Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Seeking advice for an absolute novice planning to build very large city

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am looking to create a drivable map of a cityscape where the user can navigate down roads and side streets. Ideally I would like to able to add streets as I go along (over a long timeframe), and eventually build up a large navigable city, for example the size of London or New York. This project is not planned as a game, just something that a child can drive around with a bus. The only programming aspect would be the need for the Bus to register when it has arrived at a stop. Because this project will be based on real roads, I need something that can deal with inclines, hills and gradients, and not blocky steps (ala Doom).

I am a complete and utter novice at this, but do have 2D graphics experience. I would appreciate it if anyone can spare the time to give some broad step guidance on how to go about this type of project, and if at all it can be done. What are the general process steps to producing roads and buildings? What software would someone like me be best using, for buildings facades, roads, and what would I use to make it all run?

Feel free to be as verbose as you wish in answering.

Thanks in advance

Eric
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2007 21:19
Unfortunately this is totally impossible. Driveable vehicales are not possible, and a large city as you want would not be able to run at a fast enough speed (Low FPS basically.)

FPSC is terrible for when you have a lot of entities/segments (3D polies) it will run slower than a fat man with no legs. (No offence to any obese people with no legs )
FPSC is better for indoor scenes, but if there are outdoor scenes they would not be over done with entities/segments.

Much luck,
Dan.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 07:25:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 07:25:19