Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 2015 Forum Banner Thread

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2015 05:04 Edited at: 15th Nov 2015 03:12
It's about time for another banner thread! And what better time for something like this than after the somewhat recent switch to the new forums?

Considering that, I think it would be nice to theme the new banners around the new forum to some degree. I'll just copy over the rules from the previous competition with small modifications.

The banner you submit should be 459x60

The theme of your banner should center around the nature of these forums

It would be excellent if any of your submitted banners somehow refer to and make light of the new forum software

Copyrighted items shall be avoided in your banner

Your banner should contain original artwork

It is preferable that you add a black fade out gradient to the left side of your banner, so that it blends in with the forum page header

Funny banners are smiled upon!

These forums are utilized as an instrument of business by TGC, so remember to keep your banners professional in characteristic (as funny as they may be)

Forum threads are like trains. Bad things happen if they get derailed! Stay on topic por favor.

Last year, I posted here a list of all of the current banners for inspiration, but that was a null effort. Nonetheless, we all see the current banners; they are excellent food for inspiration.

How shall banners be selected from the submissions pool? The system we used last year, in which unfavorable banners were voted out, will probably do quite nicely. I am completely open to alternative methods of banner selection. Ultimately, mods/admins have final say in what banners will or will not be used on the site.

I'll make one or two pretty soon here and submit them. Feel free to double post if you come up with new banners following previous submissions of yours. Have at it and have fun!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2015 04:30 Edited at: 5th Nov 2015 04:36
Here's two I made:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 5th Nov 2015 19:52
Would help if you named your banners, makes people reposting them less of a thing...

I am concerned as I think the forum will change layout at some point, but unsure...

Will try a spin on this sometime soon...

I think by naming banners, reposting lists of favorited or disliked votes can be easier to track... in the case of duplicated names, a prefix_ of usernames can be used to differentiate... I.e. UserName_BannerName(.jpg) <-- Optional to include extension I suppose...
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2015 03:57 Edited at: 6th Nov 2015 03:59
No need to name posts. Like last year, there will be a separate thread for voting, (if this thread even gets enough submissions, that is) and I will handle all aspects of banner identification. This is what the previous voting thread looked like.

Here's another one:

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2015 12:03
I think the subscribe button needs to be somewhere more........... where the old one was lol as well as the top... I have not subscribed to a thread for ages now... I do however like that we can subscribe without posting now

Fair enough, I just figured copying some text into a list was faster than grabbing an image URL for some... for example when using a mobile device where it can be difficult to grab an image URL, so maybe place the URL below an image? I think this will help for more engagement

Suddenly got busy today... might try tonight... but so far the GC Board appears to be vacant of all lifeforms
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 15:53 Edited at: 18th Nov 2015 15:13

Edit: PNG!!!!!!
320x224

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 9th Nov 2015 17:47
Nice banners so far, guys! Thought i'd make a few banners myself, so here's one to start of.

Cheers!
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2015 04:51 Edited at: 12th Nov 2015 04:51
Nice submissions indeed. Let's keep up the submissions guys!

Here's another one:

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2015 17:01
Quote: "Let's keep up the submissions guys!"

Agreed! We need more banners!
So, here's one more:

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2015 21:01
While i had a bit of inspiration, i made these two new banners.

Would be nice to have more entries, though.

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2015 06:03 Edited at: 18th Nov 2015 09:35
Replaced all with PNGs

Really too drained for ideas lately...
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2015 08:30
Great banners The Slayer and MrValentine!

Quote: "Would be nice to have more entries, though."
Well agreed! I'll let this thread go as long as it keeps getting at least a little activity. And I will most definitely be prodding it along the way. Most of the participants in last year's banner thread are no longer active here, which really is a shame.

Some constructive crit here MV, I think your banners suffer from some compression artifacts, notably the gradient on your third submission. But again, great submissions!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2015 11:06 Edited at: 14th Nov 2015 11:10
Just realised the export quality was slightly lower than 100%... Re-uploaded...

But honestly, jpg/jpeg, is a compressed format so quality on export is... Questionable :p

Why are we not using PNG on here yet

EDIT

You can see a side by side comparison in the banner post above... I will be amending all my submissions in that post but will post to say I have added a submission...

Yes, PNG is 4-5x larger but come on this is not the 28.8k era.......
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2015 18:35
I do agree on the jpg thing, and was wondering the same thing myself yesterday... I just copied the rules over from last year's competition, which itself copied the rules from the competition two years before that. How about this, feel free to submit in .png from now on (that's my preferred format anyway) and if the admins still want .jpg files I can convert them.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2015 21:20
Quote: "Great banners The Slayer and MrValentine!"

Thank you!

Quote: "Most of the participants in last year's banner thread are no longer active here, which really is a shame."

Didn't know that. But, i did notice that the Geek forum has less threads/posts than it used to have.

Quote: "But honestly, jpg/jpeg, is a compressed format so quality on export is... Questionable :p"

You should be able to set the compression quality on export. My entries are all .png, though.

Finished another today:

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2015 02:48
And here's one more!

I have a couple more ideas for other ones, and will upload them when finished.

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2015 03:09 Edited at: 15th Nov 2015 03:14
Quote: "Didn't know that."
I'd take what I said with a grain of salt, mainly since that's only based on my quick judgement and the lack of me looking to see who actually was a participant in that thread. But still indeed, it does seem that many of who were around here frequently a year ago no longer are.

Of course, it's inevitable that frequent users will eventually stop using the forum, but it seems there's nothing to drive new posters here. I do wish there was something I could somehow do to drive some new folks here.

And great new bannerd banner! I have very much enjoyed your participation here, Slayer. If nothing else, it will be you, myself, Randomness, and Mr. Valentine sponsoring the new banners this year. No problem with that eh! I should make another new one here too.

EDIT
Another one! Excellent!

EDIT 2
I see your revised submissions MV, they look good! PNG images actually do seem to look a world better. I have removed the provision in the rules requiring submissions to be JPGs.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2015 03:13
Updated my post, no addition yet, Just noticed a severe bug on the forum, will go report it...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2015 05:52
Added 11 new entries, albeit on a singular design... ideas to make more are welcome
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2015 06:00
Awesome! I love them all. It would be neat to have all of them in circulation, and that would create a sense of dynamicity in the banners, if that makes sense...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2015 07:08 Edited at: 15th Nov 2015 07:10
thanks!

EDIT

We have nearly 30 now
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2015 04:08 Edited at: 16th Nov 2015 04:09
Quote: "Added 11 new entries, albeit on a singular design..."

Whoaaah, mate...can't keep up with you! Slow down, eh?
Btw, those last ones are better than your previous creations. Nice job!

Quote: "And great new bannerd banner! I have very much enjoyed your participation here, Slayer. If nothing else, it will be you, myself, Randomness, and Mr. Valentine sponsoring the new banners this year. No problem with that eh! I should make another new one here too."

Thanks, lol! Yeps, i've participated the annual banner contests since i became a member, and i still love to be a part of it. I guess it's just the four of us this year to keep them banners coming, eh?

Had a go at three more entries:

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2015 09:28 Edited at: 16th Nov 2015 09:40
Banner 18 and 18 Animated added...

Mind you, anybody else feel 459 should be 460...?

I added an animated version just to emphasise the idea and also because it looked funny haha

EDIT

Thinking about it... maybe it might be problematic to use that one as the copyright might be an issue, I dunno...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2015 09:36
Banner 19 added...
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 23:45
Here are a few more entries!

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2015 04:10
Awesome, they're all lovely! I have been meaning to make more, but I have been forgetting busy...
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2015 14:45
Quote: "Awesome, they're all lovely! I have been meaning to make more, but I have been forgetting busy... "

Thanks, mate! Yeps, we got a collection of great banners! Nice work to all participants, even though there weren't many contributors. Btw, i was wondering when you'd make a couple of new ones, but it seems you've been forgetting busy !
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2015 19:43
OK so Umm, Yeah, I suppose I am done here as with the recent revelations, I got my small dream job [Still waiting for the call to come in and start but it appears to be in the bag]... got a new house... and will not be so free in the coming weeks... I doubt I will have time for making anything more... and also I will be without the internet for a couple of weeks...

Hope I don't miss anything in the coming weeks... will try to stick around while on mobile but dislike using mobile for much... might use up my tethering for the time being

The Slayer, I like that coffee one

I account for 50% of entries lol come on guys! make some cookie banners!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 02:34
Alright I am getting on it now! I actually was busy this last day or so... Gotta reply to some posts first, then time to open up GIMP.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 05:11
Quote: "OK so Umm, Yeah, I suppose I am done here as with the recent revelations, I got my small dream job [Still waiting for the call to come in and start but it appears to be in the bag]... got a new house... and will not be so free in the coming weeks..."
Quote: "I account for 50% of entries lol come on guys! make some cookie banners!"

You did quite a few banners, mate...well done...you need some time off.
We will miss you during your time off, but...we have your banners to look at and think of you, so you're not really gone, eh?

Quote: "The Slayer, I like that coffee one "

Glad you like it! And, as you said...we need some cookies...and banners. LOL

Quote: "Alright I am getting on it now! I actually was busy this last day or so... Gotta reply to some posts first, then time to open up GIMP."

Finally! We were wondering where you were. (darn, except for the 'you' -word, that's a sentence with a lot of w's in it!

Will see if i can make a few more myself.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 06:18
Alright I have one made, not sure if I like it or not... Tomorrow I will make it better and finally post!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 04:47 Edited at: 25th Nov 2015 04:48
Boom! Not been too creative lately; it's the best random thing I could think up!

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 14:28
Not bad! Not bad at all!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 19:16
Here's one more!

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 19:30
Excellent! I wish I had posted more in this competition, but my brain just isn't being creative enough. I guess I'm just the guy that facilitated the production of the banners.

Quote: "Not bad! Not bad at all!"
Thanks! I still don't think it's very good myself, haha...

And another neat banner from you!

So what do we all thinking of wrapping this up? We could use some really basic voting system to, more likely than not, simply just weed out the submitted banners that we don't want. Last year's banner competition worked in a similar manner.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 05:37
Quote: "Thanks! I still don't think it's very good myself, haha...

And another neat banner from you!"

Don't be so negative about your work!
And thanks!

Quote: "So what do we all thinking of wrapping this up?"

Yeah, i don't think we'll get more entries from other guys, so it might be time to wrap it all up, eh?
I have an idea in mind for another banner, but if you wanna end the banner comp, i'm fine with that.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 05:56
Excellent! And hey, if you do have any more banners, don't hesitate to create them! This forum could use all the new banners it can get.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2015 18:19
Ok, finally i'm back again with a couple of new banners!

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2015 23:42
Sweet submissions! I'll have to get on the voting system pretty soon here. I presume the majority of the submitted banners will go on to become real banners.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2015 00:24
Quote: "I'll have to get on the voting system pretty soon here."

Good idea!

Quote: "I presume the majority of the submitted banners will go on to become real banners."

Oh, yeah!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2015 01:36
I'll create a new thread to get it more notice.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 17:10:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 17:10:45