Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] MOOD: Close Enough

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 11th Jun 2019 20:51 Edited at: 15th Jun 2019 02:32

MOOD: Close Enough
by Brian Lizotte, aka xplosys

Story
MOOD: because it's DOOM spelled.... well, you know
MOOD stands for... oh, let's say "Mars Office of Defense". I seems the defense office has been overtaken by aliens. You need to get inside, take out any resistance, and restore the power so you can send an SOS to the nearest outpost.

At the moment I am trying within reason (there is a gnat on the inside of my monitor, running around on the backside of the screen and it's driving me crazy. Those of you in the south know what I mean.) to recreate the first level of the original DOOM E1M1. Due to FPSC size restrictions, there will be some size changes and possibly an extra turn or two, but hey... "Close Enough". The music will be loud, the lighting will be low, and the aliens will be mad! I hope you enjoy it.

Credits
Credits will be updated as things progress.
Music: Andrew Hulshult (IDKFA: Full Doom remake album) https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/idkfa-doom-soundtrack
Animation and Scripting: Mike Wells (ncmako)
Skybox: http://www.custommapmakers.org/skyboxes.php

Episode 1 - Level 1 Demo attached...

Reviews...
"Totally awesome game !!! Finally beat it. Also, grandson tested, grandson approved !!!"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ScooT9
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Half-Life: WAR
Posted: 11th Jun 2019 22:38
looks cool
hi, i'm a random guy who's making random games with random game engines for random reasons
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2019 23:50
Awesome Explosys This sounds terrific!
Quote: "there is a gnat on the inside of my monitor, running around on the backside of the screen and it's driving me crazy"

Yeah, That's why I keep a fly-swatter close by at all times.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Doom II
Posted: 12th Jun 2019 00:41 Edited at: 12th Jun 2019 00:50
Quote: "MOOD stands for... oh, let's say "Mars Office of Defense""

Brilliant.

Anyway, I'd like to see more
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2019 05:03
Thanks ScooT9.

Quote: "Yeah, That's why I keep a fly-swatter close by at all times."

If ida seen'im, ida got'im!

Quote: "Anyway, I'd like to see more "

Here's a few more.

This level is about done. There are secret paths and stashes in the DOOM style. The aliens are all Aiko. (because the female of the species are always the most evil and ruthless)

Attachments

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2019 00:23
@ Explosys
Quote: "The aliens are all Aiko"

Hey, I think she's getting a bad rap.
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2019 02:06
Quote: "Hey, I think she's getting a bad rap."

Well maybe she's changed a little since you knew her?

Attachments

Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Well that does look awesome! But maybe you can use some different weapons other than Model Pack 6's, they don't look too fit
Medal of Honor
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2019 11:23
Damn! This looks good. Can't wait to play!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2019 15:44 Edited at: 14th Jun 2019 22:43
Quote: "But maybe you can use some different weapons other than Model Pack 6's, they don't look too fit"

I'm open to suggestions. These seem to fit because they don't have the kick-back and additional features (more DOOM-like?) that others have. Is there a way to limit the features of other weapons?

Thanks Mriganka! It certainly doesn't have your design and lighting flair, but it's not supposed to. I think it provides a bit of nostalgia and that's the goal. It's also more in line with the capabilities of the engine. I'm able to add sixteen characters without any noticeable slow-down on my old machine, so it should perform well (DOOM-like) for most people. I still have one area that wants to lag for some reason. It's not too bad, but I need to figure it out.

Attachments

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2019 21:35 Edited at: 14th Jun 2019 21:37
Quote: " I still have one area that wants to lag for some reason. It's not too bad, but I need to figure it out."

One of the things I've noticed slows down a lot of FPS games is having non-native texture formats. Low-res obviously speeds things up, but also making sure that the textures are one of compressed DXT formats within a .DDS speeds things up considerably (it's a native format to the video hardware). Just beware that they are lossy, which is often unnoticeable, but sometimes is, depending on the image.
Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2019 21:53
@The Tall Man

That's interesting. I create all my segment textures as png's and I see that FPSC auto-creates dds's for each one. I'm assuming it does that so it can use them, so it's using all dds files.
The slow spot is quite small, just the last few steps on a secret passage stairway. All the textures used there and the few entities nearby are the same ones used all over the map, nothing new or different.
I just have to think like Lee to figure this out.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2019 22:47 Edited at: 14th Jun 2019 22:59
The slow spot has been fixed (still not sure how) and level 1 demo was added to initial post.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2019 23:17

@Xplosys
Quote: " I create all my segment textures as png's and I see that FPSC auto-creates dds's for each one"

Oh wow, really? I didn't know that. I sometimes use .png's, good to know. Thanks
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2019 01:45
Xplosys Terrific demo Love it. Played it three times so far, keep getting killed.
Going to keep playing until I beat this thing
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2019 08:56
@xplosys,

.DDS files can hold many image formats. FPS-C is most likely converting the .PNG files to a fully uncompressed format rather than to the compressed DXT format, which would be the speed increase I was talking about. There's a Direct-X texture tool you can use called DXTEX that lets you inspect and convert .DDS files. It comes as part of the Direct-X SDK. You can either call it from the Windows gui or from the command line. The advantage for the command line is you can create a batch file to convert multiple files at once. Here's some documentation on it:

http://doc.51windows.net/Directx9_SDK/graphics/programmingguide/tutorialsandsamplesandtoolsandtips/tools/dxtextool.htm
Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
sman512
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2019 13:14
@Xplosys
Just AWESOME i really enjoyed the gameplay!
GS
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2019 14:07
@The Tall Man
I understand. Thanks. I use a Photoshop plugin when I convert to dds and it has all the compression options. I will check the textures FPSC creates against the ones I convert to DXT format for future reference. Since the issue was fixed with moving a few thing around and the sluggish area used the same textures as much of the map I don't think it was the problem in this case, but getting an overall speed increase is always a plus.

With that in mind, hats off to the Black Ice MOD folks once again for their work making FPSC usable. This would not have been possible with stock FPSC.

@ ncmako and sman512,
Thanks for checking it out. I hope it was more fun to play than it was to make.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2019 18:15 Edited at: 16th Jun 2019 18:18
Get ready for the Level 1 review!

Well, this game has a tonne of personality. But before I get into the good let me point out some irks I have with the level. Since you are trying to translate DOOM into FPSC, some of my suggestions may not be valid.

1. The player start should be a bit behind. Like in the door where the player starts maybe could be a segment or two behind.
2. The player should start with a bit more ammo.
3. Enemy variety (it's just the start I know ).
4. A lack of player feedback on movement and damage (also with enemies in terms of damage).
5. More secrets! And trickier too, provided if it doesn't hamper the level layout too much

The good -

1. The presentation is great from the UI to the music.
2. The level design is quite awesome.
3. the game really recreates the feel of DOOM!

Suggestions -

1. Lights could be placed to separate out some hallways as they are a bit hard to differentiate due to the lack of depth.
2. Perhaps the key-card doors could be a bit more extravagant so the player remembers that door (subjective).
3. The guns maybe need an overhaul. I would suggest using the "Old School" FPSC floating 'no hands' weapons brought to the center of the screen via the gunspec. Also, don't forget uzi_idiot's minigun from his PBR shaders and BIMod. They would work terribly well with the game.
4. A lower ambiance maybe... (it's subjective tho)

I can't wait to get my hands on the second level of the game!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2019 23:03 Edited at: 16th Jun 2019 23:07
@Mriganka,
Thanks for taking the time to play and provide your thoughts as well. I really appreciate your input.

Quote: "1. The player start should be a bit behind. Like in the door where the player starts maybe could be a segment or two behind."

You're right. The player started in view of the aliens off to the upper left. He should have com in through the door behind him and been locked out from going back.
Quote: "2. The player should start with a bit more ammo."

I'm going to go with your "subjective" on that one. Even at my age and lack of player skill I found the first two aliens to be easily dispatched using existing cover (pillars) and there was more ammo where they were.
Quote: "3. Enemy variety (it's just the start I know )."

Absolutely, she was more or less a placeholder.
Quote: "4. A lack of player feedback on movement and damage (also with enemies in terms of damage)."

I just know you're trying to tell me something... but I'm not getting it. LOL
Quote: "5. More secrets! And trickier too, provided if it doesn't hamper the level layout too much"

Yes, absolutely.

Some other things you point out...
The music and level design do create the feeling of DOOM, but I can't really take credit.
The lack of depth and the plain door (differentiated by colored walls) are in keeping with the original DOOM style. It's what I was trying to preserve and not create my own interpretation, though I understand what you mean.

Thanks again.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2019 06:16
Quote: "Quote: "4. A lack of player feedback on movement and damage (also with enemies in terms of damage)."

I just know you're trying to tell me something... but I'm not getting it. LOL"

I meant like a small/minor indication of player hitback with the camera and walking animations like DOOM.

As for the enemies something a bit more bloody and "gory" (like bloodspurt).

Have a great day designing the game!
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice release and also only just seen this downloading the demo now to play looks good.

well done on your release

best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:28:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:28:01