Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Goorf's re-entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 19:57 Edited at: 9th Dec 2006 21:00
What happened?
I basically hit a wall with Gaia in the fact that I totally ran out of inspiration and ideas for the game that would make it more interesting. while the game itself seemed liek an interestign concept, putting it into practice prooved too difficult for my immagination.

I've changed course now with a different project, but I'm still using the same terrain generation system i was working with for Gaia, hence I havent lost any time nor had to recode anything in the change-over.

So whats the new project?
I havent got a name for this new project just yet, but here's the idea:
You play a chracter in the woods, or desert, or even town for that matter, with baddies constantly spawning all around you. as you kill, your character developes in 3 ways:

1) evolves, more hp, stronger attack power, etc - possibly depending on the kind of enemies you kill.
2) gains upgrades - learns new spells, picks up items
3) can spawn better friendly units, for example a guy that runs around building towers, or a squad of skeleton archers to help you with the fight.

but at the same time, the enemies get harder and harder, and the fight goes on getting more intense until you eventually run out of lives.

I'm also considering adding 1v1 multiplayer to the game, but that will depend on how much time i have after i've finished everything else.

travelling around the map will lead you to portals to randomly placed bonus areas or different zones, ie city or desert, forest etc, each having its own unique type of NPC's.

So what have I done so far?
I've mostly been taking modelling tutorials since i'm a little rusty in that department, and looking into shaders, ready for creating media for the game.

By way of code, i spent a few hours putting together the fundamentals of the AI scripting, basically being baddies vs friendlies.

I've uploaded a video demonstrating everything so far. if you have anything to say about the video quality, please do so and i will bare it in mind for next time.

Summary of updates (to save reading down):
18th Nov - Started on new idea, but still going to use terrain generation system used in last idea - Gaia
Started the new idea with a simple pathfinding and AI combat algorithm - Video
19th Nov - Started upgradeding the pathfinding to handle multiple AI, bullets, trees etc. This was very time consuming and meant I had to learn to use dbp vectors. click here for link to thread giving information about pathfinding. I may write a tutorial about this, but i stll need to write that tutorial about fractal terrains.
5th Dec - Released demo demonstrating basic outline of the game. shows basic AI movement for both NPCs and "magic" bullets.
6th Dec - Fixed the timer issue, the system that removes used bullets form the game is still glitched though. generally took the day off codingwise.
9th Dec - Added sliding collision between player and trees, using Sparky's Collision DLL.

--Latest Version--

Current Poll:
I'm currently restructuring the world generation system, and I'm wondering, how should the world work?
should it be confined to a specific area that neither the players or NPC can go out of? if so what happens when they do go out? does a collision detection stop them at all, or should an indestructable monster pop up and take the player out? maybe killing this monster will allow you to progress to the next level?
should the world be infinate, allowing the player to walk on forever?
or should the world be repeating/scrolling, making it seem as if the player's walking in circles or around a planet, meaning that running away from danger just brings you round to their back eventually?
update: new idea, stepping out of bounds simply creates a force suckign you back in.
update2: eoin's idea: the further out you go, the thicker the fog gets, and then you randomly re-emerge somewhere on the map., and the fog clears... or something.

current votes form IRC and MSN etc:
2 for scrolling repeating terrain
2 for the monster
1 for a mix of fog and scrolling terrain
1 for fog

Attachments

Login to view attachments
EFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 21:00
AI work is looking good. Can't wait to see some visual work in front of that.

PS: Any link's that have a space in the name, won't get recognized correctly in the posting script .

-
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 21:01
there isnt any spaces :/
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 21:17
Quote: "there isnt any spaces :/"

Then what do these Represent

Quote: "%20"

El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 21:27
oh, heh, i didnt think that counted >.>
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Your AI system looks good. Just like EFX said, "AI work is looking good. Can't wait to see some visual work in front of that."
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 00:29
problem is i'm not excactly sure as to what genre to go with.

i could have the player be a troop with loads of aliens/terrorists int he woods, or it could be a mage fighting against oncoming skeleton armies, or just random shapes like geometry wars.

either way, the engine's still going to be the same, so it shouldnt matter as long as i still have time to make the models when i need them.

I've just been fixing a few timer bugs and a glitch with the NPC's health. I can't see any more issues, hence I'm now going to work out AI behaviours. I've jotted down a list of different AI behaviours which i can give to different npc species.

This covers things like attempting to dodge bullets by moving out of the way, maintaining a distance from melee units, hit and run, and also group co-ordinated behaviour such as running away and waiting for reinforcements, counterattacking and attacking the enemy unit that has the most friendlies attacking it, giving the "ganging up" effect.

and then for the uber elite species of NPC, i'm going to give them all these abilities + a clalculator makign think properly about what to do, rather than being one of the easier dumb npc's thats restricted to single modes of thinking.

but first up i'm going to have to put together a pathfinding routine, for working around trees etc.

and then: maintaining distance. what shall we say.. upload a new video demonstrating AI after every 5 behaviours is scripted? therefore, next video will be demonstrating: (1)pathfinding, (2)maintaining distance, (3)attacking closest, (4)attacking weakest and (5)attacking strongest.
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2006 13:57
update: pathfinding routine done, will spend next free moments optemising the code and then mix it in with the already done code, so then they'll fight, AND walk around trees. I'll then put together the bullet system so then the npc's dodge bullets.

AND THEN hopefully by the end of tonight i'll have a video uploaded showing new features.

i'll set up some proper camera angles first though, get a more in-game type camera than top down like last time.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2006 22:17
Woo spheres kick.

Go spheres!

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 15:14 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2006 15:15
stuck in the school library folding bits of card... oooh yeaaaaaaaaaa

decided im gonna do origami style graphics, hence im doing a lot of origami for better understanding of it when it comes to the modelling and animation.
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 10:52
OK, i would have had a demo ready for last night, would be up this morning, but at the last minute my pathfinding decided to break and i can't seem to fix it.

i'm gonna be working my ass off again like i did yesterday, hsould have an EXE demo ready for tonight.
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 23:35 Edited at: 5th Dec 2006 23:53
note: this post has a lot of reference to field effect pathfinding for the AI. for more information, go here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93712&b=1

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

I finally fixed the pathfinding, and then stepped up the tone by coding a lil bit more.

for you lucky people I have an EXE demo available right here (see attachment - the download button), late i know, but as a result of my pathfinding breaking, i decided to learn about vectors and rewrite the whole thing with vector math.

controls:
WASD + mouse for movement
ctrl - spawns what will be archers, small cubes
space - spawns what will be tougher warriors
1 - selects magic bullets (default), scripted to "heatseek" targets, and also dodge trees
2 - selects standard bullets the fire straight.

GUI:
irrelevant- mostly for debugging purposes, but you're probably wondering anyway
top is co-ords, followed by bearing the player is facing
flicking number below is the time, in ms, of the last loop
list the accumulates on the right side is a list of the NPC's health.

What it demonstrates:
The good:
What the game play will look like, controls and map layout will be the same - apart from obviously the AI will be spawning by itself, not on cue from the player.
Movement AI, which can be applied to both NPC's and "magic bullets". Ai can seek targets, while avoid obsticles, and each other.

The bad:
Sometimes the NPC's push each other through trees. I'm gonna have to work on a secondary field that pushes even harder if the npc's are touching the static objects.

Known bugs:
On one friend's pc there was a huge timer error, i think it's down to his CPU, since im using perftimer(). if you find that the timer on the GUI is more than 30ms, (on my friends it was around 5000), hence the co-ordinated become very big very quickly, please tell me your CPU. i've got a feeling this glitch only happens on intel cpus. im gonna have to look into this.
I did have a glitch where the game randomly crashed while trying to remove a used bullet from the system. It took me a while to figure out, and i think it was something to do with trying to remove 2 bullets in one loop. I think i've fixed it, It's hard to replicate and test since it is such a rare occurance. If you get any form of error please tell me what it is excactly.

To Come:
Before i call this part of the engine done, I'm going to need to tweak the pathfinding a bit. after that, it'll be optimisation, recoding, restructuring various bits.
Then I will be adding combat, starting with the warriors fighting, and then work on having the archers firing arrows (and then give the player some health so he can actually be damaged).
After that, will come more AI scripting to do with various movement and behaviour styles, and then have the player be able to spawn friendly AI at will.

The more distant future:
Will add my fractals terrain system for proper land forming.
I've been practising technique in modelling origami style birds. slowly we'll be seeing more and more actual graphics being added to the game, rather than cubes and spheres.
I should also have a sample of music very soon.

Attachments

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 23:58
Really good AI. You should make some functions to work with them, then give 'em out! ^^

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 00:20
Can't wait to see it finished. I especially want to see these origami characters.

Tinnedhead Productions

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 15:07
You need to framerate cap it, it's unplayable on this system

El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 16:17 Edited at: 6th Dec 2006 18:57
kent - did you get the symptoms described? if so, you're the second person so far to report the problem out of about 10. i just hope the competition judges arent one of the 20% of computers that are going to have the framerate problems heh...

anyway, from now on, i'll keep the frames capped for every demo i release

incoming frame-capped version...

edit: still broken. atm the general concenus is that it doesnt work for intel cpu's but works fine for AMD. if you've downloaded the demo, please tell me what you get as a result, and what your CPU is, this would be helpful for a bug report

edit update: please try and see if this version, using timer() rather than perftimer(), works any better:

http://70.84.105.244/~elgoorf/NVidia%20-%20AI1%20-%20timer.zip

Attachments

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 02:55
Both version seem to work the same for me on my work computer

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz
1GB RAM
Radeon 9200SE (sad isnt' it?)

Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity,
Little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity. - Lewis F. Richardson
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 19:32 Edited at: 7th Dec 2006 19:42
ok i think i fixed the timer glitch simply by reverting back to timer() rather than perftimer(), but i found that my bullets data glitch is still around, im hoping it'll emerge while i do th eoptimisation. speaking of optimisation, i'm currently working on optimising/restructuring the world generation code, which got me thinking:

should i continue to have the world confined to a blue box like it was in the demo (just pretend i turned on collision between the box and the player), or should i have a scrolling, repeating terrain? or how about stepping outside of the blue box results in a monster coming to gobble you up?

i just find the idea of being confined to an invisible box pretty lame. just where in RL do you find ghosted planes in the middle of the woods that block you off? then again, this is a game, not RL, so opinions plz
Eoin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 21:50
I vote for Eoin's idea,

I think it's great

GeeHost.com for all your hosting needs
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 00:21
I R SEE NO POLL!

Bluebox, step outside blue box have monster rape you.

And it runs toooooooo fast on my comp..

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 21:26
you didnt download the latest fixed version.

i'll stick it as the download link in the top post.
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 20:30
Finished optimising now.

Yesterday I added bouncing bullets and I've just now finished adding a gravity system for bullets too. oh.. and I added a bit more height to the player, thought it looked to much like the player was about a foot high.. so uh... yeh.

I'm focussing on adding more weapon types at the moment, before moving onto focussing on AI, just thinking now about how to add a flamethrower type weapon into my game.
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 14:49
i've just now finished working on chained bullet systems, and have used it to create flame thrower, mortar and chain lightning effects. video may be coming soon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-24 06:35:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-24 06:35:44