Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Studio Version 2022.12.12

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 00:51
I've uploaded a new version to Steam and the TGC downloads area with the following changes

- Exported Amazon APKs now target API 31 (Android 12)
- Fixed Alt key combinations causing a system sound on Windows
- Fixed APK export causing a warning in google Play about the billing library version
- Fixed InAppPurchaseSetup failing unless both a normal and subscription product are added
- Fixed IndexOf when used on arrays of types
- Fixed JSON parser not decoding \u characters
- Fixed apps including the User Tracking description when it isn't used, causing rejections by Apple
- Fixed Chartboost not setting the COPPA restrictions if SetAdMobChildRating is set
- Fixed AdMob not setting MaxAdContentRating if SetAdMobChildRating is set
- Added VSCode extension to allow compiling, running, and broadcaster for VSCode

It is slightly delayed from its intended release date of 12th Dec due to a code signing issue, but we managed to get it out before Christmas!

The VSCode extension can be installed using the vsix file located in the VSCode folder in your AppGameKit Studio install folder. Then in the extension settings set the AppGameKit Path setting to the folder where you installed AppGameKit Studio. E.g. "C:\Program Files\AGK Studio".

You can use the same shortcuts F5 (Run), F6 (Broadcast), F7 (Compile), and F8 (Debug) as the original AppGameKit IDE, however the debug option currently only runs the app, it does not provide any debugging features yet.

We intend to publish the VSCode extension to the market place in the near future.

Let me know if you have any problems
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 03:09 Edited at: 20th Dec 2022 04:13
nice, paul. thanks!

i've also noted the Player update made @ Google Play and the App Store.

oddly, neither Classic nor Studio auto-updated so launched both from Steam to receive the updates (maybe some setting changed on my end...).

meanwhile, i had a short experience with VSCode + AppGameKit prior to the release and i can see it becoming my go-to IDE if/when things like HTML/APK Export become part of the extension.

having never used VSCode, one of the best things i found was the Live Preview extension which allowed for viewing HTML Exports offline from within the IDE vs having to upload to the web to test as i've been doing (or installing xampp or the like which i never got around to).

also, the ability to drag and drop media from within the workspace and into the code, along with previewing images/sound (including ogg) and editing data files all within the IDE was very nice.

alas, without built-in Help & Syntax tooltips and the Intelli-sense not suggesting user Functions like i'm used to, it's tough going.,

worth noting for others not used to VSCode: be mindful of the fact that each F5, F6, etc, will launch an additional execution, broadcast, etc., and NOT close the previous instance as it does in Classic/Studio. this could be useful in some scenarios (like testing Comms with multiple clients, etc) but, if you're like me, old habits (and expectations) are hard to break.

meanwhile, i've confirmed and Closed:
Interpreter probably shouldn't beep when ALT+key is pressed in Windows
array.indexof can give incorrect results when used on type arrays using OP code & expected results.

i dont know enough about these but they seem to be ready for Close based on the notes above?
Can't submit to App Store for review because of NSUserTrackingUsageDescription
Chartboost commands don't seem to implement COPPA restrictions
Admob: setMaxAdContentRating?

thanks again, paul & TGC.

Happy Holidays, indeed!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 06:43 Edited at: 19th Jul 2023 16:34
paul,

i've put together a small set-up guide for the vsc extension but is there a way to start a New Project via a template main.agc like we're used to in studio/classic?

some of us are fumbling around, unsure of how to setup a new project. i can edit, create a workspace from an existing project (while unsure why i NEED a workspace?), etc, but with no prior vscode experience... i feel i'm missing something(s).

add, for me, the extension which ships with studio is found here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio\VSCode

you should be able to find yours similarly.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
psikoT
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, this is great. I use VSCode very often and love it.

Quote: "while unsure why i NEED a workspace?"

You usually can create a workspace by just opening the folder that contains all your project folders and save it as a workspace file. VSCode will remember it and keep that folder structure in the sidebar. That's useful if you use VSC for other purposes, as you can switch between workspaces quickly by just opening the workspace file.

However, I'm having trouble to run a project from a workspace created in that way. I had to manually add all my project folders to the workspace one by one. Still ok as I don't have many projects, but trying to add a folder that contains several project folders doesn't work.

Lorenzo
Years of Service
User Offline
unfortunately the playback sound causing stuttering/lag on android is not fixed.
W Red
Years of Service
User Offline
tell me what's the point ' VSCode extension'?
W.R
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 12:09 Edited at: 20th Dec 2022 12:32
It's just an alternative editor which some people may prefer.

@virual nomad, thanks for the guide, I'll give it a go.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 18:04 Edited at: 20th Dec 2022 18:04
I have an issue with using an exported APK from Studio on a mobile device. If I run a game and then press the power button to lock the phone and then press it again to unlock it I find that the game has crashed/stopped running so I cannot resume play. If I export the APK using Classic the game is still running when I unlock the mobile so play can be resumed. Can anyone confirm this please. I don't normally use Studio so this may be a feature or a bug that has been there for quite some time.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 18:15
just a guess, zaxxan, but are you using the same export permissions on both exports? ie, i wonder if "wake lock" or similar is involved with your issue. meanwhile, might be better to start a thread for the issue where i'm not sure its related to this update? unless you are.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 18:52 Edited at: 20th Jan 2023 09:43
I've tried with wake lock enabled and disabled and it still crashes, there is a 'stopped responding' message displayed briefly but it disappears before I have chance to read it. I will try an older version of Studio to confirm if it is a new issue or not.

Update: I have reinstalled the June 22 Windows version of Studio and the APK export does not crash after unlocking the phone. This bug appears to have been introduced in the September 22 update and still exists in this new update. Unfortunately both the Classic and Studio updates since September are both broken for me and I can no longer export any APK's which means I can no longer update my Google Play apps using the latest versions so this is is a bit of a disaster.

Paul, I would appreciate it if you would fix these issues ASAP please. Thank you.
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 19:42
Paul Johnston wrote: "- Added VSCode extension to allow compiling, running, and broadcaster for VSCode"

Yes, I think this is the right way. I'm looking forward to this plugin being expanded even further.
Debugging, export to Android, Html and Mac, project generation, maybe even a media viewer / selector.

In any case, I'm looking forward to it.
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)

Donations are always welcome.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Paul.

I can also confirm that the framerate stuttering with sound playback on Android continues.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 20:55
Quote: "maybe even a media viewer / selector."

i installed the Live Preview extension immediately so i dont know if it was there natively but i can preview most files (images, sounds, and edit txt.data files, etc) in the IDE itself as well has run HTML exports. you can also drag and drop files from the Explorer pane into the code editor (and use relative paths, etc).
MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 21:48
Quote: "i installed the Live Preview extension immediately so i dont know if it was there natively but i can preview most files (images, sounds, and edit txt.data files, etc) in the IDE itself as well has run HTML exports. you can also drag and drop files from the Explorer pane into the code editor (and use relative paths, etc)."

I had imagined something more like selecting from a media library.
The corresponding file should be copied into the media directory and the file name copied into the clipboard so that it only has to be pasted with [Ctrl]+[V].
Something like that.

Of course, this preview function is also a big step forward. I find it very good and useful in any case.
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)

Donations are always welcome.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 20th Dec 2022 21:55 Edited at: 20th Dec 2022 22:07
First of all thanks so much for the VSCode integration. I use this editor for absolutely everything else and I've always wished there would be a way to code in AppGameKit using this, that wish has finally come true! Haven't tested it on Mac but heard it didn't work properly there at the moment, so I will just say that I hope for Mac support in the future. Have access to a windows computer right now and it works great.

One thing though, I hope our own-made functions being suggested will be a future addition to the extension - because this is highly important.

Other tips for VSCode users:
For file templates, you can use this extension..it's not the best but it works. You can set it up by following the included instructions and creating an agk template. "AGK.agc" or something similar in the 'templates' folder, just make sure it starts with a capital letter (extension bug).

Add this to the top of the template for filename, date and author:
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2022 11:10
I've been using VSCode today, this new extension looks promising.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2022 12:06 Edited at: 21st Dec 2022 12:07
Copy the agksrc.json file into "AppData\Roaming\Code\User\snippets" for some standard snipped completions.
And maybe post your snippets, you think are usefull, too.

Attachments

Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2022 14:38 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2022 14:39
Quote: "Added VSCode extension to allow compiling, running, and broadcaster for VSCode"

Any plans for a Mac version?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2022 12:23 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2023 20:57
With the last 2 updates (windows version) I have had a problem with my games crashing when a mobile Android device is unlocked. I have tracked this down to the CreateAd() command causing my games to crash.

I run the CreateAd() command once when the game is started so resuming a game after unlocking a device shouldn't cause a problem. If I rem the command out the game doesn't crash. I have added a variable which is incremented every time the CreateAd() command is run and this remains at 1 after unlocking the device. It appears that just having the CreateAd() command in my code causes the crash even though it is not run again after unlocking the device. This only happens on the Studio version, the Classic version is OK.

This bug occurs in an APK and when broadcasting.

Update: I've stopped using the CreateAdvert() command as it is an old command and probably best not being used.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello. Is it possible to enable AppGameKit Studio to use Geany instead?
Thank you.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2022 10:14 Edited at: 31st Dec 2022 11:36
I would say that's a definite no. Not sure why you would ask for this when the Classic version already uses Geany.

I think the focus is on using VS Code with Studio now.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2022 17:42 Edited at: 30th Dec 2022 18:52
prompted to test HTML Export in Studio by this post on steam and i'm now getting the same error since the update:

after reverting to V2022.09.26, copying the respective HTML folders into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio\media\data\html5 and then updating to 2022.12.12 and exports are successful. 2D and 3D exports (non-dynamic) running fine.

folders attached until we get an official fix.

issue reported @ the repo.

Attachments

kozma_11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2023 19:42
Hi,

With the latest update (2022.12.12) I released an update to my app (Party Darts Scorer) for some minor issues, not relating to In-App Purchases. This is the first time I've updated this app in over a year. I didn't have any problems with compiling the IPA file and submitting to App Store. However, I started getting emails from users, saying that the In-App purchases wasn't working. The app has a single IAP for unlocking more players (it's a dart scoring app). I hadn't touched the code for any of the IAP features so didn't understand why it wasn't working. I thought it might have been an App Store issue where I had to reconnect the IAP or something, tried a few things but it didn't make a difference. So I reverted to the June version of App Game Kit Studio and created the IPA and it now works fine again.

Makes me think the issue is with InAppPurchaseSetup - the previous bug 'InAppPurchaseSetup failing unless both a normal and subscription product are added' problem. It doesn't seem to be fixed in 2022.12.12 version? Would appreciate if someone could take a look for the next version, would be good to stop reverting back to previous versions for creating IPA files.

I'm on Mac OS Big Sur.

Thanks,
John

El Presidente
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2023 10:57
The "'InAppPurchaseSetup failing unless both a normal and subscription product are added" problem only affected Android.

I can't see any problems with IAP on iOS here, what happens when you try to purchase?

If you modify the InAppPurchase example project that comes with AppGameKit to use your app's bundle ID and IAP identifiers are you able to purchase it using that?
kozma_11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2023 17:08
Hi Paul,

Thanks, I've played about with it and got it working again. Not entirely sure what I've changed but seems to be working now! I must have changed something for it to work before I'd compiled it with June's version as it's now working using the latest update.

What I did notice today through testing the app through a lot of compiling and running through TestFlight, was the InAppPurchaseResetPurchase() command seems to only work during that session, but doesn't work after the app has been closed and re-opened.

In my app I have a section that deals with the singe non-consumable IAP. On first running the app, it works fine and purchases the IAP. I have added this reset line before it accesses the IAP section of the app:

If still in the same session and select to go the INAPP section, it works fine, reseting the purchase before going to INAPP section and allows me to re-purchase. However, if I close the app after purchase and restart the app, I get stuck in the Do Loop above as the reset doesn't seem to work as the message always returns '4' for the IAP state. Is this correct operation? Maybe something with the token ID using TestFlight?

Thanks,
John
El Presidente
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2023 16:37
Any idea if these may be fixed in the next update? Sadly I need both of these for my next game waiting to be published.

21st Oct 2022 - SetSoundInstanceBalance not working on Android (on GitHub)

1st Oct 2022 - Touch not immediately detected at top and bottom of screen on iOS (on GitHub)

Thanks.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2023 05:14 Edited at: 16th Jan 2023 14:42
@ Zappo, My advice would be to contact TGC direct via this link as they don't seem to reply on the forums very often and the bugs reports on GitHub are largely ignored as well in my experience.

https://www.thegamecreators.com/contact
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2023 19:39 Edited at: 18th Jan 2023 06:36
@all,

i know how these release threads are sometimes used to inquire about things that are unrelated to the current update itself (ie, off topic) but if the focus can be kept on feedback, question, etc, related to the update itself, it would be ideal.

i'm happy to unlock threads upon request (PM or discord) regarding known issues that seem to have gone stale to help keep things organized if there is something to add to a given topic (especially work-arounds or solutions or progress toward one) but general "bumps" in any form are counter-productive in the overall so please keep that in mind.

with that, if anyone can confirm these fixes, that would be great so those Issues can be Closed:
Can't submit to App Store for review because of NSUserTrackingUsageDescription
Chartboost commands don't seem to implement COPPA restrictions
Admob: setMaxAdContentRating?

psikoT wrote: "VSCode will remember it and keep that folder structure in the sidebar."

thanks. i'm new to VSCode and that helps me understand.

ReFure wrote: " I hope our own-made functions being suggested will be a future addition"

i've just got my hands on an updated extension and it's in there, along with a couple of other "essentials". stay tuned

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 15:34:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 15:34:14