Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Tower Defense [Community Prize Competition]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2021 17:07 Edited at: 7th Feb 2022 16:59

JOIN @ ITCH.IO

Create a Game that includes the basic elements of the Tower Defence subgenre, as follows:
  • "Protect or Defend against Waves of Adversaries via strategic placement of Towers or Obstacles".
    > This is not limited to typical, straight forward application. IE, there's a reason that I didn't cut & paste directly from this article.
    > Use your imagination but the basic elements must be distinguishable.

First Prize:
Second Prize:
Third Prize:
Special "Encouragement" Award for New Users of AGK***:
  • Hands On AppGameKit Studio Volumes 1 & 2 e-Books by Digital Skills valued at $50.00
    > If you already own the books, you can designate them as a Gift by providing a separate Email Address for delivery.
  • $50.00 Cash
  • $15.00 Credit @ GameDeveloperStudio.com
  • 1 Month Premium Subscription @ CraftPix.net valued at $15.00**
  • ***Eligibility to be determined by the Judges.

*All Cash amounts in USD and delivered via PayPal.

**CraftPix advises that Members with an existing Subscription will have it extended by the Prize duration. Winners should supply me with the Email Address used there.

• All Prizes were made possible with generous Support for our Community from:

• Submission must be a new Creation made with AppGameKit (Classic or Studio).
    > This includes Tier 2 (C++, Xcode, AGKSharp, etc,) as long as it uses the AppGameKit API for the bulk of the game.
    > Users may be asked to provide some code to the Judges to prove that AppGameKit is driving the game.
  • You must have the Right to include any Media which must also be Credited where necessary within the game itself.
  • Teams are permissible as are Team Requests made only within this Thread and only for this Challenge.
  • You MUST be a Registered User of the TGC Forums in Good Standing to participate.
  • All other aspects of the AUP apply.
  • If the Judges agree that a game is not within the Spirit of the Jam then we will omit it from the Competition.
  • Submissions must be made as a Windows executable or HTML Export hosted at itch.io .
    > Do utilize a viable form of Asset Protection if an executable is submitted and you are using commercial assets with a licence that requires it. See HERE.
    > Suggestion: Do add the Made With AppGameKit metadata if you post @ itch.
  • By entering a Submission to this Competition, you Confirm that it is Legal for you to do so.
  • HAVE FUN.

• Each submission to be Rated 1-10 in Overall Player Experience (with 10 being "perfect") by the Judges:
    > Moderators Blink, Scraggle, & Virtual Nomad.
  • Participants are encouraged to play all submissions and provide Feedback so that we don't miss a thing.
  • Consideration will include Execution, Clarity in Rules & Play, and general Fun provided.
  • Ratings to be completed by February 6th, 2022 @ 9PM UTC
    > that gives everyone a full week to play all the submissions and provide feedback with "Official" Ranking tabulated soon after.

• Any Cash Prizes will be transferred via PayPal only.
  • Upon completion of the Official Rankings, Winners should expect prompt communication via the email address provided with the submission.
  • Final Results of the competition can be found attached to THIS POST.

• Feel free to keep us posted on your creation's progress within this Thread.
  • As this is meant to be a true Community Competition, ALL levels of experience with AGK/S are welcome;
    > Feel free to seek guidance where necessary.
  • I look forward to seeing what this Challenge produces, and to Awarding appropriate Badges:

• The time allotted should provide for numerous submissions; Please do participate!
  • I may amend the above to account for anything that I didn't provide for;
    > This is the first time I've set a challenge after all
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2021 01:07 Edited at: 13th Dec 2021 23:52

Asset Protection:
User-made TD Guides:
More:
  • [TD] WIPS
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2021 08:17 Edited at: 10th Feb 2022 15:53
Looks like a fun challenge.
3D for me and maybe something a bit weird or different.
On second thought, perhaps I'm "not acceptable" as a competition entrant because I never know how much time I will waste curled up in pain thanks to a motorcycle accident 30 years ago.
I've had smart packer pro sitting on my hard drive for years so I finally went to test it and the darn thing won't work. Spits out an error.
So I can't do asset protection at the moment. If I only use free assets or my homemade assets then I guess the asset protection rule doesn't matter?
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
And nine months later I was born.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2021 15:38
Haven't touched AppGameKit in a while, but this looks like fun. Time to re-install and join in. Great idea, Virtual Nomad!

"Do utilize a viable form of Asset Protection if an executable is submitted."
What if I don't care if someone steals my audio/graphics?
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2021 15:58 Edited at: 7th Nov 2021 16:20
first,

i am in the process of gathering PRIZES for this, the totality of which is To Be Determined. with this development, i may change the judging system. I will update on both fronts appropriately.

then,

Quote: "3D for me and maybe something a bit weird or different."

that sounds perfect

Quote: "What if I don't care if someone steals my audio/graphics?"

then it wouldn't be stealing and please include that fact somewhere. and, thanks for sharing
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2021 18:16
@Virtual Nomad thats really good. But my bad luck. I only programming 2D, I Don't know 3D much. But I will download all submitted games and will play.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2021 18:30
It is not exclusively for 3D. You can submit 2D or 3D. I suspect most people will choose 2D
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2021 20:26
And just to be clear...

Quote: "ALL levels of experience with AGK/S are welcome"

Looks like it's open to AGKS users too.
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2021 04:13
@Scraggle Thankyou . I also submit game
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2021 15:42
I've always wanted to make a tower defense game, I'm in!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

DewarInversion
Years of Service
User Offline
I have some idea's I'm going to try. It would be interesting from the point of view of AI
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2021 18:18
I wouldn't have a clue where to start with this kind of game but good luck to everyone and I'm looking forward to seeing the entries.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 01:33
Quote: "VN wrote: "ALL levels of experience with AGK/S are welcome"

Looks like it's open to AGKS users too."

absolutely:
  • Submission must be a new Creation made with AppGameKit (Classic or Studio)
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 04:13 Edited at: 9th Nov 2021 04:17
@all,

i am elated to announce that we have commitments for more than $500 USD in Cash and Prizes to distribute amongst winners with the majority of that secured by a SUPREMELY GENEROUS user, here.

I hope this is enough for some of you to consider pausing any current projects or bring some users that we haven't see in awhile back to the table

With that, as we contact potential Sponsors, we are providing a link to this thread where it would be ideal to show just how many of us will be throwing our hats into the ring as they consider supporting this Community!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 08:49
Deadline extended so that there's no panic to finish over Christmas/New Year
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 11:38 Edited at: 10th Nov 2021 21:21
One thing we have been discussing over on the moderators channel is how to encourage less experienced coders to have a go at this. We have decided to award a prize especially for this category. We have the perfect prize ready and will be announcing it along with all the prizes once we have final confirmation of the full list. Watch this space!
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline

I am a less experienced coder but have learned a lot the last months

But before I commit to this I need to know more on what the Tower Defense subgenre is.

I read over the page and got some of it but a better example game to give us a good idea on how to start graphics and all.

I would of course have to put a hold on my side scroller with no name still lol, So because of this I need to know more on the game details.

Sounds like fun for this Girl.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 12:27 Edited at: 9th Nov 2021 12:35
Basically:
The user places obstacles in an attempt to stop a wave of enemies reaching their tower.
The "tower" could be anything at all. It could be a literal tower or simply the edge of the screen.
I could go on but it would be better to just look at some examples because if a picture tells a thousand words a list of videos is infinitely better.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tower+defence+examples

The first video in that list (below) tells you just about everything you need to know.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I get it fully now.

As soon as I saw Plants verses zombies I knew what I wanted to do just about.

I might just have to start work on this.

Can I try a clone of plants verses zombies? Would this count, it sounds like fun to at least try.

And how many levels?

One playable level?

or more?
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 13:02 Edited at: 9th Nov 2021 13:04
Yes, of course.
The more that you "make it yours" and insert your own twist on it, the higher you are likely to score but realistically, if a newcomer can make a clone of a commercial product then you're likely to do very well with scoring.
As for the number of levels - the more the merrier. You are trying to impress your peers as they are rating your game. One level isn't going to score as high as a game with enough levels to keep you playing all day.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 14:27 Edited at: 9th Nov 2021 14:30
I think a separate prize is a good idea but how will you determine who qualifies as "less experienced"?

Quote: "As soon as I saw Plants verses zombies I knew what I wanted to do just about."

That's probably the most successful tower defense games I can think of. I never did manage to beat the end boss

And scraggle, I know you're a mod but did you have to give yourself every ribbon? You're stacked like a general!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 14:32 Edited at: 9th Nov 2021 14:49
Quote: "how will you determine who qualifies as "less experienced"?"

That's a discussion we are having on the mod channel but as I see it, you would declare yourself as a newcomer at the start, making you eligible of the newcomer prize(s) but ruling you out of the top prize(s). That's not set in stone yet, just a thought.
As for the "ribbon" I think I'll remove some. It makes short posts take up a lot of space [Edit] Done
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I already started, I'm in.

Here is my first post.

Just to prove I started this today.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 19:26 Edited at: 9th Nov 2021 19:27
I'm wanting to do a space-themed defense game. Everyone bring your A-game, cause I'm not going easy on this challenge! Other than the turret, all graphics are homebrew.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 19:39
very cool, phaelax.

i've been patiently waiting to play something made here that's similar to this for a dozen years (and i think i finally realized the pun in the thread title, assuming it was intentional)

it was also light inspiration for this jam game from ~a year ago.

so, looking forward to it
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2021 23:42 Edited at: 9th Nov 2021 23:48
Loosely, objects placed by the user that protect the central game object, close enough?

Edit: Tier2?

NM: AppGameKit (Classic or Studio)
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 00:19
Quote: "Loosely, objects placed by the user that protect the central game object, close enough?"

Still sounds like tower defense to me.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 00:47
Quote: "Loosely"

that makes me nervous since i know where some of our imaginations can venture.

it's a TD-sub-genre challenge where the "basic elements must be distinguishable". i wouldn't expect submissions straight out of the box but at least keep the box in sight?

as far as tier 2, i don't want to limit anyone's skill set but it's an AGK challenge. "recognizable" seems fitting, there, too. i imagine someone could write a TD game in C++ and throw in a couple of AppGameKit commands and declare it "written in AppGameKit!".

anyway, you get the idea
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 01:51
Quote: "that makes me nervous"

I was watching "The Expanse" while browsing this thread and inspiration struck for a low poly 3D game that would suit this genre ... no blue goo don't worry! lol

Quote: "as far as tier 2"

Same can be said for plugins, this is Vanilla Tier1 only then, no C++, no plugins, just Basic? (as per: "anything that i didn't provide for")

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 02:38 Edited at: 10th Nov 2021 03:00
Quote: "this is Vanilla Tier1 only then?"

no, no. just not a "C++ game with a couple of AppGameKit commands" thrown in is what i'm hoping for.

sorry for not being clear but it's probably my ignorance showing when it comes to tier 2. suffice to say that everything i've seen on the AppGameKit boards IS AGK to me including any tier 2 stuff. does that help clarify? i havent seen it all but if we see something like this:

can we agree it's not "AGK"? and, not a TD game?

at second glance, we could pull that off in AppGameKit if we wanted to. maybe i'm concerned about nothing

in the end, "If the mods agree that a game is not in the spirit of the Jam then we will omit it from judging" is the "official" statement on both accounts.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 05:29
Quote: "we could pull that off in AppGameKit"

Because we can, does not mean we should!

It would certainly be a fun experience turning connect 4 into a tower defence game tho ...

Quote: "If the mods agree that a game is not in the spirit of the Jam"

Fair enough, I'll stick to Tier1 Basic, its easier to prototype in anyway.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Eat your heart out Zombies

I said eat your heart out

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 08:39 Edited at: 10th Nov 2021 08:44
Lol, Cute!

I have seen the game around but never played it.

Taking enthusiasm from Phaelax's example I'm going for a 3D approach, not sure whether to go with asteroid storm or alien invasion, my tower placement code is done so that's one math headache out the way just need to sync it to tower types in a state machine (the little blue dots are tower placeholders), I need to get back into blender and separate the land masses from the main sphere so I can check for (land v's sea) collisions, and poles, rocky regions etc etc for tower building cost/terrain type and effectiveness, the idea being some can only be placed on land and some only at sea (mobile drone tower ships? still qualify? TD are essentially RTS too, right?)

I want to ... have alien ships land and an invasion force decant so certain regions of the planet become "frontlines" while they try and take over the capitol of that landmass, just chucking rocks at the planet feels like a copout when we got time to do so much more, I want Will Smith, not Bruce Willis!! (See what I did there!! )

I used a bit of foresight this time and stuck the entire game behind a single nested type array so I can save it out to .json, instant save game system, zero effort (don't you just love that feature?)

Not sure what models I am going to use at this point I will probably model my own, the planet and landmasses of course I have too do as I need them done in a very specific way for the collision detection and I need them now so I can write the code but a few ships and some little alien peeps should not be an issue, it will be more coloured primitives until I get round to it tho!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 08:40 Edited at: 10th Nov 2021 08:42
[Double Post]

Soz, don't know what happened there, page crashed and posted 2wice!!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lol, Cute!

I have seen the game around but never played it."

lol Yes, used to play this a lot when it came out, now I'm cloning it .

You should do a planet attack where the planets attack each other lol.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 13:05
Could we get some clarifications on some elements...

Quote: ""Protect or Defend against Waves of Adversaries via strategic placement of Towers or Obstacles".
> This is not limited to typical, straight forward application. IE, there's a reason that I didn't cut & paste directly from this article.
> Use your imagination but the basic elements must be distinguishable."

Some questions:

Does the defence have to be exclusively through Constructs?
i.e. Traps, Walls, Emplacements, etc.?

The reason I ask is because Gears of War Horde, Fortnite Save the World and Orcs Must Die... all are reliant on Defensive Structure Construction., but the Players themselves also take an active role in Defence (i.e. they can Shoot the on-coming waves of enemies).
I mean a similar question can be levied at say MOBA., where-in sure traditionally you don't construct things; but the concept of having PvP where-in you have someone playing on the Horde Side as a "Hero Villain" and someone on the Defenders side as a "Hero Champion"., I mean assuming that the Attackers just get their Horde Numbers while the Defenders just get their Defence Structures... well would that be in-keeping with the "Theme"?

Really just curious as to the red-lines in regards to what will and won't be considered a "Tower Defence"
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 14:17 Edited at: 10th Nov 2021 16:31
We (the mods) are currently discussing where the lines should be drawn for what is considered a Tower Defence game and what isn't.
The top post will be edited soon with our decision.
[Edit] Done. I've added a few lines above "RULES" which should help clarify things a little.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2021 20:40
Quote: "Could we get some clarifications on some elements..."

You had to go and ask!

Quote: "[Edit] Done"

Yup, me too!

Rule 5 directly contradicts rule 1,2,3 and 4, use your imagination "but your game must do this this this and that", that's a very small box you are giving our imaginations to work with.

My imagination is offended by your new rules TBH, and on that note, I'm out!, no joke, this is turning more into a Fiver ad than a game comp, have the mods never heard the term "Genre Busting"?

I have towers that defend stuff, it should be a done deal, how I manage my placement or level handling is down to my imagination and/or skill (or lack of either) but its shackled by genre norms, after all we are programmers, thinking "out of the box" kind of comes naturally

“The code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules." - Captain Barbosa

And some real ones:
Quote: "“Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model.” ―Vincent Van Gogh
“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine, and at last, you create what you will.” ―George Bernard Shaw
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ―Albert Einstein
Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.” ―Gloria Steinem"

The only 3 rules that should apply.
1. The main focus of your game must be based around "Towers"
2. Your "Towers" must defend something.
3. AUP

But I am sure I probably just broke rule 3 myself with this post (disagreeing with a mod) so I'll bid you all farewell now!, may we meet again.

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""Between levels new defences are awarded and/or existing ones can be upgraded"
"Place your defences according to a limited budget"
"Once the adversaries are on the move, player input is limited to the placement/repositioning of defences""

I don't want to compete myself either, thanks for the invite though.

This is not a competition if we have to build the game as the rules says so.

I was not going to add anything between levels as you need to win upgrades, also it is just now way to much work for a simple fun competition .

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2021 04:15
Don't know why everyone has a problem with the rules, I think they laid out the basic mechanics of a tower defense game. Place stuff to stop waves of enemies with options for upgrades between waves. That's pretty typical of the genre. I still think there's plenty of room for imagination.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2021 12:55 Edited at: 11th Nov 2021 13:04
The following were removed from the first post as "too rigid":
  • "Between levels new defences are awarded and/or existing ones can be upgraded"
  • "Place your defences according to a limited budget"
  • "Once the adversaries are on the move, player input is limited to the placement/repositioning of defences"

@PTC, your design sounds like Tower Defense to me. run with it.

@Game_Code_here, the same applies.

@Raven, if you plan on entering, see the next line.

If anyone is wondering if their idea meets the spirit of the challenge, don't hesitate to PM me, blink or scraggle with the general design, as other have.

guys, we all know what Tower Defense is. if the mechanics and play FEEL like Tower Defense, then it's Tower Defense.

@Phaelax Thanks for helping to dial this in. Scraggle tried to help with that but dialed it in a little too tight.

my initial post for this ended with Notes:
  • I may amend the above to account for anything that I didn't provide for;
    > This is the first time I've set a challenge after all

maybe i should have started the thread with that in big, bold letters to emphasize that this is new ground for me. but, i do know that Community requires Communication and i hope that can continue before anyone else decides to "take their toys and go home".
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2021 15:14
Quote: "If anyone is wondering if their idea meets the spirit of the challenge, don't hesitate to PM me, blink or scraggle with the general design, as other have."

Yeah., didn't expect my question to elicit quite the reaction it did.

Quote: "guys, we all know what Tower Defense is. if the mechanics and play FEEL like Tower Defense, then it's Tower Defense."

Perhaps... I mean I know what is Classically considered a Tower Defence game (and I'm not a big fan of them)., things like Bloons TD, Kingdom Rush, Plants Vs Zombies, etc.
But then there are others, such-as some on the Gameranx Top 10 list:

That I'd never have really considered to be in the TD Genre.
I mean the original concept I had was for a 3v1 (asymmetrical multiplayer) design... where-in 1 Player is the Horde., they have "Horde" Points to select the Squads of Enemies they want to Spawn and their Spawn Points for a given Wave.
The other 3 Players are "Heroes" which have unique abilities and defensive structures / traps that they can construct to Defend the Objective.

When the rules were clarified (made more "Classic" in the restrictions)., well I came up with a different concept.
One where you had Tower(s) with Spiral Walkways around the outside... the objective for the AI was to reach the top to capture the Tower.
The Defender would build additional layers, traps, etc. to prevent them from reaching the top... this wasn't as fleshed out, and I still think it might be an interesting concept; but with the lift in the restrictions again, might go back to something similar to the original concept I had.

Going to keep having a think about what to do, as well to me whatever it is... would have to be interesting (mechanically and in terms of engagement) to me.
And I do want to do a bit more of a creative and unique take on the Tower Defence concept.

Quote: "Rule 5 directly contradicts rule 1,2,3 and 4, use your imagination "but your game must do this this this and that", that's a very small box you are giving our imaginations to work with."

Quote: "This is not a competition if we have to build the game as the rules says so."

Restrictions force Creativity, Imagination and Innovation to be Unique.
Consider this as a concept...

We all know how Hearthstone plays., we've all played it, right?
It's a super streamlined Magic The Gathering (which actually makes it fun rather than ridiculously convoluted)
Well how about the Game Board is akin to a Chess Board., where you place down your Cards that have a fairly simple setup of Attack-Defence and Attack Area (some cards are Horizontal-Vertical., others are Diagonal., others might be in a Star Pattern., etc. be creative)
At the start of a Turn you (as defender) get to put down all your cards; the defender then picks the "Lanes" they want to to put their cards into (with a restriction of cards per lane) from the hand they draw.

Conceptually what you'd have is a Tower Defence game., and could easily have it so your Cards / Pieces upgrade between each Level... but you've also combined it with a TCG and Chess., plus some vibes of Plants Vs Zombies in there.
It'd be within the Restrictive Rules; and be quite creative.

I mean, it's just a back-of-a-napkin concept., it'd need to be fleshed out more to be a game, but you get the point.
Restrictions don't squash Creativity... you do, by thinking the restrictions prevent it.
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2021 16:46
@ Raven. I like some of those examples in the video. The player is much more involved so perhaps a little adrenaline gets flowing.

I'm planning doing a 3D under water version so I'm making a few models including a shark. Maybe that can add a Jaws vibe
although I might go with cartoon-ish graphics so nothing too scary. Texturing would be much easier too.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2021 19:14
I wanted to add elements of resource gathering for paying for the defenses, but then I feel like it turns into more of an RTS
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2021 21:05
Count me in.
As an beginner right ?

My entry will be more of an open map TD where you kinda block the way or build mazes
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2021 21:23
Looking good janbo. Is that A* or some custom pathfinding?
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2021 21:44 Edited at: 11th Nov 2021 21:52
Looks like "Flow Field" to me

Quote: "but then I feel like it turns into more of an RTS"

TD already has elements of RTS just very simplified, go for it, I am!

Janbos looks a bit RTS like too (your meant to control the towers, not the troops)
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2021 00:41 Edited at: 12th Nov 2021 00:56
Never knew the actual Name of the pathfinding method.
Its just a step away from A* and A* is basically a fancy breadth first search...sooo...yeah looks like its actually called Flow field ^^

By the way thats also how you calculate light level in minecraft Worlds

@PartTIMECoder: nice idea maybe i let the PC controll the Towers
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2021 00:54
Yeah Flow Field is slightly more CPU intensive than A* but the benefit is you generate the field once and any entity on the map can use it without a regen, for a single target anyway, A* needs a path for each entity, on a map with more entity's than targets Flow Field is the way to go for sure

Quote: "let the PC controll the Towers"

Ah, player be the aggressor, I like that idea....

I did play a TD years ago that had a 2 player element to it, both have a base and use towers to expand into the others territory (with tanks and troops as well), that can work and fits the genre
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2021 01:14 Edited at: 12th Nov 2021 01:15
Quote: "I did play a TD years ago that had a 2 player element to it"

THAT's what i'm hoping for in my current go-to time killer. i'm in contact with the developer so, maybe someday

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:56:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:56:31