Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / USB dll /search

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 15:15
Hi.
I'm trying to trigger a relay via USB. To trigger a relay you need an impulse. Does anyone has a plan how to send an impulse via USB?
I'm shure that I need a dll.
Maybe you can help

[/center]
Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
You would need a DLL that's for sure, I've read an article on how to do this in .net but not in C++.

Computer says n00bed
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 19:52
Usually you can find details of how to interact with your device from the guys you buy the USB adapter board from. Try there first.

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2007 21:00 Edited at: 1st Mar 2007 21:11
I haven't bought the USB adapter - I built it :S
And now Im looking for a dll that will trigger my relay.

[/center]
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 03:59
Remember that USB is not a RS232 serial port, nor a parallel port. You need a USB driver to interfase Windows with the USB chip in your device. USB devices work at a very high speed compared with legacy ports, so you need a very precise timing subsystem in your (home made?) peripheral.
The solution depends on the specific hardware you used, but most OEM USB interfase chip vendors offer the driver.

What kind of circuitry is in the utility side of your USB device? it can be translated to parallel data or simulate a serial UART just like RS232, but in the end you need at least some data pin and ground reference in order to control devices like a relay.

Also it would help to know what are the output interface voltage levels of your circuit, TTL, Cmos, whatever, and the working voltage of your relay, where you most probably need a current amplifier to drive the coil.

May the 3d force B with U
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2007 14:05
@Jack,
JDforce has made the same kind of point I was making. Even if you built the board yourself, you most probably used an off-the-shelf IC for it - What's on their site?

Hey You
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 14:30
Although i'm with JDforce and IanM, if you still decide to use USB try this site

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

HEYYOU......Just the way it is.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 03:29
USB is a rather popular method of hacking hardware. You should investigate the USB boards that are available...they come with DLLS and docs, too. You can trigger a relay from a parallel port without using a DLL. You can also use RS-232 to trigger a relay...just use the handshake signals. (btw, you should not use the logic to energize the relay, because there will not be enough current available, and also...coils kick back when excited. Build a driver, and isolate the relay and the PC.)

Jameco is a good place to start...they have more tools for data acquisition than you can probably afford.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 04:48:15
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 04:48:15