Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Loz : Dins Bow

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 19:44
Its a semi-WIP really, but I'll probaly only post at the WIP section with a demo.

Legend of Zelda: Dins Bow

Ronin has kinda of died in the works, but like Elvis, it really isn't dead, but is hiding somewhere underground bringing everyone to that assumption. Instead I am single handedly building a fan game to tribute to the Zelda lot, hopefully with a demo release when Twilight Princess is released.

History:
Many many years have passed since Ganon fell to the blade of the legend of time, to have been banished for eternity, or so it seemed, then came the hero of wind and he beat Ganon.

Story:
A new hero steps up from the woodwork, this time it is a she, orphaned in docks of Lani Port, doing errands for a living, but she comes across a cave fairy in great pain after being cursed by a bunch of bandits, she begs Link to go into the caves and kill whom is casting the curse, thats the first dungeon. After beating the boss at the end, Link recieves Dins Bow (With no arrows, magic or quiver, no Zelda game grants use of a bow so quickly ) Din, being one of the three goddesses in the TriForce legend. On the back wall there is a threat directed at the fairy to do with interfering with the revival of Ganon, the Fairy, explains an entire story of how this small group wishes to revive Ganondorf and be his servants in ruling the world, the fairy asks for your help in that department.
The Dins Bow, is the key to death of a certain boss and the summoning of Din and her power, but for now, it just sits in her sachet (The one that makes her look like a girl scout)

Of course, only a story plan there, none of it done.

WHAT I DO HAVE:
3D Model of female Link (She looks like a girl scout, but after realising that, I do plan to make a few changes) (Hexagon 2 and Photoshop)

Title Screen (Bit of C4D, bit of Photoshop, bit of DBP)

Loading dock screen (C4D, Photoshop)

Early Engine stage (DBP)

Current Engine Features:
Battle Engine (Will be improved once I have the animated models done)
Full working collision (Except there are a few tweaks need doing) Based on Sparkys DLL and someones code which I'll need to dig up their name
Talking to other characters
Basic enemy AI
Music

I hope to make a good demo to include with my CV when applying for uni, like
'Achievements: Fully working 3D game demo - see.....'
Although unrelated to the course, having something like that will say enough about my personality, like 'Geek who needs a life and is geeky enough to shift his weight, uni is perfect, he'll get a life and study'

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 23:21
Looking sweet man get on msn!

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 00:20
Thanks, MSN gets in the way, I'll go on when I'm bored.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 02:58
Very nice! It's good to see a different take on zelda rather than the normal here is link, he has a sword, and then he kills a evil person scenario. And of course, a female link only sweetens the deal. Will the game be on land or on water (as Lani Port infers)? Awesome story too, hope it grows.

Bio Fox...four guys, one computer, games like nobody's business.
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 05:20
I was a member of a zelda fan game community for years.

www.zfgc.com

post some stuff there they will love the 3d stuff. And if you do, mention Krazy Jimmy .

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 11:57
Dr Manette, thanks, it will be mainly on land, as there is more land now after the hero of wind, but there are still islands to visit.

Oddmind, thats the first place I posted this, I think mine is the second full 3D project they got going there, the other is in 3D game studio, the graphics look good, but I haven't seen evidence of gameplay. I will mention Krazy Jimmy

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 12:28
sweet! zelda fan game. me likes. Put a ninja in it though. it makes things so much better.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 16:26
thanks, but I personally don't see Ninjas in a Zelda game, but if there comes a bit somewhere, I may consider them as extra difficulty.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 23:17
If by Ninjas, you mean the Gerudo, then you should definately do it. The Zelda world hasn't seen the return of that group in a while (since Ocarina and Majora's Mask if I'm not mistaken). I don't know if you could add them somewhere, but it would be cool. Next to the Zora, the Gerudos are definately my favorate "race" in Zelda.

Bio Fox...four guys, one computer, games like nobody's business.
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 23:18
i doubt hardly anyone will remember me... i was there around 2002-04... all those guys are noobs.

metallica kirby Cpprograms and TRM might tho .

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 01:35 Edited at: 25th Jul 2006 01:38
Dr Mannete, I'm sure I could somewhere.

Oddmind, I see, those names don't ring a bell, but I'm a relatively new member, I only joined to see what people are up to with fan games (And to show off me own )

[edit]
Hang on, do you mean metallica48423? yeah I just came accross one of his threads

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 06:31
i was joking about the ninjas haha(but it would be cooler). But defiently put in the Gerudo, like on some secret dessert island out in the middle of nowhere, where you had to get the guantlets of strength. Just an idea.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 16:46 Edited at: 28th Jul 2006 16:49

Why the evil monkey? Well I couldn't find any emoticons of backstabbing is the reason.

I decided to use this project to kick off with Torque properly, yup, I'm back stabbing this community for another program on this project, but no doubt I will create a DBP afterwards, but I am desperate for a quick option, so that I can get this kicked off before I have to get back into my studying properly, as DBP is a 'code all' program, it kinda prevents that from happening. (even if DBP script is far simpler than Torque script )

[edit]
Sorry I have begun this, anybody mind if this old backstabber posts the Torque version updates?

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 17:16
Im interested to see what Torque can handle in a short time of programming as Im looking into getting it myself, so I'd love to see, I guess just wait to see what a mod says.

Projects: Online CTF Game | Newcommer's Guide to FPS's
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 18:55
Well, I'm sure if theres anything a mod don't like, they'll take necessary action, so I'll post anyway.

RUCCUS;
Torque is very powerful, but a lot of its features in a game, are pre built, like the fact the character is able to hold a cross bow, pick up ammo, heal themselves, collision, character and vehicle physics and some basic hud features that all can be dragged and dropped, other features require script coding, as the exe runs straight off the scripts, more advanced features require that you edit the Torque source code in C++, like I have been stressing on getting someone's sword and shield code to setup in C++, but I get one error after the other. Thats the difficult bit, Torque code can be quite confusing, but it is C-based, which means if you have used another C-like language/structure, the ideas are easier to pick up. It comes with loads of documentation (accessable online with your Torque account if you have purchased from there) I would strongly recommend the demo, and possibly getting the Kenneth Finney Book (3D Game Programming All-In-One) as it has excellent Torque teaching for beginner level, supposedly if you use the whole book you have knowledge to create a muliplayer shoot-em up and looking at the content, it looks like it will (But I'm on chapter 4, so a while yet for me) Plus there are loads of good resources, but I think you should know all bases with Torque before purchase as it could be a waste of a $100 Also the next ozarkgames.com forum newsletter will have information from a newbies perspective onto Torque (I wrote that bit, as JOOM asked me to, but it should be of help regarding Torque)

But please do realise I am using default Torque media at the moment.

Orc Link has a conversation with Orc Jack, okay, Link is a Kokori, but today he (Or in this game, she) is an Orc

Front Page + Options

Start Game

Dead NPC

Looking over the docks

First person view for better aiming of the crossbow

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 05:43
hey that looks great musashi! i like it. needs pirates
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 15:49
Ah, I've various descriptions of torque and they've all involved some sort of drag n' drop element to it, which hasn't attracted me. The ability to edit the source is always nice but I was looking for an improvement from DBP, which from the sounds of things wont be Torque as the only real programming is done in C++ editing the source, in which case I'd be better off just learning C++ and writing my own engine. Thanks for the info' (Game looks good so far)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 16:30 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 16:30
If you want an improvement from DBP and have no Drag and drop elements, try Truevision 3D SDK, its an SDK library for C++, C#, VB and Delphi, I started with it in C#, but didn't get too far, its a good quality language, quality engine and well I think it may be what you are looking for, rather than creating your own engine.

Looky here;
http://www.truevision3d.com

I liked it, there could be more tutorials than there are, but once you get the hang of things, it goes down to your base language knowledge (C++, C# or whatever you choose) and your knowledge of game making something direct X related. My biggest achievement is a FPS movement in a room with text on the screen and a badly exported model loaded (The bad export was that the textures were upside down), I was gonna work on a menu system afterwards, but never did.
See screeny
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/seppuku05/texturedakaiintv3d.jpg

The free version comes with a watermark and you cannot sell anything, but that pretty good as you have all the features there. I works with any visual studio except Visual C++ 2005. (C# and VB 05 work)

and thanks for the comment

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 17:15
I still think using something like an SDK off of another language isn't as much of a jump as I'm looking for. I've done C before, and I've been using DBP for 4 or so years, so I think Im ready for C++ alone.

I dont want to hog this thread with my programmig journey so lets end the discussion there .

Back on topic...

So if I understand correctly, the main character is a girl version of Link, but she's named Link as well? If you wanted to somehow incorperate the real Link into the game that might get confusing, then again it's your game. Just to me, something like Lin for the girl would make more sense, or something that doesnt sound like Lin at all . Links lost sister, "<href>"

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 17:59
Fair enough, good luck with C++.

She has no name yet, haven't looked into suitable names, so I've just given her the name Link for now, but with the current version, you can name her yourself. I was thinking of incorperating the real link into the game, she's not going to be the sister but a decendant, meaning Link has gotten himself into a relationship, the sly old fox .

Well, while I'm posting, I have finished Link, and loaded her into Milkshape ready for animation, I also put her into torque but two textures didn't load.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:21:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:21:09