Off Topic / Check out my retro horror fps - fpsc x9 BiM

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 07:36 Edited at: 13th May 2019 23:43
Hopefully it's cool to post this here, just wanted to get some opinions on a project. Would be super cool to get some feedback before I proceed much further

TGC Forum Thread

Developer:

EGGDOG Media (sbegley001)

Downloads:
https://sbgames.itch.io/escape-the-place
(outdated version) TGC Forums Exclusive: Xplosys Edition

Storyline:

You awake in a derelict room. Your head feels foggy and your awareness is thin - some more sleep sounds like heaven. However, the hard, mattress-less, and vaguely blood-stained metal bed you awoke on is less than inviting, and any conventional wisdom would lead you to get the heck out of here.

So that's exactly what you're going to do.

Your phone, wallet, and keys are no where to be found and you spy nothing that would make a suitable weapon in your immediate vicinity.

Oh well, at least you still have your clothes.

Description:

A short, 3 level survival horror game I'm putting together - inspired by the early Resident Evil games' environments and Uzi Idiot's wonderful Retro Screen shader. This demo is the fully playable (albeit unpolished) 1st level. Looking for some feedback before I finish her up and proceed to build the other two levels.

Key:
= incomplete
= in progress
= finished[/color]

Level 01
Level Design
Level Layout
Light Placement
Enemy Placement
Mechanics In Place
Polishing

Level 02
Level Design
Level Layout
Light Placement
Enemy Placement
Mechanics In Place
Polishing

Level 03

Maniac Mode
Enemies are Stronger
Enemies are Faster
Hype Background Music
Menu Screens
Sweet "Maniac" posteffect courtesy of CoZ (miss that guy, never did get to play his horror contest submission)

HUDs and Menu Screens
In Game HUD
Start Menu
Win Screen
Lose Screen

Play the free demo and shoot me that sweet, sweet C&C

V001.0 Road Map

- Build Levels 2 "The Tube" and 3 "The Complex"

Confirmed Bugs (to be fixed in v00.31)(ETA 3/10/2019):

- No Confirmed Bugs (Yet )

Change Log:

v00.34

- Different BG in Maniac Mode
- Launcher Updated
- Maniac Mode must niw be unlocked by beating the game

v00.33

- Updated launcher courtesy of xplosys

v00.32

- Fixed - Player Wounded Speed Regenerates After Healing
- Fixed - Ambient Light Level Intitialization Works Properly

v00.31

- Fixed - "Click to Start" Hud doesn't display in MANIAC MODE
- Fixed- Yes/No options in the "Are you sure?" box when overwriting a saved game are invisible until hovered over
- Fixed- Boss Not Spawning

v00.3

- All New MANIAC MODE!
- Now Packaged with DirectX 9
- Exclusive Game Launcher
- Fire Axe Adjusted
- AI Is Smarter
- Modified Weapon Icons
- Instruction/Direction Huds
- Health Hud
- Descriptive Pick Up Huds
- Boss Modified
- New Themed Menu Screens
- Slight Redesign
- Texture changes
- Darkness/Ambience Adjustments
- All Pickups Flash
- Revised Audio and Player Sounds
- Player Sprint Adjusted
- New Cursor
- Ceilings Now Have Their Own Texture
- Fixed - Post Effect Shader

v00.21

- Fixed - Hud Scaling

v00.2

- Fixed - Invisible Enemies
- Fixed - Skybox Issue
- Fixed - Wooden Door Breakable

This thread or email me at: eggdogmedia@gmail.com
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 10:14
Good retro feel. Lighting is good also. Atmospheric too, most importantly. Great stuff.

Have you tried GameGuru using Prebens Cartoon and Retro Dither Shaders, I am using those on my game and they look great.

Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 16:52
Thanks Tarkus, did you play it or just commenting on the screenies? Either way - thanks for the praise

I was under the impression Preben's shaders were in the newest beta, I didn't know we could get ahold of them and try them out! I've seen some beautiful screenies and videos showing them off. Do you have a forum link I could explore?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 17:29
Prebens Cartoon and Retro Dither Shaders have been in the live gameguru for ages, since 1.4 i think, just go into the reloaded folder and find the settings file, they're in there, just un-comment them. Before they will show up though you will need to force the shaders to compile by going into the base gameguru folder, opening the setup.ini and setting a line to 1 (i can't remember the line it says force something or other), then running a test map once, it will take longer to load the test map, but once you've done it once it will have compiled the shaders and you can change the line back to 0 for quicker loading times.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 19:19
Thanks Belidos! I will be trying that as soon as I get home
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2019 00:34
An excellent and hilarious video of youtube user ProofreadFire giving it a playthrough

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2019 00:58
I'll give it a spin and tell ya what I think
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2019 01:34
Um its in alpha Wolf...I promise its not a finished product

That said dont go easy on me, I can take harsh criticisms as well as any praise. Eager to hear your thoughts!
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2019 00:05
Couple cheap menu screenies:

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2019 17:03
Suitable designs I'd say
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2019 20:38 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2019 20:39
Thank Wolfs - means a lot coming from you on a simple project in such early stages

I've been very hard at work on this huge and "final" update to the alpha version - I'm excited to say its nearly complete and being released later today! This update aims to complete the alpha version demo of Escape the Place so we can move into constructing the rest of the game

Update Features Include
- Health Huds
- Boss Modified
- Slight redesign
- Texture changes
- Darkness/Ambience adjustments
- All pickups flash
- Press Enter to Pick up Items
- Revised player sounds

Fixes
- Post Effect Shader Fixed
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 01:19
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 20:48
Its very nice work and I like how it remains in scale! This is a small single player horror game and it knows it. In an age where everyone feels the need to broadcast every stick figure he drew on all social media outlets and, of course, release it for 4,99 on steam your approach is a breath of fresh air.

The game is an oddity to me simply because I saw a lot of attempts to bypass texturing and having an art direction by vomiting a pixelate or retro shader over a project HOWEVER your project actually works visually.

It works really well and does have that vibe you had while playing System Shock on PC or something like the Alien Trilogy on the good old PS. Just this visual style where I can make out very well what I am seeing but my mind is filling out the blanks. I could very well picture how this game would look without the postprocessing as I know all these assets and surprisingly, with the additional definition it would have this greyish unrefined look of early FPSC games, it would be apparent that the media is from different packs and the enemies would stand out HOWEVER, with the postprocessing it all works. That hallway early on with the red tinted metal is oppressive and creepy while it would have been dull and underwhelming without the retro effect.

This game is well designed for the most parts and I only have a few gripes with it in its current stage but I want to wax about retro themed projects a little more. As I mentioned earlier, you get a whole bunch of people that try to hide horrible design with it and they usually still rely on high polygon models and unoptimized environments. So their "retro" game runs and is the size of something very taxing on the hardware while it looks like its 20 years old. There is a game on steam that claims that it wants to recapture the look of the AMIGA games but its just all of the GG content with the cartoon filter on top. This is dishearteningly bad and dishonest and I'm glad to see that you actually knew what you where doing by showing a lot of restraint with level details. It all works so well together like the game Synther where it really looks meant that way and better in its pixelated form. Given your design choices, this is also the first FPSC game I ever played where the little LED flashlight looked good. (Just don't put a full sized flashlight in the player then can't pick up )

The game had a nice atmosphere to it but it could use a few more ambient sound effects here and there. You can use "cutters" to break up the walls here and there or add a few doors that can not be opened. Communicate to the player that there are many corners and enemy might come from, otherwise they notice that they just kinda spawn.

In fact, the enemies where my gripe with the game. They are high polygon, very well known and spread around the internet. When I released a game using them they where already often recognised as "FPSC models" and that was 10 years ago. They have since been used in OH so many low tier steam games and they don't go well with the atmosphere you created either. The axe brutes work in this environment but the straight-jacket monster and the tank seem so oddly out of place.

FPSC's AI is the monster playing a spotting animation and then darting towards you. Thats it, it has no pathfinding. Keep that in mind and try to not have furniture or boxes block the path of the monster.

As for the creatures, if this is your design choice, I respect that completely, but if you are interested, I still have a whole bunch of different low poly characters from the good old days that I can offer you. They would go better with the retro theme in my opinion.

One last thing: Behind the retro shader are still the full sized textures! If you open the setup.ini you can edit that out by writing in:

Dividetexturesize = 2 or dividetexturesize = 4 (whatever looks better) That way your game will run even faster on lower end machines!

Last comment: The choice to remove the players arms was pretty neat but EAI's guns look pretty high poly. Have you tried the modelpack 5 guns?? Whatever looks better!

A bit more context would have been cool too but I see that you are already working on that.

This is a nice little project and I'm looking forward to more. Very cool.

sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 11:30 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 20:57
Thank you for your indepth and valuable review Wolf!

Uzi Idiots shader is amazing, I was just playing around throwing it in different maps Ive made and in revisiting a few horror ones a light bulb clicked on.

Im really glad you liked and appreciated the atmosphere and design choices, Im very happy with how it is coming out. Indeed it loses a lot of its charm without the postprocessing effect, which I see you experienced by loading a save game haha

Im not expert by any means but I do know a tiny bit about color theory and am trying very hard to create an interesting and oppresive environment.

Yes on the topic of "retro"(low effort) games it is sad to see such things but as easy as it is to launch a game these days perhaps it was inevitable low effort atrocities would flood the internet. However, some kind of quality control would be nice!(Steam and Google Play cough cough)

Always loved those little lights but yes, every single person has tried to take the (obviously malfunctioning!) flashlight lol so it is now a lamp

Excellent idea and advice on the cutters, I had completely forgotten about holez and buttercutters! Definitely need to flesh out the details a bit more, Ive been working very hard to "complete" this alpha version and move on to building the other two levels. Though the alpha version wont be getting updates anymore it is still likely level 1 will recieve some changes by the end of the game.

Yeah enemy placement and the entities surrounding them have been revised to help the ai get to the player now. Indeed not very scary when they cant chase you!

It is true not all the monsters fit super well and they are unfortunately incredibly well known. I remember playing Euthanasia! Hilarious about that minor political backlash haha. Ill definitely be giving that one a play again once I drop this update

I do plan on messing with the textures a bit to fit the game better, but Ive tried my hand at modeling/animating and have yet to discover any real affinity with it It would be a massive boon to me and I would be so extremely grateful for some characters!

I am definitely, definitely interested!!

Excellent tip on the dividetxturesize I will definitely be putting that to use. Yeah especially with how rounded the M9 is it definitely doesnt fit...Ive changed it to a different pistol in the new update(p99 I think?) but I will definitely be exploring different options for guns. There's certainly no shortage Still not sure I want iron sights or not, I wonder if there is a way to hold down for it instead of toggle? I need to look into it. Im glad you liked the no hands choice, I thought it looked nifty too and now I dont have to worry about hands Still a little nostalgic over old fpsc too, I think...

Yes, context is coming as well as a bunch of other stuff! Ive been crunching every free second Ive had to get this update out and though things are subject to change in the full release, I'm quite proud of how its coming along

Thanks again for taking the time to write such an indepth review and thanks for playing it. I hope you'll give it another go when the update drops hopefully tomorrow and I am definitley excited to hear more about those characters - this game needs some (thematically appropriate) variety!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 01:42
I'm looking forward to more!

I'll PM you about some of the other stuff Do you also own game guru by the way?
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 00:49
Awesome update is almost ready It is amazing how much more time some things can take than one would think

Awesome sounds great - psyched to hear from you! PM me here, tgc forums, email, or discord. Personally I prefer discord, but whatever works for you is cool

I do have gameguru and I love it. Its the only reason Im learning LUA lol, thank the Code Lords for smallg and amenmoses or I would never figure anything out Usually prefer it to fpsc but some things fpsc still does better (cough lightmapping and properties options cough cough)
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 13:14 Edited at: 10th Mar 2019 13:16
Version V00.3 is out! Let me know what you guys think!

Check it out here:
https://eggdog-media.itch.io/escape-the-place/devlog/71180/monster-update-v003-is-finally-here
Confirmed Bugs (to be fixed in v00.31)(ETA 3/10/2019):

- "Click to Start" Hud doesn't display in MANIAC MODE
- Yes/No options in the "Are you sure?" box when overwriting a saved game are invisible until hovered over. Just move your mouse over the right side of the box and they will highlight.

Change Log:

v00.3

- All New MANIAC MODE!
- Now Packaged with DirectX 9
- Exclusive Game Launcher
- Fire Axe Adjusted
- AI Is Smarter
- Modified Weapon Icons
- Health Hud
- Boss Modified
- Slight Redesign
- Texture changes
- Darkness/Ambience Adjustments
- All Pickups Flash
- Revised Audio and Player Sounds
- Player Sprint Adjusted
- New Cursor
- Ceilings Now Have Their Own Texture
- Fixed - Post Effect Shader
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 22:16
Fixes are here

- Fixed - "Click to Start" Hud doesn't display in MANIAC MODE
- Fixed- Yes/No options in the "Are you sure?" box when overwriting a saved game are invisible until hovered over
- Fixed- Boss Not Spawning

sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2019 05:42 Edited at: 11th Mar 2019 05:45
Some more screenies and a couple fixes from the release Xplosys Edition not shown - you'll have to play that one yourself to see it ( download in original post ^ )

- Fixed - Player Wounded Speed Regenerates After Healing
- Fixed - Ambient Light Level Intitialization Works Properly

Somebody play it and give me some feedback! I need to know if there is any other bugs and what was a bad design choice lol

osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2019 17:09 Edited at: 13th Mar 2019 18:15
Generaly iam not a fan of all these minecraft-alike, or cartoon-style games but this one looks quite interesing.Iam gonna make a video-review about it(with gg games i dont make them cuz my pc is too weak).
PM
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2019 18:39 Edited at: 13th Mar 2019 18:40
Quote: "Generaly iam not a fan of all these minecraft-alike, or cartoon-style games but this one looks quite interesing."

Thanks osiem80 I have worked very hard on this alpha version and am working hard on the rest of the game (2 - 3) more levels. I have everything mapped out just a matter of building it I am heavily inspired by the old resident evil and parasite eve games and theur gorgeous environment design.

Quote: "Iam gonna make a video-review about it"

Thats awesome, cant wait Dont forget to post it here at least, and if you want to go one more post it on the games itch.io page and drop a rating on it
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2019 20:07 Edited at: 13th Mar 2019 20:28
Downloaded, well at the first glance looks quite solid, remembers on penumbra.But i cant record a video within gameplay, i have 40 FPS....
PM
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2019 20:33
Quote: "remembers on penumbra"

Oh wow thank you! Shame butterfingers stopped developing in fpsc

Have you tried OBS? Great recording program and free too

https://obsproject.com/download
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2019 23:39
osiem80 if you saw the new devlog dont worry about downloading the new version unless you want different music in maniac mode lmao
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 16:02
Quote: " Shame butterfingers stopped developing in fpsc"

He was the biggest inspiration for me back then and indirectly taught me a lot about game making as a hobby. But people move on to different stages in their life and thats okay too.

What exactly is maniac mode btw?
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 18:58 Edited at: 14th Mar 2019 19:02
Quote: "indirectly taught me a lot about game making as a hobby"

So true, he blew my mind back in the day. Seems most everyone has moved on from making games, or at least posting in the forums. Barely any websites still up these days.

Quote: "What exactly is maniac mode btw?"

I shouldn't tell you, and say you gotta beat the game to see But, since its already posted up above:
Quote: "
Maniac Mode
- Enemies are Stronger
- Enemies are Faster
- Hype Background Music
- Menu Screens
- Sweet "Maniac" posteffect courtesy of CoZ (miss that guy, never did get to play his horror contest submission)"

Pretty much a fancy hard mode. How hard I thought it should be haha which I realized was way too hard for most people. But it is beatable, I can personally attest to that
Peke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2019 14:28
I was hoping to get a start on my retro/indie reviewing spree with this, although I can't seem to pick up the little flashlight in the beginning after going up the stairs.
PM
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2019 17:18
Quote: "I can't seem to pick up the little flashlight "

Oh no! Thats not good. I havent had any trouble in my end, but I did notice a few youtubers had to crouch to pick it up for some reason? Not sure why but clearly my scripts need some tweaking, if not completely rewritten, for the v1.0 release.

Try crouching and make sure you are looking at it - let me know if it works. Remember to press enter.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2019 18:08 Edited at: 16th Mar 2019 18:10
Made a quick walkthrough/speedrun of Escape the Place - If you are having trouble fighting enemies, finding items, or progressing the game, this is for you.

Warning: ALL THE SPOILERS
maiacoimbra69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2019 15:54
love the Maniac Mode , lolololo

Nice work dude , great imagination , congrats
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2019 18:07
Update

Started back at college this month, but still dedicated to Escape the Place!

Level 2 "The Tube" is very much a work in progress, but it's starting to come together. Brought a couple teaser screenies for you guys

official devlog

Cheers!
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2019 18:07
Also ty maiacoimbra69, let me know what you think if you give it a whirl
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 04:08
Forgot to post these here :o

Couple more screenies from progress on Level 2: The Tube

Criticize freely Ty all and cheers
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2019 22:48
I played the Xplosys Edition. It was the single most frustrating FPSC game I've ever played.

I'm not saying it was badly designed, I like the layout of the level, but it was a bit too dark and the enemies were way too hard for me, and health packs too sparse. The first axe-wielding heavy, for example, I ended up using the same technique as that YouTuber, making him clip with the shelving geometry. That was the only way I could defeat him; it seems like there was a 1 sec delay on me clicking to swing my axe and the blow being delivered, while his animations seemed much faster and he dealt damage more quickly. Then there were the two straitjacketed bastards that sprang out of the hallway, neither of which I could run away fast enough from so I died both times.

On one reload from a save in an empty room, I spawned and immediately heard a bite sound and lost a small chunk of health. In an empty room! That made that particular play-through basically impossible. Also, I kept noticing I'd only get three reloads before the game crashed back to the launcher.

6 attempts, 6 deaths, 2 crashes to desktop, not completed. Shame, I really wanted to like this one.

AE

AE
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2019 23:40 Edited at: 13th May 2019 23:43
Quote: "It was the single most frustrating FPSC game I've ever played. "

Ahahahaha! That must be a world record somewhere. Sorry about that AE, I think Escape the Place may have suffered from a bit of developer bias and came out way harder than I intended.

Also, there seems to be a conflict with the sprint script and the hurtspeed script that needs to be resolved, leading to player movement being way too slow, except for lucky code coincidences when you can move normally.

Clearly, the axe distance and blocking mechanics need work. The dogman hitbox is a bit small, and the axe-brute definitely needs less speed and maybe less health what the heck was I thinking.

I am still looking into the spawn collision issues...probably just do a crappy fix.

The crashing from reload sporadically (less on some machines, on others, more) has to do with FPSC, BiM, and memory limits. I'm happy to report this has supposedly been fixed in the newest version and I hope for more stability in future releases.

Thanks for playing AE, you're feedback is definitely valuable to me so I appreciate you also taking the time to give me some honest criticisms

Cheers

EDIT: P.S. the version on itch.io (v0034) is the most updated and recent version.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:09:40
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:09:40