Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / EAI: KoE Spellcasting Development Kit Beta Release!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 12:52 Edited at: 22nd May 2009 12:55
Hello All,

I have decided to release the BETA version of my spellcasting kit for you all to experiment with and use in your games.

For those who don't already know, this is the base media for the spellcasting hands seen in the Knights of Errant WIP Video and also in Plystire's Decal Over-Ride Video.

The included archive includes:

Four spell template weapons listed as SPELLRAY1F, SPELLRAY2F, SPELLRAY3F and SPELLFLAK1F.

A modified flame decal (Modified from TGC stock and released with approval from Lee)

Two new muzzleflashes: One with an arcane-like symbol and another which is a generic lightflash.

Generic spellbook entities for the four spell "weapons" which can be placed in the editor.

The four spell weapons all use the same .x file but play different animations to have a different castings gestures. These casting gestures can be linked/combo'd together in different ways to get many different casting gestures. There are four animation sets included for start,automatic and end fire sequences. These can me mixed and matched to a certian degree and FPSC's motion blending will help the different anims flow together.

The included casting animation sets are:

relaxed spellcast anim set

palm-out spellcast anim set

palm-up spellcast anim set

palm-out, sweep-down quick cast

Dual Wield animations are also included for use with Ply's Mod 1.07+ or Project Blue: UM Edition.

The Gunspecs have been heavily commented and I hope it will make things easier to manage. You'll find a blocked in section in the middle of the gunspec (sorry, the weapon broke if moved the settings to the top) called "MY SPELL SET" which looks something like this:

Quote: ";*****MY SPELL SET*****
;Mix and match animations to sequence new spell gestures. Include automatic fire for sustained casting.
;Remember to adjust sound frames accordingly, if needed.
;COPY/PASTE SPELL ANIMATION FRAMES INTO THE TEMPLATE BELOW:

;FROM INDEX 1:
start fire = 260,267
;automatic fire = 210,232
end fire = 233,250

;FROM INDEX 2 (optional for asymmetric dual wield):
dual_start fire = 560,567
;dual_automatic fire =
dual_end fire = 111,139"

Below that you will find the two indexes to select animations from.

An example gunspec follows:

LICENSE:
By downloading and extracting the attached archive you are agreeing to the following:

-You will not redistribute the contents of the archive in part or in whole unless part of a game (personal or commercial) with the exception of modified gunspecs which you may distribte any way you like.

-The author (ERRANT AI) is not responsible for any loss or damage resulting from the use of files contained within the attached archive.

NOTES:

-Users are encouraged to share their experimentation results, tips, sounds, muzzleflashes or decals with the rest of the community in this thread!

-This spell development kit is intended for intermediate and advanced FPSC users.

-The exact spells shown in the demo videos are NOT included in this kit but may be replicated.

-ENJOY AND HAVE FUN!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 13:37 Edited at: 22nd May 2009 13:40
!!!

Awesome! I'll have loads of fun with this. Maybe I now have the inspiration to make a flamethrower...

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 13:52
Thanks you so much... I have been wanting to play with these ever since I saw them in decal over-ride video.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG Amazing mate, very good,, love to play with this , cool

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool. Really glad some members will have fun with this. I realise the documentation (or lack thereof) pretty much sucks so don't be shy about asking questions if you run unto problems. Either myself or someone else should be able to help out. If we're lucky, Ply will see this and share some of the spells he made (he made quite a few IIRC) and if we're really lucky he might whip up some example tying this in with his new force-pull feature.

Also, just want to add that the hands are compatible with the normal MP9/10 hand textures. So, if you want to use these with a modern game, you can substitute the armor texture with one which is small size (16x16) and 100% alpha to hide the armor mesh.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 14:46
BRAINWAVE!!!

Use this in conjunction with weapon scripting to make pyschokinesis for a modern day game! Instant mutant.

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 16:16
Awesome! Can we re-animate these? This is sick EAI; you're truly are a beast of a modeler.

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 17:23
Aah, at last. The awesome spellcasting! And it's free!

Anywhos, sent you an email Jake.

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 18:03
Nicely done look forward to using these.

Sandante
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 18:16
Thank you Errant AI , this is realy great!!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 19:03
This will be handy for anyone who is thinking about making an RPG with FPSC.
Once again you have manged to outdo yourself.Thanks again.

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 19:46
...monster kudos, Errant AI!

This is tremendously generous of you, and greatly appreciated...

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 03:20 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 03:21
Very generous indeed
I can most certainly use this, thank you so much, look forward to playing around with it and will be creating some decals for sure.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 03:33
This is sweet Jake! Thank you so much buddy.

In the Universe, nothing ever stays the same.
meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 03:54
I also sent you an email, but lets not talk about the contents here

Lookin good so far, thanks for the freebee!

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 04:14
Omg !

HEy Mods, I dont see te trumpet and flag next to Errant Ai's avatar?

~ Benny Boy 2321 ~ Raw Sandvich ~
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 04:30
omg.

How am i missing all this.

Damn fine work Errant, loved the video, would like to give the shield thing a try, gonna look a bit more into this.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 04:33 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 04:33
As I extracted the archive, I didn`t believe what I saw.

Such an awesome Release @Errant AI!

I`ll surely have some fun with these tomorrow.

Quote: "HEy Mods, I dont see te trumpet and flag next to Errant Ai's avatar?"

Valued Member?

I agree to Titanium, even tough I do not exactly know what it is (someone explain?)

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 04:42
Errant said this once, it's because he's basically a freelancer to TGC, not TGC exclusive, so to speak.

Although I certainly agree with you lot.

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 05:22
Without question! He deserves it.

In the Universe, nothing ever stays the same.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Damn fine work Errant, loved the video, would like to give the shield thing a try, gonna look a bit more into this. "

Jon, drop me an email or flag me down on BDG. I'll be glad to fill you in but be warned that once you start adding mod features you can never go back because vanilla FPSC will never be good enough once you've had a taste of what's possible!

Quote: "Errant said this once, it's because he's basically a freelancer to TGC, not TGC exclusive, so to speak."

I believe the term was mercenary

This is being released free because I don't have the time to make cool decals or work out small bugs like the pitter-patter bullet impact sound and it requires a mod to work truly well which makes it awkward to try and sell through GCS. Also, the sales of my fantasy stuff have been quite poor so I am not ashamed to admit I am trying to boost sales of those a little by releasing this for free. IMO, valued member status should be reserved for guys like CP who do so much simply out of the kindness of their heart and without ulterior motive.

Anyhow, I hope you guys will share videos if you make some cool spells. I'm really looking foreward to seeing/hearing about what you guys will come up with.
Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 07:06 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 07:11
At first the Led Minipack... and now this, many thanks for these, much appreciated.

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 10:22
Errant AI

Cheers for this, I will definitely take a look into this and see what I can come up with (if I can get my head round it first).
It's a great thing to experiment with.

Much obliged
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 10:30 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 10:52
Thanks to Thraxas for pointing this thread out to me. I don't drop by the Media board too often.

Glad to see you released the hands, Errant! I certainly had tons of fun making spells with these babies.

Quote: "If we're lucky, Ply will see this and share some of the spells he made (he made quite a few IIRC) and if we're really lucky he might whip up some example tying this in with his new force-pull feature."

You sure know how to get info outta me lol

I'd like to share the decals I used but... those are from other places and I'm not sure of their license, tbh. So the best thing to do would be to not give them out.

For those of you using Ply's Mod or Project Blue, this section is for you:

To bind all of the spells' "ammo" together, add the below line into your spell gunspecs (that is plural, they all need this option in order to share the same ammo)
bindammotovar = PlrMana

To control the "Mana" of the player, use variable commands in FPI to add to or subtract from the "PlrMana" variable which this option has just created.

Of course, what use is different spells of varying power if they all use 1 Mana (ammo) to cast (shoot)? Not much, really...
So, to make different spells use up different amounts of "Mana", add the below option into your gunspec:
ammoconsume = X
X is the amount of ammo the weapon should consume with each shot. (High numbers burn ammo very quickly on an automatic weapon (automatic .... glove? haha)

This all swell and makes for some diversity between the spells, but they all look the same when they shoot a wall! For that you can have the spells use different decals when they hit walls/entities as well as when they hit characters by using the following options:
chardecal = <decal name>
nonchardecal = <decal name>[/quote]
Where "chardecal" determines what decal will be played when a character is hit with the spell, and "nonchardecal" determines what decal will be played when the spell hits anything else (walls, non-character entities)
This definitely makes your spells unique!

That's about all there is to it! With those 4 extra options, your spells will be on a level of their own.

Do enjoy!

And thanks again for making such a wonderful weapon, Errant! You deserve a lot for being as contributory to the community as you are!
I loved playing around with this weapon in particular. I am very much infatuated with magic, lmao!

[EDIT]
Code tags aren't registering

[EDIT2]
For those of you familiar with the early FF spells, I've made: Fire, Fira, Firaga, Blizzard, Blizzara, Blizzaga, Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga, Drain, Osmose, Protect, Shell, Reflect, and Ultima for these awesome hands. They all functioned the way they were supposed to and if you'd like to know how any of those were made, feel free to email me and ask. I'll gladly share gunspec options for achieving different effects.

The one and only,

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 12:28 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 12:33
Thanks for posting all of those tips, Ply

Designers should take note that the Ply's Mod settings for chardecal and nonchardecal are already included towards the top of the gunspec (of the raycast spells) under the Gun Settings header. Just wanted to point that out so nobody accidentally defines them twice.

In that same section you'll also see some other key settings you will want to adjust such as:

MUZZLECOLORR = 255
MUZZLECOLORG = 129
MUZZLECOLORB = 17
(control the color of the dynamic light- you could make a magic spell which functions nearly identical to my LED lights)

smokedecal = spellfire1
(this is the main 'effect' decal. In my video you see a spell which looks sort of like a flamethrower. For that one, I used a roundish flame decal for the "smoke")

smokespeed = 80
(This controls how fast the smoke decal flips through the animation frames. Unfortunately the decal will always rise towards the top of the screen and there is no really good way around that)

chardecal = spellfire1
(As mentioned above by Ply, this is the decal the enemy will use instead of blood or sparks or whatever their FPE is set to use. This is used to make the characters look like they have caught on fire or frozen in ice, etc)

nonchardecal = spellfire1
(Same as chardecal but for non-character entities and segments)

muzzleflash = 96
(This number corresponds to a an image in gamecoremuzzleflash. It will display when shooting and randomly rotate but be aware that if firerate is set very high it will not display)

muzzlesize = 80
(This is the size of the muzzleflash)

firerate = 30
(How fast the weapon shoots)

damage = 5
(no idea what this one does)

damagetype = 1
(damage type can range 1-3. 1 is passive damage, 2 has some pushback with occasional knockdown, 3 knocks AI down every time)

iterate = 0
(increase this value to instance additional raycasts per shot creating a shotgun effect)

accuracy = 5
(The spread value for raycast accuracy. Please note that in stock FPSC this inaccuracy is a fixed value but in modded (Airmod/Ply's Mod) FPSC this value is conical.

range = 2000
(the distance the raycast "bullet" can travel)

reloadqty = 0
(ammo/clip/mag amount. Zero is unlimited)

brass = 4
(This dictates which brass model is spawned from the weapon. Brass 4 is an invisible brass which I use on most of my weapons and while it would probably be beyond stupid to have casings pouring out of the hand while spellcasting some users might want to have that if they're making a go-go-gadget machine-gun hand or something)
alimpo83
Years of Service
User Offline
EAI these spells are great.

I am testing them in X10 with no flaws(except some .dds texture is missing or something like that, will look into it later).

Will use them when I finish my X10 demo and start a full game. Will buy your weapons, for sure!

Alien and Wrecked Building Packs here: http://www.freewebs.com/alimpo83
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 13:20
Check your inbox please EAI.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 15:19 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 15:19
A fireball decal for those who might want it, drop into your gamecore, decals folder and change gunspecs.

Free to use in your FPSC games commercial/uncommercial

Attachments

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2009 20:36 Edited at: 23rd May 2009 20:40
Beautiful work, Rolfy! I know I shouldn't be supprised but that's just awesome

I remember when I was testing using your old dragon fireball for an impact decal and it worked quite well. Looking foreward to playing with this fireball, for sure.

(good lookin' HUDs too!)

@alimpo83: Great to hear! Let me know if your able to get that .dds issue resolved.

Quote: "email"

Quote: "email"

Quote: "inbox"

I'll be getting my inbox cleared tomorrow. Taking care of some media I promised someone, at the moment.
alimpo83
Years of Service
User Offline
EAI here it is one of your spells working in X10.

Solved the DDS issue, it seems you had saved one of the files with an invalid DDS header or so.

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2009 11:58
A small few of EAI's .dds files have been "corrupted" lately. I dont know if it's the way he saves them or what...

alimpo83
Years of Service
User Offline
For those who encounter the error and don't know how to correct it.
It's very easy to fix this problem,the *.DDS error when testing in Map Editor.

Simple steps:

- Test game,to see which texture gives the error, write it down on a paper or so;
- Open Gimp.
- the texture doesn't open in Gimp, you'll need to make whatever texture is missing(main texture, normal map...); if you don't know how, use tutorials to learn Gimp, there are a lot here on the forum!
- Save the texture as DDS with "Format : RGB8". Don't tick any of the other options.
- Done.

Hope this helps, I've tested this in FPSC X10, but it should be the same with X9.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 24th May 2009 18:37
Or open up with IrfanView with all plugins,save as .tga or any other format then open up in a tool of choice and save as .dds

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.ultimatefpsc.com/[href]
alimpo83
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2009 23:33 Edited at: 24th May 2009 23:34
EAI, I'm currently editing your awesome models, to better suit the effects I want. I mean textures and such, like putting the fingers with a fire texture, like in BioShock and so.

I hope it's not a problem! Here it is a first test. I think maybe I should make the effect stronger. What do you think?

Sandante
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 00:12 Edited at: 25th May 2009 00:14
Lightning spell. My first decal!!

Attachments

Sandante
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 00:14
Lightning decal.dds

Attachments

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 00:18
That looks awesome!, pity there isn't a shockwave or something that could go on the bottom...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 06:40 Edited at: 28th May 2009 06:46
Worth bumping, though I posted this in my WIP thread I thought it might be worthwhile showing it here too, a quick vid showing the spell kit using dual wield (Project Blue UM), purchased the gauntlets from the store (bought some other stuff too) just to snag the textures for the spell gauntlets so its all consistent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtvsMpexKzs
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Errant could you possibly post the gunspecs you used for the vid you posted in your wip thread, I have had it checked out and the decalmax # you mentioned is def set to 499 in this mod I am currently using, it would be helpful to see what settings you used
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2009 07:37 Edited at: 29th May 2009 07:38
Hi Rolfy,

I no longer have the exact gunspec used in that video but it was close to the same as spellray2 (or 3). Looking at the video you posted, I think the firerate value needs to be lowered so it shoots faster (try a setting of around 6) because the muzzle flash looks too intermittent and would indicate it is shooting slowly. One other thing you can do is increase the gunspec smokespeed setting to around 100 or so. This causes the decals to play very fast and "die" quickly so that a new one can be spawned sooner.

Please note that the Ply's Mod decalmax setting is only for decals in the environment (placed in editor or when "bullets" ping things and has no effect on the max number of smoke decals which I believe is a seperate array in code.

edit:

@ alimpo83 - that's a subtle change but adds a very nice effect!
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
gogo double post BUMP!

Video of a random failed experiment using Rolfy's decal. I failed on the aspect ratio too LOL

Destroys FPS and is a bit buggy but might have potential for a spell or enemy down the road. Kudos to anyone who can correctly identify what they are seeing!
Sandante
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 01:32
And here is mine. not great but it looks better in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2sEMLDbJfI
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 01:06
having a small problom it loads fine and everything but when i goto fire i get runtime error 3001 - sound number illegal at line 13095

===================
InnerCityWar http://Paradoxial.net (Not open yet)
ScreenShots Soon to come
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 01:47
OMG....Looks like I'll have to try a Fantasy RPG after all

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
unixfr3ak - which version FPSC are you using? And which weapon? Anyone else have same problem?

SanXL- cool vid!
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 05:51
using x9 m8 and was all when i goto fire gives me a sound error

===================
ScreenShots Soon to come
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Which version of x9? Any mods? And which weapon/spell?
They all work fine for me so it's not easy for me to guess the problem.

If you go in gunspec and look for something like:

;HUD sound frames list
soundframes = 8
sframe0 = 5,4
sframe1 = 65,2
sframe2 = 110,2
sframe3 = 204,2
sframe4 = 262,2

This is actually a typo and should read soundframes = 5. But that shouldn't cause a crash unless your running a mod without the soundarray fix.
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 08:36 Edited at: 9th Jun 2009 08:39
just using standard x9 no mods tried with all spells when i opened up spellflak1f / gunspec i see

would removing half of them help and drop the sound frames down?.. will test anyways and report it

===================
ScreenShots Soon to come
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 08:39 Edited at: 9th Jun 2009 08:45
Try setting soundframes to 5. if it still breaks, set it to 1. If it works, increase it up to where it breaks again.

Make sure the sounds called in gnuspec are present in the weapon's gamecore directory. The key one being fire.wav.

This is a raycast spell and not a flak spell, right?

edit: sorry I was looking at the wrong gunspec- not the one attached here.

it looks like:

;HUD sound frames list
soundframes = 16
sframe0 = 5,4
sframe1 = 76,2
sframe2 = 148,2
sframe3 = 204,2
sframe4 = 262,2
sframe5 = 82,3
sframe6 = 151,3
sframe7 = 211,3
sframe8 = 305,4
sframe9 = 376,2
sframe10 = 448,2
sframe11 = 504,2
sframe12 = 562,2
sframe13 = 382,3
sframe14 = 451,3
sframe15 = 511,3

Now, these are the soundframes for all the different animation types. Technically you only need about a third or less of these in stock FPSC. Don't delete the actual soundframes, just change soundframes=xto a lower value than 16 (like I was talking about above). Then you will need to figure out which soundframes go with the animations you are using and specify only those which are needed.

Also please (and hopefully for the last time) let me know which version of FPSC you are using...v1.0, v1.07, v1.15, etc.
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2009 08:57
well i droped the sound frames down, and it gave me the same error soon as i went to the weapon hehe. after tomorrow i will probably be buying ply's mod etc

===================
ScreenShots Soon to come

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:06:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:06:19