Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / A change for the better (DGDK.NET)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 14:12 Edited at: 15th Mar 2007 14:14
Hi all.

I’ve been working on a change to DGDK.NET that will completely simplify the process of setting up your projects. It also opens the door for virtually any .NET language to be accessible as a development platform. I.e. J#.

In previous versions of DGDK.NET, setting up an application required using a dgdkGlobals.vb or ..cs file. The same was also said for using plugins in your project as well. Well, this whole procedure has been scrapped!

When setting up a project now, you only need to reference the DGDKPlugins.dll and interop files. You no longer need to use dgdkGlobals.vb/cs. DGDK.NET still retains backward compatability for existing .NET applications, so there’s no need to worry about forced changes, but the new system is much simpler, and infact an existing application can be moved over to the new method with a few simple clicks of the mouse.

Here is a quick sample of what the new code method looks like:

These changes will be available in the next release of DGDK.NET. I will need to update the tutorials in the documentation, but it definately simplifies things.

Cheers,

Paul.

322 is the time that the world will change.... forever!
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 18:39
Hi Paul.

Glad to know you've heard my prayers, this will make things easier (and cleaner) to everyone. I'm hopping to get my hand on v1.0.9 so I can release a new version of DarkEngine. Any estimated date?

I'm also going to make some things different to ease the life of DE users. Just wished I had more spare time to spend on it for documentation and samples.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Thiago
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 19:08
It'll be a few days yet as I've not integrated the new DGDK libraries yet. I want to ensure that everything I've done so far, doesn't break, and to ensure that backward compatability is maintained for existing EXE files.

Paul.

322 is the time that the world will change.... forever!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 23:09
Sounds great man, I'm all for making everything easier to use

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 15:28
Every time I see a post about new things in DGDK I start to cry

Its so wonderful to see that you are doing so great work....

Thank you, Mange Tak, Ozhen Spaciba, Viel Dank, Merci

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in DarkEngine
http://yourmmo.wikispaces.com/
cypher0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 03:54 Edited at: 17th Mar 2007 03:55
Are there any plans for providing more descriptions in the help files?

Edit: We really need a command Wiki!
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 19:58
I'm in for the Wiki.... Its downloadable and fast to setup ...

Niels Henriksen
http://yourmmo.wikispaces.com/
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 03:12 Edited at: 30th Mar 2007 03:14
Hiya folks.

Good news is, I have finally completed all changes for the new release of v1090. It retains backward compatability for existing applications, but it now supports a new method for creating applications (not all that different to be honest). The main advantage is that it no longer uses include files. ALL applications must only reference just two DLL files, unless you plan to use a plugin or two. I am uploading installs and when Mike gets a chance to make them available, you will be able to use the new toolkit. It also uses the latest DGDK libraries.

The documentation itself has been updated with changed tutorials to show how the new method of project creation works, and addition functions have been referenced. The actual documentation itself isn't all that different I'm afraid, but I can't update documentation for function descriptions since... well... I don't know what some of them do. This is going to change very soon though, not only for DGDK.NET, but for DGDK as well. I've also made some internal improvements to security etc... something I thought needed doing to ensure continued support and prevention etc.

Anyway, I'll notify as soon as the downloads are made available.

Cheers.

Paul.

Abundance = Choice = Freedom - Scarcity = Dependancy = Control, Truth!
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 10:09
I am now running fulltime windows vista.
So i can inform you that v1080 doesnt natively support vista due to the DirectX Runtimes.

Using the DGDK.NET installer fails because it cannot register the DGDK.dll due to missing components (DirectX SDK), the same goes for DGDKSetup.exe redistributeable.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
DirectX SDK web installer doesnt work in Vista either so i had to download the 500MB SDK (or use the DGDK.NET installer that includes the SDK) to get it to work. I doubt anyone would download that to play a game developed with DGDK.

That should give you a pointer to what to add to the DGDKSetup runtime installer to get vista support.

Cheers

Using Dark GDK.NET
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 11:50
James Bondo, ok, I'll see what I can do, but I will state this here that this fix will not be in for v1.0.9.0. I've already delayed this release as it is to get the changes that Mike released in the last DarkGDK library set. Backward compatability got broke also due to function changes which were made in the C++ header files from the SDK.

I'll try my best to get Vista support in as soon as possible, but the new version has now been uploaded for Mike.

Paul.

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 15:54
Just let me know and I'll test whatever solutions you come up with.

Using Dark GDK.NET
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 16:00
Will do , thanks.

Paul.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 17:27
Hooray!

Where is it? I want the new version now! Can't wait to get my hands on it :-P

This version will probably define a new path to DarkEngine, maybe someday TGC will make it the Almost Oficial way to develop for DGDK.NET, hahahaha, my dreams are getting to high! LOL.

Ok, I was just kiding, a long path is still there. But thanks for everything you're doing Paul, DGDK.NET is as perfect as it could be. Thanks for the commitment to the DGDK.NET Community!

Cheers!
Thiago
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 17:34
kBessa - YOU want the new version now? Im just waiting for the next DarkEngine

Niels Henriksen
http://www.tigernet.dk - Send SMS to mobile online (will come in english soon)
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 17:49
Well, Mike has the installs now, so it's just a case of waiting until he has time to make them available via the orders page.

Paul.

cypher0
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DirectX SDK web installer doesnt work in Vista either so i had to download the 500MB SDK (or use the DGDK.NET installer that includes the SDK) to get it to work. I doubt anyone would download that to play a game developed with DGDK.
"

From what I can gather the SDK is only required to create DX applications, not run them.

Vista uses DX10 which isn't backward-compatable with DX9 etc. DX9 can however be installed (and should be by default) for this very reason.
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 01:49 Edited at: 31st Mar 2007 01:50
To be able to run any application made with DGDK.NET you need to install DGDKSetup.exe. DGDKSetup.exe cannot install if you do not have the latest DirectX runtimes. Only way to get them is to download the DirectX runtime webinstaller OR the ~500MB sdk... but the webinstaller is not compatible with Vista.

DirectX 10 IS backwards compatible (atleast i ran directx 9 games before installing DirectX 9).

Using Dark GDK.NET
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2007 02:36
I'm awfully sorry about the problem under Vista James, I'll try to get this sorted ASAP. I'm gonna need to get you to test this though since I don't even have Vista :/. I've always been quite content with XP Pro.

Paul.

Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 09:52
Vista comes with dx9 and dx10 already loaded. The Aeroglass gui (if you have the hardware to run it) works off of dx9. Which is why we can get xaml on xp machines.

It shipped with dx9 L (i assumed the L stood for Longhorn), which is not the same version we get on xp. I havent checked this, but it's possible that the sdk wont upgrade the L version yet.

The DGDK.NET worked for me on vista beta2 back in september (which ever was the lastest dgdk.net at that time), but I didnt upgrade vista when it went rtm.
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 18:16 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 18:17
Thats pretty much what i meant. Ofc its not purely DX10, as i think the minority of people actually have DX10 capable graphics processors.

However, the problem is not installing and working with DGDK.NET, the problem is redistribution of DGDK.NET applications.
If you use the big installer (the one that includes DX9 components) it installs fine, but for obivious reasons one cannot redistribute that file

So its not me as a developer having problems, its the end-user. Hope that cleared it up for you.

Using Dark GDK.NET

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:13:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:13:13