Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] TALON/SWORDS-esque character-ish robot thing... It's FREE :P

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 18:42 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 10:55

It doesn't have any animation to it but still works pretty well. Maybe one of you can put it to use anyhow. I'd like to make the camera the "head" so it can look around and have the bottom section pivot when strafing but I don't have much time to mess with that sort of thing right now. Consider this the "lite" version.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could post screenies of it equipped with the M249 SAW from model pack 5 and also the HK23 LMG from model pack 6 since I don't have either.

There are three different .x files and .fpe files because of the no animation thing.

Comments, usage screenies, etc. welcome. It could use a good script too

PLEASE NOTE: The FPSC WEAPONS shown are NOT INCLUDED in the download.
You can give these "robots" any weapon what can be assigned to an NPC and has a VWEAP.x associated with it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Owen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 18:46
Wow, they look Awesome!!

you were erased by a mods signature :S
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Right im not here just passing by and saw these and like to say good work.

Great work S4.

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
Rawy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey I saw those things, there going to use them in bagdad.

Right now does it have scripts and what not to go with it?

Why do you guys not put your models into a install wizard??!?!?!?!
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 19:13
neato!

great work man!

Be sure to check the forum for special offers, and free stuff!
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Oninmista n00b, Silent Thunder and phantom ghost of s4 (hope your hiatus is going well).

Rawy, yeah... I think they already have some over there. Stryker brigade has been testing them. Right now, there's no custom scripts for it. It defaults to "pace" and "chase". I set the destroy to "leave corpse" so that when it's dead you can snatch the weapon right off the cradle.
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 19:24
looks amazing with the minigun, you've outdone yourself again EAI.

Woot Kingdom hearts owns!
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
Woah how'd you do that? That's really neat EAI! Well done my friend!

-A happy Phlumetoid

[center]
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 19:53 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 19:58
Awesome work again, Errant
The ones used in baghdad, if i have heard correctly, are used for bomb defusals... Theyre currently used by the Special forces around the world (SWAT, for example) as a "camera man"... They are placed into the house, under siege, and explore the house with it. They shift around the house viewing the situation - they can even climb up stairs!

Again, excellent work!

For anyone that wants to see it in action;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8dsm0irNWg

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 19:59
Very good work as usual man. This is just what I needed for my latest......

Regards,
RF

DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 20:10 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 20:57
ty vm nice job.m249 on the assault" version

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Highlander
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome, DOMRAY. Thanks for that. It looks like the firespot is too far to the right for that weapon and it's clipping through the cradel. (You used the "assault" version, right?) Hmm. May need to have a seperate version for the SAW to fit right.

RF, glad you like it.

Thanks, tyrano man. Had to mount the minigun upside-down in order to fit.

Phlum, Smitho's got it right. It's just a character with a firespot bone and a couple other bones in the minigun and launcher versions.

Yep. It's a weaponized version of the "robots" used for EOD.

Here's a little info for for the benifit of those unfamiliar with it:

http://www.defenselink.mil/transformation/articles/2004-12/ta120604c.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwg9VtejXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3UJ91zxhM
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 20:45
Fantastic. What more can you say.
DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 21:07
yes that was mounted on the assault" version.here is 5 more screen shots of different angles for you to look at.

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Highlander

Attachments

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 23:29
Fascinating work EAI!! Looks amazing...and nice to come up with something like this

Sure be downloading it. Thanks for it

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Cut scenes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 00:44
Dear god that is how you use fpsc! AMAZING!

"People are easier to search when they're dead."--Captain Barbosa
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 00:50
That is SWEEEETTTT. The minigun looks best I think.

Tiggle Bitties

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 00:56
This is some nice work,Errant.Good job.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 01:00 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 01:14
Radical. Thanks

Ok, I just tried it. This is just too cool. Thanks again.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

the ultimate gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much.

hi
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 03:34 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 03:34
DOMRAY, many thanks for those. Hopefully the attached will work better.

Loc, Thanks man. Murphys law states that you will find the best reference after you've UV mapped a model >< THere are a few flaws still that I hope to work out should I create and release a "full" version.

Filya, Cut scenes, Jenkins and FredP, Thanks fellas. I hope you have fun with them.

xplosys and the ultimate gamer, I'm glad you like them.

Attached are the .x and .fpe files for use with the M249 SAW from MP5. Let me know if the alignment is good and I'll update the original download. If anyone has MP6, it would be sweet to see a test with the HK23 and maybe the MSG90 too.

Attachments

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 03:48
haha, thats friggin awesome!

i'll have to try this out tommorow, if possible can i see a closeup of all the mechanics?

17" 1920x1200, 2GHz T2700 Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS PCI-E, 100GB HDD, DVDRW
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Jon!

Quote: "if possible can i see a closeup of all the mechanics?"

Check the attachment on this post. I uploaded images to imageshack but that site is being weird atm.

Not really a whole lot to see because I didn't really know what I was looking at when I modeled it. I need to brush up on robot and soft-mount anatomy

Attachments

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 21:05
Nice work,however...

if the MOD's looked at this sharp,you would not be allowed to post the .X files.as it contains copyrighted material from The game creators.(Look at the weapons)

I am sorry,but it is the truth.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
As always Errant your work is superb,downloading these now,then I'm gonna have a play around later.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
What an inventive way to make an attackng character! Great work.

Quote: "if the MOD's looked at this sharp,you would not be allowed to post the .X files.as it contains copyrighted material from The game creators.(Look at the weapons)
"

What, I don't see anything. If you're talking about the weapons, he isn't distributing those. The robot "holds" the weapons.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 23:26 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 00:47
Prince Of Darkness, thanks but... what bond1 says. There's no TGC material at all in these. If you think the weapons are part of the character then you're missing the whole point. You can use them with any gamecore weapon that has a vweap. Be they stock or custom.

Thank you rolfy, glad you like it

Thanks, bond1! I wish I could script scrolling UVWs or export animated UVs to make the tracks move This will be my tutorial for learning a little about how characters work in FPSC, once I get around to it. I figure if I can get it to bobble a little when it moves, have the boom camera respond to head facing scripts and spin around or fall apart when it "dies", I'll be a happy camper.

The thing I like about it is that when it does goofy things (because my scripting is poor) it looks almost believable because it's not a human. It's pretty funny when running your medicheal script too
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 00:01 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 00:11
Errant, the reason the MP5 SAW didn't work right is because the guns have no firespots...not the fault of your work. Just to let ya know.

This looks pretty good! I like it with the chaingun

EDIT: Attaching picture with the sniper from MP6...I'll post a pic with the machinegun next...

Attachments

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 00:12
And the machinegun...I like this one cause it seems the belt is being fed from in the machine...very nice

Attachments

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh wow! Thanks so much for posting those, Airslide. They line up real well and the MG looks great on there.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 07:01
Ah,it seemed to be one model,sorry for that then.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 09:55
Those all look great! - pretty menacing, just like these things should be.

I doubt TGC would have much to say so long as you don't charge for these, the biggest gripe TGC has with people using copyrighted media is when they try and make money from it. They would be a great media pack, like if you added scripts and moving tracks and stuff, I'm surprised more people don't make complete enemy drones like this, stuff that can get by on real basic AI scripting.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Prince Of Darkness, no problem. It's all good. I used stock weapons for the pics because I thought it would make it more apparent that the weapons are only assigned in the character entity details and not part of the actual model.

Van B, thanks for the comments and I totally agree about the basic AI.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to script UVW scrolling in an FPSC character, let alone to only have a certain group in an entity scrolling. Otherwise, it would be easy to detach the outer and inner parts of the track if scrolling was possible. The map is set up so that the tracks are the top section of the texture map, only minor texture editing (removing the part with the inner rims) would be needed. Would be a nice addition for X10.

BTW, TGC has posted that they frown on distribution of their assets. As a rule, downloads containing their assets are deleted. I've added a line to the bottom of the original post that will hopefully clarify what people are looking at.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 15:49
If you were to offset the top track a little bit, then save it as a seperate texture in the texturebank, and set that to the entities alttexture, you could make a script with somewhat convincing results. Though entity timers would be the best bet for this, there's probally a work-around.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 16:26
Errant AI what your position on someone retexturing your work see I haven’t got a boss for my game yet and I was thinking of retexturing and resizing your robot to make it a large enemy tank thing for a finale battle I would of cause put you on the credits how about it?

The world is complicated only people are simple
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "what your position on someone retexturing your work"

Errant produces the best texturing work I have ever seen,and someone wants to re-do them,aww man.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 17:43
I can't believe theres even a question in here about the guns not being part of the download. I thought it was all pretty clear with you talking about the firespot placement and asking if someone could try the M5 pack guns out so you could see how it positioned it self since you didnt have those guns.
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 19:19

This is like robot wars! Thanks so much!

www.freewebs.com/supahsfpscstuff THE FORUM IS UP! JOIN NOW AND GET UNREALEASED MODEL PACK! Space open for first 3 joiners.
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 23:23
totally original, superb, i love this lol

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Airslide- I'll have to give that a shot. Was also thinking about an alt texture there the tracks are motion blurred a little but when I was searching to find how to make it leave a burned out "corpse", I thought I had read that alt-texture didn't work on characters...

small fish, Yes you may. That's no problem at all and I think it says what you can and can't do with them in the readme. I wouldn't have included a UV template in the download if I didn't want users to be able to personalize them for their games. I'd love to see a pic of your gigantor version once you've done it

rolfy- I appreciate that but it was a bit of a rush job to be honest. It was sort of exhausting laying out the UV map and so I didn't put as much time into it as I would have liked to.

Loc... That would require like reading n stuff. Booooring.

JohannesM and Cherd- Thanks for the comments and you're very welcome! Have fun with 'em.
the programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Truly Amazing, i must say this facinating peice is quite somthing and is most definatly a hit.

I give you this one message "keep up the good work and dont stop".

This is truly amazing technolagy and will be a great nessasity to the fpsc software and development, i recomend learneing the skills needed to animate so that your models can be profesional and wll become a major monument of the fpsc forum and software of it self.

Cheers Mate
the programmer
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 03:59 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 04:01
Quote: "i recomend learneing the skills needed to animate so that your models can be profesional "

Lol......What was that? He was kidding right?

I guess? He could try?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 04:13
I am pretty sure that if EAI wanted to animate this he could have.
I mean...I am just going off of what I have seen in the videos of the weapons he has made for FPSC.
Especially since I haven't seen better work than he has done with those weapons.Those that have not done so and are not familiar with EAI's work should check out his vids.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 20:04
Quote: "This is truly amazing technolagy and will be a great nessasity to the fpsc software and development, i recomend learneing the skills needed to animate so that your models can be profesional and wll become a major monument of the fpsc forum and software of it self. "

ROFL.... Thanks programmer. At least once a day I need to laugh. But seriously though, I recommend learning to spell. It's very helpful when you are trying to come off as intelligent.

I'm sure EAI will take your compliments in good spirits. We are all quite proud of him here.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 01:28
Quote: "i recomend learneing the skills needed to animate"

lol...
I think EAI is probally one of the best (if not the best) modelers and animaters around here! And I've got some of his stuff (and more coming) already, in DBP with nice high framerates it is utterly awsome...

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 01:39
Not wanting to get off topic but for those that missed it you ought to read EAI's article in the latest Ozark Games newsletter.
Then look at his resume.If envy could kill a guy I would be dead.
EAI is among the best of the best.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 02:48
Well he's the only pro us saps know anyways......He's kinda slumming it in here with us...I imagine it's an artist version of picking up trailor trash in a bar.....we're easy
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL guys. Flattery will get you everywhere.

Thanks for the comments, the programmer . I appreciate them.

There will be a fully animated and scripted version at some point but I'm back to working on my weapons pack now.
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 20:44
Bit late with my post, but just wanted to join everyone else in saying: outstanding. Just outstanding. What an absolutely fantastic idea that is. Ingenius. Wish I'd thought of that. Wish I had the skill and talent to create that. Wish I had the generosity of character to share that. Hats off to you, EAI.
TheDaddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 21:27
@Errant AI

So you are saying that we can use those beautiful bots free, royalty free in commercial and non-commercial product?

Just one question, if you kill one of them, what happens? Do they stop and start smoking? (that would be cool!)

Actually I might try shooting one.

You are brilliant!

Marvellous!

I love them

Behind you!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:45:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:45:42