Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Active Movie causes conflicts with PLAY ANIMATION TO IMAGE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 17:14
Hey

Firstly, yes its been aaaaaaaaages since I have been here. Many apologies. I had to move house unexpectantly and then when I did had no phone line and argh its been a nightmare Also now I am very busy with work AND my computers just blown up lol

Also, big apologies for missing the convention, it all happenned at exactly the wrong time (

OK - so, I was programming a DBPro program (using various plugins, notably BLUE Gui/Menus & a few of Toady's memory ones) on a 1800AMD Gforce4MX WinXPHome DirectX9b and Media Player 8 (not 9) PC and all was going great. Then for various reasons I had to format my hard drive. After doing this I discovered I had lost my WinXP Product Key, so installed my old 98SE instead.

Having loaded 98SE on it I downloaded Directx 9.b and upgraded Media player to version 9, both the 98SE not XP versions obviously.

Then I installed and patched DBPro and tried to carry on with my program. It crashed. I have singled this down to a single small part of the code, and if I remove it the code runs perfectly.

What I was doing was loading a gif animation, then using "play animation to image" and making a 50% alpha sprite with it. This worked fine on my old XP MP8 setup, but not on my new 98SE MP9 one.

I noticed that just before the crash, the system loads a small window labelled "Active Movie" with the first frame of the animation in.

Is this likely to be an incompatibility with the command? Also, is it a problem with Windows 98, or with the new Media player which I hadn't been using previously?

If I remember correctly, Active Movie was a separate application for running AVI and MPG files smoothly in Windows 95, and I haven't heard of it since. Perhaps its code is used in the background of the 98 versions of Media Player? Or maybe its a problem with the DBPro commands "load animation" or "play animation to image" causing 98 to think you want Window to load the animation? Either way its darned annoying.

Any suggestions as to why this may be happenning or how to fix it would be much appreciated. Yes I COULD use other methods of displaying the animation, but I really wanted to use this one for various reasons

Thank you

P.S. F.L.U.F.F.Y.K.I.W.I.S. (anyone remember the alternative?

Quikly Studio Pro. Soon. Honest.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 22:34
welcome back!
my only real suggestion is could it be a driver problem? if you haven't updated your drivers after formatting that could be causing problems, or maybe if you have updated the drivers aren't liking win 98se as much as they did win xp?

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 19:17
Thanks!

No I don't think its a driver problem I'm using the latest drivers, I downloaded them all when I reinstalled everything, and htey are specific 98se drivers, not the same ones I was using in XP

Being that its the ActiveMovie thing thats causing it to crash, I am worried that its a dbp bug - in that is an animated gif I'm loading, which wouldn't usually be dealt with by any movie player at all, Win98 opens them in IE as default Maybe a slight incompatibility with 98SE and the play animation commands?

I hope its not a general MP9 problem, cause I wasn't using it before in XP though most ppl do, which would mean I have no alternative than to do it another way

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 19:36
Nice to see you again, especially as you didn't turn up at the convention.

As for your problem - its sounds like a problem with the Active Movies control. Might be worth trying to install it. There also seems to be an Active Movie test site, which I'm looking into at the moment.

Did you bring the cloak of invisibility ? Oh damn, I left it in the bag of forgetfulness...
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 21:18
Hi TCA Yes I was very sorry to miss the convention, like I said I had very little notice in moving house and then when I did was left without a phoneline to contact people with. Sorry again, was really looking forward to going and will certainly do my very best to attend any more

"Might be worth trying to install it" - install what? I have actually no idea what active movie is other thanv what I wrote, is it a media player or active x control element?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 21:37 Edited at: 12th Dec 2003 21:38
Its a Microsoft executable, which I think installs a codec and/or an ActiveX control...

Did you bring the cloak of invisibility ? Oh damn, I left it in the bag of forgetfulness...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2003 22:06
Any chance of being able to send the gif file ?

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 14:36
Ahhh I see

Sorry I took so long replying, PC issues. Although I now have a multiboot with 98SE and XPHome, so I can test in both

I shall spend some time this afternoon testing the code with various gifs in 98 AND xp to try and establish the problem. I will email you the gif, code and results later Nick, thanks for the interest

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2003 17:12
Thats okay

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:54:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:54:38