzle difficulty - there's little reward at the end of adventure games bar the feeling of achievement, and that's all dependant on how easy the player found it. Struggling for a bit then prevailing is what text adventuring is all about .

Good luck all, I expect my brain to be severely taxed in a couple of months!.

Aegrescit medendo
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 19:16
Multiple files is fine, as long as your game doesnt' require installation. With the more complicated parser titles, I'd imagine it pretty hard not to use multiple files. But you can't zip them or rar them or use any other third-party compression method... compression would defeat the 5mb limit's purpose of trying to limit the size of the games, hehe. Plus, it takes added time to unzip an entry, and with only two judges so far, that might make it a little more difficult to fairly judge the entries.

If you'd like to include a walkthrough for difficult puzzles, that's fine, but it isn't necessary, and some judges might not use them (I personally wouldn't, I like the challenge ).

We still need more judges. I'm hoping for two more, preferably moderators. I might e-mail Mike and Cattle but before I go harassing them, I figured I'd mention it again on the thread to see if anyone would be interested. If you are, just e-mail me at Maximus_PT1@yahoo.com so I know. As of right now, we only have two judges and it might be a bit taxing to judge everyone's stuff between two people, hehe.

iBrent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 23:38
Does Lingo (creating a Macromedia Director .exe file) qualify as a non-web based programming language?
Wiggles Say
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I've had this idea for a game for a while but I'm rubbish at the graphics side of things. I'd thought of doing an IF but wasn't sure if it was worth doing, but now I've got some incentive! I definitely HOPE to enter this! When is the deadline?

"Everybody makes mistakes" said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 01:24
Dumb question, but how do we include a walkthrough (if applicable) and a readme without zipping it up with the final EXE? A self-extracting EXE? *confused*

"I understand creative people. After all, I worked with towel designers." - Ray Kassar, former head of Atari
Dot Merix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 02:13
He said you can have multiple files, it just cant be zipped up. So you'll have to send multiple files.

tjg92
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 02:15
Awesome. I'm definately going to enter this. First I'd like to know if I would be allowed to code my game in GM ( http://www.gamemaker.nl ) or not if I should just go ahead and use Dark Basic.
I'd also like to know why we can't use .png files. I personally don't plan on using any media at all, but I think that a lot of people will be hacked off when they can't use their .png's.

crap
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 03:21
Because this is a text adventure competition. Notice the text part part in the name? Thats why media is discouraged.
Chily Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 03:35 Edited at: 19th Jun 2006 02:23
I know I'm in. We have about 2 months to work on the project, (the due date is August 2) so I think we will see some great things.

EDIT: Another project came up for me so I'm not going to put all my time into this, but I still expect to enter something.
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
If we can use C# with .NET, if we let you know were useing it, does that mean I can use Java. I know you said no web langs and java was there, so I suspected you meant JSP/Servlets or any other J2EE Specifications and Applets. Or are you excluding full Java Applications also.
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the double post, but i kept getting SQL errors when I try to edit it.
I meant "non web Java Applications" not "full Java Applications"
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 07:01
As long as it's an exe and doesn't require a web browser to access it or any software to open it other than .net, then I'm cool with it I suppose. Over on gamedev I'm catching a lot of flack for not allowing java so I guess if popular demand requires it then so be it. I just hope I can find a judge who knows Java as a language and can help judge at least the technical aspects of it, because I don't know Java or any other languages primarily used for web design (look at my website to see what I mean, lol)

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
can we make images using text? By that I mean something like this for a puzzle:

and update it as the player places something like this

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 08:26
I think that sort of defeats the text adventure aspect of the contest. That's principally the same as using media. As nifty as it might be for a game to utilize text like that (I haven't seen one in ages), I don't think it's right for this contest. But if enough people disagree with that then I guess we could do it.

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the responds. Sorry to bother you one more time. Just one more simple quesion.
Since Java's executable format is not 'exe'. Does it matter the type of excutable format we use, if it at least starts up when you double click it.

Thanks for your time
Wiggles Say
Years of Service
User Offline
Great Knight, how can you make a java file run when you double click it? What type of executable format are you referring to?

"Everybody makes mistakes" said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin.
Perokreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 12:12
About the text art, i asked the same question, and i agree that it shouldnt be used.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 13:26
Even if your not using scene graphics, don't discount gui stuff, it can really help. In old Spectrum text adventure, the font usually got changed because it was ludicrously easy on the Speccy to do that - like in basic you could design your own font using binary!.

Thing is, pages of text are boring, and you need a split anyway, like you need an area where the players text is typed, and it needs to be in contrast to the rest of the page. It could be as simple as inverted colours, but with a little care it could really improve the sheen on your game. For instance, if I was making a gothic game, I'd use a black background on an old style grey text, with white for the player typings, and a row of bones seperating the typing zone and the other text.

I'm not particularly a fan of the magnetic scroll interface, I found them a little bit OTT, but a bit of effort goes a long way on a dull page of text. Also there is a free plugin which gives fast AA text for DBPro, should help with text speed and appearance - I'll see if I can find it.

Aegrescit medendo
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 14:30
I got one more thing to add: make this one a sticky!!

Current Project - Jono's Maze(Open Source, 3d maze shooter)
Progress Of Project - 0.5%
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 15:39
Matt,
Java's logic and syntax looks basically the same as C++, but with 100% emphasis on Object Oriented Programming... So pretty much any Moderate to Advanced user of C++ would be able to decifer it even if they haven't seen Java before

Speeking of which, I do know Java and would consider myself a novice user, so if you're struggling (only if you're REALLY struggling) to get judges, give me a buzz

Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
http://jt0.org
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 15:43
Van, that plug-in is Cloggy's Direct3D one.
Last I saw it was in WIP, then in DLL Talk

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
http://jt0.org
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 19:38
Quote: "Of course, I now have a month to think up a story."

LOl, I aready have a story in mind. It came to me last night

SlapHappy Bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 19:50
I'd once started a text-based adventure with a DB free trial. Things were going ok until my trial ran out. I really should buy the software to finish it.

Bunny bunny, I'm slap happy! Bunny bunny, yeah, that's me! Bunny bunny, I'm so funny! Bunny bunny, PS3! Yay!
Warspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 21:53
Can we have a team of like 2 people? (1 programmer, 1 writer)

-Warspawn
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 23:05
Thanks Jess. I'll keep trying to find judges but if I can't, I'll drop you a line.

If Java can be made to run as an executable does, by just clicking on it, then I don't see a problem with using it. That rule mostly applies to people not creating websites and forcing the judges to play the game over a website, because as you can imagine that might be a little annoying, hehe.

I think I'm going to give four "paper awards" away too, like "Most Original Game," "Best Story Development," "Most Writing Ability," and "Best Technical Design." If I can find small prizes for all four categories then we'll give prizes for those as well, but I'm kind of struggling with finding more prizes. The grand prize will be the best in all categories, but these four smaller "runner up" prizes would be for the best game in each category, regardless of the game's other traits (I think I worded that correctly, but let me know if that didn't make sense). Is anyone opposed to this?

And thanks for making this a sticky! I think it's my first sticky thread, actually It's also the first time I've made the newsletter I wish I could enter this contest... but that wouldn't be very fair, lol. I think if this contest has as many entries as it looks like it'll have, we *might* do it again next year.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 01:39
It really dosn't make much sense to give Dark A.I. as a prize seeing as some people arn't useing DBC or DBPro to make the TBA (Text Based Adventure) game. Why don't you give a DarkMatter pack as first prize, to help people that can't make their own media? Isn't that the point of this contest?
-Sunflash

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 02:30
I thought about that at first, but with Dark AI being TGC's newest product and in pretty high demand amongst DB users, I thought it would be a better prize, and Rich agreed on that. But we're hoping to offer other prizes as well, so keep your eyes out.

Speaking of which, I just recently made the arrangements with Kevin Picone at Underware Design to give away one free copy of Play Basic to the winner as well. If we get the edit feature working again, I'll update the main post with the new prize info. I'm also talking with two others software companies about them sponsoring this contest with prizes, so be sure to keep an eye out

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 06:25 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2006 06:29
Hey, sounds cool! I just started working on one at my friends house! couple of questions.. 1 being, can we have puzzles in the game, like riidles and such. and the second question being, "what exactly is technical design??? is it the style, or codes complexety?

EDIT: oh, and my friend wants to know, how long short is. like, half an hour of gameplay, r 10 mins, ar a day, or what?

dont assume cause ull make an ass out of you and me!
tjg92
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 08:13
Quote: "Because this is a text adventure competition. Notice the text part part in the name? Thats why media is discouraged."
You misunderstood. I was just asking that if we can use .bmp files, why can't wer use .png files? .bmp's'll only take up more space anyway.

As for the text art thing, most every text adventure I've played has text art in it at one point or another, wether to represent a map or for a logo when you start the game.

:o
sniper
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, cool comp. I can't wait to get started and see what you guys come up with.
About the prize; I don't see what the big deal is about what the prize is. Though a prize is nice, I think the comp. should be done purely for fun.

...Now, I need a story line.... hmm...

sniper
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 17:25
what is technicol?

dont assume cause ull make an ass out of you and me!
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 23:09
A lot of people think that Java is just for web pages.

I'm glad that you are allowing compiled Java games. It probably wouldn't be fair to allow .NET and disallow Java. They both use a runtime, and they both are "compiled" down to something that the installed runtime can execute on a Windows desktop.

Best of luck to everybody in this competiton! I'd like to join myself, if I could just find the time.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 02:21
You know Tobias, I am still looking for a few more judges hehe

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
so when's the dealine?

tjg92
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 03:24
I've got the basis for a story and now I'm going to try to program it. I don't really know how I'm gonna do this...
The good knews is that the story will pwn.

Quote: "so when's the dealine?"
You'd know if you read the first post.

:o

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:10:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:10:53