Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Laptop question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 02:59
Okay, so I have some cool news. Just a few hours ago we won a laptop! I won't go into detail about how, we thought it would be a scam though, but apparently it wasn't. But now to the point.

How well does FPSC run on laptops? Is there any side effects of using a laptop? The laptop we now have has 480 MB of RAM. That is nearly DOUBLE what I have. Also since that is only a few MB off the Min req, will that still deeply affect how FPSC runs?

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 03:02 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 03:03
Where did you win this laptop? Nobody is gonna help you Intill you tell us lol

Anyway I only have a macintosh laptop. Sorry.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 03:16
We got some mail from best buy saying "please come claim your very own laptop". Usually we wouldn't go but my Dad wanted to buy a digital camera so we went and, well they actually gave us a laptop. I'd take a picture of the laptop for proof but my Dad took the camera to work. But we did win one. Pretty awesome if you ask me!!!

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 03:33 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 03:38
Jenkins, I have an Ailenware m5550i Intel core duo, 1 gig DDR2 ram, and a GO 7600 w/256mb ram video card. FPSC works great on it. I will say get a mouse for it. I hate the touchpad. Congratulations on the win.
I think your memory will do alright. You can always upgrade the memory. Thats fairly simple.

[http://www.mk83productions.com] [http://www.freewebs.com/mk83]
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 03:34
The problem with gaming, or in this case FPSC, with a laptop is usually the graphics adapter. You probably have enough CPU speed, and the memory is still not sufficient but as you said, better than what you have now. Unless the laptop has at least a 64MB 3d graphics adapter, you won't be any better off.

Congrats on the win.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 03:51
Well, I guess trying it is the only answer now. And about the mouse, we do have one. A little tiny thing that makes me laugh everytime I look at it.

PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 05:22
@ Jenkins: I have a laptop, and it runs FPSC. I am doing my projects on a laptop for when I am on the go and on a desktop. As long as you have a system that meets the requirements it should be fine. Just be sure ot download the latest version of Direct X, to make sure that FPSC works. Congratulations on the win.

K.L. Phair
Slayer Simon
Years of Service
User Offline
Gnarly. If I responded to every email that sounded like that and won something, I would probably not have room in my house.

Congrats dude!
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 01:32
Okay so I've been testing with the laptop and I'm quite happy. The load times have increased incredibly. But I have another question. It seems the FPS haven't changed at all. I played around with the scifi 1 test level and was averaging 16 FPS. As with my crappy computer. Of course every now and then it would go higher and lower but generally 16 FPS. So my question is, what makes the game play faster? Is it the graphics card or RAM. Because I almost doubled in RAM going from the comp to the laptop but the speed stayed the same.

And the lighting issue I was having is also fixed.

Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Mainly the Graphics Card but also the CPU will make it run faster, should not forget that the motherboard used also has a lot to do with the speed capability too.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 01:47
I figured the graphics card. I have no idea what a good cheap graphics card is. I always see names like, jilly joe 23232 jangle steves. And I'm like "say what?". So can you point me in a right direction for reasonable graphics cards?

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 02:32
It's the old saying how fast you want to go by how much money you have.
Just remember it may go fast on yours but someone else has to play it.
If they don't have the great stuff on their computer it won't matter..

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 21:01
Yup. Which is why I don't want a super computer. I just want to at least meet the minimum requirements though. It can be rather tough sometimes with a computer like mine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 07:26:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 07:26:09