Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Physically Based Shader Pack - Example content included.

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2016 19:47 Edited at: 29th Jun 2016 22:00
VERSION 3 RELEASED
General fixes and corrections
Disney renormalisation of visability funtion to prevent reflections from becoming too bright or 'hot'
New HDR cubemaps included to experiment with. Recommend CubeMapGen settings updated.

VERSION 2 RELEASED
New example media: Doom Segments and FPSC X10 Raknos character
Now features muzzleflash and Black Ice Mod moving light support.
Cubemaps provided are now correctly filtered. Recommend CubeMapGen settings updated.

[SHADERS DOWNLOAD] http://www.mediafire.com/download/d8cuz55sy82k5kk/Physically_Based_Shading_Shaders_V3.zip [DOWNLOAD]
[SHADERS AND MEDIA DOWNLOAD] http://www.mediafire.com/download/lzoruoo7j8704tl/Physically_Based_Shading_Shaders_and_Media_V3.zip[DOWNLOAD]

Credits:
Mark 'bond1' Blosser for the shader original code
TCG for Akio and Raknos characters along with the minigun weapon
id Software for chaingun sound effects

In recent years there has been a widespread adoption of a more regular and industry standard lighting and shading model. This has become known as physically based shading.
Recommended reading:
https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/PhysicallyBased/
http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2015-shading-course/
http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2014-shading-course/
http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2013-shading-course/
http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2012-shading-course/

Physically Based Shading is a technical pipeline for rendering the is based upon real life physical properties.
Albedo,
Fresnel,
Roughness,
and Metalicness

By using energy conserving and physically based shading models these properties are used to create more life like renderings in a more reliable and useful way.
It captures the dramatic dynamics of the real world more reliably than traditional methods of shading.

Unfortunately FPSC does not have the requirements for a full PBR pipeline.
It lacks any kind of cubemap rendering, which is essential for capturing the reflections and ambient light in a scene.
It also lacks HDR render outputs to make full use of the dynamics and effects of PBR. This improves the dynamics offered by cubemaps.

However despite these drawbacks I felt like I should at least produce some shaders and content to demonstrate these techniques.
So here is a set of PBR inspired shaders for characters, props and segments.
All shaders are now gamma correct. This is essential for any kind of digital rendering to look accurate.
Every shader has full support for up to 4 dynamic lights, static entities and segments included.
Every shader uses a GGX specular response, a widely adopted specular BRDF favoured for its smooth falloff.
Every shader has the option to enable Oren Nayar diffuse lighting, a more physically accurate diffuse lighting solution. However this is noticeably more expensive.
The _sss_full shaders have extra features in the specular texture. Red is roughness, Green is ambient occlusion, Blue is subsurface scattering (only works with static lights currently) and Alpha is metalicness.

General notes
Specular is in gloss form (white is shiny, black is matte). Most PBR uses roughness (white is matte, black is shiny), however I favoured gloss to make the transition to PBR more simple.

[BONUS]
1)I have included a water shader that is more realistic. It removes the water colour changing the reflections, which is not physically accurate at all.
Reflections and refraction are better balanced with a more accurate fresnel.
2)Tonemapping and Colour Grading post process shader included.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/217274

The shaders and the textured needed are as follows:

character_norm_spec_alpha.fx:
This shader should be the main work horse for your characters.
Normalmapped with GGX specular
//"texture_D.dds" diffuse texture
//"texture_N.dds" normal map texture, alpha is illumination (inverted, black = bright)
//"texture_S.dds" gloss map texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal)

character_norm_spec_cube_alpha_sss_full.fx
This is an entirely experimental shader. It uses cubemaps, which FPSC does not support outside of weapons, and the texturing might be confusing.
It does however work perfectly fine.
//"texture_N.dds" normal map texture, alpha is illumination (inverted, black = bright)
//"texture_S.dds" gloss map texture and material texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal), red is roughness, green is ambient occlusion and blue is sub surface scattering
//"texture_CUBE.dds" cubemap texture

character_norm_spec_illum_alpha.fx
This uses an _I texture for illumination instead of using the normal map's alpha
//"texture_N.dds" normal map texture
//"texture_S.dds" (enities) gloss map texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal)
//"texture_I.dds" (enities) illumination

character_norm_spec_shadow_2bone_alpha.fx
This is an optimised version of the other shadowed shader. It might produce deformation in models not rigged to only 2 bones.
//"texture_S.dds" (enities) gloss map texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal)

character_norm_spec_shadow_alpha.fx

This is for if you want planar shadows for your characters.

prop_norm_alpha.fx
This shader has no specular, only diffuse. Might be useful for optimisation

prop_norm_spec_alpha.fx
This should be your primary shader for dynamic entities and props.
//"texture_R.dds" (weapons) gloss map texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal)

prop_norm_spec_cube_alpha.fx
This should be your primary shader for weapons.
Weapons are the only thing in FPSC that seem to use cubemaps, however they only use the one in their folder.
I have included a general cubemap for use on weapons. Settings for CubemapGen are also included.
//"texture_R.dds" (weapons) gloss map texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal)

prop_norm_spec_cube_alpha_sss_full.fx
Another experiemental shader. However this one is for props, so can be used on weapons.
//"texture_S.dds" (enities) gloss map texture and material texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal), red is roughness, green is ambient occlusion and blue is sub surface scattering
//"texture_R.dds" (weapons) gloss map texture and material texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal), red is roughness, green is ambient occlusion and blue is sub surface scattering

prop_spec_alpha.fx
Another optimised shader. Illumination is now stored in the specular texture.
Illumination is set to zero by default, edit the shader to enable it.
//"texture_S.dds" (enities) gloss map texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal), red is roughness and blue is illumination (disabled by default
//"texture_R.dds" (weapons) gloss map texture, alpha is metalicness (black = metal), red is roughness and blue is illumination (disabled by default

segment_norm_spec.fx
This is just Bond1's segment shader, but it uses the afore mentioned techniques.
//"texture_I.dd" specular texture
//"texture_N.dds" normal map texture

static_norm_spec.fx
Also just Bond1's static shader updated.
Textuing for this one is confusing. I'm sure his original thread has a guide for it.
//"texture_N.dds" normal map texture, specular mask in alpha channel
//IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of an oddity with FPSC,also requires a DUPLICATE "texture_N.dds" texture renamed "texture_I.dds". All textures must be located in texturebank folder
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2016 20:03 Edited at: 7th Jun 2016 20:05
Comparison between the default character shader, skinning_norm_spec.fx, with character_norm_spec_cube_alpha_sss_full.fx
This Aiko uses all of the features of the shader and is included in the example entities.

Notice how the materials appear more real and defined. Reflections have more variety and dynamics.
The subsurface scattering makes the skin look more natural and the ambient occlusion give it more presence.

This is how entities will most likely look with character_norm_spec_alpha.fx or prop_norm_spec_alpha.fx

Because FPSC does not support cubemaps, I faked the ambient lighting by imaging how light would reflect.
The ambient term lights the entity only from above, meanwhile the light the entity receives lights the character from below and opposite the light to replicate the effect of light bouncing.

Here is what the specular and cubemap reflection looks like on its own.
The brightness was increased using a post processing shader.

Here is a demonstration of the wide range of materials that you can replicate using these shaders.
This swatch box is included with the examples

Now here's some example of the kind of effects that could be achieved with proper cubemap support.

Reflective metal. With varying roughness and clarity.

Characters fitting into their environments more properly.

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2016 22:44
Here's some of the example media.

These light bulbs use the normal map's alpha channel, which is used for self illumination unless stated for all dynamic entities.

Here's the swatch box in engine

Here's the weapon provided, a minigun made to resemble the doom chaingun (I'm still a doom fan)

Here's an object that uses all of the features available in the full dynamic shader.

Here's a comparison between subsurface scattering on and off

Close ups

I haven't really done any extensive optimisation or performance testing, so I'm not sure how good the performance is.

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 06:10 Edited at: 8th Jun 2016 15:12
Wow! The PBR really give diversification to the otherwise plastic-izing shaders. Especially, the full on Aiko really shines up with these shaders (pun intended). Really great work mate! Hope the creators of the Black Ice Mod somehow get the z-buffer up and running for the HDR effects that you have been working on. That would add a big amount of realism to FPSC. Thanks for making these!

Edit-

I tested the shaders on a few other objects and placed the ones provided by you here and there. The realism given to these is amazing. Hope this feedback helps.

I also have a few questions.

1. Will the other shadermaps work if I have the albedo map at 2048 by 1024?

2. How do I regulate which part of the texture will reflect the cubemap?

3. Like mentioned in the shader, can I use different colours altogether in the specular map (_S) to stimulate different materials?

4. And, as you mentioned dynamic lightning; can the shader made to be affected by dynamic lightning from guns and explosions?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 16:21 Edited at: 8th Jun 2016 16:28
Oh good, to see that they work for other people. I haven't actually had others test these before I released them, haha.

Quote: "1. Will the other shadermaps work if I have the albedo map at 2048 by 1024?"

Yes, any texture resolution will work just fine. You can mix the resolution of the textures, it'll be fine.

Quote: "2. How do I regulate which part of the texture will reflect the cubemap?"

You can't, reflections in real life do not really get darker, they just get scattered by microscopic details on the surface.
Roughness is the only control for reflections. It's a strange concept but its how it works in reality.
This is a pretty good explanation. https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory

Quote: "3. Like mentioned in the shader, can I use different colours altogether in the specular map (_S) to stimulate different materials?"

Yes, for the "full" shaders the specular map uses ever channel for an effect. However you can't get any new materials, the regular shader will give you just as much definition.
alpha is metalicness (black = metal), red is roughness, green is ambient occlusion and blue is sub surface scattering
ambient occlusion will make shaded areas darker, you can render the model's ambient occlusion with Xnormal and use that.
sub surface scattering will make it look like the light is scattering below the surface, or 'bleeding'. This can be used for skin, wax etc. 0.25 is a good value for skin.

Quote: "4. And, as you mentioned dynamic lightning; can the shader made to be affected by dynamic lightning from guns and explosions?"

I assume it can, but I don't know what the inputs and variables for those are. I could add them to the shader if I knew what they were.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 16:45 Edited at: 8th Jun 2016 17:25
If you look into this thread perhaps you could look into them. The shaders in the mod support it. But directly looking into shaders is really difficult for me as I am a novice but you may find something relevent here .
Rachael
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 07:34
Beautiful work. Thank you.
"I set fire to the rain..."
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 16:20
@uzi idiot - Wow this is amazing work and looks fantastic.

Are there are any usage restrictions on the shaders as I would definitely be interested to integrate this stuff with black ice mod.

Credits are always given for anything included from the community. Great work again and thanks for sharing.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 17:22
Nomad Soul, hi man I'm glad to see you're still around.

I've been checking out Black Ice Mod and I like it a lot and I'm glad to hear you're interested in using my shaders.
I would be happy for you to use them, I'm currently adding your mod's features to them right now.
The only concern I have is whether or not you might have to redo your content to make it work nicely.

I've been looking though the shaders used in your mod and I have a few questions about them:
Why do you use separate methods for dynamic lights, movable lights and muzzleflashes in the shaders?
What exactly do the lines
and
do?
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 18:15
Good to see you around again too.

Quote: "I would be happy for you to use them, I'm currently adding your mod's features to them right now.
The only concern I have is whether or not you might have to redo your content to make it work nicely."

That's fantastic and thanks for trying the mod. Many of us still believe FPSC is a useful and cool engine so black ice mod was born to keep the project going. If I need to redo any content for the shaders that should be fine.

Quote: "Why do you use separate methods for dynamic lights, movable lights and muzzleflashes in the shaders?"

No real reason. I just thought it would be an easier way to manage them as shaders are hard enough to figure out as it is!

For those 2 lines you mentioned, I had all this figured out at the time but should have written some notes LOL. If I remember correctly it ensures the lights do no interfere with each other and also clamps them to prevent artifacts after the light is rendered on the segment.

In terms of dynamic lights, I don't find these particularly reliable in FPSC when using more than 1 so even though the shader supports up to 4 I usually only place 1 in a given area otherwise they start disappearing on me and doing other strange things!
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 18:57 Edited at: 11th Jun 2016 19:36
Quote: "For those 2 lines you mentioned, I had all this figured out at the time but should have written some notes LOL. If I remember correctly it ensures the lights do no interfere with each other and also clamps them to prevent artifacts after the light is rendered on the segment."

That makes sense, but I'm currently using that line and having a bit of bother stopping the muzzleflash light from showing up after I've stopped firing.
https://imgur.com/a/J4K4W
What exactly does the .w channel of the position do?
[edit] fixed the problem, it needed to be gamma corrected too. which just makes me wonder even more what the hell that line must do.

Also, dynamic lights are pretty stable with these shaders. Unlike the stock shaders I send off each light to the CalcLighting function individually instead of only being able to do 2 at once.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 19:48 Edited at: 11th Jun 2016 19:48
Video looks stunning mate. I can see the dynamic lights are working good but still appear to be popping in and out when you use a number of them. Its like they get prioritised somehow when moving / looking around.

I think the .w is required for the lights in relation to the final lighting calculation. You might want to try result.w =1; in the final result.

Edit - That gun looks insanely good!
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 20:05
Cheers.

Another quick question? Why is the moving light so bright in the shader (it seems to be 500 times as bright according to the code) compared to the unshaded segments?
What's the reason behind this?

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 22:20 Edited at: 11th Jun 2016 22:23
Yeah so I went with a higher number on the shader for the moving light. I guess this was because we only support 1 moving light per level and wanted it to stand out for the demo.

You can set the properties for moving lights in their script using movelightrange=X. I also used 2 calculations for the moving light as I was getting artifacts using a single pass so those might be slightly more expensive.

Your shaders just look fantastic so if you can implement the spotflash and moving lights more efficiently please go ahead. I'm sure your dynamic lighting approach will be much better also.

Looking forward to implementing these in black ice mod.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 22:40
Okie dokie. I've reduced the brightness of the moving light to 100, this seems to match up with the brightness of segments without shaders.

I have the spotflash/muzzleflash implemented too, it doesn't have any specular because its bright enough it doesn't really need it.

All shaders now support:
Static lightmapped lighting
up to 4 dynamic lights at once
1 moving light
muzzleflashes

Here's how it looks so far.
Every light in this scene is dynamic.

Attachments

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 14:08
Hi uzi idiot, so nice to see you again
The videos look fantastic. Amazing work, Thank you!
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 20:57
WOW! you guys are crushing this. I wish the source code Lee released was usable because you guys are amazing.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2016 00:56
VERSION 2 RELEASED
New example media: Doom Segments and FPSC X10 Raknos character
Now features muzzleflash and Black Ice Mod moving light support.
Cubemaps provided are now correctly filtered. Recommend CubeMapGen settings updated.

[SHADERS DOWNLOAD] http://www.mediafire.com/download/dsc8zd3qodfndnr/Physically_Based_Shading_Shaders_V2.zip [DOWNLOAD]
[SHADERS AND MEDIA DOWNLOAD] http://www.mediafire.com/download/b5uzch1jp782396/Physically_Based_Shading_Shaders_and_Media_V2.zip[DOWNLOAD]

Credits:
Mark 'bond1' Blosser for the shader original code
TCG for Akio and Raknos characters along with the minigun weapon
id Software for chaingun sound effects
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2016 14:56 Edited at: 16th Jun 2016 14:57
You said that you have not included any specular in the spotflash? Although it is just a thought, it would be awesome for a horror game! And thanks for your hard work.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2016 16:55
@Mriganka: I assume that you could just bind a moving light to player or something. I'll add specular in the next update, the spotflash still needs fixing.

Also I discovered that you can load HDR cubemaps!
I'll include some examples and instructions in the next update.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 02:28
Oh man, HDR really could be powerful if used fully.
I edited some of the stock cubemaps to be hdr and did the same filtering as before.
The results make cubemaps even more useful for ambient lighting, not just reflections.

All of these are lit only by a 16 bit float cubemap.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 06:35
And she looks different types of Asian in all of the pictures! Lol! > :/
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 22nd Jun 2016 14:53
Niiiice!
Also when you prepare cubemap for PBR i recommend to use ATI cubemapgen (its free) for save.Because Photoshop plugin by nvidia save with seams in mipmapping
It is especially important when cubemap must be blurry
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2016 23:13
Yeah, I'm currently using cubemapgen to filter the cubemaps.
However it's based on blurring, not BRSF/BRDF distributions.

However I'm resorting to using multiple samplers with LOD offsets to replicate the soft GGX falloff.
It looks okay but I'm sure its not that cost effective.

If there's a free and fast program for filtering cubemaps with the GGX distribution I'd love to know.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 22:01
VERSION 3 RELEASED
Disney renormalisation of visability funtion to prevent reflections from becoming too bright or 'hot'
New HDR cubemaps included to experiment with. Recommend CubeMapGen settings updated.

[SHADERS DOWNLOAD] http://www.mediafire.com/download/d8cuz55sy82k5kk/Physically_Based_Shading_Shaders_V3.zip [DOWNLOAD]
[SHADERS AND MEDIA DOWNLOAD] http://www.mediafire.com/download/lzoruoo7j8704tl/Physically_Based_Shading_Shaders_and_Media_V3.zip[DOWNLOAD]
TheMadcow
Years of Service
User Offline
*JAW DROPS MULTIPLE TIMES*

Duck me !
NOW FPSC can compete with any game from the last generation of consoles thanks to you, S4real and Nomad !
You guys did an amazing job in loving FPSC, congratulations !
AlexsandrRu
Years of Service
User Offline
how instal it
Madcow02
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2016 21:24 Edited at: 4th Aug 2016 21:27
WELL, HELLO THERE

You have to install it by putting the files in the "effectbank" folder. Keep in mind that if you doin't know anything about how to get a shader to work properly in FPSC then this pack will be of no use for you. You must learn or know how to make shadermaps before using this pack.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 24th Aug 2016 10:46
Reflecting metal really looks awesome! Good work guys...
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2016 12:27
Wow! Thank you uzi idiot.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:42:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:42:21