Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Noobish question - Can Dark AI do this?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Before I buy Dark AI can someone let me know if it is actually going to serve/help my needs?

In a step time/turn based game, when I come to move one of the computer controlled enemies:-

a) Can you tell if an enemy unit can see a player's character/unit (could be 3-4 of them in total). Of course the units may only be 5ft apart but if there's a wall in the way they can't see each other etc!

b) Building on (a), can you infact do a call to see if a specific unit can see another specific unit, beit player or computer controlled?

c) Given I've decided an enemy unit can see a players unit, can I then work out the path to that position? And how long that path is? (If it's too long I wouldn't bother following it).

d) Can you work out a path taking other units into consideration or not? ie: Can you have a function work out a route avoiding all other units, and ignoring all other units that are in the way?

e) Infact, building on (d) can you just work out a path from pos A to pos B, with or without considering other units being obsticals?

f) In simple terms, when you've worked out a path, how is that usable? ie: When I've written path finding algorithms it simply provides a stack of X/Y coordinates to move along. With Dark AI, is this similar, or is it all hidden from you and all you can do it tell a unit to follow a path or not? I do hope not!

Thanks for putting up with the noob questions!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2006 15:30 Edited at: 7th Aug 2006 15:30
Quote: "a) Can you tell if an enemy unit can see a player's character/unit (could be 3-4 of them in total). Of course the units may only be 5ft apart but if there's a wall in the way they can't see each other etc!"

There is an AI GET ENTITY CAN SEE command where you can check the line of sight between the enemy and player for obstacles.

Quote: "b) Building on (a), can you infact do a call to see if a specific unit can see another specific unit, beit player or computer controlled?"

You can do this on a per enemy basis checking each one at a time, and check between two enemies.

Quote: "c) Given I've decided an enemy unit can see a players unit, can I then work out the path to that position? And how long that path is? (If it's too long I wouldn't bother following it)."

Yes, there is an AI MAKE PATH BETWEEN POINTS command where you can create a path between two points (the enemy and player positions or any other chosen locations) which will avoid any obstacles in the way. You have access to all the points in the path once it is created so you could cycle through them and calculate the length.

Quote: "d) Can you work out a path taking other units into consideration or not? ie: Can you have a function work out a route avoiding all other units, and ignoring all other units that are in the way?

e) Infact, building on (d) can you just work out a path from pos A to pos B, with or without considering other units being obsticals?"

No, an enemy automatically avoids other entities when it encounters them so this information is not included in the path. The path will take obstacles into consideration.

Quote: "f) In simple terms, when you've worked out a path, how is that usable? ie: When I've written path finding algorithms it simply provides a stack of X/Y coordinates to move along. With Dark AI, is this similar, or is it all hidden from you and all you can do it tell a unit to follow a path or not? I do hope not!"

You have access to all the points on a path using the AI PATH COUNT POINTS, AI PATH GET POINT X and AI PATH GET POINT Z. You can also make an entity patrol this path with a single command if you wanted with AI ENTITY ASSIGN PATROL PATH.
NeilF
Years of Service
User Offline
That all sounds fantastic... I guess the hope of an option to generate a path ignoring other units was a bit too hopeful

Otherwise sounds just what I need! Thanks!
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 00:05
g) can you make Enemy entities attack other enemy entities, like an Deathmatch game which was my original concept but now i dropped it because i couldn't figure out if it was possible or not. i didn't find a way.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 07:47
Would you be able to use it with dp and how? If so,then,holy crap,I'm getting this!

Woohoo. DP is finally released!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 15:31 Edited at: 8th Aug 2006 15:33
Quote: "g) can you make Enemy entities attack other enemy entities, like an Deathmatch game which was my original concept but now i dropped it because i couldn't figure out if it was possible or not. i didn't find a way."

Unfortunately not, I'll have a look at something simple like AI ADD TARGET if and when we get around to another update.

Quote: "Would you be able to use it with dp and how? If so,then,holy crap,I'm getting this!"

There's a thread going on about integrating the two: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=86127&b=30
The method I describe in it is how I would see it working.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2006 15:54
Quote: "Unfortunately not, I'll have a look at something simple like AI ADD TARGET if and when we get around to another update."

I've been trying to figure this out, and I actually posted a thread here asking this question. This is unfortunate. I look forward to an update I think that sometimes it's important for one entity to be able to attack another entity, regardless of orientation. It would help with changing game events.

Of course, if you have a viable work around, I'd love to hear it

Come see the WIP!
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 11:12
I would buy dark ai but it doesnt say whether there's a licence fee or anything like that when selling your games.

I pressume not but it would be great to know.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

3.0ghz pentium dual core processor, 2gb ds ram, 250gb HD
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 11:12
There is no license with Dark AI.
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 11:16
Quote: "There is no license with Dark AI."

excellent im gettin money soon so i will buy it then.

Cheers

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

3.0ghz pentium dual core processor, 2gb ds ram, 250gb HD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:12:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:12:36