Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Trouble getting started

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 06:46
I simply cannot get the tutorial SpinningCube (C# version) to work. I have Visual Studio 2005, and i've followed all the directions from the tutorial. I even found the troubleshooting in the documentation and went through all those steps, and i still get the same error; the details of which are:

System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled
Message="The type initializer for 'CDGDK' threw an exception."
Source="SpinningCube"
TypeName="CDGDK"
StackTrace:
at CDGDK.InitializeDGDK(String strKey)
at SpinningCube.Program.Main(String[] args) in E:\My Documents\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\SpinningCube\SpinningCube\Program.cs:line 11

I even copied and pasted the C# code from the example, i'm not sure what else to do.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 09:18 Edited at: 27th Feb 2007 09:20
This is most strange, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties in getting it up and running. I do have a video tutorial which shows putting together a C# tutorial, so I'm wondering if this will help in any way.

It's a FLASH video tutorial that I did quite a while ago. Try running through this tutorial just to see if you have missed anything obvious, or missed a step out etc.

[EDIT] The tutorial is about 11mb, so it may take a short while to download.

http://www.apexnow.co.uk/tutorial1.swf

Hope this helps. If you're still having trouble, drop me an email attaching your project and I'll see if I can find out where you may have gone wrong.

Paul.

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 11:40
I dont know if this is of any help.
From MSDN
Quote: "When a class initializer fails to initialize a type, a TypeInitializationException is created and passed a reference to the exception thrown by the type's class initializer. The InnerException property of TypeInitializationException holds the underlying exception.

TypeInitializationException uses the HRESULT COR_E_TYPEINITIALIZATION, that has the value 0x80131534."

try this:

Using Dark GDK.NET
eagle scout 316
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 14:06
i will try the video tutorial after lunch today Paul, thanks.

James, i'm mainly a Java programmer right now although i've dabbled in many languages because it's a research area i'm looking to try out. If the fact the exception was not enclosed in a try-catch block was the issue i believe the code would've never compiled for anyone using C#. This is a runtime error, which means the exception IS being thrown, at which point the error is not fixed and thus the program crashes.

I have Windows Vista along with Visual Studio 2005, which means i have SP1 for the development software. How much that can change, i'm not sure. I have no reason to believe this is causing trouble because Microsoft has made sure Visual Studio is fully compliant with their new OS.
eagle scout 316
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 08:32
I tried using the try-catch block, and as i expected it did not work; now i get an error message in a console window instead of a graceless crash. Paul's trying to help me out though.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 19:08
Eagle, I obtained the sample you provided and it ran straight away. So this now begs the question, what is the exact specification of your system. I'm beginning to think that this could be because of a problem with say, your video drivers, or you're not running the correct version of DirectX.

Can you tell me if any of the samples that came with DGDK.NET work? I'm kind of banking on the premise that one of them or maybe a few of them will break when you try to run them from the start menu.

I basically downloaded the sample from your website, opened Visual Studio 2005 and ran the sample without modification. It worked as expected, so it has to be something else that's specific to your setup that's causing the problem.

Paul.

eagle scout 316
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 19:41
Hardware wise i'm running a custom built computer with Core 2 Duo processor, 2 gigs of RAM, an ATI 1800xtx graphics card, and four hard drives with a combined capacity of roughly 1 TB.

I have Visual Studio 2005 with SP1, and my operating system is Windows Vista Ultimate. None of the samples provided with DGDK.NET work, they all crash as soon as i load them. I opened one in the Visual Studio 2005 debugger and the problem cited is the same error message i get when trying to run the tutorial program.

I have DirectX 9.0c, and have never had a program give compatibility errors yet in Vista, even programs that i expected to not work have.
eagle scout 316
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2007 20:08
Not that i think it matters, but it's the 64-bit Windows Vista, not 32-bit.
eagle scout 316
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 03:24
I'm afraid that it's something to do with DirectX, because i downloaded the DB Pro trial and it doesn't work either saying it can't find DirectX. If that's what's happening it makes sense that DGDK.NET isn't initializing either.

Anyone know how to fix this?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 18:00
Quote: "Not that i think it matters, but it's the 64-bit Windows Vista, not 32-bit."

that may be the problem

London 7/7/05 = 1 in 10^38 Alex Jones: Terror Storm
Ron Paul '08
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 18:46
Eagle, the unfortunate situation is that I don't have Vista at all, and therefore cannot diagnose the problem directly for DGDK.NET, but if the trial version of DBP is also crashing, chances are, it has to be a DirectX issue. I'm somewhat at a loss for a solution to get you up and running, and with the lack of running Vista myself, both 32bit and 64bit, this poses a bit of a conundrum.

Paul.

eagle scout 316
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 22:18
This does pose a conundrum, because i currently have $60 of development tools which are at the moment, for lack of better terms, worthless. If anyone has suggestions for how to solve this dilemma, or if you believe this is a situation best remedied by a refund, please let me know.

I'm certainly not throwing out a $250 operating system upgrade for a $60 product, which is the only solution i can see up front.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:26:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:26:40