Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Sword Tutorial ~Resurrected From The Post Graveyard~

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 02:55
Step 1. Make a box.

Step 2. Select the box and rotate along X-Axis 45°.

Step 3. Scale along Y-Axis to 10%.

Step 4. Scale along X-Axis to 200%.

Step 5. Scale along Z-Axis to 61%.

Step 6. Select end face. Extrude to 6. Scale Uniform to 0%.

Step 7. Select whole object. Right click and choose "Cleanup".

Step 8. Flip object along X-Axis. Select end face opposite of blade tip.

Step 9. Extrude end face to .1636, .3627, .1636.

Step 10. Select faces in middle of the three extrusions you just made.(the .3627)

Step 11. Scale Uniform 120%, scale along Z-Axis 120%.

Step 12. Extrude end face of "guard" to 1.5. Select all the middle edges of the
new formed "handle", and cut them into 5 verts(press 5) and
then connect them(press c).

Step 13. With the newformed vertices still selected, scale Uniform to 78%. Select shown edges.

Step 14. Sword finished! I recommend you clean up the sword as best as you can yourself.

A few things you might do:
-Round the handle a bit
-Lengthen the blade
-Smooth the guard
-Personalize the method of making the sword to suit your needs

Remember this oldie? Was good, and I'm still working on my forums...kinda...so I took it and put it here. Some results from when this was originally posted here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/MasterChief54924/Sword2.jpg
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/7448/019rg.png
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2170/028et.png
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/KrazyJimmy/SwordSheathRend.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/seppuku05/8c20e1df.jpg

Original Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=69054&b=3

"Nice punchline jackass, now let me keep reading"
-AMP(My older brother) 10-28-06 11:00PM
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 04:48
im not sure if my image is still hosted there, ill see if i cant dig it up.

love this tut.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 06:10
Thats....not a really good tutorial.

I guess its alright, but not all software has those imput varaibles, and you havent specified for what package this tutors. other than that, its just a bit too simple.

Maybe make a more indepth tutorial that covers modelling and texturing so that we can get a bit more out of it.

Not a bad start, but still only a start.

Regards,
Greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 01:44

Got good "reviews" last time I posted it, just wanted to bring it up for people who weren't around back when it was originally posted. And it was designed around and for Wings 3D originally, but people said it was fairly universal. Ah well, I'm working on some more in depth tutorials, but I've been frustrated with my work recently, so they won't be out until my refreshed website is(and I'm actually putting some effort behind it this time, so it isn't as craptastic as it was before). We'll see in a few months time I guess.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 12:51
Dont get me wrong, its great of you to help the community by doing stuff like this!!

Keep it up!!

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 14:05
Indeed it is pretty universal, I came across the image I did with that tutorial when I was looking for an image the other day, I think its pretty good for beginners and getting started, I remember the eggplant tutorial I did back when I was an Anim8or user, it was really helpful for getting started. Again, like I said last time its a good tutorial for the aimed part of the community

Snipa Masta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 14:43
Chaning a file's extension to .jpg doesn't stop it being a .BMP (that last image is almost 1mb).

The sword doesn't really resembled a sword, I mean, the handle is bigger than the blade and it would be impossible to hold. I really don't reccomend posting tutorials of this quality.

WindowsXP Professional, Pentium 4 DualCore 2.8GHz CPU (64bit), 1gb DDR2 RAM, GeForce 7800GTX, SoundBlaster X-Fi (7.1)

Milkshape 3d, Ultimate Unwrap 3d, CharacterFX, Photoshop CS
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 17:11
If you don't like the tutorial, don't use it. It's aimed for people who it might actually help. It's rough, and I know it's not professional quality. It's just the first thing of any quality I pulled of as a 3D Modeler, so I wrote a tutorial at the time. I never tried to say it was a great tutorial, just that it got a good response when I first posted it. Oh well.

Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 18:36
Quote: "The sword doesn't really resembled a sword, I mean, the handle is bigger than the blade and it would be impossible to hold. I really don't reccomend posting tutorials of this quality."

ok then genius scale the handle to where you like it.

tutorials are meant to be a basis for things you do, not follow them only step by step to the number, that way you wont ever learn correctly.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 09:19
Quote: "ok then genius scale the handle to where you like it."

Ya what he said.

I thought this tutorial was ok. Like what most people said its good for starters but i know that if you worked on it some more, you could do some really good stuff with it.

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
Snipa Masta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 17:30
But it doesn't help, the final result is really not of any use. Tutorials are meant to help someone complete a model to a good standard, not "Oh, well that kind of looks like a sword".

WindowsXP Professional, Pentium 4 DualCore 2.8GHz CPU (64bit), 1gb DDR2 RAM, GeForce 7800GTX, SoundBlaster X-Fi (7.1)

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 17:38
It does help, its directed at complete newbies, it explains some usage of some tools the beginner would acquire use of from a tutorial, especially if they have no clue what the process of modelling is, before I did the eggplant tutorial for anim8or, my models were made of spheres and cuboids, all it taught me was how you put an objects into a scene extrude and smooth to make an object, it got me started, I see the same idea with this tutorial, as a lot of people on here will be newbies to 3D modelling it only makes sense to me that it was made. I mean you first model isn't going to be the best looking sword or something, but it will be something that helps you get started, complete a model to a good started isn't one of the first things you would do when you start.

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 10:38
@Snipa Masta - Dude would you be quite? I did this tutorial and then after i finished it ,since i already had the base of the sword, i spiced it up a bit and came out with something that looked a lot better. If i did not have the tutorial i might not have gotten as nice a result as i did.

One thing that would be greatly appreciated Insanity, is if you added a UV map part to it. that would be mega help.

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 23:17
That's a good idea. I'll get to work on it this weekend, assuming I don't wind up having plans.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2006 00:47
Uvmapping a sword is simple enough. Though a tutorial would be awsome for two reasons:

1. Give all the new guys a starting poitn for learning proper UVmapping techniques.

2. Giving more skilled people a different out take on Uvmapping, as I am sure that everyone does it a bit differently.

RF

Snipa Masta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2006 17:03
I can see now how a sword tutorial whose result doesn't particularily resemble a sword could be helpful. Sorry for being so ignorant!

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 00:32
come on guys, pull it back in line or i will have to take action.
snipa, how about being a little more constructive if you think it could be improved.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 14:44 Edited at: 10th Nov 2006 14:45
Im not sure what he's talking about, that looks just like Link's main sword from Zelda (not being sarcastic, it really does). Simple is always good.

Just because it doesnt look like a sword from real life doesnt mean it's not good, just look at final fantasy.

Insanity Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 00:11
I should hopefully have time this weekend to add on a UV Mapping in Wings 3D tutorial, specifically for this sword.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 16:13:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 16:13:27