Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Testing Planet Defense

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 11:02 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:54
Testing a planets defence
oldvideo here removed please see last post
Each one of those rectangles are guns that fire at the plane you control if you are in range
until you are shot down

The idea stemmed from a planet defense concept inspired by puzzlers spheer code https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222531
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 11:07 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 00:21
Its in very early stages and not sure how far I will take it
altho I have not posted the media this is what the code looks like so far
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 12:57
Wow - this is super cool too. Im happy my sphere algo is made some good use..
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2018 13:26 Edited at: 25th Aug 2018 23:17
Thanks its a cool piece of code not sure how much will get done to it
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 23:18 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:55
Ok fixed the bugs but still needs allot of work

Still need some better guntowers
and probably shouldn't mix 2Dand 3D like that lol
but it demonstrates the code so far.

Eventually il try and bomb the towers avoiding there defense
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2018 23:45
The game could take place where you chose a planet to attack and the plane/ship flies down and into an orbit
around the planet where you try and eliminate the defense mechanisms and possible other aircraft. A sort of Elite
and when the defences are down an animation of your whole fleet zooming in and taking over the planet.

Really just playing with stuff at the moment but if anybody is interested in designing something like that let me know

Im currently using a sphere primitive object because when I use createobjectsphere and apply the world texture i have
for some reason there was a white seam on half of the sphere where it meets for some reason. Apart from that i have
only been using models in AppGameKit assets packs, I do need a more appropriate plane/spacehip but fill in models for now are
great
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 00:06 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 01:05
Looks quite interesting indeed. Heck you could scale it out into a little explorative space battle kind of thing. Like you said traveling from planet to planet reclaiming worlds the enemy has taken and eventually taking the fight to their home planet or whatever. I like seeing game development happening! Very nice!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 00:29
Thanks GarBenjamin

not sure really where i want to take this but im getting more of an understanding of vectors by playing with it
i think a dotvector calculation may be needed for the towers to have better aim than just setting there z coordinate to move
but its hard enough to dodge the missiles now lol I need to do a bomb drop i think next so the player can try and bomb towers

P.S
I haven't long fixed the crash issue lol I forgot to delete the vectors in the getdistance calculation and it kept creating new vectors

fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 06:01 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:55

Ive scaled up the world and you can now shoot the towers and they can ofcourse shoot you instead of them just
shooting outward ive added 5 degrees to the yVector

the code so far was hoping to get more done but visitors
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 10:08
Very nice progress

Maybe idea could be making the sphere (earth) 1000 larger, so its really off the scale. Then can fly round the earth like globe and drop (bmbs) onto the targets

Remember Tornado Low Level

Very nice though
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 17:07
Thanks

Quote: "Maybe idea could be making the sphere (earth) 1000 larger"

I thought of that just would need a very large texture and was thinking it should be some kind of height map if
we are to view it up to close. The world could possibly be modified by the use of a memblock but think thats out
of reach for me at this time, ide have to create a planet model

Couldnt remember Tornado so had to google

This could be done by placing buildings etc at the locations and paths the way to use some great shader effects

not sure what path il go down with it, really have just been playing with the concept, I was thinking more Elite but
yes a tornado could work well where you play the path as some kind of weather/evil god concept. Could even do
perhaps a low resolution concept

Keep the ideas coming

fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 18:59 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 18:59
Hi

Thats cool game - but i think we got the wrong tornado's, i mean this one

Your a tornado plane picking up objects on the ground surface. Yours similar but bmbing the objects instead
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 21:27
That's pretty cool could even take it to a more choplifter concept and rescue people. I wouldn't mind a nice low poly
helicopter that's animated the ones in the tgc store aren't animated. Think it would work better with a helicopter

LOL I just been looking around at how I could achieve a shader that could do the tornado effect most sites had viruses
so ended up looking at models. think if could kinda attract models to it and then could attach them to it. So the tornado
would grow larger.

Both are cool concepts still just playing around with what things can be achieved etc then I may make a decision on
how or where I go with this. Depends on what I can achieve with it really, has to have some desireables
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 22:17 Edited at: 26th Aug 2018 22:17
I had a post apocalyptic one hanging around. I can't animate 3d models atm so i separated out the blades so you can rotate them with code.
The blades on top line up ok so you don't have to move them but the tail needs to be moved (1.5,0.3,0.1) before you fix it to the chopper.
All the models use the same texture and the blades all need back faces to be rendered.

Use as you wish free of charge for personal or commercial use

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2018 22:58
That is a cool game puzzler.

blink that is one fantastic looking helicopter Awesome work!

fubarpk choplifter on the C64 was one of my favorites for quite a long time. Always thought that was very cool all around. I like shmup type of games that have some added objectives like that. Gives them more depth and really adds a lot to the gameplay experience imo.

Be interesting to see which direction you take this!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 00:39
Thanks blink0k that's a pretty awesome chopper
I will have a go at using it a bit later

Il see what I can do @GarBenjamin
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 05:09 Edited at: 27th Aug 2018 05:26
That chopper was an evolution of an experiment i did with wireframe texturing. It started out like this (see below). if you're interested i could give you these as well.
Looking at your game i think a wireframe globe with models like this might look pretty cool!
Anyway let me know if you would like the wireframe ones

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 08:01 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:55
They look awesome

Think they would be perfect just not so sure if I could get vehicles to move on the globe but ide def try
Just tried your chopper out, here it is in action now you collect the yellow squares and shoot and dodge the others
I was thinking a comical look so looked in the agk asset packs the trees may be good to place somewhere but didn't
find much in the way of defence/attack items. apart from perhaps a different bomb
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 10:06
Awesome
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 10:14
Top stuff fubarpk. Il'' package them up and send them to you tomorrow
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2018 10:25 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:27
Thanks very much appreciated

Been playing around with the textures even tried the planet as wireframe didn't like that look and the normal map don't work if I do so
Added trees and been playing with a neon shader on the heli and cleaned up allot of the code

Edited video removed please see further down
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 03:17 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 03:27
Ok here are some assets. I changed the tank to a turret. So you have a chopper, a turret, fuel/ammo pickup, med pickup;

Sorry for the GIF heavy post

ps: There's a bullet model in there as well. You need to set transparency for it.
pps: If you look at the turret project i have turned off lighting for the models and used mipmapping on the images. This may prove problematic as the models move away from the camera

Attachments

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 03:22 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 03:22
Turret.rar is a project that demonstrates an idea i had where you could manipulate the texture of the planet rather than rotate it. That way you could have a disk like object rather than a sphere which would give you a bit more play area.
It looks like this (Look out! Big gif!)

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 03:53
thankyou blink0k that's awesome and very much appreciated
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 05:17 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 05:18
Wow! Looking very good fubarpk!! Coming together nicely!

And blink0k you do excellent work on that stuff! Very nice pieces!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 05:58 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 05:59
box pickup

If you give me a list of stuff you might need i will see if i can put them together for you

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 06:26 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:56
I really was just playing your assets are making it onto something Added the assets, changed the world texture
Its very much an old green screen style of game with a choplifter theme im going for but with blocks Il try the box
next At the moment im using a yellow box to standout from the rest of it anyway enough chat this is what it looks
like so far. oldvideo here removed please see last post not so sure if the green planet is a bit much.
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 06:48 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:56
your blocks are great thanks I left the blocks green in this update. At this point in time you cant go up and down but thinking I might add
that soon and if you crash into anything you go boom and lose the blocks carried. Maybe collect 10 blocks to advance not sure. Having too much
fun playing with the objects also the world could be scaled up slightly with these new models and I could scale up the turrets I think and that
should make them more noticeable.

Its looking very green what do people think green the explosion and particles and go for the total greenscreen look
ive set the helicopter lightmode to 0 like SetObjectLightMode(heliObj,0) I could do that to the other assets so they stand out a bit more
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 07:12 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:54
So I removed the red and blue channels from the smoke and explosion[b] thoughts ?

Its amazing just how much time can be spent just doing simple mods but the code is allot more readable now spent some
time renaming variables etc Think I need gauges down the side like puzzlers Tornado example shows I may do some googling
and get ideas for how I want the gauges and that gives a break from programming. I keep finding minor alterations keep
having effects on the raycasting collisions for example moving the heli away from the globe scaling etc. I kinda like the way it
shows the planet being a globe
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 07:24 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 07:33
are you setting SetGenerateMipmaps( 1 ) before you load the images?
Also i think if you make the sphere texture less bright and saturated the models will tend to be more visible.
I might increase the line width of the outlines too

here is a sphere you could try. And a missle

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 07:59
Quote: "are you setting SetGenerateMipmaps( 1 ) before you load the images?"

No wasn't really sure what that did but just added that line still yet to have a look at your example but wanted to add the models.

Quote: "Also i think if you make the sphere texture less bright and saturated the models will tend to be more visible."

Its set with the color command so a very easy fix

The missile il def try. Finding the shoot missile and drop bombs functions are being a pain I use the settings same as was put
up on the forum by one of the mods and the same as in book of portals but im finding im always off with the angles and end
up setting manualy and/or rotating localy in the functions to fix this.
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 08:00
This sphere is textured a little better. And a pillar

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 08:21 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:53

Wow when I view that sphere in the AppGameKit viewer its messed up looks much better in AppGameKit itself
I think the breaks it has now tho cos im still using my old sphere and it may not be mapped the same
but thought ide show it

fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 08:44 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:52

I like the honeycomb look but it looks the same in the AppGameKit asset viewer
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 09:05
Have you tried it with the model i supplied?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 09:14 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 09:15
yep and that's the pic above looks the same in AppGameKit viewer
Something weird is happening to it it may need a uv setting strangely I haven't adjusted them
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 09:52
Yes it needs to uvwrap, but try this one. It's a geodesic sphere so it doesn't stretch at the poles.

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 10:20 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:59
That one works well oldimage here removed please see last posts
Quote: "Yes it needs to uvwrap"

I just knew something was wrong with the UVs and looked and tried scaling etc
when I prob should've tried SetImageWrapU ( iImageIndex, mode ) but didn't
understand exactly why

But in my defence I have allot going on here, I care for my aged mother who I just had to explain to that dad had passed
away 20 years ago to because of her memory loss. keeping active on these forums and coding is what keeps me going

Thanks for your help and all the assets its very much appreciated
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 11:16 Edited at: 28th Aug 2018 11:18
No worries matey. No problem at all.
Sorry about your difficult situation.
The last screenshot looks nice. I might change the texture so the lines on the sphere are a similar width to the assets.
I'll make up a tree tomorrow.

Just so you know you need to SetImageWrapU () on the image AND setObjectUCScale() as well for the texture in the other model. I think the latest one looks best though.

It's really starting to look like that old school tank game

What would REALLY be awesome is if @Janbo wrote a shader that rendered outlines at the edges of surfaces.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 03:10 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 08:13
Quote: "What would REALLY be awesome is if @Janbo wrote a shader that rendered outlines at the edges of surfaces. "

Think there is a wireframe one if that's what you mean

At the moment ive decided to do away with the missile objects and gone for spheres the problem is the firing of them is really
hard to get the angles right with the current heli position and view and im spending too much time modifying the shooting

Havent made allot of changes to the code but did some media changes now the tree is more suitable and fuel/meds/turrets
all sit on a base. I shifted them appropriately in blender which made it allot easier to place them. Ive also added some text
overlays which read Altititude, Fuel, Holding blocks, and Blocks Rescued. Keeping controls simple not sure if I should just have
a time on holding blocks before they are considered rescued. Anyway enough talk heres a video (yes I keep deleting older videos)

ildvideo removed please see last post
Ps the video went much darker than it is
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 03:50
Heres my thinking for the game BlockLifter basically you collect blocks and somehow drop them off
You will have a limited fuel but not sure yet how il implement the fuel in game
Turrets and the heli may just fire spheres (easier with angles)
Thinking of having lives so I may adjust the heart in the free asset packs scale and position to sit on a base to gain extra lives
Apart from that some scenery im happy with the tree i have now its fixed and the image improved not sure what other
Senery to have perhaps a hut this could also be the drop off point for the blocks. So a wireframe building to scale if you
have one please blink0k if not thats ok il see what i can come up with

fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 04:34 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 04:34
Looks good.
1. I think those bright blades distract a little from the gameplay area. Maybe i'll try an outline on them.
2. Could you shoot me over those models so you don't have to keep changing them if i make changes.
3. I think if you place objects exactly on the vertex of the sphere it will be less chaotic and look more organized and easier to navigate
I saved the sphere as a .obj so you can extract the verticies (Lines beginning with "v ". obj files a just text files)

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 04:52
Sure just pm your email address and il send the media
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 05:01
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 06:34 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 06:53
Quote: "I saved the sphere as a .obj so you can extract the verticies (Lines beginning with "v ". obj files a just text files)"

Looks good on yours but when I try I get this using your sphere1.obj

Using this code

creating the textfile from entries which looked like v -0.262866 0.000000 0.425325

This text file
http://users.tpg.com.au/subarpk/sphere.txt

I get this
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 07:04 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 07:07
Here is my project.
On thing. If you scale your model up you have to scale up the values.
So if you scale your model x 5 then you need to multiply your values by 5

if you're fixing you objects to the sphere then don't scale up the numbers

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 07:33 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 18:14
ahh yes that works perfect thanks I mustve grabbed the wrong parts but using your function to extract the data
works well

The code so far, apologies the media file I sent has lots of stuff that's not used I had videos and all in there lol I removed mosy
of what I could see wasn't needed

I was thinking in the beginning of using my neon shader but for this project I think SetObjectLightMode(objectid,0) works quite well
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 08:12 Edited at: 7th Sep 2018 13:28
So far

Edited video removed please see further down

Much Clearer in full screen mode
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 08:23
Looks great
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2018 08:42 Edited at: 29th Aug 2018 08:50
Thanks that's all your models and the new way of getting the objects placed at the vertex point

I tried leaving the animation of the heart when I moved it but for some reason it went way off scale
or something weird not sure just know I cant use animated objects positioning them and fixing them
This way Removing the animation fixed the issue

Im thinking perhaps leaving the hearts red and perhaps blue for the fuel objects so they stand out more
and perhaps the blocks you pick up yellow. Not sure but its so green I think it needs some highlights

Im curious to hear what the rest think

Then just need to work out what im going to do with the blocks to get them rescued perhaps a largish flat
plane or similar at the top and bottom vertex points that you fly over.

and to keep the controls mobile friendly not have an altitude control to pick up and drop off the blocks
more just hover over them That would just mean you have forward, backward, left and right controls
Well limited left and right and ofcourse touch screen to shoot atm
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:24:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:24:47