Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK Update - 120307

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 20:14
A new update is now available to download from your Order History.

Here is a list of changes:

* dbSetShadowShadingOff was listed incorrectly in the header files, this is now correct

* added dbSetShadowPosition into Basic 3D

* dbDeleteEffect caused a crash, this function now checks all objects that may reference this effect and clears the reference

* added float dbObjectSize / dbObjectSizeX / dbObjectSizeY / dbObjectSizeZ ( int iID, int iUseScaling ) into Basic 3D

* dbObjectSize now works with instanced objects

* dbObjectCollisionCenterX, dbObjectCollisionCenterY and dbObjectCollisionCenterZ now work with instanced objects

* corrected function listings for dbLoadDLL, dbDLLCallExist and dbCallDLL

* resolved a problem with fog colour not being reset in the particle manager

* changed to statically linking into the C++ runtime libraries, this is an important change so please note the following with your projects, we now have debug and release libraries, for debug projects link into the libraries in the VS8Debug folder and ensure your code generation is set to multi threaded debug (/MTd), for release projects link into the libraries in the VS8 folder and ensure your code generation is set to multi threaded (/MT), a side effect of this is that Visual Express users will need to add atls.lib into the ignore libraries section, currently looking into this problem and hope to have it resolved in the next release
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 20:28
Excellent stuff Mike, thanks very much

I'll begin making additional changes to DGDK.NET. This will also give me the chance to make a significant change to the way in which DGDK.NET applications are initialized.... simplify.

Paul.

322 is the time that the world will change.... forever!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2007 23:16 Edited at: 12th Mar 2007 23:19
I ...
- Made a backup of my current SDK folder
- Installed the contents of the zip over the original
- Took an existing and working VS8 project
- Set it to Multi-threaded code generation
- Compiled it in release mode

and I got ...
- 1096 linker errors.

When I switched back to Multi-threaded DLL, I got 49 linker errors, mostly in basic3d.

When switched to debug I got 9 linker errors with Multi-threaded debug, and 67 linker errors with Multi-threaded DLL debug.

Mike, did you remember to recompile all of the libs with the new settings? If you need a copy of all of the errors, just let me know here or email me.

Also, you broke the work I did a few days ago for DLL's. Never mind - I have the technology, I can rebuild it ...

[EDIT]One more thing - any chance of adding a define into the SDK for the version number of the SDK. That way I can write code that will work with multiple version of the SDK.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 10:52
It is possible that the animation library may cause a conflict as I did not rebuild it in debug or release mode.

I have tested several large projects and some example programs and not come across these linker problems so not entirely sure what is causing the problem just yet.

Can you show me some of the linker errors from your first attempt at compiling. It will also be useful to know if you are using the Express version of the compiler and also which version of the Platform and DirectX SDKs.

I can add a define for the version number. Will get this in the next upload.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 11:00 Edited at: 13th Mar 2007 12:38
Ian, I had that large list of linker errors too. I found out that removing all references from the ignore libraries section, makes the errors disappear. I'm using VS2005 standard version.

[EDIT]
I want to congratulate Mike and TGC for their effort, as they have minimized the bug list, and we have had three months of continuous support.
Also, I've noticed that the "beta" label has been removed with fairness from the update name.

Good work Mike!
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "we now have debug and release libraries"

Weh, hey! T'is indeed a happy day.

I know (the sorely missed) Nick "happy Dude" would say that one should never need to build a project in Debug, but I'm an old fashioned kind of guy and like to do that. Go figure.

Anyway, many thanks Mike!

I have vague plans for World Domination
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 15:30
What version should it be when I download it?
DarkGDK_162c_Commercial is the file that I end up downloading, is this he correct one or am I missing the latest in my downloads?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 19:28
@Mike, Morcilla,

Yep, that was it - It was a holdover from the last release where I had to add libcmt along with quartz.lib to the list of ignore libraries. It compiles cleanly now.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2007 19:47
Ian, good to hear it is working now.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Strange, even though I am now linking with the lib files in the VS8Debug when doing a debug build, I still get these kinds of warning:

darksdk.lib(DarkSDKCore.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'd:\Dev\Projects\GM_and_DGSDK\Debug\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info

They don't stop me from doing anything, but I would have guessed this means they were linked against the non debug version.

I have vague plans for World Domination
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 22:40
Mike,
I have not been able to successfully configure the sample projects for the new release of GDK c++, under VC++2005 express.
On build there are several errors, precisely 19 errors, and have not found how to set debug and release options.
When replacing include and lib folders with the previous ones, sample projects work again, as do every other project in c++.

Am not precisely expert on the visual studio express IDE, but more like a delphite.
Could you give me a step by step on how to configure what is needed to run under the new version ?

Thanks,

JD

May the 3d force B with U
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 11:47
Do you get various messages saying various functions cant be linked ?

Visit my web site for real bangin' stuff. Word.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 13:01
Happy Dude! Where have you been?

JDforce, look at the project properties, click at the 'Configuration manager' button at the top left to change the active configuration between debug/release. Other than that, you should post your specific errors as Happy Dude suggested
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2007 15:27 Edited at: 21st Mar 2007 15:29
Quote: "Happy Dude! Where have you been?"

I look in occasionally I'm actually starting a GSDK project - mainly because C4 is such a pain to use.

Visit my web site for real bangin' stuff. Word.
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2007 04:55
@OSX happy dude, I posted a new thread with the details, so not to saturate this.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=102540&b=22

@Morcilla, yes I checked the configuration. What I was asking is a specific way other than that, if it happened to exist.

Thanks to both.

May the 3d force B with U
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 02:51
Hiya people, if you're all wondering why I've not released v1090 yet, it's because I've encountered a problem that must be dealt with. The issue is that backward compatability breaks with the new version for existing applications. I know what's causing the problem but it will take me a while to resolve it, so please bare with me.

The new version encapsulates all of the changes and additions available in this release of the DGDK libraries, but I can't release the new DGDK.NET component and runtime until I can garuntee that existing EXE files will work with the new interop library.

As soon as I'm confident that everything is tiptop, I'll upload the new version for release.

Cheers, and sorry for the delay.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2007 11:09
Dont worry Paul

You are doing a great job and of course it should work

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in DarkEngine
http://yourmmo.wikispaces.com/
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 05:48
Uhm... Would that be primarily because of that thing I mentioned?
Paul, if that is the case, don't tell anyone! I don't want punchs in my "pretty face", lol!

Just kidding, keep up the good work! Take your time and do it right! I'll be waiting for it so I can start working on DarkEngine V 0.2.0, some things will change in it also, but Niels won't mind, will you Niels? (At least, he is the only one I know is using DarkEngine right now, think I'll ask him some cash, LOL! Just kidding Niels, thanks for the making good use of it).

Great job so far Paul! Cheers!

Thiago
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 11:49 Edited at: 24th Mar 2007 11:50
Paul, you deserve a special mention for your dedication, commitment and quickness. DGDK.net is at best hands. You give the product an added value.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2007 22:01
kBessa - I can wait with an update on DarkEngine.

I have enough to do with my work, customer and a few websites I have:

www.tigernet.dk - where people are sending sms online
www.moneymaking4free.com - where I giving tips about making money online

But I'm also using DarkEngine when I have time and Im making progress in my game (are only using dummy-graphics right now).

Can I see you DarkGUI code? If you have it?

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in DarkEngine
http://yourmmo.wikispaces.com/
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2007 09:29
Hi Niels,

Unfortunately, I haven't had any time to work on DarkUI, and it is just the beggining (Doing DarkControl, the base class to every control, and DarkLabel, to test it, and even these ones are incomplete).

I'm hopping for a preview version next month, if I get the time, but probably only on may, don't know.

Best Regards,
Thiago
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Strange, even though I am now linking with the lib files in the VS8Debug when doing a debug build, I still get these kinds of warning:

darksdk.lib(DarkSDKCore.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'd:\Dev\Projects\GM_and_DGSDK\Debug\vc80.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info

They don't stop me from doing anything, but I would have guessed this means they were linked against the non debug version.
"

I experience the same behavior as you. For some reason debug information for the program debug database is not generated with compiler option /ZI which allows you to edit and continue while debugging. However using compiler option /Zi allows you to debug still without that feature. Compiler option /Z7 won't get rid of the warning/errors.

If you're using VS2005 you can set the option quickly with:

Project properties->General->Debug Information Format

and select:

Program Database (/Zi)

It's better to do it there than on the command line because you'll likely get a warning for overriding /ZI if you didn't change it like above...like I did

Hope that helps.

using DGDK.C++
OneLove
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 04:16 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2007 04:18
Looks like I goofed.

Compiler option /Zi only works "some" of the time otherwise you get Lnk4098 for vc80.pdb being missing. It reappears whenever you try to rebuild a project using the DarkGDK and then goes away on subsequent builds until you actually "rebuild" again.

My guess is that the .pdb file is destroyed before compilation and then during compilation the .pdb file is in fact missing so you get the errors. At some point or at the end of the build process the .pdb file is generated so that subsequent "builds" have it available and the error goes away.

Just posting what what's been going on with me.

----------------

Sorry for the new post...I've just discovered the edit button to the left

using DGDK.C++

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:29:52
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:29:52