Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [LOCKED] Its that time of year again (Google moving the goal posts)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2023 20:48
I got this from Google today about the apps I have on GooglePlay.

At present AppGameKit targets API 31 maximum is there way of adjusting it to target API 33?
-EdzUp
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/EdzUp
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2023 20:59
Received the same message from Google for all my apps on GooglePlay

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
dandrews
Years of Service
User Offline
same here, is there any news if this will be resolved?
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2023 00:01
Me too.
17 apps to update and republish in 12 days now.
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 19th Aug 2023 06:24 Edited at: 19th Aug 2023 07:06
Wow. Ok thanks letting me know.

So basically no matter what AGk still needs to be developed in some fashion even if it's to update these APIs.

I'll imagine that they are aware and an update will be with us shortly.

This has made me feel that it is still worth a go at getting Studio next year or when I'm able and that they cannot really dismiss these kind of issues especially when it's Google making us update our apps vis an updated studio with the new build APK compiler / exporter

I suppose we shall see what happens over next 2 week or so. Will an update come...

Yes - great - TGC are working away in the background and doing what they do best to bring us an amazing product. I must say that I can't think of any other product like it

no - start having doubts on AGk future

That's way I'm looking at it. But I'm sure that they will resolve this, even if it's just this.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2023 07:48
The issues is prevalent with studio as well as AppGameKit, I think on a developer point of view it would be appreciated if they actually did something now rather than later as we have to recompile everything and re upload to Google play when this happens every year.
-EdzUp
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 21st Aug 2023 07:26 Edited at: 21st Aug 2023 07:58
On the latest release the .AAB export is broken anyway so they would need to fix that first. I've just read on GitHub that a new release will be in a few days time so that's really good news.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2023 16:44 Edited at: 21st Aug 2023 16:46
In the meantime, i know there's a process to request an extension from google. TGC has made such a request on the AppGameKit Player and they now have ~10 weeks to update the app.

So, no need to sweat it just yet but TGC is aware and working on it.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 21st Aug 2023 17:10
I'd never actually thought about the AppGameKit player app needing to be updated. Orvillian has commented on GitHub so hopefully sorted in the next few days.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2023 22:00
I've just requested extensions on my apps on Google Play ( waiting for SDK ), and they have all been approved right away.

PSY LABS Games
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2023 13:53
orvillion wrote: "I have published four apps today with and without adverts and all is working well. In the event you use adverts you will need to tick the new permission for the advertising ID in the export dialog. You will also need to update your data safety declaration form inside the Play Console..

Not much left to do and then a Windows update will be available through TGC and Steam tomorrow. All being well a Mac version will also be released."
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2023 12:54
After being told there was a update to Studio I did the update but it still targets API 31 max and after compiling a 'aab' and a 'apk' with it Google still has the warnings with the new versions.

Is there another update due?
-EdzUp
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2023 16:59 Edited at: 24th Aug 2023 17:02
@EdzUp check the release details with the new export you made. It should show something similar to the attached. Are you not seeing this?

A warning won't disappear on your account until you publish the update to production and even then it will take a few hours to disappear.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2023 17:27 Edited at: 24th Aug 2023 17:44

Google shows the correct target API (API 33) but when submitting I get

This says its still going to have issues after August 31st (or Nov 1st with extended deadline).

EDIT: I fixed it it apparently was a AdID console issue which the app never uses.

Could we have the exporter updated though as it still shows API31 on the exporter as the maximum API level?

This bit of the exporter
-EdzUp

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
@EdzUp Yes, I will update that to show API 33 in a few weeks time.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2023 19:57
Quote: "@EdzUp Yes, I will update that to show API 33 in a few weeks time."

-EdzUp
Bloodwire
Years of Service
User Offline
5 doys until my apps are pulled off of the google playstore. Is there a Steam update to AppGameKit coming?
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2023 08:58
Are they really pulling tens of thousands of apps because of old API?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes but you can ask for extending the deadline. It helps studying their emails they send out to developers and also studying the Android sdk docs.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2023 14:20
If you ask for a extension you will be ok till Nov 1st so hopefully TGC can get a patch out by then to allow everyone to update their apps.
-EdzUp
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2023 15:36
Where is best way to request the extension? I am not a fan of the Google Play Console interface. I just tried to submit through help but I am not sure its correct as I needed to included a screen grab.

Like honestly, did I miss something here and am supposed to know what these mean?
Automation on Steam now!
Score Table Jr. on Google Play!
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2023 20:44
Go to your Inbox, click on the deadline message, click on View details

PSY LABS Games
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2023 01:56
Thanks Psy!
Automation on Steam now!
Score Table Jr. on Google Play!
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2023 02:39
Welcome

PSY LABS Games
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2023 12:05
I rebuilt the "aab" package file for one of my apps using the newest version of AppGameKit Studio (2023.08.23a) with no problems and submitted it to the Google Play Store as a test. The target SDK version shows as "33" for me when Google analyses the package. I can confirm that it was accepted with no problems, and after a couple of days the new version of the app is now available in the store. The warning in Google Play Console about the app not adhering to Google Play Developer Programme Policies has gone. Looking good.

Thanks @Orvillian
Arch-Ok
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2023 15:41
I tried it now but It is not the case for agk classic yet.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 29th Aug 2023 17:42
Orvillian said it would be sometime in September for classic.
Arch-Ok
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2023 21:54
@Zaxxan thank you for the info.
qweQua
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 30th Aug 2023 10:39
What about the linux version of studio? I don't see a update to be downloaded, only on windows.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 30th Aug 2023 17:06 Edited at: 30th Aug 2023 17:08
Unfortunately Orvillian didn't mention the Linux update, he did say he would try and release a Mac update though. The updates are very sketchy these days.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 3rd Sep 2023 19:37 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2023 20:25
For those who are interested in what the future holds for AppGameKit Studio then have a listen to Lee's comments in this week's GameGuru Max broadcast at about 46 minutes 15 seconds where he gives an honest answer to the future of AppGameKit Studio.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
For future reference, the broadcast has the subtitle Custom Hands.
He talks about Community input regarding its source code. Was the Studio source released on GitHub as well like Classic was?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 4th Sep 2023 10:32
Not that I know of. It sounds like they are planning on releasing it like they did with dbpro. Let's hope they do it before the community has moved on to other things because of the lack of updates. Lee also mentions about getting it rock solid before it is 'finished'.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Rock solid in terms of Software means never. Even more so when you depend on 3rd party SDKs like Apple and Google.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 4th Sep 2023 15:41 Edited at: 4th Sep 2023 15:48
That maybe where the new guides that Lee mentioned come in so that the community can update the 3rd party sdk's themselves, that's just a guess though. It's really poor communication that this info comes from the gameguru broadcasts rather than communicated to the the AppGameKit community on here but at least Lee gives an honest answer when asked.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2023 19:40 Edited at: 4th Sep 2023 19:41
Quote: "He talks about Community input regarding its source code. Was the Studio source released on GitHub as well like Classic was?"

Wow, this is just the perfect example of what is the problem with AGK. "Opening up to community contrition but we make sure it is finished before we do that so don't hold your breath". He didn't say anything specific, it could mean anything. C++ SDK to develop plugins. C++ source like with Classic. Full source like with DBP. What is "before finish" even mean? Full stop of development TGC abandone it like they did with DBP or TGC continue to do bug fixes for Windows, Android, iOS only but Linux and Mac builds need to come from the community. Even then who is going to maintain it? Even if they open-source it, someone need to maintain the repo, merge pull request, share builds..etc. And then there is "don't hold your breath". Are we talking month or years even? I wish he didn't say anything at all just no, bug fixes only, move on to next question.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2023 00:10
That is unfortunate.I am curious as to what everyone will move onto?
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 5th Sep 2023 07:49 Edited at: 5th Sep 2023 08:37
For me, I first bought AGk classic as well as game guru back in the days. I started game guru and thought yikes this is complex, not much I can do from my mind, certain types of apps, not much coding/scripting.

Then I started AGk classic and started coding the way I want to code and thought yes this is for me - sorry Lee (the game guru king)

So I think AGk is the one for me, but if there is doubts on its future then Tier 2 and just code for fun instead of getting apps online to sell with admobs / pay per click ads.

The world of gaming these days are so advanced like with unity / unreal engine to develop a* games. And until I realise that then selling games for 0.50p or ÂŁ1 with no ads is better then nothing but it's not a life changer as it's a difficult world to get any higher than ÂŁ20 games or even ÂŁ10. We need a strong platform which is up there with the current completion of game engines.

So all these apps (AGk / game guru ) are for fun developments, not multi thousand pound projects - which as some what let me down

But for me too, I don't see myself as a game selling chap, I'd like to create tools for others to explore / adapt for their apps - so I'm the game engine enthusiast instead of a games creator. That's why I never seem to got any games done as yet.

Creating of a games engine requires skill with c++ / shaders, but we do have the foundation on how it's done with tier 2. And I suppose it be ok to use going forward if ones like to develop their own engines. Ok it will be disallowed to use the technique of TGC compiler, TGC interpreter and tgc Bytecode technique. But still a foundation on how games are all put together to create something.

My thoughts anyway
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That is unfortunate.I am curious as to what everyone will move onto?"

If someone from the community would be interested to maintain it for no profit, it could turn out to be great if TGC could share the full source.

Otherwise there is not many alternatives if you prefer the BASIC syntax. Most alternatives are not actively developed either.

The one I can recommend for those who prefer BASIC is a Lua based framework or engine.
However building for mobile is going to be more complicated with any framework and engine than with AGK.

I really do hope if TGC make it open-source they do it the right way and we can keep it alive.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2023 09:46 Edited at: 5th Sep 2023 09:48
Quote: "We need a strong platform which is up there with the current completion of game engines."

@Aidan: I can only disagree with you here. Just till recently, I worked at a AAA mobile game studio as a side gig. Their super huge success didn't came from the likes of using Unity, UE, Godot or any other visual game dev tool.
It wasn't AppGameKit what they have used but something in the same ballpark.

BUT... and this would go for AppGameKit as well, you would need to build your own framework AROUND ANY game dev tool to support your games.
You would need to able to modify and build your tool from its sources so you don't depend on any 3rd party. You need to be able to implement 3rd party SDK changes yourself, etc etc.

@Zigi: Absolutely true. Putting something out in the wild doesn't mean that it will be picked up and will be maintained regulary. With the tool I am working on, we were all busy with our side/main jobs. Personally I have now more free time as mad gig I mentioned above is done so I can actively work more on it.

At the end, an app user doesn't care and mostly don't notice which tool you have created your app with.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2023 05:00
Making something open source does tend to give the idea that it's at its end of life and has been released to see if someone else takes it up and keeps it maintained, this isn't always the case loads of things have faded into obscurity and are just small mentions on GitHub etc.

Another thing is these days there is a LOT of distrust on the internet with good reason so a recompiled version will be met with suspicion incase it contains something else than the intended product.

I hope TGC doesnt drop AppGameKit for game makers as this would be a bad move for a lot of us here.
-EdzUp
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline

Quote: "I hope TGC doesnt drop AppGameKit for game makers as this would be a bad move for a lot of us here."

TGC was open about the fact the only way forward was to introduce a subscription model and TGC was ready to discuss the terms in the open but the community got furious over the idea of a subscription model so badly a bunch of people had to be banned. Since TGC stopped interacting with the community completely and stopped communication about AppGameKit completely and I don't personally blame them.

In worst case scenario I do hope TGC continue to maintain the C++ SDK and runtime at least, but everything else including the IDE, Tier1 need to be compiled and maintained by the community. So no more AGKPlayer, no more IDE for Linux, macOS, maybe for Windows only or not even that just the C++ SDK and runtime and that's it. Tier1, IDE and AGKPlayer is open-sourced and you need to build it your self if you want to use it.

In best case scenario I do hope TGC continue to maintain it as is but full source is available and TGC is open to contribution. But C++ source of classic is available and I don't see lot of community contributions so not sure if it is going to make any difference.

Maybe the ultimate solution would be if TGC open-sourced it and Paul would be interested to fork it and release it as his own product. When he took the development over from Lee, he was very excited and he told it was always his dream to develop his very own game engine and he did an excellent job with AGK2 and the Vulkan renderer. He would totally deserve it to be allowed to fork AppGameKit and re-distribute it as his own. If he is interested. I don't know if he is.

In any case I am so sorry there is so much uncertainty around the future of AGK.
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2023 17:14
Quote: "I hope TGC doesnt drop AppGameKit for game makers as this would be a bad move for a lot of us here."

I couldn't agree more. I think there is a misconception about people wanting an easy game builder. This might be what people say, but those people rarely finish games, release them or make ones of good enough quality to sell. They say they want an easy game maker because they can't be bothered to spend the time learning to build their own, but when it comes to the crunch they don't follow through. It still turns out to be too much work for them. The difference with programmers is that they are used to sticking with it, learning and improving their skills over time, and building things from scratch. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone but in my experience, this happens more often than not.

With the publicized problems with Unity at the moment over the sudden introduction of royalties, now would be an ideal time for the "royalty free" AppGameKit to be pushed by everyone. There are so many small studios and independent developers crying out for an alternative to Unity as they can no longer trust them not to change the rules at any point in the future. It would be a great time to promote AppGameKit online and bring in a fresh bunch of users. This includes promotion by TGC and all of us users. My problem with this is that we just don't know if TGC will continue support for AppGameKit so I am reluctant to promote it online if they are about to kill it. We need to know it will continue and at least the bugs will be fixed. I would then be happy to advertise it and drum up some interest as I am sure many others would too.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2023 21:15 Edited at: 16th Sep 2023 21:22
Quote: "With the publicized problems with Unity at the moment over the sudden introduction of royalties, now would be an ideal time for the "royalty free" AppGameKit to be pushed by everyone."

If TGC continued to improve and develop the Studio IDE and Editor, yes it would be perfect timing considering the fact I find it interesting Epic didn't fight back as they did last time. Maybe even Epic is considering something like that to charge people for publishing in stores outside the Epic Store.

Unfortunately TGC treated the Studio Editor as a test to see if the Editor on its own make it more popular. It didn't because the Studio Editor did not stand out with any features and TGC didn't use any more resources to change that. Early days of Studio I have submitted many bug reports/suggestions and not a single one of them was worked on. TGC decided to focus their resources on GG Max instead of Studio. Despite that, not even GG Max is a good Unity alternative in my opinion, it is also lack many features not to mention the fact it is Windows only with the system requirements that rival Unreal without any of the benefit and advantages of Unreal.

If TGC took the risk and focus on Studio instead of GG Max and develop an FPS engine in Studio instead of Max, it could have been a real game changer and right now we would have a cross-platform general purpose dev tool that fit both coders and visual game makers, designers.

But it didn't happened and I'm afraid if TGC doesn't have anything in the oven right now either a cross-platform engine for Max or more advanced editor and IDE for AppGameKit, they have missed this train.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2023 03:57
I do agree I would like to continue using AGKStudio for future projects but the whole feeling of TGC are abandoning the language for GGMax doesnt sit right. I have used C++ in the past to develop games so may end up going back to that in he end if there is no clarification on the whole issue.
-EdzUp
Motiejus
User Offline
I'm brand new to AppGameKit (recently bought AppGameKit Studio on Steam) and so far I like what I see. I don't know anything about all the "subscription" talk that was mentioned above, so I'm not sure which various business models were floated. As a customer I'd much prefer something along the lines of a one-time purchase ($99 seems reasonable), and you get any new versions that come out for the next 365 days.
So maybe end up paying $99 per year to always stay current, but can stop at any time and keep using what you've got.
But to be honest I might be open to other models as well (as long as it doesn't resemble what Unity is doing).

I really like AppGameKit so far and really hope they keep working on it. I'll gladly buy the new version each year if they do. In my little experience with it so far, my only two wishes would be:
1) targeting a higher Android API to keep Google Play Store happy
2) supporting more variable types in Tier 1 Basic scripting language, like 64 bit integers and floats.

The only reason I came to this forum was to read all the outrage about Unity and hoping to see a revived interest in AppGameKit, and now I'm outraged to find that there's almost no talk about it.
I've published four simple games to the Google Play Store that I wrote in Unity. I've always hated working in Unity and have been looking for any excuse to switch to something else. When Unity changed their fee structure a few days ago that was the final straw, so here I am with AGK. Let's all hope that they keep working on AGK. I'm sure many of us are willing to part with some more money to see that happen.
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 17th Sep 2023 07:22 Edited at: 17th Sep 2023 07:24
I feel a subscription model is good, as long as it doesn't go into the thousands per year like some of the other game engines.

How does TGC make money or even pay their developers when they sell studio at a few hundred quid as a one off fee and then for life to get free updates with great tools / commands - do we think that this is worth it to tgc?

I certainly would also think about subscriptions, even if it's just a few hundred a year.

Have to think in their shoes.

Other game engines they talk into the hundreds of thousands per year.

We have to either support them or we don't
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have used C++ in the past to develop games so may end up going back to that in he end if there is no clarification on the whole issue."

Yes I feel like if you want to avoid royalties and make sure you are always up to date, you have to use a lower level language like C++. Every single API being either BASIC, Lua, Python, JavaScript, C# or a custom language even if open-source has to be maintained by someone else for you and you have to wait for the maintenance.
If it's just a hobby, you are having fun it is fine but if you want to get serious about it, start a business, C++ and the ability to build everything from scratch is a must have.

Of course there are some good and actively developed C#, JavaScript and Lua alternatives out there but there is a chance they end up just like AppGameKit or Unity so the ability to build from source with a permissive license is a must have.

I feel so sorry for the many Unity developers dived in to Unity up to their neck and now they can't get out of it because all their tools, resources are heavily integrated in to Unity, in some cases it could require years to port their games and tools over to any other engine or language. The idea to pay millions of $$$ to Unity because you have published a game 5 years ago and it was downloaded thousands of times is insane. I find it very suspicious Epic is not commenting on this. I am certain Epic is also thinking about it to force developers to publish in the Epic Store only.

Quote: "I don't know anything about all the "subscription" talk that was mentioned above, so I'm not sure which various business models were floated. As a customer I'd much prefer something along the lines of a one-time purchase ($99 seems reasonable), and you get any new versions that come out for the next 365 days.
So maybe end up paying $99 per year to always stay current, but can stop at any time and keep using what you've got."

It was discussed when Studio was released. Years ago. TGC was straight about it. Rick did come to the forum and announced TGC can no longer afford to release free updates. I was proposing many different models including a Tier system where the core SDK would be free but the editors, mobile platforms and AGKPlayer would cost a monthly fee and yes if you stop paying you get to keep the version you have, essentially you pay for updates only. But the way some people reacted was straight disgusting, personal insults was flying all over the place, many people had to be banned and TGC never mentioned subscription ever again. TGC just stopped communicating about AppGameKit completely.

I don't blame them and I'm so sorry about it. The community did force TGC in to a corner with no way out. TGC have tried everything but the community was extremely closed minden. I'm afraid this train is gone and TGC given up on AGK. No subscription model is coming, not for AppGameKit anyway. Maybe they consider it for Max.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sound like you also think that Unity pay runtime license fees for their lifetime installs which is a false statement. Every initial install over the threshold from January 1st is to be pay for once you hit the threshold regarding lifetime installs and revenue in the last 12 months.

But like you said, if you start a business, it becomes serious. You have to do a risk assessment. Which should include a scenario like we see now. Same goes for using UE5 or Godot. Same can happen with UE5 and Juan, the creator of Godot has at least posted twice in the Ed last 12-18 months that Godot development will significantly slow down if they can’t get enough donations. You put your faith and future of your business into their hands, hope that they make it somehow.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 11:10:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 11:10:38