Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Few Source Questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 00:39 Edited at: 19th Mar 2007 00:46
This is for Lee in particular, but if anyone else knows the answers, thanks.

1) Going through the source, I have noticed, many, many remnants of what seemed to be a Timer system. I would like to know why it was removed. If it was from time restraints on development, I will continue, but if it was from performance issues, or complications caused by physics (as I think), then I will put noticeably less effort in working on it.

2)It seems that you have a large alpha fading system in place, but while playing the game, I dont notice this. Where is this used mainly, so I can pay attention to detail. I may remove it, or work on it to make it more refined depending on the sections where it is used.

3)I am confused on some of the naming conventions used. You seem to have a section called _Ai_hud. I presume it is used for the Server List, as part of the code of it suggests, but it is quite confusing. Another part I noticed was that you stated:

Quote: "rem avoid bugfix from u62 by restoring the true scaled bound value"

What does this mean exactly? It seems to state avoid fixing a bug...

4) On the multiplayer system, Me and Benjamin have noticed a considerable lack of checks for connection, assurance that data is correct, ect. Is there a real good reason for this? Did it affect performance greatly, or was it again time restraints?

5) On the dynamic shadow system, I have noticed you deleted it citing "performance issues". Were you using lower polygon models than the real models? If so then no issue, but if not, I may look into using a basic character mesh for shadows.

6)
Quote: "rem create super-ground-punch (arbitary usage)"

What is this? I cannot find any other referances to it, but it sounds like a dynamic breaking of the ground on the level.

I have looked through the code on all else and concluded:

1) The slowdowns in FPS are caused by the Script loading. Collision code is very efficient, using elliptical collision.

2) Using PhysX would speed up the physics, while providing more options for objects.

3) The source code has terrible organization, and sorting it out might itself lead to speed increases, do to the exe not having to shift great amounts of code to get to a new gosub routine.

4) Multiplayer revision, while would be good, is not very practical until more checks and balances are put in place. Lag might be stopped a little if a timer system is put in place as well.

If anyone would like any ideas implemented into FPSC, then please tell me, as I am interested in it.

pleading and needing and bleeding and breeding and feeding exceeding..where is everybody? trying and lying defying denying crying and dying..where is everybody?
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "3) The source code has terrible organization, and sorting it out might itself lead to speed increases, do to the exe not having to shift great amounts of code to get to a new gosub routine."

I got to agree there. There are also alot of calls being declared that seem to have no purpose. Might be my lack of "basic" knowledge. Or it might just be that I am use to an Object Oriented design.

I am not bashing, just curious. I love fpsc.
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 01:10
@Jeremiah: That is correct. I already deleted a few calls. I also deleted the freeware version stuff.

pleading and needing and bleeding and breeding and feeding exceeding..where is everybody? trying and lying defying denying crying and dying..where is everybody?
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Any chance that they might be releasing the 1.5 source code one of these days, or has anything really changed with-in the FPSC-Game.dba source
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 01:50
I am sure they have changed the FPSC-Game file. 100%. They tend to release the source when they are on the final version of the update.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 06:28
If you have a question for Lee why not e-mail him?

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 07:33
I was only partly stating it with lee, I was wondering if any other developer knew much on these questions before going the extra step.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 11:33
Quote: "I am confused on some of the naming conventions used. You seem to have a section called _Ai_hud. I presume it is used for the Server List, as part of the code of it suggests, but it is quite confusing. Another part I noticed was that you stated:

Quote: "rem avoid bugfix from u62 by restoring the true scaled bound value"

What does this mean exactly? It seems to state avoid fixing a bug..."

I've not had a propper look at the source, but I'd be willing to bet this has something to do with the "characters halfway through the floor" bug, and the "scale" value used in the FPE

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "4) Multiplayer revision, while would be good, is not very practical until more checks and balances are put in place. Lag might be stopped a little if a timer system is put in place as well."

Right now the best we're seeing in multiplayer updates is v1.05 and FPSC Unleashed, the mod being created, which sounds awesome!

[Off Topic]Butters, could you check your email, i've emailed you 3 times regarding my LYTE-FX order, which I still haven't recieved.
[/Off Topic]

Need web design help with PHP or XHTML? E-mail me!
http://veron.sitesled.com Visit Veron! Free games, programs and applications! Made in DBPRO, FPSC, and C++!
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 16:41
I know the the 1.05 updates, they sound good, but dont get your "Fpsc Unleashed" hopes up.

Thanks for the info Butters, Lee's Naming Conventions are odd.

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I have to agree with not getting the Unleashed hopes up, but from what's been posted so far, it sounds like it's the end to all our Multiplayer FPSC troubles!

Need web design help with PHP or XHTML? E-mail me!
http://veron.sitesled.com Visit Veron! Free games, programs and applications! Made in DBPRO, FPSC, and C++!
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Well as my niece says If (if's and buts were candys and nuts, then we could all have a party)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 07:27:03
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 07:27:03