Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Age3D, a level editor for AGK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2018 12:36 Edited at: 18th Mar 2023 11:45
Hi

Since 2015, I'm looking for a 3D level editor to create my level for my games. I haven't found it so I have decided to create my 3D level editor ^^.

In 2015, I've started a level editor to help me to create my level for my3D games (made with AppGameKit tier1).
In 2016, I have work on it. And since february 2018, I'm trying to fixe the bugs and add new cool features to have a first stable version.

Last Version 0.63 (24 march 2018) :

Download it (open source code) :
https://github.com/blendman/Age3D/raw/master/AGE3D.zip

Currents Features
- Create 3D object primitives, models, light, Terrain (heightmap only for the moment)
- View : move, rotate, zoom, select objects (multi), center to selected, view top/right/front, orthographic-perspective...
- Add 3D models (obj, x, b3D....) or .fpe (gameguru format -> models are added with textures and shader (no .dds or .dbo))
- Copy-paste object on the level (single/multi)
- Object transformation : move, scale, rotate (global, local) + multi selection
- Objects properties : shadow, fog, light, visible in game, color, alpha, transparency, blendmode, image by stage (+uv) +normalmap/lightmap, shader, physics (Wip some parameters)...
- Select panel (object, light, camera, meshs)
- Atmospheric panel (skybox, sun, ambient light, fog, shadows)
- Option panel : snap, lock, camera properties (fov, range, position, angle...)
- Save level\ load level \ export level (to be used in AppGameKit, with an example how to use it), autosave

ToDolist or not finished

Not Finished (wip) :
- physics parameters
- Behaviors

Bugs :
- scale on animated object
- copy/paste in orthographic mode isn't finished
- Opendoc : sometimes, using the same model in 2 scenes bug

Todolist :
- Object type (normal, action, npc, mob...)
wip - set mesh texture/shader
- rot/scale multi by boundbox
- Terrain created with painting (& textures)
- paint object on another object
- set animation frame/name

Screenshots

Version 0.51 (02/2018) :

Version 0.42 (02/2018) :

Version 0.38 (2016) :

Version 0.02 (very old version ^^ 2015 ) :

Videos

Version 0.52 (02/2018)

Version 0.28 (06/2016)

What do you think about that kind of tool ?

Cheers !

PS : all the models on the screenshots are made by me
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2018 18:13
Very impressive. I'm thinking TGC should seriously consider striking a deal with you for this to become the official 3D World Editor. This is very professionally done and would make a hell of a great impression on new people checking out AGK2. Not every person will want to go the route of using GG to design their game worlds. For those that do a solution already exists. But this could be the standard tool.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2018 20:02
Gotta say this is impressive and I agree with GarBenjamin. If you could strike some deal with TGC to make this an official tool it would only be beneficial to developers.
Imaginations' greatest gift is the knowledge you supply it.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2018 20:40
It looks promising, but I need to know how it will load into the games? The best I can imagine is using the built in array load command
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Really nice, Blendman!! My main questions is: how does this differ from GameGuru and is it more powerful?

I hear Ben... but the reality is GG is phenomenal if you take the time to learn it.
Bruzr
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW....that looks impressive! Once this is ready, I would like to try this out as I have been looking for a 3D builder.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2018 09:11
Hi

Thank you a lot for your gomments .

I have forgotten to say this tool will be free. I have made itfor my own games, so if this can be usefull for others users, and help agk to get more users, it will be good for every users and tgc .

@GarBenjamin : thanks for your comments. An official tool, why not, it could be interesting for users who want to create a 3d game.tgc can do what they want with this tool.
if tgc want to use this tool, and include it with agk, that as they want. But I guess its better to let them do what they want.
If they want to create another 3d visual editor for agk, its good too. Its better to have the choice I think.

@ george++ : for the moment, the export is a txt file, with informattions easy to use.
I will see if i can add an export in array. But i have several type of assets ( object, camera, particles, lights, world), so I have to find how to save all thoses assets in a unique fille with array save command (I have not use this command for the moment).

@ Golelorn : I think thats 2 differents tools.
Gameguru is more powerfull in gamecreation, terrain modeling, but need a good cpu. With ggloader, its more powerfull, you can have a complete game, pbr shaders, water, lightmap... those tools are simply amazing.
Age 3d is different. Its a tool made in agk, for agk, even if you can use it to create your level for any game engine, its really made for agk .

I think to have the choice is a good thing.

I have buy gameguru in 2015 or 2016, but unfortunately, my pc has a very low cpu, so gameguru doesnt work at good framerate for me (I think, I have 5 to 10 fps by second when i have luke ^^). So I cant use it, unfortunately. If i could, i will ^^.

Its the main reason I have created my own tool to build the levels for my 3d games.
Gameguru is amazing and very powerfull, with ggloader, its more amazing, and very easy to have a complete game made for agk.

This tool (age 3d) is made with agk, this means :
- its wysiwyg : you will have exactly the same level in age 3d and in your game. But its not like the excellent ggloader : it doesnt create the game for you. Its to you to create your game . Age 3d is only a 3d level editor, with some options usefull.
- you can use it on very low cpu computer like I have
- it should work on windows, mac, linux, we could even have a version in html5, which will be amazing . I have try it on android too, but it have a lot of shortcuts so, if i would like to have an android version, there are lots of changes to do...

with age 3d :
- you can import and set up your model as you want (set image by stage, set normalmap, lightmap, fogmode, colors, emissive, shader, all you can do in agk, I hope to add it in this tool).
- I will add the possibilities to set up the animations for a animated model (name, frame start, end, speed...) for an animated model (we can do some things , but its still wip).
- I will add the possibilities to select a mesh from an object with several meshs, and set up image, shader on this mesh.
- you can navigate in the level very easily like any modeler tool and specially blender (view top, right, front, perspective, orthographic), zoom, move, rotate the view, rotate on selected object)
- you have some usefull options like hide, freeze objects, lock, snap...
- you can change several properties for selected objects in the same time ( menu edit)
- no undo, redo, but its on my todolist, but you have some resets (rotation, scale), and autosave.
- you czn create differents worlds and save/load it.

- game guru is fantastic to create terrain and model it as you want. Not in age 3d for the moment, I dont know how to do that with agk ^^.
- with gameguru, you can make a complete game, add entities, behaviors and run it, not in age 3d which is just a 3d level editor, not a "3d game maker", even if i have added some simple behaviors.

But, I think the better thing to do is to test age 3d (when i will have a stable version), it will be free. So if you like it or its usefull for you, simply use it ^^.

Cheers !
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2018 18:32
If you need testers I'm in
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 04:41
Looks lovely blendo. Really nice work
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 09:24 Edited at: 11th Mar 2018 12:39
Nice!!!! Hope u can finish it and become official 3d editor for agk2( and please integrate janbo shader inside too)

Would be nice if we can see the actual place of light and camera. Now when i try to find the right angle of my gameplay, i had to change the parameter and run.

Goodluck with this!!!
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 11:33 Edited at: 11th Mar 2018 11:41
Hi

Thansk for your comments.

@hoyoyo80 : the editor is advanced. I hope to have a first version (still wip) soon.

janbo shaders :
For the janbo shader, i cant include it by myself, but you can add some shaders in the folder "shaders".
I think some of those shaders will works, and other doesnt work.

I have to bought the janbo shaders to see how they work, if they are like any basic shader or if they need special code to work.
Maybe, in a futur version, i could add an option to use this shaders like "usejanboshaders =1" (in the option.txt file), and include some code for this shaders to work, but i will never include the shaders or other external code from another user, with the editor, because janbo is the "proprietary of this shaders"

Lights :
We can see and move the pointlights in the editor (and change all its parameters (range, intensity, colors...).
I will add that for the sun : move/rotate it and see the changes inrealtime

Camera :
Its on my todolist, to add camera, see it, select rotate, move it too .
For the moment, we can change the parameters of the camera (pos, rot, fov, range...)
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2018 12:53 Edited at: 18th Mar 2023 11:48
Hi

Here are the news about my level editor :

- camera : we can add cameras and do transformations (by panel properties for the moment), like position, rotation, fov, range...

- Object & Mesh : if an object is with multi mesh, we can now select the mesh we want (panel option/selection), and set image on this mesh.

it's not finished at all, I have to add :
- set shader by mesh
- set normalmap by mesh
- save\load object (*.fpe and in the level)

- Sun : I have Add an 3D object to see the sun in the level, but I don't know how to get the angle from the sun direction ???

Do you know how does work the sun direction ? and how to get angles from the direction of sun ?

Cheers !
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, i also look into the command. It should have the light position and rotation command.

But the editor look promising.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2018 10:02
Hi

I have open a github repository for age3d :
https://github.com/blendman/Age3D

I will send the version of Age3d when I will get a stable version (with not to much bugs ^^).

For the moment, it has nothing, except some informations about :
- issues
- features

it's interesting to know what are the next features that will be added to Age3d and what are the issues to fix :
https://github.com/blendman/Age3D/issues

If you have an issues (When Age3d will be available,) or if you have a feature request, you can create an "issues" in this repository, it will be easier for me to fixe it or add the feature (if possible) .

Yesterday, i have added in the editor :

Physics :
- physics window : to change some physics properties (physics body, use collision)
- now, when we clic on the 'use physics" button (in the toolbar), the physics is reseted, and physicbody are deleted and created again.

Shaders :
- I have added a matcap shader
- I'm working on a toon shader (+ outline if I can)

Cheers !

Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2018 13:48 Edited at: 17th Mar 2018 18:32
Hmm, this is starting to look like an interesting project. Nice job so far.

For terrain/mesh editing you would need to edit it in a memblock.

See thread below for more info(it evolves into mesh/terrain editing):
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221333
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2018 22:41
good work! you could get the sun gizmo to look the angle of the sun direction maybe by "object look at". add the sun coords to the coords of the sun gizmo as point to look at, so you can position it freely.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2018 12:16 Edited at: 19th Mar 2018 12:52
@Rick : thanks, I have read the post and it's very interesting. I keep it when I will work again on the terrain editor.

@green7 : I have tried SetObjectLookAt(), but it doesn't work at all like we would ^^.

I have another issues, it seems GetObjectSizeMaxX/Y/Z are bugged with imported object with several meshs, because I can't get the correct size of an object
(don't work with .x, but works with dae for model with several meshs).

I have added a boundingbox whenwe select an object.

We can see the size isn't correct (this model has several meshs) :

Edit :
It seems it an issue because it's in .x. It works in .dae

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2018 07:59
Hi

Here is the news about Age3D (agk game editor 3D) :

I have updated https://github.com/blendman/Age3D :
- screenshots added
- informations added
- issues/features request added and updated.

The news

1) Create panel
- I have a buton to set the "default asset properties". When we create a new object, I check those properties for the new object. Example : size, collision, physicbody...
So we can add several object with size = 20 (scale), colision = 1 and physicsbody = static.
I will add more properties.

When you clic on the buton "properties" (near asset creation), it open a window to change the propertie when create an object.

2) Image panel :
- now, at start, I check in the texture folder (media\textures\) if we have several folders, and keep their names.
- we can change the folder by click < or > butons. List icon for image is updated with the images from this folder.
- we can set the list icon image : by "images folder" or "by image used in the level".

Image in folder (here the folder "default" (media\textures\default\):

Used in the level:

3) Properties panel

- Add propertie to object (in panel propertie) : type.
- we can have "sub-type".
- we can define the type/subtype in a text file
- add 2 string gadgets for param1 & 2 of the type

Type example :

- type can be : "object,action,npc,fx,mob", what you want, you can change it in the file txt

Sub-type Example :

- action : teleporter, chest, start, key, bonus, life, malus...
- npc : infos, quest, sale/buy, accolyte...
- fx : fire, smoke, magic...
- mob (monster) : solo, group, boss

Param1 & 2 example :

- if type is "mob" (monster), sub-type : solo, param1 could be the "id" of the monster.

Other changes :
- Add some properties to an object (is visible in game, lightmode)
- Change some gadgets (checkbox ->buton image (hide, lock)).
- hide/unhide animation gadgets depending of the type of object (animation gadget only with animated object)

4) Toolbar
- 3 new butons added : move the view, rotate the view, zoom the view

I have some bugs to fixes, and I hope to have a first version (wip) soon ^^.

Cheers
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice
Who made the model used in the editor?
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2018 23:29
This looks amazing!
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2018 02:42
Quote: "Who made the model used in the editor?"

it's seems to be a "Blendman style" character

(great work Blendman can't wait to test Age3D !
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2018 08:07 Edited at: 24th Mar 2018 08:56
Hi

Thank you for your comments .

Here is the news about the editor.

News

Better UI : add some framegadget name, so the panels are more explicit. With that, i can separate the panel more easily.

Panel "Create" :
You can see : "Asset", "Default parameter" and "model bank" separation (=framegadget)

Panel "Image" (image & Stage texture) :

Btn "bank/used" :
- we can now see the texture used in the level or the texture from the current folder image.

New list icon for Stage texture : it's a great feature
- I have added a list icon for the stage texture of a model. This is really usefull to select a stage texture and modify it.

Panel "Properties" (no framegadget added for the moment) :
- some parameters weren't saved/loaded : light, fog, Visible (in game), Type/subtype/param1/2...

Bugs fixes & improvements
- I have fixed lots of bugs ^^ (image texture, copy/paste not working with texture, view move doesn't work after to be orthographic, issues with save\load some object and textures, etc...)

The last bugs to fixe :
- scale an animated object
- copy/paste in orthographic mode doesn't work properly
- Opendoc : sometimes, using the same model in 2 scenes bug

Quote: "Who made the model used in the editor?"

I have made all the models that we see on the screenshots .
I use often my own models.

Cheers
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2018 15:49
Nice work Blendman. I subscribed to this thread. By the way: is this a native GUI windows application or AppGameKit application?
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2018 17:39
@george++ : it's 100% made in AppGameKit
All Gui is sprite based (a very enormous work ^^) based on my "LAG " lib (LIB AppGameKit GUI) posted on this forum
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
Impressive! The UI looks very porofessional!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Really looking forward to this! I know I could use Gameguru, but it just feels so bulky when I mostly just need something to place my own 3D asset in my game or create a few boxes.

Would be super nice if Age3D could adjust player location for VR:
AGKVR.SetPlayerPosition(float x, float y, float z)
AGKVR.SetPlayerRotation(float x, float y, float z)

When using Age3D, what is the actual workflow? I mean, is it possible to swap back and forth between coding in AppGameKit and designing in Age3D? Is the generated code sealed off from my own?

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2018 07:26
Hi

Thanks for your comments

Quote: "Would be super nice if Age3D could adjust player location for VR:"

Unfortunately, I don't have the VR dlc, so I don't konw how it works ^^.
What I could add (in a futur version) is an option to set the VR position & rotation for player.

Quote: "When using Age3D, what is the actual workflow? I mean, is it possible to swap back and forth between coding in AppGameKit and designing in Age3D?"

For the moment Age3D is "just" a level editor. So you design your level, you export it and you load it in your game, like in any level editor (tiled for 2D).
You can test your level, modify it, save it and re-open your game with the new level of course.

Quote: " Is the generated code sealed off from my own?"

it's not like the AppGameKit visual editor.
it's not a generated code for the moment (not *.agc for exemple).
The exported file is just a .txt file with informations about the objects/lights in your level (images, models & shaders used, object/lights + properties (pos, rot, scale, color...), world info...).

Maybe in a future version (very far), I will add the feature to generate an agk code, but I don't know when.

kragoth74
Years of Service
User Offline
Impressive stuff here Blendman, I remember some of your other tools on the Purebasic forums.
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Your model nearly reach the level like rachet and clank games.
Tumira
Years of Service
User Offline
This is an awesome project. Should be supported by tgc and maybe added as a DLC officially.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 10:22
With the full agreement and support of Blendman, the Age3D project is now fully open sourced here on Github:

Blendman is not able to continue developing it so we agreed to open source it in the hope that community members might pick it up and expand it. If the project can be extended into a significant editor that proves useful to any AppGameKit developer then TheGameCreators would look at publishing it as an official DLC.

Thanks to Blendman for sharing his work so far, let's hope some developer(s) can step up and take it further.
Development Director
TGC Team
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 14:59 Edited at: 27th Jun 2018 15:03
Thank you Blendman and TGC.
psychoanima
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it's a lovely idea, is there any chance for us non github users to test it out and give our oppinions /suggestions? Any file we can download and test right away?
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2018 18:28
psychoanima, Just go to to site and click on the clone or download button and then click on download zip file. Then you should be able load up in Tier1 editor and run the program from their.
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 22:44
This is fantastic news. Gonna download now. Thank you blendman and TGC.
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2018 22:56
ok, I get an error about an implicit cast from int to float.

"Pixel shader shaders/default/additif.ps failed to compile: 0(19) : error C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float".

When the AGE3D app loads I get as the UI red X's ontop a black and white checkerboard texture.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2018 17:29
Thats Great !
The I'm especially interested in the GUI and I would like to expand it with drag n drop nodes like you see in the modern node based shader editors
Well I have no clue where to start
But I'm not sure if I should merge it to this project or in a separate one !?
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 01:42 Edited at: 1st Aug 2018 01:42
When i run it (And fix the shader) it doesn't seem to be finding the images. It appears that at some point it is changing the directory away from the media folder.

Quote: ""Pixel shader shaders/default/additif.ps failed to compile: 0(19) : error C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"."

Change line 19 of AGKAGE3D-master\media\shaders\default\additif.ps to;
if (agk_MeshDiffuse.a <= 0.0) discard;

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Fitz marc ade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 17:09
I have same problem. Looks like the media is all corrupted?
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 21:01
Hi

I will see tomorrow what is the matter with the images .
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2018 08:59 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2018 09:01
Hi

I don't know why, all images on the github of TGC are corrupted. It's why we can't see the UI.

I have send a new version on my github repository :
https://github.com/blendman/Age3D

It"s a zip which contains all file and not corrupted images.

https://github.com/blendman/Age3D/raw/master/AGE3D.zip

I have fixe the bugs on shaders too (thanks to Blinkok ).

(Of course, its the same licence ).

TGC / Rick : if you want you can copy this zip on your github repository .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:08:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:08:47