Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Where have all the textures gone?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 11:12 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 12:26
When a model has multiple textures which means several *_D2.DDS files for example, then everything is visible in the fpsc-editor and also when I test the scene. But when I build the game, these multiple textures are not transferred to the corresponding gamefolder and I have to copy them by hand. Is this due to the nature of multiple textures in fpsc (they have no entry in the "texture" field of the fpe-file) and the "builder" thinks that there are no textures at all?
Fiberfrag
Years of Service
User Offline
Try reinstalling and updating and that should solve the issue...

Fiberfrag

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 14:28
Make sure that the built game has all of the files in the entitybank folders.Sometimes you have to copy them from the FPSC entitybank folder to the built game folder.

Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 14:54 Edited at: 14th Mar 2007 14:54
@Fiberfrag
Thanks! I will try this.

@FredP
Quote: "Sometimes you have to copy them from the FPSC entitybank folder to the built game folder."

Yes. I can handle this, but these are entities for a modelpack that I want to sell and if people pay money for these models, this bug(?) will not be very customerfriendly...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 15:11
Sorry but that's the way it works with multiple textures.FPSC is basically designed to have one texture per entity.
If you use multiple textures yoy will have to copy the missing files over to the built game folder.
Treemagic trees,some third party weapons,etc. require this.

Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 09:23
Thank you for the info, FredP.
If other talented users are offering packs and models with multiple textures that also have this "copy-to-game-folder" requirement, then I will be in good company.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 09:31
Zilla you could also take a page from Jons Beretta, and instead of having 2 512 textures, add them together and make one 1024x512. This niether saves any bytes or waste any(they come out added the same). Long as your making a texture thats in the power of 2, thats optimized for fpsc(and most engines)
Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 10:20
Hi, Locrian
Yes, I also read Jon's thread in Errant's forum and I will try this method, though I will have to experiment a little bit. I have to admit that I don't understand it completely yet. What's happening with the uv-mappping of the two seperate parts of the model when I just combine the two textures? But as I said, I will check it out.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 16:43 Edited at: 15th Mar 2007 16:45
OK, Lets help you out with this a little.

Above is my gun. As you can see to the right of the UV Map the gun is open in the scene and is being held by the M6 hands. I'd redone my hands on my gun to match the hands in the game when the player got a gun I'd placed from the M6 pack. Were going to demonstrate with the hands because the guns in so many pieces, and that would hard to show you.

Normally the hands, when mapped would encompass the whole area outlined by the thicker blue lines and highlighted by the white arrows. Now in Max I get to always work with a perfect square. If your using UV Mapper Classic, this area takes up whatever resolution your screen takes up, which could be 1028x768, which makes your half way point at 384 pixels.

When remapping the hands, I selected the whole hand and arm. I then grabbed the upper left handle of my selection and moved to the right till the outline of my selection matched up with the center line highlighted by the yellow arrow.

I took all the gun parts and did the opposite. Grabbing the upper right handle of my selection I moved it left till each piece was exactly half the width it was before.

If you took this image and laid it over the map the way it currently looks you'd see something similar to the image below. Be it a square, or some power of 2, your map will always fit it self to a power of 2 texture.

The real texture I use for this weapon is similar to what's noted below, where both maps are the same size as they were originally.

Any questions just ask.
Good Luck,
Loc
Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 17:51
Wow! Thank you very much! You should get a medal for this Or a free beer. I like the red nails...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 07:22:48
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 07:22:48