Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2.0.10 on Linux

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 00:26 Edited at: 17th Dec 2014 04:18
I've uploaded a test version of AppGameKit 2.0.10 for Linux to the downloads area. You can also get it on Steam if you right click the App Game Kit 2 product, go to properties, and opt-in to the beta files - no password required.

Officially we only support Ubuntu 14.04 with OpenAL installed, you can install it with the following command "sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev". Anyone that wants to run an AppGameKit app on Linux will need that, I'll see if there is a better way of doing it after Christmas. Tests with Ubuntu 12.04 had incompatible glibc shared libraries so I didn't investigate further, it may be more trouble than it's worth, anyone have experience building portable binaries on Ubuntu?

If you want to build Tier 2 apps read the Tier2/platform/linux/ReadMe file for details on required packages, although I wrote it after setup so I might have missed something, let me know what you find.

This version is missing the following features
*Music
*Video
*Joysticks
*ShowChooseImageScreen
*ShowImageCaptureScreen
If anyone knows of a good and free way to do music, video, or joysticks on Ubuntu then let me know. The IDE should be fully functional, compile, run, broadcast, and Android export have been tested.

If you are running a 64 bit version of Ubuntu and you get the following error when trying to export an APK "Failed to run packaging tool ... (no such file or directory)" then you may be missing the 32bit libs that the Android SDK needs. You can install them with the following commands
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 01:07 Edited at: 17th Dec 2014 01:08
crazy news.....we ask for linux....we got it!

Nice work paul! i need to get me a pc running linux now...

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 01:49
Nice Paul, this is a great news!

paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 08:31
What about SDL2 ? It is free, does OpenGL as well, open source, live and doesn't suffer from license leak.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 09:28 Edited at: 17th Dec 2014 09:29
It's a great news for Linux User !

Quote: "If anyone knows of a good and free way to do music, video, or joysticks on Ubuntu then let me know"
I'm not sur, but It seems with SDL you can do music, video and joystick :

Audio :
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15/docs/html/guideaudioexamples.html

Video :
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15/docs/html/guidevideo.html

Joystick :
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15/docs/html/guideinput.html#GUIDEINPUTJOYSTICK

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 10:38
great! I will test it on weekend.

error #1:
"too many stars, too many stares. disembody."
WIP: MIND!! | free fonts for your AGKs
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 10:43
Use SDL2 ; SDL 1.2.15 is at best maintenance only.
DazzyF
Years of Service
User Offline
This might sound a daft question, but would this work on the raspberry pi?

http://www.yorkshirereflections.com
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
GREAT WORK!
don't plan to use it myself, but I'm sure others want this platform!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 18:10
Great work! I didn't expect you guys to have a linux version up and running this fast. I can't wait to try something out in the future!

Rozen Software
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 20:29
Excellent! Just switched with AppGameKit from Windows to Linux and my current project seems to be working fine on my Ubuntu! Thank you very much for this! I am waiting for the next release with missing features added.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 21:35
Wow great work.

Glad I don't have Linux installed anywhere (yet) otherwise I might never finish releasing my current game to various platforms and be able to move on to something new!

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 21:54
Cool, I'll try this soon. Good work Paul.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 04:15
I've been busy for a while and finally made the time to try to catch up here (and try to finish and publish my poor app).

Linux building/running is an awesome new feature. Of course, when I mentioned it to my husband, he asked me where I was going to put the computer and monitors. Since we moved to Alaska and into our new home, my work area became much more condensed. I have my Windows PC and mini-mac in the same area with 6 monitors on the wall (4 for Windows, 2 for Mini-Mac).

I suppose I could repurpose the two right hand monitors for Linux and have only two monitors per machine.

Food for thought. First I'll get my app done and published. Then I'll look into Linuxing it.

As always, I am way impressed by what the TGC team does. Awesome, dudes, truly awesome!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 05:44 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2014 06:34
late to the party but..WOW...downloading now!!
As a Linux SysAdmin, I am totally cool with this new awesome development.

Just tested on my Centos 7 workstation, worked a treat!, will test on my Ubuntu 14 install tonight

No more developing in a Windows VM.. yay

I second the use of SDL, it's been around for ages is well supported and has some big games under it's banner.

It's late, I'm tired, out of coffee and now I'm wet.
Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 05:56
if you get the error (centos x86_64)
"error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8"
do the following

from http://www.ijg.org/files/ download jpegsrc.v8d.tar.gz
untar it and compile as per normal
dont forget to run
ldconfig /usr/local/lib

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2014 16:14
Awesome news. Didn't think we would get Linux support so soon. I will look into getting RTA released on Linux once it is closer to release.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2014 18:35
Quote: "It's a great news for Linux User !"

Quote: "Awesome news. Didn't think we would get Linux support so soon."

Yeah, and Paul, don't forget to update the AppGameKit FAQ's, because they still read...

Do you support Linux?

A
Not at present but we plan to support it in future.

Quote: "Since we moved to Alaska and into our new home..."

lol
Ancient Lady, don't forget your Location under your avatar needs an update too.
Stay Warm

Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2014 21:35
I did a quick test of it on Ubuntu 14.10. it's looking good, but getRawKeyState() is responding wrong after a short time when I'm holding some key.

error #1:
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2014 00:18 Edited at: 25th Dec 2014 00:26
I havn't checked the AppGameKit boards in a while, mostly because I have moved over to linux, I guess I have to start being active here again , great news

Edit:

I tried to install AppGameKit on steam but the download finished immedietly and I got a "missing executable" error.

Edit2:
Nvm, forgot about the opting in for beta versions part

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2014 18:20
I've tested it on Linux Mint 17.1 (current last version) with additionally installed 'curl' (maybe it were necessary just install 'libcurl3', I don't know) and 'libopenal-dev' packets. all is going well as on Ubuntu 14.10 (with same getRawKeyState() issue).

error #1:
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2015 00:36
It's a best gift i can imagine for christmas and a new year. I simply love you guys.

AGK
Parry
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2015 22:48
Thanks for this great addition to AGK2.

Quote: "This version is missing the following features
*Music
*Video
*Joysticks
*ShowChooseImageScreen
*ShowImageCaptureScreen"

Do IAP commands work for Linux?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do IAP commands work for Linux? "

Which IAP Provider can you use on Linux? Just being curious as to my knowledge, this would be the first desktop provider for IAP.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 01:12
yeah im almost positive the only store known to support linux would be steam.....but this is a great thing indeed and no it would not use iap. i dont think any steam apps use iap.

www.sheldonscreations.com
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 10:40
Just saw a video of Warhammer Quest, that game seems to have IAP but the reviewer had the deluxe version with all the DLC and didn't buy ingame gold. I have also seen an indie game with IAP where clicking on the buttons didn't work. So, not sure if IAP works in Steam or not.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
From whta I know, no steam functionality has been added to AGK2 so far.
kruz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, where can I post a bug report? Bitwise not appears to be broken on Linux. I ended up using a XOR with a positive 15 to get the not working.

There's a few other things I've run into as well. I'd like to do what I can to help further the Linux Development.

Also, for the Tier 2. I am unable to find the interpreter.h that it is referring to when attempting to 'make.'

Thanks!
-Kruz
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2015 21:17
See the updates and feedback on the 2.0.11 thread regarding bitwise operations.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2015 04:18
For those interested,

installing the extra Libs required for this version in Centos7 64bit
you need to add the atrpms repos (I did not have them since the last rebuild)

wget http://dl.atrpms.net/el7-x86_64/atrpms/stable/atrpms-repo-7-7.el7.x86_64.rpm
sudo rpm -ivh atrpms-repo-7-7.el7.x86_64.rpm

This will install 3 atrpm repos in the usual spot under /etc/yum.repos.d/ (only the main one is active)

sudo yum install libavcodec54
sudo yum install libavformat54

also had to re-run ldconfig /usr/local/lib to pic up the libjpeg.so.8 as I got that error again.

But sound works now.

kruz
Years of Service
User Offline
@BatVink
Thank you. I didn't realize 2.0.11 had been released yet. Fixed notes say they corrected the bitise not operator.

@Harlequin
That's the same fix for fedora. You can just do:
sudo yum install -y libavcodec54 libavformat54

The libavcodec and libavformat are for 2.0.11, anyone still on 2.0.10 like I was won't run into this. For libjpeg I needed to download a separate RPM, the version I had was newer and didn't have the version info. Currently I am running into the same issue with libcurl. So I assume it just needs to be recompiled with the version info or grabbed from another repo that precompiled it in. I am not using libcurl, so I am not personally worried about the error. It could be cosmetic?

/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available

[root@calypso ~]# ls -l /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Feb 6 15:28 /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4 -> libcurl.so.4.3.0

[root@calypso ~]# strings /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4.3.0 | grep -i version
stringprep_check_version
curl_version
zlibVersion
curl_version_info
NSS_VersionCheck
SSL_VersionRangeSet
version
Conversion failed
SOCKS4 reply has wrong version, version should be 4.
Received invalid version in initial SOCKS5 response.
SOCKS5 reply has wrong version, version should be 5.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2015 15:57
Im having a bit of troubble getting T2 to run on my system (Arch 64 bit).

The first issue I had was missing libglfw3 which I fixed by installing libglfw and then creating a symbolic link from /usr/lib/libglfw.so to /usr/lib/libglfw3.so

The project compiles now but when I try to run it I get a warning saying

Is there a way to fix this or is this an issue with arch being rolling release and the ubuntu repos using libpng-1.2.50?

Humildadever
Years of Service
User Offline
I use Ubuntu 14.04 and i extract the files to desktop and run AGK32 and the IDE open good.

Before i install:
sudo apt-get install libopenal1 libavformat54 libavcodec54

When i compile for example code chooseimage, the compilation sucessufully but when i run nothing happen...

Running /home/humildadever/Desktop/AGK2/AGKLinux/Tier1/Compiler/AGKCompiler32 (in directory: /home/humildadever/Documents/Images/ChooseImage)

please i need your help!
Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 03:07
Hi Humildadever,

it compiled and ran on Centos7 (i.e. I get the AppGameKit logo up, but that's all), to be honest I am not sure if it works on Linux yet as it needs to look where your pictures are saved to.

If you try running from the command line, you should get some information of what is happening.

This is what I get pretty much for all AppGameKit programs I run (have not got around to fixing curl).

Humildadever
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 10:57 Edited at: 13th Feb 2015 12:28
Harlequin Thanks...

When i compile the information that show is:

Running /home/humildadever/Desktop/AGK2/AGKLinux/Tier1/Compiler/AGKCompiler32 (in directory: /home/humildadever/Documents/Images/ChooseImage)

But nothing happen, i dont see anithing in screen
Humildadever
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 11:02 Edited at: 13th Feb 2015 11:22
I need help step by step...

I try install all things but dont work...
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 17:00
Anyone got an idiots guide to installing AGK2 on Linux and will there be a forum thread for the Linux version now as there is for Windows, Android etc?

Cheers.

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 16:20
No guide with Linux?

Do not many people use the Linux version, I just thought I would have a look at it but can't find any instructions as the read me file with it is not very good and when you press the button on the download screen for AppGameKit where it says instructions there is nothing in it.

@TGC team - I know you are in the process of updating the website re the appearance however I think you need to give better info on the web for the things that count like instructions, etc. Maybe in the tutorials section???
Crickey even the TGC news area has info from 2013 and nothing since!

Just saying doesn't look good or professional and you can't just rely on the good forum members to bail you out all the time.

This is not a massive dig at you because I do like the product, however how to install etc and updated website is basics really.

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2015 21:39
spectrepaul, what kind of trouble do you have? as I said above I've got Tier 1 running on Ubuntu 14.04, 14.10 and Linux Mint 17.1 without any critical issues.

just install all necessary libraries, extract archive with AGK2 in some place inside your home directory, go to that location, click twice on link which is meeting to architecture of your system and enjoy the coding.

there is an issue with encoding of your sources — as I see my build of grep utility on Linux works with UTF-8 and so you could save all your stuff in it too to use 'Find in Files' ability of IDE since IDE uses grep for that searching. to set up it go to Preferences -> Files -> Encodings and tick Unicode (UTF-8) on both of two drop-down lists.
notice for Paul: good to set it by default in Linux version. sorry for bothering you by this encoding-related things again.

error #1:
Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 00:24
Hi spectrepaul,

do you need an install guide for Linux?
A few of us in this forum use it on Linux so we can help, I can type up some simple instructions for installing if you want.

It is worth noting that the Linux version is more Alpha than beta, as such quite a few commands do not work correctly.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 00:47
Hey Harlequin,
that would be very helpful if you could do that.

Cheers.

Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 02:51 Edited at: 27th Feb 2015 22:51
Hi spectrepaul,

these are pretty rough and ready instructions, but hopefully will get you started. Though Ubuntu is the offical platform, I use Centos7 with no issues also it seems to work on any other distro.

I am not sure on your Linux skills, so this is pretty basic. Installing the libraries could be a challenge if you are a not experienced with the Linux command-line.

Here's a basic guide for geting Tier1 working (non C++).

Download from TGC the file AppGameKit-V2.0.11-Linux.tar.gz
Typically your browser places this the Downloads folder of you home directory (eg: /home/MyUserName/Downloads)

Open a Terminal window (Alt-T on Ubuntu)

run
pwd
(to show where you are in the filesystem)
You should be in the root of your home account
you will have something like this "/home/MyUserName/"
run
tar -zvxf ~/Downloads/AppGameKit-V2.0.11-Linux.tar.gz
(will take about 30-60 seconds to complete)
run
ls -la you will have a new directory titled "AGKLinux"

AGK for Linux requires the following libraries as most Linux distros do not include them by default.
you need libjpeg.so.8 installed
for unbuntu I think you need to run in a terminal
sudo apt-get install libjpeg-turbo8

you also need these libraries for sound to work
libavcodec54, libavformat54
for Ubuntu I think you need to run in a terminal
sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-libav

SDL is not required at this point

To run the IDE you need to change into the application directory for AGK
run
cd AGKLinux

Now you need to know are you 32bit Linux or x64
run
uname -p
if you get "x86_64" as the result you are 64bit so
run
./AGK64
otherwise run ./AGK32

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 16:19
I think you missed one step in your guide Harlequin

After you have extracted the .tar file you will still be in the same directory as before. You need to navigate to it using cd to be able to run the programs. Alternativley you can run them from the current directory by replacing the ./ with AGKLinux/

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 16:23
Thanks for the advice guys, will have a bash later

Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2015 22:59
Thanks Zoq2,

I have added that step now and fixed some spelling errors in the original post.
Was not sure if it is better to the get the user to run from the parent directory or to cd into the sub directory (went with cd)

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 02:16
What versions of Linux have people used AppGameKit on? I'm about to install Kubuntu 15.04 on a separate partition in the next day or two and AppGameKit is one of the things I want to try out first!

"Think YodamanJer, Think Clonkex, GAIN POINTS!"
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2015 19:25
I'm using it just fine on Mint 'Rebecca.'

Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Mac OS X 10.10
Secondary: Windows 7
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jun 2015 08:30
For whatever reason I can't get any version of linux to install on my system, whether it's Kubuntu, Ubuntu, or Linux Mint, so I guess I will have to wait to see for another day.

I think it's just because of my hard drive, for some reason, even when creating a separate partition, any linux live disc I pop in sees the whole hard drive and wants to install over everything, so maybe if a grab a hard drive to use just for linux that would solve that issue!

Official Forum President from June 20th, 2015 - June 20th, 2016 (when my successor is elected, whomever that may be!).
robbiehunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2015 19:39
Perhaps my question would be better posted here!

When I attempt to run a compiled Tier 1 project on linux I get the following error: "Failed to open GLFW window"

Specifically I am using Ubuntu 14.04, I went ahead and installed all the dependencies for Tier 2 projects - still nothing. I installed GLFW, even! Still nothing.

I suppose I could have installed GLFW wrong, since that process was non-trivial.

BUT... Tier 1 projects shouldn't need it... what am I doing wrong?

@robbiehunt * robbiehunt.com * playhonorbound.com
Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2015 06:57
Hi Robbie,

yep, better location for Linux issues.

I don't use Ubuntu (I am on Centos7), so your mileage will very with these commands.

GL libs will be required for all display rendering. My Centos distro does not have the glfw libs installed as I used the GLUT libs instead, I have included a list of my GL libs below as an example.

Once you have compiled and installed GLFW you need to make sure it's in a lib path that is accessible for the executing environment.

run ldconfig -p | grep -i libgl and see if the libs are in the results.
If not then
run locate libglfw.so
then
run sudo ldconfig <path to where libglfw is>

cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 14:13:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 14:13:17