Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK.NET Dlls

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Distributing DGDKSetup.exe seems rather troublesome and unprofessional, is it just possible to distribute the required dll's instead?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 02:57
DGDK.NET runtime requires several dependencies which is why DGDKSetup.exe is needed. It does have a silent install option as well, and it checks if the system has already been installed with DGDK.NET to prevent conflicting versions etc.

I have to disagree on the opinion that it is unprofessional since this is a COM component which requires registering, and to ensure that DLL dependencies are met before the component can be registered. You would still need to install the .NET framework as well before any .NET applications could run, so this isn't really all that much different. Also, not all users will be confident enough to create their own installations, and DGDKSetup.exe solves this problem for those users who want to get their programs up and running on third party computers.

If you still feel obliged to distribute and register the component yourself, how were you proposing to do this?

May I also suggest taking a gander over this thread as well:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=92556&b=22

Paul.

Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 04:22
Is there a reason why this is COM compliant?
Just curious.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 09:40
Because I use the C++ DGDK libraries for creating the component via an interop system which is fully supported by .NET

Paul.

cypher0
Years of Service
User Offline
I was intenting to distribute my application (along with it's dlls) in a single ZIP file so the user wouldn't have to actually bother installing anything.

Performing an actuall install always puts me off running internet-downloaded applications and I know bothers many other people as well.
There's far too many badly designed installers out there*, people simply prefer stand-alone applications so they can just delete a single folder when it comes to the uninstall, instead of worrying about dependances and so forth.

I'm not too concerned about the users having the .NET runtimes, since it is accessible via Windows update and most people already have .NET, or at least consider it worthwile to install.

*I'm certainly not saying DGDK.NET installer is badly designed!!! I'm just saying other people don't know!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:29:17
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:29:17