Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Infection [TD]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 12:21 Edited at: 26th Jan 2022 14:50

Published on Itch.io

As a judge, I'm not eligible for any of the prizes but I feel like I'm missing out by not taking part.
So here is the start of my TD game Infection.

It's set inside the body. Viruses swim through your blood stream and you must destroy them with strategically placed nano-machines or by calling in extra white blood cells.

Right now it's just a stress test. A closed loop with multiple paths and 600 red blood cells swimming through the veins.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2021 19:58 Edited at: 25th Nov 2021 19:59
this is gonna be interesting, scraggle. good start.

meanwhile, there's obvious opportunity to recycle some the code after the comp for a follow-up "Adrenaline Rush!" 2D Racing game so keep that in mind?
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2021 14:58 Edited at: 27th Nov 2021 08:41
Thanks VN,
I have been thinking about writing a 2D racer for a while, something like Super Skidmarks on the Amiga. So maybe that could be a future project.
Meanwhile, here's small update showing the first real level and some updated graphics (all from one of our big sponsors: )

And a mock-up showing available towers:

Attachments

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2021 23:24
WOW! That looks lovely
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2021 09:45
Instinctively, I feel I should thank you for your comment but I'm not responsible for the graphics at all. I'm jut bringing them to life
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2021 15:24 Edited at: 27th Nov 2021 15:25
looks like fun.

I would love to see Osmosis Jones running around lol.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2021 10:17 Edited at: 30th Nov 2021 10:19

It's very early days.
There's only one level, one enemy type, two tower types and zero UI but it's getting there
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2021 16:53 Edited at: 6th Dec 2021 16:54
New video.
6 stylesof Tower
3 styles of Virus
1 level

Still lots of tweaking to do.
Most of the towers are very over-powered
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2021 17:13
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2021 19:13
Very nice. Loving the effects and different towers
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2021 11:28
Latest screenie:

The enemies are all being assigned random colours at the moment until I can decide which ones work best.
Feel free to drop in with your suggestions
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2021 16:14
the colors look great as does all of the GDS artwork.

addition of cholesterol build-up noted

suggestion1: rhythmic pulse vs steady stream (just to make your job harder)

suggestion2: blood-thinners and coagulants (+heat & ice packs). i know the focus is "infection" but there is so much you can do in this "setting"

suggestion3: demo

all smiles from me. thanks for the update!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2021 10:54 Edited at: 14th Dec 2021 10:55
Thanks for the feedback

Suggestion 1: I'm not sure about that. I think it might work if it was synced to a heartbeat sound but as soon as the player mutes the audio, then I think it would look more like the graphics were glitching than moving with the pulse of a heartbeat.

Suggestion 2: I presume the result would be to increase or reduce the flow rate of blood and viruses, right? That would be easy enough to do in code, but I don't know how to implement that from a game-play point of view. Does the user select them? Do they happen randomly? How? Why?

Suggestion 3: Eventually

There's still no UI. Right now I place towers by clicking their initial letter on the keyboard and the tower appears at the mouse position. I also have a few bugs that are bugging me! For example, The "Cutter Tower" occasionally, but not always, has the spinning blades drift away from the end of the cable and I can't figure out why.
My level building system is fully functional now so it's quick and easy to build new levels and waves. There's still a lot of tweaking of the difficulty to try to balance but I think that is something that will always be flexible. Long after a tower defence game is released they still have updates to tweak the balance but I have to get it close to right at least!
I'm considering creating a GUI with sliders to adjust the balance of everything but that will push me beyond the deadline for the compo. Not too much of an issue for me since I'm not eligible for any prizes but I'd still like to have something ready for it.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2021 15:20 Edited at: 14th Dec 2021 15:22
i expect the speed would already increase gradually over time (as the infection lingers or viruses mutate or new ones are introduced) as a level progression notion.

otherwise, maybe implement an "efficiency in battling the virus" notion where, if the player is treating the infection "promptly" the spread would be slower vs lagging behind whatever you decide as a threshold which would trigger increased "spread" rate. it could be subtle but if infections aren't contended with ASAP, they spread like wildfire (i learned this first hand earlier this year - i should have taken notes for a game when i was in the hospital for 8 days... ).
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2022 21:56 Edited at: 10th Jan 2022 22:19
Just a few screenies to show progress:

As you might be able to see - I've put a caveat into the "about" menu so that I can keep adding levels to make it more of a complete game

Attachments

Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
I think this is a brilliant idea for a game and should be sold after it is a complete game. I believe this would be very popular because it is different and new.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2022 02:09
looking good, scraggle. i'm still waiting for a video (especially since i know you have (1) sound for it, now)
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2022 07:50 Edited at: 11th Jan 2022 08:50
Quote: "i know you have (1) sound for it, now"

2 sounds now I have a "bad" sound for clicking where you shouldn't and a heartbeat. The heartbeat is pretty cool - It starts off slow and quiet but increase in speed and volume as your health decreases .
And two pieces of (crappy) music

Hang on then, I'll put a video together now. I'll use my debug mode to falsely increase the number of viruses just to make it more interesting. I also falsely increase the amount of money you have so that I can build anything

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2022 13:08
that's pro stuff, scraggle. thanks for the vid. it was worth the wait
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2022 06:38
Superb stuff
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 12th Jan 2022 09:28
That looks great Scraggle "So infections run rampant through the blood stream and the player plays master/ruler where they destroy the infections mutating through the body as an outside entity, and if they fail the body is destroyed/game over"
great concept, artwork is great, and a fantastic way of displaying a defense game similiar to covid-19. I like it and sure it would do really well if you could market correctly.GOODLUCK
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2022 09:44
Thanks for all the comments.
It is my intention to release the game once it is complete but marketing is definitely not my area of expertise!
But I'll put it out there and see what happens.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "marketing is definitely not my area of expertise!"

In this day it has nothing to do with marketing more then popularity.

if I can get two very popular people on Facebook and YouTube to play it and share it then that is all this game needs.

Make it cute and funny and then it will be very popular.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2022 14:47 Edited at: 26th Jan 2022 14:52

Published on Itch.io

There are some known bugs and there's a lot I still want to add but I wanted to get something out there before deadline.
Once again, I reiterate that I am a judge of this competition and therefore ineligible for any prizes but it was fun taking part.

I intend to complete the game and publish it for mobile devices at a later date so I would really appreciate any feedback (+ or -) and any bug reports, suggestions, or comments.

There's currently no instructions and no tutorial.
I will add some instructions to the top post later today/this week but it's pretty straight forward. There's a lot going on that you might not notice though.

Also, I would encourage multiple plays because there are many fun(?) game over animations.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2022 07:35
Excellent stuff

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 13:53:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 13:53:50