Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / HUD Text/ Ammo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 19:09
OK, I searched, so please don't just say "OMG use teh search!!11"

I used the Candle's tutorial on changing the HUD, but all it talks about is the Lives/Health, and for text only changing its size and position. I'd like to know how I can edit the position of the ammo thing, and the color and possibly font of text.

Thanks,
Ethan
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
I have no idea how to change the color, I am still looking

To move it though, find this code in setuplevel.fpi

and change these
hudx=85,hudy=8
hudx=88,hudy=12

This will change the X and Y locations on the screen.

Always make a back before editing anyfile. You will thank me later.

If anyone know where the font variables are located, I would like to know this as well
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 19:21
I'm sorry Ethan, but I have to say use the search.

There is no point in going into the setup.fpi. The global settings is there for a reason. Go into file < build game < level settings < edit global script. There ya go.

Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, I guess your right. I always try to do everything the hardway.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 20:02
You can't change the possition of the weapon hud without a new script and the changing of the setup.fpi. It's hard coded into engine and hud_icon.tga is only found one time in the engines source.

I was able to figure out a way to place the hud and trick the engine, so you should be able to as well. As far as I know though, I'm the only person I've seen thats changed the possition of the weapon hud to any corrner but the upper right....

Though I'm not giving out my scripts or hints, if you know even moderately how to script, or can con someone that can, it is possible.

Good Luck
Loc

PS: If you download my new video in the Models and Media section that shows my hammer you can see the Hud in action.
Ethan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 20:08
What about the text color? It can't be that hard.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats kind of strange that they would have just that one hud hardcoded.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 20:40
Text color can be changed in the setup, if your talking text for when you remove the weapon image. If your talking the hud numbers that show for life and all that, that is an image set up like a decal.

And yeah Jeremiah, It was weird. It even made me download a prog so I could do a text search of the entire fps folder(I thought I was just missing it). hud_icon.tga isn't mentioned one time in all the files...that's what made me look at the source.
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
I found the font in the source. It is also hardcoded. I wonder why they did that, I am sure there is a reason. I need to figure out how it declares what font to look for and where the font is located. I have some nice fonts I wish to use and it would be nice to implement that. Figure out if it will only use ttf or something else and if I can include that font when it compiles the game together.

There are alot of lines of code in the source.
Ethan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 21:14
Thanks Locrian, sounds too complicated, I'll just make a HUD that makes the yellow font look good :/
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 00:03 Edited at: 19th Mar 2007 00:11
No problem Ethan.

Good luck on it

Jeremiah, I'd have to believe, though I've never looked, that any call function related to a font would only work with fonts available on the users machine. You'd have to pack the custom font in some dll, and add the call to the source. Problem is we don't have the updated source and I'm kinda partial to the save and load stuff and other updates....I mean you could get it figured out on the old source till you got the new. Make adjustments as needed after the fact.

And yes you were right. I was thinking you could control the color of that font but thats just the hud colors. Never looked at it in the source, but I bet it was white, casue words show up if you try and remove an image or use a dif file extention.

I'd think using font instead of the huds would look kinda cheesy anyways(blocky, thin little fonts no more then you'd see in dos really). But if you need it, you need it.

Loc
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, nothing is set in stone yet. I am not focused on making anything in perticular. I am still learning how to program in dark basic. I just have alot of great ideas for FPSC, problem is that it will take some programming to make work.

I hope they hurry up with that update

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 07:17:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 07:17:45