Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK.NET and the monthly newsletter

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 21:08
As we all know, the newsletter that TGC send out each month, can contain a plathora of useful information, tutorials, links to new and exciting developments etc. So, it was put to me recently that the newsletter should be used for showing off articles that are related to the DGDK.NET. The idea here is that this would be an excellent opportunity for showing off simple tutorials on doing a particular things with the toolkit.

I wanted to hear from the community on whether they would be happy with this idea, and maybe suggest a list of things that would benefit a good tutorial? I'm considering the idea of writing these snipbits, or if anybody wishes to contribute towards the newsletter, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

As with the current newsletter, there are tutorials being provided for DarkBASIC Professional, and FPSC iirc. Anyway, tell me your thoughts!! Don't hold back, don't be coy, just.... post your thoughts .

Cheers all.

Paul.

Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 21:25
A few things someone new to the DGDK.Net would be similar to someone new to DBPro, snippets in both VB.Net 2003, C# 2003, (or 2005) that handle a base character loading in, running through animation sequences, perspective camera movement, amongst some other simple things.

Then there are the "Go from point A to point B" articles, which takes a person from loading an image map to using it in the simplest of form using the 2d engine.

Articles about the WIP of users on the forums, which spotlight what they are doing and what tools they are using to get it done.

A section with updated direction of the DGDK.Net API, which includes some recent revision history information, along with up and coming changes to look forward to.

Finally, something telling all those who own Both the DGDK and DBPro, what modules are being ported (ezrotate, physics, etc.) and when or what they should expect when those conversions are done (for example, I own a plethera of those modules)
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 21:40
Example:

In this article, we have a donated XML generator from Zumwalt that allows you to save any errors that occur during the running of your application to an external XML file that can be sent to the creator of the application (yourself) for review.

Steps to add this module to your projects (for VB.Net 2003), are very simple:

1) Right Click your project, then click on Add Module
2) Name the module "modShared" (your filename should show modShared.vb)
3) Paste the code in this article to your module.
4) Anywhere that you want to log the error in your application, simpley pass in as follows:

Try
Catch ex As Exception
LogError("MyClass.MyMethod()", Now.ToString, ex.ToString)
End Try

The MyClass is either the module or class that the error happened in, and the MyMethod is the calling function or sub that the error happed on.

Now, when someone states they are having a problem, they can zip up the Log folder that will exist in the game folder, that will contain a file called ErrorLog.XML

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 21:48 Edited at: 15th Feb 2007 21:50
It's DGDK.NET Tutorials I'm interested in, not fundamental programming concepts of .NET in general. But it's a good start

Also, I have to consider tutorial sizes as well, otherwise it will bloat the newsletter beyond management, and this is not acceptable. I'm after ideas and tutorials specific to doing simple things like, moving sprites, loading images, making limbed models etc. Things that are simple, and yet attractive, specially for people who have not actually bought the toolkit yet.

Paul.

Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 21:57
How many lines do you want the tutorials limted to?
How many code lines do you want the examples limited to?
What do you consider "bloated"
(most people don't have a good troubleshooting module created )
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 01:33
Here is a code snipped to add to the modShared, with these functions you can save a screen shot from within your game.
Just choose the scancode to trigger it and run the ScreenGrab Sub
It will plop a jpg of the screenshot into your same directory as your game binary.

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 15:50 Edited at: 16th Feb 2007 16:59
You could maybe use this Visual Studio C# Express project template.

To use it:
1) Save it in MyDocumentsVisual Studio 2005TemplatesProjectTemplates
2) Start up VS2005 C# Express and choose "DGDK Application" near bottom.
[modedit]
3) Ensure that you modify your project's version information, naming it with properly identifiable information
[/modedit]
4) Imediately click "save all" and save your project somewhere. Rebuild project (F6).
5) Start the authenticator and use it on the projectbinrelease*.exe file
6) Copy authentication string into the initializeDGDK method.
Your project should be able to compile and run now.

Using Dark GDK.NET

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 20:42
This code is used to move your character around in a FPS type environment. Its pretty simple and straight forward, you could create properties for the speed and such, but this is a good start.

Simplified Use:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:18:13
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:18:13