Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / something is wrong with static mesh

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 05:37
phy make rigid body static mesh object

does not work

it dont error out, but there is no collision

what am i doing wrong

thank you
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 06:06
Works fine here, make sure you position and rotate it before you call the command, and don't scale the object either, as that can result in some very big problems.

Hallowed are the ori.
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 06:31 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 06:31
well thanks anyways, but it still wont work. I'm trying to finish up my entry but, I keep constanly running into problems. I guess I will just stick to boxes and spheres, oh well. And I had some very nice houses to put in also. Maybe I will put them in and just not have any collision detection on them cause it just wont add them into the system. Looks like im going back to ngc after all.
Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 11:03 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 11:06
Had the same problem when setting the ramp for Crash Tester. If the object was moved/rotated/scaled before it was setup as static, collision would not work. The strange thing was that other objects worked normally.

The only workaround that I found, was to position/rotate/scale the object in the 3d modeler, so that it is just loaded in DBP, and set immediately as static without further modification.

Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 16:00 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 16:08
OMG your right. It does work now. I just have to set everything up and then load it. Looks like the old way of loading then positioning is not valid any longer. I hope they fix this. Thank you so much.

Edit: Actually this works but it is not good. You can no longer clone/instance and object. Normal clone/instance operations make an exact duplicate and then you position it where you wish. Doing this method say you have 10 identical houses, you can no longer just make one house/1 set of media, you now need 10 houses with 10 sets of pre-set coordinates. Oh freaking well. I really hope they fix this soon. Thank you .....
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 18:54
No you don't, position and rotation before hand is fine, and scaling is only an issue when limb positions are offset, you can also use phy set rigid body position/rotation, to position it after, and instance objects work fine.

Hallowed are the ori.
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 19:25
Ahhh I guess it dont really matter much anymore, cause the competition deadline is very soon and I dont even have much of a game anyways. Its just a demo/level and its not even that good. My collision detection for a bullet is kinda crummy, it keeps passing through all my static meshes anyways, lol. I dont even got any "real" gameplay. I'm just now trying to get a mostly "bug" free level submitted. Maybe I just dont know enough yet about dark physics. Like I said though, thanks for the help.
Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 13:50 Edited at: 13th Nov 2006 16:21
Quote: "Actually this works but it is not good. You can no longer clone/instance and object."

Obviously this workaround requires every individual object to be loaded from an external file having its position already done.

Quote: "you can also use phy set rigid body position/rotation, to position it after"

I was under (maybe wrong?) impression that once an object was setup as static, it cannot be moved.

Quote: "No you don't, position and rotation before hand is fine"

Here is an example of the problem:

The object on the left (edit:hehe typo), which was just loaded and setup as static, works correctly. The middle one, which was moved prior setting it as static does not work. Finally, the more interesting, if an object is setup as static and moved, the collision data will move, while the object attached to it remains were it was initialised and the object needs to be moved manually.

Find attached the file ramp.x used in the code above.

Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:46:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:46:07