Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Multiplayer Fix + How to host MP Games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 18:52
Multiplayer Fix + How to host MP Games

It is quite apparent that many people have been having problems trying to host games over the internet when they are connected from behind a router. There are two reasons for this: firstly, there was a problem with the FPSC game engine that would upload your private network IP to the lobby server, which is useless for any clients on the internet. Secondly, there wasn't really any information on the protocol/port you need to forward on your router.

I've fixed the first problem and attached the game engine EXE to this post. You switch between LAN/Internet mode by specifying it as a value for 'netmode' in setup.ini. For LAN games use netmode: lan, for internet games use netmode: internet. Something else I've added is text to say whether an IP in the game list is a LAN IP or an internet IP.

The second problem doesn't exist anymore, due to me putting the necessary information here. Anyone hosting behind a router will have to forward port 2303 for the UDP protocol to their PC, which is explained at portforward.com.

There is also another potential problem: firewalls. With some easy to use firewalls they will ask you if you want to allow the program to access the internet, in this case you click yes. If you do not understand how to configure it then disable it for the duration of the game. Note: If you are not connected to the internet from behind a router, do not disable your firewall, as it may pose a security risk.

I've tested this with two people and it worked flawlessly first time, so I am pretty sure that it'll work fine with everyone else as long as you follow this information correctly.

The EXE attached is modified from the build that came with DBP patch 6.3, so I'm hoping that it's the latest engine source.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 19:23
dude, is this from the V1 source, or later?

Whatever though, this is fantastic, thanks very much, I always hated the way some multiplayer levels would just "bug out"

Great contribution.

Many thanks

Butters

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 19:25
It is from the v1.01 source.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 21:26
So pretty much all we have to do is portforward 2303 and disable the firewall and it will work?

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 21:55
Quote: "So pretty much all we have to do is portforward 2303 and disable the firewall and it will work?"

Yes. It works in the official version also, but in my version you don't have to manually type the internet IP of the server.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 22:01
Very intresting Benjamin.but i dont got a router but A livebox wich is like a router...but isnt a router.

-Prince Of Darkness
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 22:53
Quote: "Very intresting Benjamin.but i dont got a router but A livebox wich is like a router...but isnt a router."

An Orange Livebox? It's a router/modem combo, at least if it's the same as what I have.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 10:14
No..Wannadoo livebox.Its different as hell.and there is no way around its security...as even opening all ports doesn't have effect.

-Prince Of Darkness
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 13:04
Quote: "No..Wannadoo livebox.Its different as hell.and there is no way around its security...as even opening all ports doesn't have effect."

Yes.. mine is still labelled as Wannadoo, but recently they changed their branding. I have no problems with its security; just make sure you disable its built-in firewall.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 13:08
Strange,as even my dad couldnt get it off,(Wait,we have another wireless modem on wich i am linked,that might be the problem)

-Prince Of Darkness

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 05:27:18
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 05:27:18