Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP AGKv2 Tier2] 3D Physics Raycast Vehicle Controller

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 23:21
I am finishing up development on a 3D physics ray cast vehicle controller in tier 2.
This is a video of my current development it uses a compound collision object made up of convex hull
to represent the chassis of the object for more accurate collision. It also uses an offset center of mass for
the chassis object that makes it more stable.

The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 07:48
Looks good! Do you know when we can expect to see the commands required to do this exposed in Tier 1?
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 11:04
Quote: "Looks good! Do you know when we can expect to see the commands required to do this exposed in Tier 1?"

Right now this has only been developed for my own use in Tier 2.
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 13:55
This video shows a vehicle physics app demo that you can download and try.

http://www.stabinthedarksoftware.net/AGK_Forums/VehicleDemo.zip

Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2016 16:20 Edited at: 4th Mar 2016 16:34
Anyone tried the demo?

If you are interested in seeing this added to AppGameKit Tier 1 post your thoughts here.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2016 16:43
I'd definitely like to see more bullet physics exposed so we can make our own controllers.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2016 00:50
Quote: "I'd definitely like to see more bullet physics exposed so we can make our own controllers."

I think there is not enough interest by AppGameKit users to convince TGC to add more physics to AGK.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 22:32 Edited at: 13th Mar 2016 22:33
I would like to see more physics command too !
But I even don't know how we are supposed to make a smooth rolling marble ?
I don't Plan to make a racing game but im sure there are some people who want.
The existing commands are less worth it, if we don't have the full capability of the physics Engine.
And why the hell tgc don't want more commands... it even Sounds better on paper.. wtf
Enought said.

Using AGKv2 Tier1
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2016 14:42
I guess in the end it all comes down to funding.
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2016 19:42
Has anyone tried the demo?
I am thinking about making a tier 2 template project with these advanced physics features.
I would license the code to tier 2 users for their projects. If you are interested please post here.
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2016 19:16
Anyone try the demo?
Humildadever
Years of Service
User Offline
I like very much!

micky4fun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 06:53
Hi All

Yes Stab in the Dark Software I have tried the demo on my low spec pc
it was very impressive , ran smooth as silk , I was quite surprised how good it was
great 3d demo , but well beyond me I am afraid ,

Mick
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 12:41
micky4fun

Thanks for testing. I was starting to think these forums had died.
I am disappointed that the traffic on the forums has dwindled and I fear AppGameKit will not exist much longer.
micky4fun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 21:17
Hi
Quote: "I am disappointed that the traffic on the forums has dwindled and I fear AppGameKit will not exist much longer"

Now that would be a shame as I think AppGameKit is a fantastic product , i know i am a pretty low level user , but think its possible to make some good
programs/games/apps with this product and would very much appeal to anyone starting out on that ladder.

mick
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2016 10:13
Quote: "Anyone try the demo?"

Stab, sorry that I didn't read your message.

Yes indeed, I tried your demo long ago and of course it is great.

In fact, the features that you show are exactly what I need for my next project. I got discouraged when you stated that it can not be achieved with AppGameKit natively.

I would like to use AppGameKit for that 'Next Project' and make it gorgeous, but since I have not started development yet, I could choose another engine if AppGameKit lacks the needed functionality.

Quote: "
I am thinking about making a tier 2 template project with these advanced physics features.
I would license the code to tier 2 users for their projects. If you are interested please post here."

Yes, I would be interested in that license. As said, I need it for my game concept. Ooops I said it, it is going to be a game

I think that you should take into account that you would get much more attention if you get it exposed to AppGameKit Tier1.

Also, please don't get discouraged. I usually visit AppGameKit main forum and AppGameKit newcomers forum, but I don't visit that much the showcase forum.

I suggest that you announce any news/updates at the main forum, so people come in to see what you are doing.

Keep on the good work Stab. You are doing great. Just stay positive.
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2016 14:57 Edited at: 9th Jun 2016 15:01
Quote: "I think that you should take into account that you would get much more attention if you get it exposed to AppGameKit Tier1."

Getting it exposed to Tier1 is entirely up to TGC, I have no control over that.
Nowadays 3D is useless without good physics to Handel the action instead of animation.
I think it is a big mistake that TGC do not want to add more physics in AppGameKit or Game Guru it will be their down fall.
The irony here is that TGC contacted me and asked if I would work with them to add physics to AGK.
I agreed and added what is now in AGK. Then they asked me if I would continue to add more physics to AppGameKit and I agreed.
Next they asked if I would work on Game Guru as well and improve the physics and I also agreed.
Then they did not get back to me and I had to continually ask what the deal was.
The response was we will figure it out in the next meeting. Meanwhile I continued to work on physics and waited.
Then I showed them what I had added and the response was;
1. The implementation does not look realistic enough. (obviously this was an insult)
2. Users could potentially do similar systems using joints and objects together with the current command set (NOT)
I then tried to explain that this was incorrect. Then they stated they had no intention of adding more to AppGameKit or Game Guru.

Back when Lee was still struggling with FPSC Reloaded and could not get a barrel to role down a hill or even get the time step correct,
I emailed him with free information and code to correct the problem. They then asked if they could get my ragdoll physics and I agreed
(for way too low a price) for Reloaded. This happened right before they went to the GDC to show off Reloaded. Imagine how it would have looked
at the GDC with out physics. They would not have even got Greenlite on steam with out ragdoll or working physics.

I think I will be walking away from AppGameKit as the community has dwindled.
If I were you I would look at other software that has what you need.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 10:01
Uh
Sorry Stab, I think that's not the right attitude.
I'm still busy with my current project (made with an ancient product named DGDK), so I will rather stay here at the TGC community and see what happens. Chances are still there.

In Rick Vanner's words:

Quote: "...we are still developing and investing in AppGameKit. It's a very important part of our business which powers apps we have made and more we're developing. With mobile becoming more and more prevalent and important it's key that we keep AppGameKit up to date and relevant.

StabInTheDark Software helped us greatly when we were working on the features promised in the original Kickstarter. Recently they have developed more techniques and offered them to us. We could not reach agreement with them based on a number of factors. That's not to say we will not expand the 3D Physics in the future, it was mainly a decision based on our own plans we have for AppGameKit. - Rick Vanner, Development Director TGC Team
"

Fourteen years here and, despite isolated mistakes that everyone does, in the long run TGC has always done the right thing.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2016 04:37
This is fantastic stab man! tried the demo and it is sweet! would love to see a tier 1 version
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2016 12:45
Quote: "This is fantastic stab man! tried the demo and it is sweet! would love to see a tier 1 version"

You will have to ask Rick and Paul to code vehicle physics for Tier 1 as they rejected my work.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 22:12
Quote: "You will have to ask Rick and Paul to code vehicle physics for Tier 1 as they rejected my work."

Or just expose a very small set of extra Bullet commands that would allow us to code our own vehicle controllers (which is FAR more like what I'd like to see).
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2016 13:27
Quote: "
Or just expose a very small set of extra Bullet commands that would allow us to code our own vehicle controllers (which is FAR more like what I'd like to see). "

It does not work like that.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 08:45
very great demo and good work !

A thing which could be great is to have the possibility to use dll with AppGameKit (or .so or other extension for mac/linux), so your work could probably be integrated as a dll, Stab
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2016 00:46
Quote: "A thing which could be great is to have the possibility to use dll with AppGameKit (or .so or other extension for mac/linux), so your work could probably be integrated as a dll, Stab "

Unfortunately it is not like DBPro you can not have DLLs.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2016 06:45
Quote: "Unfortunately it is not like DBPro you can not have DLLs. "
not for the moment, but maybe in a future version .
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2016 13:06
Quote: "not for the moment, but maybe in a future version "

I doubt that very much, and if it did it would be too little too late.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2016 22:23
Freaking awesome job.

I have given up on making the move to tier 2.

Don't take it personal about any rejection of work, because I heard the same thing about my trees when I was bill-boarding in FPSC.

It is sort of like a movie audition... just because you don't have the look they are looking for, doesn't mean you are ugly or anything, just that it was not the look they had envisioned.

It would be nice to fake an effect for tier 1with what it has, if this is never going to make it in officially.

I know it would not be the same thing, but this is really cool, and a driving game would be a great way to experiment with 3d in AGK.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 13:41
I love the vehicle demo. Great work. Cool videos. Hope to get it also for Tier1.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 15:27
I also would like to see springs [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIOkEOpjvUM[/video] Keep the great work.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried the demo. The spaceship was hard to control. And would rest in midair, instead of fall. But the car was very well done. Maybe, the spaceship was user error.
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2016 15:21
Thanks for trying the demo. The controls for the space ship were very basic just as proof of concept.
FYI this vehicle physics is not available in AGK. I developed it using Tier 2 C++.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I missed this thread originally but am very impressed with your demo and all of your 3D contributions. It is disheartening that more bullet physic commands like this were not added to AGK. It seems a lot like other areas of AppGameKit, including the Box2D implementation which is still only a partial subset of the full Box2D command set (despite a request for more 5+ years ago already), sprite blend modes etc.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 25th May 2020 06:40
would love to see this continued epesh as some kind of agk plugin

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:18:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:18:18