Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Making an RPG in 22 weeks (technically less than 8 weeks) :D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 06:13
hmm...I got the same problem. The program is drawing 3d stuff over 2d stuff (except text). Here's a revised version of the program, and now it's sync compatible. It's a bit slow (it uses get image) and uses up bitmap 1, image 1, and sprite 1, but it'll work.
Hope this helps...
-Underhill

P.S. Sorry about not getting back sooner...I had to work on a report.

"Not all that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost, not all that is old does not whither, deep roots are not reached by the frost..." - Aragorn (Strider)
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 08:18
consider writing it all to bitmap 0 then get image 1 then hand over to bitmap 1

the example you have provided seems ok also.

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 12:05
Thanks again underhill, I'll test it out. Well my game is only 500 lines. Thats only in three weeks. For the Retro Compo I typed up more than 1000 lines in two and a half weeks. Maybe because the work load was much lighter then...

Heh... Mule...
http://www.stellarblue.vze.com/
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 12:14
Ok sorry, heres another problem when the textbox is done with its talking, it disappears. I may be able to fix this if I put time into this. But I need to use my time effectively.

Meanwhile I have been working on the menu and selecting systems. Not much big bugs yet but I'm sure there will be soon enough. I'll make a screeny when (if?) I'm done.

Heh... Mule...
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 14:45 Edited at: 26th May 2003 14:58
I've finished the selection box finaly! I can use this to make my menus, for buying and other selection things. Here is a small screeny:

Heheh just joking .

(heh when you say no the game ends...)
what do you think? The whole thing (except for the arrow) was programmed using DBP. So the box is not an imported image. The only problem with this is that the arrow sprite has a white square behind it. I'll fix this up later.

Here is another image to show that the box can be easily manipulated.

I think the arrow looks a bit bad so I may change it later if people want me to. I should get the menu systems done soon, I'll do the shops later.

Heh heh... Mule...
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 19:47
Hi again. I figured out the problem with the dissapearing text box.
The problem was in a single line of code, so here's the revision. I gave you the whole thing because it's easier to copy-and-paste it than to locate the one line. I've been doing this quickly, so sorry for the little bugs. I appreciate finding them, it keeps me on my toes. Hope it's right this time.
-Underhill

P.S. Those screen shots you posted look really good.

"Not all that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost, not all that is old does not whither, deep roots are not reached by the frost..." - Aragorn (Strider)
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 21:47
Hey UH, for me alls that code was make a type-writer type function!

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Go to the Eternal Destiny Forum!
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 02:29
The code was designed to make a text box.
Did you get something different? Or am I missing the point here?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 05:43
I may be making a mistake, but the sample you put up sure dosen't look like the code you just posted. Did you put up an older function?

It *looks* good, it just don't *run* good.

You're a very fast coder btw

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 09:15
The revision I posted today is the same code as the last one, except that I took out 1 line to fix a problem (disappearing text box). I didn't put up an older function. You say it looks good, but it doesn't run good. What does that mean, what's it doing? On my computer, it seems to work OK. I'll do what I can to help.
-Underhill

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 16:50
Sorry guys, again no progress since last time. Work load is growing again and need to finish them.

Mr Underhill thanks for the comments.

Heh heh... Mule...
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 12:30
I have now finished the modelling the character. And now I am animating it. Wow, I didn't know animating stances and attacks were so hard! I'll post a screenshot of my unskinned character soon.

Heh heh... Mule...
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 14:54 Edited at: 29th May 2003 15:26
ok here are two screenshots of my character in its modelled form and in its fighter stance.

I did the modelling in Wings3D and the animation in MilkShape3D for the people who want to know. Finishing all the moves and attacks (there will be 12 attacks total) will take a week, more or less. The 3D model doesnt have any hands because so it will make it easier for me. The model has only 900 polygons. Thats why it looks so polygonish, I did this so the game performance would be fast for slow computers (like the computers at my school ).

Not bad for the first time at modelling humans eh?

[EDIT] Oh and I forgot to add, there is no sword because it will be a different object that will be 'glued' on to the hand limb.

Heh heh... Mule...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 00:42
Looks good to me. Is he supposed to proportioned like a young kid though? Regardless, that's quite a good model.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 13:49
yeah he is supposed to be around 14 to 17 years. I cant decide which . I need more comments, I'm losing motivation here...

Heh heh... Mule...
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 20:21
Well it looks good, you're going strong from what I can tell but I must warn you, leave LOTS of time for editor work and finishing touches once the engine is done, that stuff takes a lot longer than you'd think...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 22:54
You've got a basic object; make sure the controls are good, collision is good, you can jump and crouch if neccessary, whatever else might be needed. Always basics before polish. Good luck.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 06:27
dont worry mate, there will be times you want to pack it in.
The more you add to the project the harder it will be to let it go.
just keep working on parts that can be altered or a new method can be dropped in later if you happen to find a better way to do something.

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2003 08:16
Thanks everyone for the comments!
I've made a mistake in the keyframe for Milkshape3d But its letting me delete it. Nothing happens when I go CTRL+SHIFT+K or delete keyframe. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Heh heh... Mule...
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2003 16:48
hey bud, first howmuch time left?

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2003 06:17
3 WEEKS! :-s

Heh heh... Mule...
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2003 18:06
by the way... if you intend to do sword collision as i remember reading... gluing the object to the limb will get you all the wrong results... i.e. when its colliding it wont know it. I had the same problem with the hammer in my retro entry. if you havent thought of this, here's a way round it... otherwise ignore the following:

make the model with sword included, then when you press the attack button, have it run the animation etc, but without syncing, move the whole object forward, adn check collision, if you move it forward twice, once half the length of the other, you can work out if the sword is hitting an enemy sword or body judging by the distance apart. If this makes no sense, ill explain more detailed if necessary.

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2003 16:28
I think I get what you mean, but the way I think you're explaining is a bad and inefficient way . I dont think I get what you mean, please explain in more detail please

Heh heh... Mule...
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2003 02:36
well... in full and long almost tutorial-like form

now i recommend u make 2 models for your character... i of his whole body missing an arm... and one of the arm weilding the sword. This is planning ahead for a problem u will undoubtebly encounter. more on that later.

Now you'll have to animate the arm separately from the body and still make sure it looks right should be no problem. When in darkbasic, u cant just glue the arm to the limb because i dont think the animation will run... although it may be worth trying it 1st... i cant remember. but if not, at the beginning of every loop u'll have to position the arm at the eaxat position and angle of the center of the body... the move it in which ever directions necessary.. this will involve alot of experimentation.

Once you have the arm, looking like it is part of the body, you can add attack button. Now by having the arm separate, it means the attack animation wont distub the body animation... so when in mid-run your character wont suddenly stop, do the attack, then carry on running. If that is what you want then i recommend ignoring the above, and just having the whole body, sword and all as one big body.

For collision: You intend to rotate the arm with the sword glued to limb then use the check collision commands, or the position comparison. Neither of these work. When you glue to limb it completely fudges up everything about the glues object to do w#with position size etc... so... instead:

When you press the attack button, have the model move forward x units (depending on how far his could could reach), but dont update the screen... instead check collision... if not then have him move back to where he was and carry on as normal without hitting anything... but if there is collision, have him move back to where his sword would be touching the other persons sword... if there is still collision the opponent has aprried the attack... of not, then you have hit because you are close enough.

Will take alot of experimentation... and there is probably a better way... but im remaking prince of persia and thats how im doing it until i think of summit better

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2003 13:30 Edited at: 7th Jun 2003 13:31
I am using DBPro. So for the animation, I am using mesh deformation, so using the arm as a seperate object is not such a good idea. It will look like a body with an arm that has been just stuck there.

Heh heh... Mule...
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2003 03:14
time is running out..

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 04:58
Ok, I have decided that I will go with magic only. Here is a screenshot of the fireballs I have created.

The sword fighting animation took too long to do so I'm cutting that out to turn into magic-only game. This took me a while to do because I am still new to particle effects and there were a lot of arrays to create. As you can see I have not implemented the character, it is still a box. I will finish that later, now I will do the experience, HP, magic points, and other stuff.

Heh heh... Mule...
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 05:20
How much time left?

hehehe, nevermind don't reply just keep working!

Yellow's Modeling site
http://www23.brinkster.com/yellowmodels/default.htm
Check here to see my various 3d models
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2003 06:49
gl and keep on coding!!!

---Mattman
"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done." Andy Rooney
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 14:19
ok I have less than a week to finish this, the teacher said you can cut things out, that saves me alot. Now this is what I have planned in mind. I am going to have turrets instead of enemies because make enemies that walk across the terrain takes too long and I am going to have One lvl. The turrets fire fireballs at you so you have to shoot the turrets and dodge their fireballs.

I think I can finish the turret configuration by tomorrow then I'll finish off the modelling and that should take about a day or less. After that I'll start the levels. My dead line is Thursday. Wish me luck everyone!

Heh heh... Mule...
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 16:35
***plays jepardy theme*** doo doo doo doo dooo dooo do

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 18:24
good luck lol

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
ceocan2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 00:51 Edited at: 21st Jun 2003 02:05

ceocan2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 00:52
by the way, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 01:47
[EDIT]

notice that I was angry and & also replying bad words like this little noob here.
I'll let the rest do the flaming for me.

In any case, mind your manners ceocan2, and respect wat other ppl are trying to do, knowing that u are new here.

ceocan2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 02:07
Sorry didn't mean it by that way (removed the post). Sorry!!!!

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 03:00
its oki dude, no harm done. thx for editing ur post.

Welcome to the Forum

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 03:32
what? what did he say? what did i miss?

Heh heh... Mule...
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2003 05:10
And again I've surprised myself with the modelling. This time it only took 30 mins to finish the modelling that I had started earlier. After I have put the animations in I will start of the buildings

Heh heh... Mule...
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 01:46
hope u can release it here for us after u submit it to ur teacher
(oh yea, and tell us ur marks when u got it back!)

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 05:28
Thanks Solidz Snake

Ok I have a problem, what do i use to make the level? I could use milkshape, but it is not really what it is used for. Does anyone have any program that they can refer to me?

Heh heh... Mule...
Lonnie
Years of Service
User Offline
Would MatEdit (Matrix Editor) Work? There is a free version that some one programed...
but I cant remeber where I got it from... sorry. But I will search for the site!

And Good Luck!!!

Wow you only have till thursday, I hope you had fun (and will still have fun) programing!

Good Luck Man!

Lonnie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 08:04 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2003 08:06
Ok I found the site, and its rather obvious what the name of the site is.
Its http://www.matedit.com/

And click on the Download page then click on the MatEdit V1.6 *Full Version* to start downloading it.

And click on the MatEdit page to read like a 15 page description of it.

Hope it will help (ive never used the program though... And I dont know if it would help but it was a idea, and hey I did try to help)

Good Luck!

¬Lonnie

EDIT-

PS Its for DB

Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2003 08:09
I think Bryce is an amazing program for terrains, and it exports directly to .x files , which you can convert to .bsp's.

"You're drawing too much attention to yourself, 'Mr.Underhill'!" - Aragorn (Strider)
Hexagram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2003 19:44
I don't know how much time you have left but if your running out of time and things looked doomed, is it too late to change the project to a demo!

Home is where the heart is, on the bus! (-gj Gillete Cavalcade of sports)
kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2003 16:06
ok tomorrow is when this is due. I've decided to make it an arena type thing and there will be more enemies every level, you also gain score.

I've completed it already and I need to finish the high score thingy.I also need to type up a 5 page evaluation by tomorrow and I haven't started it.

But so tired... Must keep... awake... Zzzzzzzz...

Heh heh... Mule...
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2003 00:05
*pours a bucket of cold icy water on kfoong's head*
Wake up dude! finish ur typing! lol!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:39:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:39:50