Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tutorial-Making Huds and Model textures with alpha channels for PSP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 09:41 Edited at: 11th Jul 2006 21:38
As per request-
Here is a complete and clear explaination on how to create a .tga with an alpha channel in Paint Shop Pro. Most versions do this the same way but just in case, I am useing 8.0. Alphachannels are usefull for all sorts of things like making fences, making floor grates,or overlays, hud objects, and crosshairs .

1. Import or create your object in the normal way but be careful not to use true black in parts that you want to show up. You can tell if you used true black by useing the color selector tool(that looks like an eye dropper)select the suspecting area and look at the color properties. Make sure its not R,G&B values of 0,0,0. Anything that is NOT going to be rendered in game should be colored True Black = R,G,&B value 0,0,0,.

2. In the Layer window, Right click your layer, and choose 'New Mask Layer/From Image'. (If your object is not already considered a full layer you will be prompted to do so now)

3. A window will pop up asking wich type of mask will you be useing; choose 'Any non-zero value', then click 'Ok'. If you did everything correctly so far, all the undesired area will be gone and in its place will be grey and white checkerboard that represents nothing being present.

4. Next at the top bar of options (same bar that 'File' is on)click 'Selections'/'From Mask'. If done correctly you will now see a 'mask' around your object (identifiable by the rotateing string effect).

5. Again, click 'Selections' but this time go to 'Load/Save Selection'/'Save Selection To Alpha Channel'. A window shold pop up with a picture of the alpha channel-White sections will be rendered in game, and black sections will not. If it looks correct to you then click 'Save'. It really doesn't matter if you name the alpha channel or not ;I just use the default name.

6. You will be then back at your picture. In the layers panel, right click on the 'Mask - Raster 1' and 'Delete'. it will then ask if you would like the mask layer merged with the layer below it; Click 'Yes'

7. Then go to the top bar, click 'File'/'Save As'; Choose 'Truvision Targa (*.tga)'. Name the file and decide where you want it exported to. It will then prompt the last window mentioning the use of only one alpha channel and such; ignore this and click 'Yes'.

Congradulations you have just made your first .tga with a built in alpha map. So ends the tutorial. Happy Gamemaking!
-D13-

Black
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 13:00
Cool nice tutorial,I think this should be a sticky.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 21:31
Thank's, but a sticky isn't nessecary. I posted it in the Tutorial City post already. That way the board stays a bit cleaner. But thanks for the thought.

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 21:33
thank you.

Read my profile to learn about all my wierd fanaticacies...

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 21:40 Edited at: 9th Aug 2006 05:52
not a prob. Been wanting to make this tut anyway. The picture version of this tut is slightly different but awful confusing, since you have to follow the arrows of an out of sequence series of pictures.

Alex Just Do It
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought this was for "GIMP"?

----------------------------------
Blah Blah Blah!
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 05:31
What portion of:
Quote: "with an alpha channel in Paint Shop Pro. Most...."

in the first post didn't ya get man. And why would you hit post to confirm your reading disability in a month old post? *hint,hint*
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 05:49 Edited at: 21st May 2007 03:10
/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 04:08:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 04:08:58