Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / I want to learn c++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 04:26
I really want to learn C++ express. I have c++ 6.0, and have used it to make basic windows apps, using the gdi. The point here is I now have C++ express. I really would like a tutorial on how to get a basic app up and running, nothing fancy, just something that I can build on. I want a blank project, That I can just mess around with.

Any help here would be great. Thank you.
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 04:32
c++ is c++
There really isn't much different beteen vc6 and .net
You can literally take your code from vb6 and probably just compile it in .net if you want.

There are a billion example applications that come with c++ express, you might want to start there, since they even include the "hello world" example.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 17:20
If you're planning to move VC6 code over to the C++ express version, you will also need to install the PlatformSDK. Visual C++ Express does not come with PSDK, and therefore, natively written applications will not compile. The PSDK provides all the libraries and header files necessary to build native win32 applications, as well as the .NET functionality provided by the Express tools.

Paul.

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 21:27
where do i get the platform sdk? msn.com??? Im new to the whole express scene here. I've been using/learning vc6 for a few years now. Thank you.
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 06:54
I cant get any of my vs6.0 stuff working in express edition. I went followed the instructions, can someone help me I must be doing something wrong.

thank you
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 09:17
David, I'm assuming that you've installed the PlatformSDK, so I can only assume that you've not setup both the Include and Lib paths under Visual C++ Express so that your applications are picking up the right dependencies when compiling?

Paul.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "There really isn't much different beteen vc6 and .net
You can literally take your code from vb6 and probably just compile it in .net if you want."

Not really. I haven't used VB.Net that much but I am forced to use VB6 professionally every day, and let me tell you it's such a screwed (with a capital 'F') up little language when you want to use it in a really large project it just beggars belief.

Having used C# quite a bit and knowing the .Net framework, I just know that MS just had to do heavy root canal treatment on VB to make it a modern/palatable language. So, I'm pretty sure that things won't translate that seamlessly...

I have vague plans for World Domination
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 14:31 Edited at: 17th Feb 2007 14:33
miguel, zumwalt meant VC6, not vb6. the thread is discussing vc6, so I am assuming its a typo.

no one in their right mind would suggest vb6 code compiles and runs under .net lol. They are like night and day to each other

Michael Moore needs this film:Aaron Russo's America: Freedom To Fascism
RonPaul'08
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL... sorry, I really must get my eyes examined. You're right, now that I re-read the whole thread everyone is talking about VC here. Boy, do I feel like a spaz.

Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 18:52
Yea it was a typo, I was at work when I responded to the thread just trying to give him the link to the PlatformSDK so if he was trying to move forward with his code he could.

No way does vb6 translate in a copy/paste to vb.net, some methods / subs will, but NOT the entire project.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No way does vb6 translate in a copy/paste to vb.net, some methods / subs will, but NOT the entire project."

I'm actually quite keen at taking a stab at VB.Net one of these days. I'm sure the syntax of "normal" code statements is similar if not equal to VB6 which is the good bit in the original.

What I am looking forward into VB.Net is a real class model and expression short-circuiting (I know it's optional, but at least it's there!). I still need to find out if they changed default parameter passing to being By Value (defaulting to reference for everything is a major source of loads of bugs in VB6!) and if now everything is _really_ zero indexed or it's flip a coin like VB6...

scapino
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, default parameter are passed "by Value", in .net

Kurt

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 21:54
I have installed the platform SDK. And I have set the paths and done everything on the list from your link, but still I cant get a simple program to compile. I am only using the windows.h file, so I dont really see what the problem is, It is just creating a basic window.

any ideas here would be very helpful.

Thank you.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 22:15
Can you detail what the compiler problems are? We can't help unless you detail the specific errors.

Paul.

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 23:19
ok here you go

the compiler messages

1>------ Build started: Project: ch1p2_NormalWindow, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.cpp
1>Compiling manifest to resources...
1>Linking...
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DefWindowProcA@16 referenced in function "long __stdcall WindowProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WindowProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PostQuitMessage@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall WindowProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WindowProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ShowWindow@8 referenced in function "struct HWND__ * __cdecl InitWindow(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitWindow@@YAPAUHWND__@@PAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__MessageBoxA@16 referenced in function "struct HWND__ * __cdecl InitWindow(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitWindow@@YAPAUHWND__@@PAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateWindowExA@48 referenced in function "struct HWND__ * __cdecl InitWindow(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitWindow@@YAPAUHWND__@@PAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegisterClassExA@4 referenced in function "struct HWND__ * __cdecl InitWindow(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitWindow@@YAPAUHWND__@@PAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadCursorA@8 referenced in function "struct HWND__ * __cdecl InitWindow(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitWindow@@YAPAUHWND__@@PAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DispatchMessageA@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateMessage@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetMessageA@16 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PeekMessageA@20 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>.\Debug/ch1p2_NormalWindow.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 11 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\code\Special Effects\01 - Intro to Win32\Ch1p2_NormalWindow\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>ch1p2_NormalWindow - 12 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 23:20
here is the code

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 23:36
Ok, the problem here is that you're missing the lib files as part of your build. Can you add these to your linker's lib input list and see if the problem sortes itself out.

kernel32.lib
user32.lib
gdi32.lib
winspool.lib
comdlg32.lib
advapi32.lib
shell32.lib

Paul.

david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 00:58
I got the program to compile.

Now the next step is.

I want to be able to use direct X also.
How would I go about setting this up.

I have a book that teaches direct x,,,but here lies the problem its directX 8. So what do I have to do to make these programs work. Can I just link up directX 9 and have them work? I'm kinda lost as to backwards compatability among directX versions. I want to make my own "cube" just using directX.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank you
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 04:03
http://www.google.com/search?q=directx+with+c%2B%2B

This forum is designed for GDK.

Using Dark GDK.NET
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 05:07
thank you james bondo. I mainly posted here because I am going to be getting the gdk, but I want to be able to get c++ up and running, I dont quite yet understand how it all works together, so I am looking for refrences as to how it all works. Being that I am coming from vc++ I want to be able to use that knowledge and apply it to this.

So if anyone can point me into the direction of any good beginner tutorials, It would be great.

Thank you.
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 12:17
http://www.idleloop.com/tutorials/introC/usingVC.php

Try this, it seems like a beginners tutorial and its targeted for the C++ Express.

Using Dark GDK.NET
david w
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2007 06:51
Hey james bondo thanks for the link. This is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:18:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:18:50