Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2018 09:50 Edited at: 17th Jan 2018 09:50
I haven't had DBP installed for many years, I've been happily coding away in AppGameKit instead.
Now I want to install it again but not sure what is the best way to go about it.
I could install from the disk but I can't seem to find any updates.
I've seen that DBP is now open source but does downloading that require me to compile the source? I'd prefer a simple installer.
I also see that Rudolpho has an updated version. Maybe that is a better way to go?

Basically, what I'm saying is: What is the easiest way (I'm very lazy) to get DBP installed and running?

Thanks
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2018 14:02 Edited at: 17th Jan 2018 14:18
Open source stuff does come with a folder labelled "Install" that needs copying over ...but think you need to update it the usual method, it works as is but it was at Update 7.1 I think which is where I seem to recall Lee reverting back to possibly because that was last stage they felt it needed to go back to possibly because he feels that's where things started going wrong - so as he could redo FPSC/Reloaded properly as GameGuru. You can still find updates around such as U7.7 beta posts on the forum as well as earlier betas with last working versions at bottom of 1st posts.
You might as well therefore install as normal and add updates...but you will definately need the certificates folder from the open source "Install" folder as activation method no longer works.

Ortu did provide his own framework for DBP dev with a portable copy upgraded to U7.6 within that framework. Just search his profile threads.

Fairly sure Kuper also provided the downloads for various plugins as well as DBP and U7.6.

I think they both stopped at 7.6 as 7.7 broke DarkDynamics although 7.7 did provide a major fix(first on list of beta threads details of fixes).

As for 9Ex, it is still in dev so could be many issues not yet discovered due to not so many of us left to test it. That said all projects I have all seem to work no issues so far, I have had it on back burner for a while as I wish to complete some stuff I started using 7.7. I fully intend on switching to 9Ex at some point. I have it installed alongside reg DBP so best to have both anyway! Big thanks to Rudolpho for this work as well as his dx11 plugin he is working on. Pretty sure WickedX has his own version which I think originated from when it was made available on Google code if ever you wanted a different route to go, although I do not recall if he made it available or not.

You should know by now nothing is ever straight forward with DBP versions hahaha! But yeah for "easiest" probably Ortu's portable version. That said as I know you are very experienced it is nothing more than a few steps beyond DL'ing whatever version to go any other route - but you will need that certificates folder from open source version on Github especially if you want licensed plugins as they are all in that folder.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Jan 2018 20:12
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2018 21:38 Edited at: 17th Jan 2018 21:46
The copy I uploaded is the last official update, U77, The thread should still be on this page.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220966#msg2613151

No install or activation needed, just download, extract, and go

You dont have to use any of the build tools or other things either, you can just run the default IDE (this is the version updated for Windows 10) straight out of the dbpro folder. You may need to update the path to the compiler from the IDE settings menu
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2018 13:02
Thank you all for the tips.
Ortu's suggestion sounds like the easiest way to go and easiest is always best
I'll give that a go at the weekend.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:10:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:10:14