Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Dead end corridors and doors

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 00:29
I have just bought FPSC and could do really do with some help. The manual states that to use a door to join a corridor segement to a room you must make sure that you use a deadend corridor segment. This makes sense as without that there is a gap around the door.

However I can't get it to work. The door is in the room and opens - but onto a kind of dead end which you can't walk past. I have tried searching the forum but all I can find is this thread - which highlights exactly the problem I have. However it doesn't give a solution other than to talk about making a prefab out of the segments. Can I not just connect a corridor to a room using a door without making a prefab?

Any help would be really appreciated.

<a http://www.funkinfunk.com> Funkin' Funk - Killer Music Products
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 00:37
I'm not sure I understand but you can place doors on any wall, just make sure they are segment doors, not entities.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 00:44
To add to Nickys speal, make sure your door is cutting into a segment and not an entity. Doors will only CSG and cut though a segment. If your using a wall(meaning an entity wall) say from Signs or something that will not work.

Perhaps a picture or 2 so we could better understand your problem.

Loc
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 00:46 Edited at: 26th Feb 2007 00:46
and I'm not sure what you mean be "deadend corridor segment". If you want a door part way down a corridor, just place one there then place a wall (using the 'M' key for wall mode) where the door is.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 00:48
Also doors and windows cannot be cut through "Wall Large" and "Wall Small". Consider these as outside walls and not room segments. If you are using these to make rooms, then use another segment.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Qweeg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 01:18
Okay - first off thanks for everyone responding so quickly. I have made some screenies to hopefully show better what I mean. To explain where I am coming from regarding Deadend corridors - this is a quote from page 78 of the manual:

Quote: "Make use of corridors as they are pre-sealed and are good at keeping your rendered polygons to a minimum. When connecting corridors to rooms, remember to use the dead end segment so that the corridor connects gracefully with the room. Make sure the room has a wall facing the corridor piece, and cut through that wall with a door of your choice."

So, following this I made a room using the bathroom segment and placed a basement door segement in it and then a dead end corridor section butting up to the wall/door - as per this screenshot:

Screen1

Running this though means that the door opens but is blocked like this:

Screen2

And replacing the Dead End corridor segment with a normal corridor segment means that the door works fine but there is a gap around the doorframe - like this:

Screen3

For info the deadend and straight corridor segements are the bottom 2 segments on the left side of the first screenshot.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 01:23
Do just like you did in screenshot 3, and then replace the wall segment that has disapeared (bathroom) using the M key to paint a wall only in the editor.

Best.

Qweeg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 01:29
Brilliant! Thanks a lot xplosys. I feel pretty dumb now - but in my defense I am not sure why the manual goes on about using a deadend corridor segement - since that doesn't seem to be the way to do this.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2007 01:32
It's a must read for the basics, though quite limited. Experimentation is the way to go. That's how we figure it out.

Best.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 05:28:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 05:28:16