Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Making an RPG in 22 weeks (technically less than 8 weeks) :D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 10:15
Yes, I am another person to attempt an RPG. Except this is not really a project that I can do when I want to and stop when I want to. This is a project that my DT (Design and Technology) teacher set me to do. Well I was the one that wanted to do it.

For the people who don't what DT is, its a subject in highschool. I have to design and create anything I want and I chose a game. When I first got this major project, I knew next to nothing about DarkBasic, I had little programming experience and, I also knew next to nothing about 3D modelling.

My teacher says most of anything that you want to create needs a large percentage of the time to design the game. The time allowed is a semester of school, in other words 2 terms, in other words 22 weeks (including holidays).

Now I have spent 14 weeks on experimenting, researching, learning DarkBasic and 3D modelling. All thanks to the community, I have gone very far since. I have finished the basic story line, the sketches, and finished some maps.

I just recently started the game and now its a gigantic 130 lines (lol). I'll post up the story and some screenies if people are interested.

I got as much determination as I need. What I need is good comments for inspiration!
Quote from my brother:
Quote: " Patience is a virtue... I know that but how does that help me? "

http://www.stellarblue.vze.com/
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 14:16
Thanks. Now for the description of the game. You all know its going to be an RPG, as I said earlier. It will have sword fighting and I have an idea of how to do it. I dont think I'll put in magic because of time limitations and I may put in wind (hair flowing with the wind) also. Also because of time limitations I may not do it. Should I do magic and wind?

Quote from my brother:

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 14:26
First things first...maps........get matedit 1.6.......next storyline..hope to god you have that...models, your'e gonna need um...and finnaly time in the next few weeks......no time no game got that

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 15:21
I would say magic would be easier to implement for a beginner than swordfighting, because with magic the characters don't really need to physically interact with eachother. In a swordfight, if the swords don't connect or a bloody slash doesn't appear in the right place it might spoil the illusion. Easier to throw a fireball which engulfs something, or set up a whirlwind which spins them up into the sky, cool effects and easier to code than any convincing melee fighting, which involves precision collision and clever texturing manipulation

But good luck meeting your deadline however you go about it

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 15:27
magic easy...the attack system will be a pain i'll tell you that

Since 1999.
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 15:59
No, I will not have the bloody slash. Because I want this game for all ages. And I'm past the the developement stages and handed the storyline to my teacher already which means I cant make magic only. And I'm not that inexperienced at programming, I'm a fast learner.

Anyway the sword is going to be a seperate object and when it hit something then that somwthing will get hurt ofcourse

Quote from my brother:

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 16:10
Time remaining:
8 weeks (2 months)

Mission:
1 RPG game, with complete battle system, storyline, 3d environment (characters & maps), menu system, etc.

Team:
Solo

... this's i gotta see.

I support ur determination on accomplishing this as ur highschool project, but always remember, if u need any help, there will always be someone here to lend u a hand

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 16:25
I'm here to help you all the way, if you got a problem while programming email me or post here and i'll help asap

Since 1999.
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 17:10
Im grateful for all your comments and your help. Though there is one thing I am bad at. And that is music. I could learn to make good music but it takes too much time. If anyone out there is good in music, I would gladly accept the help

Quote from my brother:

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 05:05
Need some 3d models(heheheh )Naw since it's for school I won't even tempt you.

Good luck with your project, and I hope we get to see the results.

(Current)-Game entering concept art stages-
(progress)-Should have demo in 6 months latest-
(misc.)-Started modeling buildings and other objects-
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 06:20
oh my god, 8 weeks? I hope it's short and sweet because by the time you finish the engine you'll have like an hour before you hand it in to do the editor work. Well actually I suppose as long as it isn't too long it's entirely possible, if you spend every waking moment on it, with the help of caffeine of course!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Whisper Wind
Years of Service
User Offline
Rapscallion is right, you'll need all the time you can get. 8 weeks is a very short time to complete something this large. You could try searching the web for some of your 3d models, and this site has free music: http://www.michaelhuang.com/mp32.html I hope the combat is turn based because this is much easier! If it isn't perhaps you should consider changing it. Turn based combat isn't that hard to figure out, just time consuming to make it look nice. Check out what equilibrium (I think thats how it's spelled) did and download the demo. Something like that would be the easiest. Also, try to refrain from lots of dialogue choices and voice acting! This is very time consuming too. Instead, don't allow many choices like in some of the final fantasy games. In fact, you should rip a lot from final fantasy, especially the battle system. You don't have time to attempt something like Neverwinter Nights!If you run into a wall don't hesitate to post it here and we'll try to help you! Good luck, you'll need it!
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 10:23
My RPG is like zelda not like Never Winter Nights . I have now done jumping, strafing, and almost finished the collision. There was a question I wanted ask earlier, why is DBPro's get object collision worse than DB's?

Quote from my brother:

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 14:50
Good luck

I would point out Zelda isn't strictly a RPG, no experience points and levels etc. but thats already been discussed here.

If you have no modelling experience, it would probably save you a whole load of time to simply use plains for you character, and texture them with characters, or even use scvalled sprites. Modelling, wrapping and animation are the hardest things in almost any project.

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 16:06
I said it would be LIKE zelda . Except there will be experience and levels. Though the bad news is that my workload from school on my other subjects is getting larger, and i always need to put work before dbpro. The bad thing is that it takes lots of time to do work. On top of that I have an english assesment task and im not english! huff... puff...

I hope i dont over stress myself...

I've done the collision nicely. I am going to start on modelling soon then i'll post them to see if its good or not

Quote from my brother:

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 18:01
See unlike some people i put DB before school(i don't go to any classes except my freinds a+ class ) I know maybe i should goto school classes but i'm better at this than i am english(i'm not saying math cause you need math to do programming )

-Eric

Since 1999.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 18:51 Edited at: 14th May 2003 18:52
man i thought i was the only one yeah, you could say in a way i put programming games b4 school! heck, if ur gonna make a life 4 urself out of making games why waist time with school! i mean, getting an education and a degree at the end of it all is kinda like a back-up future 4 me.

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 19:14
well making a living through making games is v.difficult since its increasingly popular. I also put programming before school Oh and last thing... you barely need maths to program, its just those with the brains which can handle the different math formulae and concepts can generally handle the concepts involved with programming. Maths itself isnt needed to an extent...
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 22:16
all about the algebra

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 00:30 Edited at: 15th May 2003 00:32
i hate maths .. and i'm no good in them either ..
maybe its my own fault that my brains are useless .. i ain't blaming God or anyone

i always wonder how i can survive until now

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 12:47
Well I have to do work before I do my leisure stuff. My parents are quite strict when it comes to work.

Most of you are past highschool right? Does that means you dont have as much work to do? I'm in a selective school you know, so the work may be in a higher standard than of others.

Anyway because of the workload of school, I havent done much progress since. But if some uses milkshape3d well, then can you give some tips?

Quote from my brother:

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 02:16
Ok, just one small detail but how are you going to get into a collage or uni these days when you don't get through highschool?
I mean seriously, you need ALL the courses, even if it isn't practical they look at your marks.
And please don't tell me you plan to skip collage/uni because you have pure skills. Let me tell you something, there are a LOT of ppl with pure skills who also have a degree. There are also a LOT of ppl who don't have as good skills and also have a degree. When companys that are worth anything hire, they look for skills sure. But anyone can tell you big companies are VERY big on finding people who can learn, especially in this industry. Someone can learn to do more work, or learn the most up-to-date techniques to cut down on staff needed to save money. You may be able to learn, but without the highschool diploma and collage/uni degree/diploma/certificate to back it up, your out of a job. Sorry!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 04:37
kfoong, good luck on your arduous venture. I took on the same kind of endeavor but I began with a wealth of time on my hands and had already had a lot of programming experience. Unfortunately, I'm still working on my project. My parents are also strict on the matters of education. Once again, good luck.

A little off topic, but rapscaLLion, I might suggest to you to correct a slight error with the link to your site (WWW button). I believe it was is a result of a simple error, but when clicked it tries to find the URL "http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/www.dbwn.cjb.net" instead of "http://www.dbwn.cjb.net". To correct this simply go to your "profile" and append the "http://" to the beginning of the link. Just some (hopefully) useful advice.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2003 07:19
Oh lol thanks, I removed it because it is no longer updated.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2003 13:53
i can't believe you get to make a game for DT my school it clothes making, wood work and graphic (not good two year of drawing straight lines) and food i choose food so i know how to cook at uni but if i could make a game i would have done that everytime. but any look luck with the game. i'm in the middle of my own sollist RPG must of its easy once the engine is up i just take time 9sorry i know you don't have much).

crystal

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Current project:The Sorus
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 21:23 Edited at: 18th May 2003 21:25
Back in the days when i was doing my A-levels, for our A2 computing projects, while everyone else was making boring databases and data storing systems with microsoft visual basic and access i chose to do something different (ignoring my teachers constant advices that making a database was a sure A grade)

i was kinda studying space shuttles for a physics project and said hey, why not kill 2 birds with one stone, using the knowledge i got from reading for the physics project i made a space shuttle simulation program, you basically enter the values for the shuttle specs like weight, fuel weight, engine thrust etc (in visual basic) then run the 3D simulation (values transfered to dark basic) took a while to do but i enjoyed every minute of it! and guess what i became the first guy to ever score 100% in an A-level computing project in my school and i got the A-level computing prize! all thanks to Dark Basic

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 21:48
you get to do that stuff on an ICT cource i thought you only could do that in computer science

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Current project:The Sorus
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 15:41
Crystal: For my DT I am allowed to make anything, as long as it is not dangerous or in appropriate . All of the girls are making clothes. 2 people are working on a mini hot air balloon, 1 person is working on a solar car and I think only one person is making a rocket . I dont know how that was counted as not dangerous .

hexgear: I'm also working on visual basic and I'm in the top of my class in programming .

OK now ive done enough so I can start on the message box. The message box is going to be like the one in Zelda where the letters are printed out onto the screen like a type writer. I have a good idea of how to do this. I am also going to have the the words coloured when their is a word that gives us a clue of something. The problem is I have very little idea of how to do this. I could make it like the html type things when you want to make it bold you make the [, the B and the ]. If someone knows how to do this please tell me.

Quote from my brother:

Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 19:48 Edited at: 19th May 2003 19:57
Hmm...might work...be sure to include special tags like [ Name ] for the character's name and [ Cash ] for money. For colors, don't use rgb-ish coordinates, since you could just use a simple tag like
[ Red ] or [ Purple ], and simply set the color values for "purple" and "red" at the start of your program using variables.
oof...I had a few bugs in the last snippit. here's the revised version. It's 2d so it should work...

"Not all that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost, not all that is old does not whither, deep roots are not reached by the frost..." - Aragorn (Strider)
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 22:47
thankyou I needed something to this effect.

got the url wrong so this one should be correct.

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 06:40
wow I didnt expect anyone to give an full code! Thanks for your help! I'll try it when I get home

Quote from my brother:

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 06:51
indi what do you mean in your post?

Quote from my brother:

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 07:15
i made a mistake when posting the image if thats what u mean

Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 08:02
glad to help!

"Not all that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost, not all that is old does not whither, deep roots are not reached by the frost..." - Aragorn (Strider)
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 10:07
cheer MR Underhill your in the credits for that one

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 10:53
He will definitely be in my credits!

Quote from my brother:

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 11:22
Cool it works! Its everything I wanted. Though there is one thing how do i change the font to arial ?

Quote from my brother:

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 13:10
set text font "Arial"

Daih thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
Blame it on INSANITY!
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 15:07 Edited at: 20th May 2003 16:19
theres another problem you can make only one line

EDIT: I foresaw this problem though i didnt know the answer

Quote from my brother:

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 16:19
to change the font add a line set text font "fontname"

re use the function to repeat the usage on everyline u want.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 16:20
oops didnt refresh the page and missed a few posts.

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 16:53
what do you mean 'reuse the function to repeat the usage on everyline you want'? :-s

Quote from my brother:

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2003 20:02
the call to the function can be re used over and over.

textbox(msg1$)
textbox(msg2$)
etc.

or

for i = 1 to 10
textbox(msg$)
endif
it needs more as this simply produces the same line multiple times.
this is one great aspect of a function.

It depends on how you manage your lines of text.

Dont forget u can add parameters to the function you could add 2 new paramters for the x and y position of the set cursor command.

eg:

function textbox(x,y,msg$)

bla

set cursor x,y

bla

bla

endfunction

Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 04:19 Edited at: 21st May 2003 04:28
Calling the command again would just re-print the second line over the first. Remember, it would re-draw the box, too.
You could implement an auto-wrap to make sure the text does a carrige-return when it reaches the end of the screen. It'd be an easy fix and it might cut words in half :-s but it'll work.
To fix the word-cutting bug you could either check for spaces and/or use something to the effect of a line break (like [ BR ]) by printing an empty string (""). If the message is too big to fit in the box, you could do a wait key, and when a key is pressed reset the cursor and write the rest.
I'll try to put this all in as a revision to my original snippit.

-Underhill

Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 04:54
OK. Here it is. It won't automatically search for spaces, but with a few [ BR ]s it will work fine.

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2003 13:15
Cool it works! and you even made it go make anothe text box when it reaches the end! Thankyou again! Though there is another problem (they just keep coming ) I cant see it when I put it into my game. The game just freezes and when you press anykey it unfreezes and all my texts are green... can you fix this I have no Idea what to do :-s

Quote from my brother:

Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2003 08:42
make sure that draw to front is in your program somewhere. If it already is, try drawing the message to a bitmap, geting an image from it, and making a sprite from the image (might be a bit slow, but it'll work). Also, I don't think it's compatible with sync so you may have to use sync off before using it. I'll try to fix this soon.
-Underhill

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 03:27 Edited at: 24th May 2003 03:43
And again Mr. Underhill has fixed my problem! I turned off the sync when the function starts but turn it off when it has finished. Thanks again Mr. Underhill! But there is a strange problem nothing to do with your coding I think, maybe my error. It claims that BOX is a user defined function in my game. This doesn't happen with the lone version. I probably figure it out eventually...

[EDIT] sigh... when I add the sync on and sync off, it says that the INK is now a user defined function. I tried deleting it and testing it to see if it works and now it says the empty space where the ink was is a user defined function. It may be because of the patch because I think it worked before I installed it.

Quote from my brother:

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2003 05:24
Now I've fixed up that little bug but it still doesnt work. The blue box appears there for an instant then disappears. The words also appear for an instant but are in the places they are supposed to be.

[EDIT] Ok, the baox stays there now by constantly making the box when it is printing but another problem is the words still disappear but now it stays in the beginning.

Quote from my brother:

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2003 10:55
hmm no answer. I think I will drop the this. And settle with the words that popup. I only have 5 weeks to go, and I'm wasting time here.

Quote from my brother:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:19:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:19:41