Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Is GDK for me???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is GDK for me?

Well, let me tell you where I am...

I have been using OpenGL for as long as I can remember for all my home games programming. I have a little engine written called the 'RetroDev' engine (www.retrodev.co.uk), which I use for everything (Sound / networking / graphics), but it's messy as hell, and I'm always hitting compatability issues with the odd PC here and there.

I'm looking for a more reliable engine to use, since I'm not interested in pumping hours into coding a game which only half the audience can play. I've used Dark Basic before, but obviously, not being able to code in c++ is very limiting..

So I guess what I'm interested in is answers to the following questions...

Using it for freeware...

- Is it easy to set up and use (Assuming I'm profficient in C++)
- Is it reliable (On other peoples PC's)
- Are there any hallmarks of the engine that make it obvious that the game was written in it (e.g., a nagscreen which always appears at the start of a game saying "DarkGDK!!!!")
- What experiences have people had in using it?
- Can I get some example code / doccumantation?

Using it professionally...

If I was to use it professionally (To make prototypes etc..., not for actual sale), would I need the advanced liscence?

www.Retrodev.co.uk
Grunge Game Developers
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2007 14:15
Hi Chicknstu

I answer as a user of DGDK.NET:

For me the DGDK is the best invention next after cola and it gives me a pleasure to work with. I also have DarkBasic Pro but was limited by the speed and the lack of OOP.

With DGDK.NET I have OOP, better debugging and when Im on work its easy for me to move some code from VB/Web projects to DGDK.NET.

Its very easy to setup and you are up and running fast.
I havent been testing it on other persons PC but Im not afraid to distribute my game (when its finished). When I do it I need to add .NET 2.0 incl. DGDK.NET.
There are no nagscreens so people can't see that you used DGDK.
I have been developing games on Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga and now I finally can make games on PC with DGDK.
For me DGDK is a religion. Just wish in wich direction I should say my prayer

Here is som source-code (notice Im using DarkEngine.. a perfect plugin for DGDK.NET)

If you are making money on your game you need the BIG version. Im planning to buy that later on the year....

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in DarkEngine
http://yourmmo.wikispaces.com/
Chicknstu
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "When I do it I need to add .NET 2.0 incl. DGDK.NET."

Does that mean if anyone wants to play your game, they need to install .Net 2.0 framework and some other stuff? Because if that's true then I'm not sure tis is the solution for me (People won't do it)

www.Retrodev.co.uk
Grunge Game Developers
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does that mean if anyone wants to play your game, they need to install .Net 2.0 framework and some other stuff? Because if that's true then I'm not sure tis is the solution for me (People won't do it)
"

That is the case if you use the GDK.Net. That is a different (albeit very much related) product from the "classic" C++ GDK (which is the one I currently use).

You don't need to have anything else installed (other than DirectX runtime) to run games produced with the C++ GDK.

I have vague plans for World Domination
Chicknstu
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You don't need to have anything else installed (other than DirectX runtime) to run games produced with the C++ GDK.
"

Ah. I was wondering why I was able to run the demos having not installed anything special!

So, you use it? How good / reliable are you finding it?

www.Retrodev.co.uk
Grunge Game Developers
Chicknstu
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess my final question is what the doccumentation is like? Is it easy to set up a skeleton project? Perhaps someone has a tutorial / doccumentation I can peruse before I go ahead and download this?

www.Retrodev.co.uk
Grunge Game Developers
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 09:32
Any sane person with their system up to date with windows update will have .NET framework 2.0 installed.

Using Dark GDK.NET

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:27:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:27:19