Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / I dont like legal talk

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 20:23
OK so while installing I like to read every EULA (most people should). I got the Game studio pack and everything and i got to the DP EULA and was a bit confused by some of the "law speak"

Quote: "
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:

- Use. You may install and use copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on your computers (computers include workstations, terminals or other digital electronic devices), which are running validly licensed copies of Microsoft Windows 98, , Windows ME and Windows XP operating systems.

- Distribution. You may reproduce and distribute standalone executable files created with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, provided that;

(i) any media provided with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT that you use is incorporated into a single executable file (media can be models, bitmaps, sounds, music or animation);

(ii) you do not reverse engineer the standalone executable or associated media files;

(iii) you do not translate or convert any models provided with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT out of the Microsoft DirectX format;

(iv) you do not redistribute as separate files any media provided with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT;

(v) such files are not commercially exploited, or exploited for any form of commercial gain or benefit (without, in any such case, a separate commercial use licence granted by Ageia Technologies, Inc. (www.ageia.com));

(vi) you reproduce all of the AGEIA copyright notices (as they appear below in this EULA) within each such file and on the media (if any) for each such file;

(vii) no source code is distributed; and

(viii) you agree to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend TGC from and against any claims or lawsuits, including solicitors' fees, that arise or result from the use or distribution of standalone executable files created with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
"

Is this essentially saying "You can make any program you want using Dark Physics, but if you want to sell it you must pay [insert large sum here] to ageia"???

~*~ Life Is Temporary, Gaming Is Eternal ~*~
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 20:35 Edited at: 18th Feb 2007 20:42
I think maybe what it is saying is..

Aegis (the hardware physics thing) is not owned by TCG so don't blame TCG if you use it without getting a liecence from them.

If you do the physics in software only maybe you are ok?

This has put me right of buying DP. i think i'll code my own physics at this rate

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2007 20:52 Edited at: 18th Feb 2007 20:52
As far as I know, the "new" EULA from AGEIA made public last year offers a "free" license for every program and game created with DP as long as you have created a profile on the AGEIA-SDK-website. There you name all your games/programs you have made or plan which use the AGEIA-SDK or DP.

Also see the thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=92726&b=30

I hope that clears everything!

Hoozer

AMD 64X2 4800+ (939); 2GB; GF 6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.2):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93582&b=5
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2007 13:24
Yeah Hoozer is correct. The license requirement from Ageia has been dropped totally since that DP EULA was written, however the EULA has not yet been updated. Most of it is however now void.

Heavy on the Magick
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2007 18:55 Edited at: 19th Feb 2007 18:55
Thank the lord... i almost felt like i had wasted my $$$ :p

~*~ Life Is Temporary, Gaming Is Eternal ~*~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:33:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:33:42