Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What dlls do you need to distribute with your executables?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just want to show some folks what I've been working on but when I try to run the exe on another machine it says it the exe is configured wrong.

I'm guesses I need to distribute a DLL with it to get it to work.

I'm using VS2005 and everything works fine on my Vista machine. I tried to just run the exe on my XP machine and no dice.

Any help?
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 08:10
For DGDK.Net you need to distribute the DGDKSetup.exe file.

You can find it in the folder you installed DGDK.
You also have to make sure that he has latest DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/directx)

Using Dark GDK.NET
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you much I will try that ASAP! Sorry for the slow response!
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoops...sorry but do I need to do this with also with the C++ version of the DGDK?
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
Just want to show some folks what I've been working on but when I try to run the exe on another machine it says the exe is configured wrong.

I'm guessing I need to distribute a DLL with it to get it to work.

I'm using VS2005 and everything works fine on my Vista machine. I tried to just run the exe on my XP machine and no dice.

Any help?
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
edit: double posted somehow.

using GDK.C++
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't understand what is going on. The exes work on my machine but do not on others.

Either my VS project settings are incorrect when I build the exe or I need to distribute something with the exes in order to have them run on other machines.

Could someone help me with this?

P.S. I REALLY don't understand why I would need to distribute anything with the exes I make with DGDK.C++ as from what I gather the DGDK.C++ makes this unnecessary as much DBPro does. If I got that wrong what do I need to do?

If it's not DGDK.C++ then what do I need to tell VS to do and how?

Help...pretty please?

using GDK.C++
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 15:15
Good point, are there any formal documentation on how to distribute your applicaitons written in the DarkGDK.Net?
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Good point, are there any formal documentation on how to distribute your applicaitons written in the DarkGDK.Net?"

Yes there is I believe it's one of the stickied threads...not sure if that's formal enough for you. However what I say below may or may not be helpful to you

----

As for me I figured out what was wrong. It has nothing to do with the DGDK.C++

It's just that some DLLs need to be distributed with the app I made.

I discover what DLLs I needed to distribute with a tool included with VS2005 called "Depenendcy Walker" found in ../Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/Tools. I can't remember if the default path but that it shouldn't be hard to find.

When I loaded the tool I told it to open my app and then I told it to profile it for dependencies. I got easier to see what DLLs I need after I turn of some of the extraneous loggin it does...and I guessed only the MSVC wasn't include with any windows installation.

Turned out to be MSVCP80.dll and the MSVCR80.dll.

After the discovery I created a new "Setup and Deployment" solution , added my exe to it, my media files, the dlls and merge modules and had it make me an installer. Remember when you try to add the DLL whatever the merge module VS tries to swap it out for you for. You need both the DLL and the merge module for the installer to be built correctly.

I also discovered that the installer wanted to use the x86_64 varieties of things instead of the x86 versions. I added both once and then just the x86 stuff. Both attempts turned out ok.

Well anyhow the installer is what I'll use from now on to distribute my games.

Take care

Hopefully you can do something similar with the .NET runtime you're supposed to need.

using GDK.C++
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 20:38
How are you managing your media?
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
Easy!

Since this is something of a first go one the DGDK I just created some directories in and stuck my media in them uncompressed (beyond formats which are natively compressed). I just let the .msi handle it from there this round.

In the future when I need it I'll just use standard pak files. If I need something better I guess I could write in some decompression routines into my loader and decompress thing during a load screen.

For right now while I'm still exploring just letting the .msi visual studio generates handle it is fine enough.

I wonder if NullSoft's installer has some free compression tool with it? Might be worth checking them out.

Take care.

using DGDK.C++
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 23:25
Good to see you fixed the problem.
Otherwise, try this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&DisplayLang=en

Quote: "Hopefully you can do something similar with the .NET runtime you're supposed to need."

With DGDK.NET, all you need to do is install DirectX latest version and then redistribute the DGDKSetup.exe i mentioned earlier.

Using Dark GDK.NET
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks!

I actually saw that option was available to me, but didn't bite. I'll have another look because as it might be easier on me and others in the long run to take advantage of it.

Thanks again!

using DGDK.C++

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:01:33
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:01:33