Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Keep it Polite..No need to be a *beep*

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 21:08
Right, here we go again. If a new user asks a question that's on the manual, say "Please read the manual." If you have nothing nice to say, then keep it.

There's this whole idea about keeping this FPSC software alive and that's supporting new users as well. If we keep being a jerk by telling new users to "Go read the manual moron!" type responses, we're basically killing this software. The last thing you want to do is drive off potential buyers who are interested in this software. There's this guy who posted about using a trial software and then asked some basic questions. What did some of the "posters" do? They started locking down his thread and making all sorts of comments. Sadly, one of them is an FPSC moderator.

Lee...you want to keep this business going, want to earn more money out of it? Then we need to sort of tone down on how we respond to new users. At the end of the day, you need to draw in more potential buyers not drive them off.

Uh huh...thank you very much..
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 21:16
How come you felt the need to post something like this?
People know how to act, and they just choose to talk the way they do.
I must say, if I didnt feel mean on people on people when i say un-nessecary things, many of my replies would be like "Arghh... Why dont you morons search? I dont if you're new - its easy to figure out!", but I realise some people struggle to use the features properly, and some dont even realise they exist (Eg; the search at the bottom of pages).

Quote: "There's this guy who posted about using a trial software and then asked some basic questions. What did some of the "posters" do? They started locking down his thread and making all sorts of comments. Sadly, one of them is an FPSC moderator."

The reason this moderator replied as he did, is because the thread starter was in the wrong.

I feel this thread is yet another one of those threads that would normally get flamed...

Dan

Hazmat Breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 21:18
I rest my case.

Lee Bamber..think about what I said. I'll post in another four months. Oh and please don't ban my account and I quote:

"People know how to act, and they just choose to talk the way they do."

Take care.

Uh huh...thank you very much..
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 21:23
"How do you place an object on a table"?
I can't tell you how many times I've seen that questions before. Page 33 of the manual (Stacking Entities) instructs you on placing one entitiy on top of another.

Many times I've seen forum members answer the new member's question, and ask them to read the manual at the end of their response. There's nothing wrong with that; if anything it helps the new member to "help themselves".

On occassion, I have seen some members tell the new member to read the manual in a not-so-nice way. Occassionally those members are punished for it.

I've also seen new members ask a question without even looking at the first few threads on the board...if they had, they would have found the answer right above/below their thread. We can't have these types of threads pushing the useful/informative threads off the front page. There is a reason that this forum has a search function.

I don't think Lee has to worry too much about "keeping this business going".

-Keith

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 21:46 Edited at: 16th Mar 2007 21:48
Quote: "I don't think Lee has to worry too much about "keeping this business going"."

Excellent point. I highly doubt the thousands of people using these forums would stop buying software/model pakcs/ extras extra, just because of a few rowdy folks.

Quote: "I rest my case."

...And how do you do that?

Quote: "Oh and please don't ban my account and I quote:

"People know how to act, and they just choose to talk the way they do.""

I dont quite think you understood what I meant.
I was trying to say.. People know how to act but they choose to talk how they want.
Just to back up what I mean, they talk this way since they have seen so many of posts that contain requests, questions covered by previos threads and even the manual - Pointless, and avoidable.

Oh, and please dont use my quotes to try and back up your arguement when you clearly dont understand what I mean. I am on the side of the forums - I dont care about a few annoying users... I love this place for the people that make it enjoyable.
I would name a few, but there a too darn many.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 21:48
It takes all kinds of people to make a community. Some are rude, some are nice, and sometimes they change places. Some people give stupid and mean answers and some people make stupid and useless threads, but everyone has a right to be here and post, as well as have an opinion about everyone else.

As for me, I'm marking on my calendar that you'll be posting again in another four months and I'm sure Lee is appreciative of your concern.

You may think this post is rude and unnecessary and you have every right to think that. I won't even argue with you.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 22:17
Why is this thread even posted?In the other thread where you posted about someone being rude nobody was being rude.
The guy did not do an overview of 1.05.He posted some stuff and the thread turn into a disucssion on XNA or whatever and it was pretty much dead until you posted in it.Thanks...
You do not know what rude is.Last year before the mods came here people were really rude.
As long as people post within the guidelines of the AUP then they can post whatever they wish.
This forum does have moderators and if we feel someone is being rude or whatever the case may be we will take the appropriate action.
Most of what you consider rudeness or flaming comes from two things...
1. people don't read the manual...
2. people don't use the search engine.

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 22:24
May I ask, admins.. Dont you think there should be a rule similar to the new one in FPSC models and media section? EG; If a thread posted in product chat does not contain any of the following topics, it should be blocked;

Tech support with FPSC.
Possible updates for FPSC.
Announcement of addons.
Questions with relevace to FPSC/x10 etc.
Any other obvious stuff i may have not thought of..

Im sure you understand what I mean.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2007 22:36
uhm...I am a very blunt and sometimes rude indavidual. I'm sorry i don't tone my thoughts to every user here. If you ask yourself the question "Am I going to get flamed?" befor eyou post something, then you must simply rethink the subject you are psoting about. I understand that we are going to a more digital bsed world and that laziness is rampant in the younger gen and I am ok with that.

Here is a question for you, when you run in to a problem are you under the impression that no one else has had the same rpoblem? and that you are the only one who is smart enough to aska question about it?

cheers,
RF

Fiberfrag
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't think Lee has to worry too much about "keeping this business going"."

Excellent point. I highly doubt the thousands of people using these forums would stop buying software/model pakcs/ extras extra, just because of a few rowdy folks.

I agree with this point, and when someone asks a question on how to make build the game or anything that is right in front of you, you should get a reponse of "it is in the manual". Well, it is in there plain as day with step by step instructions. Half of the time you need the question translated becasue it is not understood.

Just my 2 cents....

Fiberfrag

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " laziness is rampant in the younger gen "

I totally agree with this,and dont apologise.
Kids are lazy by nature,not all of course, but a large proportion of them,it's Tom Sawyer syndrome.
P.C. madness has ripped the butt out of our education system,leaving kids with no real sense of achievement in learning for themselves,even better is when they ask and get a reply they are not long in posting about how they achieved this or that,without any thanks or reference as to how they came about this great 'discovery' of theirs.
New guy's are usually given a decent chance on these forums,so I dont know what this all about.
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
RTFM is valid, Search is valid, Google is valid, if someone can't find the info they need after that then by all means they should post and ask, this is my take on this anyway.

Lazy buggers are everywhere... and now time for a gripe I have...

What's with all the morons appearing who are creating really stupid usernames (generally stating whatever problem it is that they have this week)? I've never seen this happen on any other forums but here there seems to be a spate of it happening lately.

Hazmat Breath people will buy and use FPSC regardless of the replies they receive on a forum.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking forward to the dude that posts his game saying "Check out my super new game" with a user name like 'help me cannot compile my game'.
Karma.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 00:09
Since this thread is basically useless, and at the top of the page, I'd like to say:

Smitho, I dig your signature man. Not sure what sig it's in reference to, but the gaping hole/post it, is killer.
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 00:10 Edited at: 17th Mar 2007 00:12
Haha the best one ive seen was someone with a name similar to "objects laying on their sides"

Edit: Lol crosspost Was just a random idea of mine I get some wild stuff going through my head

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I get some wild stuff going through my head"

Now thats a user name.
Slayer_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 00:25
how bout i wanna game that guy using that name always makes me laugh. I agree the amount of dumb and spur of the moment names have increased to an annoying amount.
Slayer_2

EOT Check it out
http://eliteops.piczo.com
Komet
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I agree the amount of dumb and spur of the moment names have increased to an annoying amount."

Couple of further thoughts on this.

1) Is the low cost of FPSC attracting a steady stream of those still in Kindergarden and in receipt of pocket money who chose to invest in game making instead of drugs/booze?

2) Are these oddball names all being made up and posted by the same creature or a gang of their ilk?

Just wondering.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 00:57
The most funny names to me are the ones like "Keyglow" only because he chose that name because he can't make a key glow. Names like that make me laugh. And "FPI Scripts Copy and Paste" I think is his name.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 07:21:42
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 07:21:42